Gestational Diabetes

So far, my readings are quite low:

6.2 = after almost 1 hour from dinner. (I just tested even if it's not yet 2 hours just to try my new kit)
Dinner: 5T rice, 2 small pieces of breaded pork chop, mixed veggies, a slice of fish, 3 slices of cucumber, 2T lemon with 1T honey, half apple

4.2 = Before breakfast
4.9 = 2 hours after breakfast.
Breakfast: Freshmilk with 1 teaspoon of Milo (not heaping), 4T rice, corned beef, scrambled egg

Is it okay if it's a little below the normal range? If the readings continue to be within the normal range, is it possible that I have no GDM? My HbA1c was normal - the average daily sugar for 3 months and fasting blood sugar was normal. But after drinking the orange drink, it was 8.9. But 2 hours after breakfast, my reading was only 4.9.

How to draw more blood when you prick? I'm using Accuchek Active and I've already set to 3, but still, I can't get enough blood most of the time even if I squeeze.

Your readings look ok, but do bear in mind that glucose meter does subject to certain level of error. Lab test is always the most accurate. Even if your reading continue to be normal doesn't mean that you have no GDM, it only means your diet is effective to keep your blood sugar level at a normal level. For most of people had GDM, their 3mth fasting and HbA1c were normal.

I got GD too but my babies are not big just 2.1kg and 2.4 kg at week 35 (twinnies). Don't think GD can cause my babies to become bigger.

What's this 3 mth fasting? KKH took my blood sample say wan to test my blood sugar for past 3 mths but no result was given. So should I call the Nutritional hotline to check or my Gynae when I see him?

Maybe when we test daily, we pass the results. But fail when we drink that sweet orange drink. How soon we need to test again after childbirth? Wonder if it affects buying insurance for our baby a not?

My peanut butter barely cover the bread. May be less than one teaspoon. I just make my bread taste a little better.
My gyne said baby's big coz she gained 500 g in 2 weeks. So now I try To eat lesser rice and I love rice :(
GD mummy tends to give birth early and I'm trying to hold on till 38 week plus as hubby is not back from business trip.
As other mummies had mentioned my thumb yield the best result too. I just need to squeeze a little and the blood is always enough.
My dietician told me not to eat dry noodles so if I eat noddle it will always be soup. And can't drink the soup.

Oh how heavy is your bb? Are you eating brown rice? Not exactly all GD mums tend to give birth early. My gynae don't want to induce me and I'm 38+5 weeks today le. For me I don't prick my thumb also the nurse in odac programme don't advice but it solely depends on individuals no right or wrong. Hehe for me if i eat soup noodles, I don't care will drink abit of soup. Even if I eat yong tau hoo also will drink soup.

I got GD too but my babies are not big just 2.1kg and 2.4 kg at week 35 (twinnies). Don't think GD can cause my babies to become bigger.

What's this 3 mth fasting? KKH took my blood sample say wan to test my blood sugar for past 3 mths but no result was given. So should I call the Nutritional hotline to check or my Gynae when I see him?

Maybe when we test daily, we pass the results. But fail when we drink that sweet orange drink. How soon we need to test again after childbirth? Wonder if it affects buying insurance for our baby a not?

HbA1c is your average daily blood sugar for the last three months. It doesn't require fasting.

It is recommended to take the OGTT 6 weeks after giving birth. But I find it hard to do the OGTT later, as we need to fast for too long. How are we going to tahan that if we also have to pump milk? We easily get hungry. It also means bringing the pump with you while taking the test.

In between tests, does it mean that there is no food or water intake?

Last week, after 2 days that I didn't get any call from NUH, I called them to ask for the result for peace of mind. My result on the first blood test was normal at 4.7. After drinking the glucose drink, it was 8.9. And all along, I thought I had passed! Good thing, I called!

But when I took another blood test last Wednesday, my Hba1C was normal. This was my average daily blood sugar for the last 3 months.

For those who took the OGTT after giving birth, may I know how you found the time to do so? Apart from fasting, we also need to pump, and being away from home for more than 3 hours means that you brought along your pump while waiting?

