Gestational Diabetes

Hi ladies. I had to inject insulin during my 35 wks checkup . Gynea says sugar control have nt been vy good . So ned to inject insulin till birth. Quite worry it might affect bb n myself after birth. Any one have same exp? Care to share

Hi, don't worry! I had GD in week 32. My monitor chart also not good, so doctor prescribed insulin for me to inject 3 times per day. Starting I only need 8 units of insulin, but my diet couldn't control well, so doctor kept increase the units till 40 units per day.

I injected my tummy before meals, got blue black leh. But everything was fine. I delivered my healthy baby last month, me no need any insulin and blood sugar back to normal already. Baby after birth also need to do some blood test to make sure the blood sugar is normal. Thank God, my baby is very healthy and no problem with high/low blood sugar.

Insulin is safe for us and baby. Don't worry. Insulin is the same as our body produces, not chemical.
If our blood sugar too high, Without insulin, baby will be more dangerous.

Just follow your gynae's suggestion, that's the best for you and your baby.

@ongu I din monitor so much and readings always exceed 7 after dinner. But my weight and bb weight all ok at check ups.. In the last visit at 39w gynae estimated 3.2kg but 2 days after bb is only 3kg at birth! So i guess its fine if u can control the weight. The main risk is overweight bb.. My bb sugar level also ok after birth, just a bit pity that the bb heel was pricked to test. Now i gotta pray for the 6w postpartum OGTT! Jiayou mummies!

@ongu I din monitor so much and readings always exceed 7 after dinner. But my weight and bb weight all ok at check ups.. In the last visit at 39w gynae estimated 3.2kg but 2 days after bb is only 3kg at birth! So i guess its fine if u can control the weight. The main risk is overweight bb.. My bb sugar level also ok after birth, just a bit pity that the bb heel was pricked to test. Now i gotta pray for the 6w postpartum OGTT! Jiayou mummies!
Hi there. So bb ned to pricked to test until 6wks?

@Happybump Congrats.. Take care.
@ongu Baby only test after born (not sure how many times they prick), if ok means ok. If u can control your own blood sugar with insulin then baby should be ok. Don't worry.

Hi everyone

Glad to have found this thread and have learnt a lot from all your sharing! I was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago at abt week 22 (result of 8.9) and have been pretty worried since. I realized reading through the thread that there seems to be a huge diff in support/management provided by diff gynaes/hospitals - I was told by the nurse that my results were a bit high and to buy my own gluocometer, then head down to the clinic where she'll tell me what to do. At the clinic, she said that I'll need to take my blood sugar readings 5x a day for 2 days a week and gave me a form to fill in my readings. In terms of dietary advice, only that I should avoid sweet food, fruits (no durians and mangos!), drinks etc, to cut down on white rice etc. But I've since read up on all sorts of healthier diets and plan to follow it throughout!

I'm not overly afraid of needles but pricking myself is clearly a diff matter altogether. Did my first day of prick tests yesterday and it was frankly rather depressing.... Wasn't able to draw enough blood for the test 5 times in a row and wasted so many test strips + delay of one set of 2 hr readings... =( had to activate the hubby do all other tests for me... I had one post lunch reading of 6.9 which is a bit out of range. That got me a little worried too but I guess I'll need to continue monitoring to see how this goes! But i really wonder if/how I'll be able to prick myself!

Hopefully, my levels remain constant and insulin wouldn't be required!

8.9 is really not high, mine was 13.2. Doctor immediately admitted me to ward liao! I stayed in hospital for one week plus to monitor the blood sugar leh. They watched my diet and told