Btw, when I showed the dietician my meals the previous day, she advised me to eat more as I only gained 5 kg and my carbo intake is only 4-5 tablespoons of rice per meal. :D

My gynae is quite lenient. She said that I can prick for 6x a day only, as some would complain that they may have already fallen asleep 3 hours after dinner.
technically u aren't supposed to pump / nurse when u are doing the ogtt. Cos u are removing glucose ... just pump before u do the test and then quickly pump again when done

technically u aren't supposed to pump / nurse when u are doing the ogtt. Cos u are removing glucose ... just pump before u do the test and then quickly pump again when done

So for more than 10 hours, you're not pumping/nursing?? For breastfeeding moms can't do the OGTT then?

They recommend 6weeks after delivery to take the post partum ogtt. Ya gdm does not necessarily lead to big bb. Mine was delivered at 2.7kg at w39.

Early morning, my reading was 4.2, before breakfast. Tonight, 2 hours after dinner, it was only 4.0. I tested again, and it's 3.9. Is something wrong with my glucometer? I'm using Accuchek Active. Early morning should be the lowest, right?

Last edited:
Early morning, my reading was 4.2, before breakfast. Tonight, 2 hours after dinner, it was only 4.0. I tested again, and it's 3.9. Is something wrong with my glucometer? I'm using Accuchek Active. Early morning should be the lowest, right?

U can test it on your hubby to see hw is the readings like? U just bought the glucose meter?

My water bag burst on a Fri morning aroUnd 10 n I went to labour ward but wasn't dilated so they induced me. But I only gave birth next day afternoon at 430pm. Long wait....

I see, I am abit worried coz 38+6 weeks still no signs of mucus plug discharge but I have menstrual like cramps on n off for the past 2 weeks. Afraid bb dun want to come out, overdue. Was the contractions very painful? How does it feels? Did u go for epidural

I see, I am abit worried coz 38+6 weeks still no signs of mucus plug discharge but I have menstrual like cramps on n off for the past 2 weeks. Afraid bb dun want to come out, overdue. Was the contractions very painful? How does it feels? Did u go for epidural
it is quite nasty. . plus whenever one came I felt like I was going to poop big time. the epidural ? I felt bad too ... and tje ring of fire when my dd was vacuumed out.

Can test with your hubby blood sugar and see if it looks reasonable. Morning may not be the lowest, it's all depends on your last meal and what was your activity level in between.

Well, when bb wanna come out he/she will come out, just patiently and happily wait.
For me the bag burst by itself, i didn't feel any contractions pain until I was put into oxytocin drip to help to speed up dilation and get more regular active contractions, then I realized its about time to call for epidural hahaha....

Well, when bb wanna come out he/she will come out, just patiently and happily wait.
For me the bag burst by itself, i didn't feel any contractions pain until I was put into oxytocin drip to help to speed up dilation and get more regular active contractions, then I realized its about time to call for epidural hahaha....

I tot for GDM mummies, doc will normally induce the pregnancy? Today I went for my gynae appt. Bb weigh at 3-3.1kg tmrw is my 39 week le. So bb weight still ok? I tot bb will weigh like 3.5-3.6kg coz tummy very heavy. Oh how long was your labour?

Can test with your hubby blood sugar and see if it looks reasonable. Morning may not be the lowest, it's all depends on your last meal and what was your activity level in between.

Yup agree my readings after breakfast always 6.9 very funny. But went down to 5.5 when I changed to multigrain bread.

Breakfast with 6.9 reading: 2 pcs of gardenia wholemeal bread with 1 scrambled egg, 1 slice of reduced fat cheese, 4 slices of tomatoes and lots of cucumber. Sometimes I will go with a cup of Hi cal low fat milk or mr bean soya milk no sugar.

I tot for GDM mummies, doc will normally induce the pregnancy? Today I went for my gynae appt. Bb weigh at 3-3.1kg tmrw is my 39 week le. So bb weight still ok? I tot bb will weigh like 3.5-3.6kg coz tummy very heavy. Oh how long was your labour?
I wasn't induced. lo was abt 3.2kg 3 days b4 I popped. she weighed 3.555kg at birth. labor was abt 5 plus hrs

Is it still healthy to have a reading of 4.0 two hours after dinner with not much physical activity? My readings are either within normal range or below. Most of the time, it's below normal range. Will test with hubby tonight.

Ya pretty painful n I did opt for epidural but can still feel the pain.

Is it still healthy to have a reading of 4.0 two hours after dinner with not much physical activity? My readings are either within normal range or below. Most of the time, it's below normal range. Will test with hubby tonight.

Hmmm sounds abit low. How is the reading with your hubby?

Induce or not depends on a lot of factors, don't think GDM alone would contribute to the decision, if your blood sugar is in control and no other risk there is no reason to induce. Your bb weight is good, dont worry. My labour was 20hrs+, won't say very long compare to mummies struggling for days, won't consider to be short either.

Induce or not depends on a lot of factors, don't think GDM alone would contribute to the decision, if your blood sugar is in control and no other risk there is no reason to induce. Your bb weight is good, dont worry. My labour was 20hrs+, won't say very long compare to mummies struggling for days, won't consider to be short either.

I don't know if my blood sugar is well controlled for the past 2 weeks. Coz my gynae asked me to stop pricking at 37 weeks. Nw I am 39+1 weeks le. Wah 20+hrs so u had pain for that long. Were you on epidural?

hi all i b doing my GD test next week.after reading some of your posts i got kinda worried. i enjoy sweets like chocolates & ice cream after my meal. :(

Hi mummies, I have popped last week at 38 wks! Natural delivery. Baby had low blood sugar upon birth but thankfully was resolved within a day and he was cleared for discharge.

Currently topping up my LO feed with FM as I am not sure if my BM is sufficient for him (haven't tried expressing so far). Any mummies doing the same for their LO?

On GD, I'm really curious as I've been stuffed with so much sugary food since giving birth (milo, biscuits in hosp etc). Also it's hard to adhere to GD diet with confinement menu? My gynae said to try my best not to go overboard. Did anyone do finger prick testing post birth? I don't feel like doing it :/ partly because I'm scared of seeing the results..!

Hi mummies, I have popped last week at 38 wks! Natural delivery. Baby had low blood sugar upon birth but thankfully was resolved within a day and he was cleared for discharge.

Currently topping up my LO feed with FM as I am not sure if my BM is sufficient for him (haven't tried expressing so far). Any mummies doing the same for their LO?

On GD, I'm really curious as I've been stuffed with so much sugary food since giving birth (milo, biscuits in hosp etc). Also it's hard to adhere to GD diet with confinement menu? My gynae said to try my best not to go overboard. Did anyone do finger prick testing post birth? I don't feel like doing it :/ partly because I'm scared of seeing the results..!

Hello, me too popped at 39 weeks :) I am also going for my OGTT in 6 weeks time. When I was in the ward also drank milo and ate biscuits. I also anyhow whack food (ate white rice, thosai, mee goreng etc) maybe too deprived of nice good during our GDM period. Suspected got UTI so am drinking cranberry juice also. Haiz so many things start to pop out. I also have severe hamerriods due to the pushing. Do anyone here experience the same problem?

Hello, me too popped at 39 weeks :) I am also going for my OGTT in 6 weeks time. When I was in the ward also drank milo and ate biscuits. I also anyhow whack food (ate white rice, thosai, mee goreng etc) maybe too deprived of nice good during our GDM period. Suspected got UTI so am drinking cranberry juice also. Haiz so many things start to pop out. I also have severe hamerriods due to the pushing. Do anyone here experience the same problem?

Same here! I've been taking Daflon medication for piles for a week now since giving birth but they're still there . Gynae suggested putting cream but I don't dare to touch that area so am just relying on oral medication. How abt you?

Am totally eating all the 'forbidden' GD food now, snacking a lot as well. Think BF is causing this massive surge in appetite. Really hope it doesn't affect the post partum OGTT.

Same here! I've been taking Daflon medication for piles for a week now since giving birth but they're still there . Gynae suggested putting cream but I don't dare to touch that area so am just relying on oral medication. How abt you?

Am totally eating all the 'forbidden' GD food now, snacking a lot as well. Think BF is causing this massive surge in appetite. Really hope it doesn't affect the post partum OGTT.

U went back to see your gynae recently? I am to see my gynae only 6 weeks later. For my piles I went to polyclinic but the daflon is the generic type didn't help much. So today my mum went to pharmacy and get the original daflon n the pharmacist recommended a cream to apply. The cream helps for me in reliving pain. Same same hehehe every time after expressing milk I will feel hungry n want to snack more.

Yup keeping fingers crossed for the OGTT in 6 weeks, yours will be in 5 weeks time ya.

Hi all . I popped at wk 37 , tested glucose level bk to normal for 2 days at hospital & been eating normal since then ,as in kopi, milo, rice, beehoon dry w chili & etc.... today went for the glucose test at kkh. Am wondering if any mummies tested dwn w diabetes on wk 6 after popped. Getting wori now. Sigh....

Hi all . I popped at wk 37 , tested glucose level bk to normal for 2 days at hospital & been eating normal since then ,as in kopi, milo, rice, beehoon dry w chili & etc.... today went for the glucose test at kkh. Am wondering if any mummies tested dwn w diabetes on wk 6 after popped. Getting wori now. Sigh....
I was found to have impaired glucose tolerance..

i m tested positive for GD too... borderline at 7.9, passing mark is 7.7.... so sad... baby is small too.... dunno what to do... cannot stop sobbing when i start talking about it

Last edited:
i m tested positive for GD too... borderline at 7.9, passing mark is 7.7.... so sad... baby is small too.... dunno what to do... cannot stop sobbing when i start talking about it
How many weeks r u now? Hey dont be sad ya. I was tested 11 on w28, was also dealing with pre term. I too was devastated. Retested n still fail. My bb is also v small from scans n gynae kept telling me i may need to induce etc etc. When my boy was born on w39, his birth weight was 2.76kg, gynae said sooo small. But guess what, he is at 95th percentile now at 3.5months! Gdm diet not as tough as u imagine, u will actually feel healthier in ur last trimester n good thing is u will lose weight easier after delivering.

Hi all, I popped in my 37th week. Baby weight is 2.69kg. When doing the scan earlier, baby is estimated to be 2.7+kg.

Haven't really checked my GD so far.
Am doing confinement now, also not sure if I should observe the GD diet still.

Hi all, I popped in my 37th week. Baby weight is 2.69kg. When doing the scan earlier, baby is estimated to be 2.7+kg.

Haven't really checked my GD so far.
Am doing confinement now, also not sure if I should observe the GD diet still.
During my confinement, i didn't really keep to my gdm diet but i did take just brown rice and take wholemeal bread n less sweetened red dates tea just in case. I also didn't prick my finger coz no time to monitor.

During my confinement, i didn't really keep to my gdm diet but i did take just brown rice and take wholemeal bread n less sweetened red dates tea just in case. I also didn't prick my finger coz no time to monitor.
Thanks for your reply!! I also been taking the low GI bread and brown rice. However my red date tea is the normal sweet kind and I also do eat biscuits. Wondering if I should observe like before.... The guidelines for the reading differs from during pregnancy already right?

How many weeks r u now? Hey dont be sad ya. I was tested 11 on w28, was also dealing with pre term. I too was devastated. Retested n still fail. My bb is also v small from scans n gynae kept telling me i may need to induce etc etc. When my boy was born on w39, his birth weight was 2.76kg, gynae said sooo small. But guess what, he is at 95th percentile now at 3.5months! Gdm diet not as tough as u imagine, u will actually feel healthier in ur last trimester n good thing is u will lose weight easier after delivering.
Well done in improving his weight! I do hope it aids in losing weight after delivery. :)

Back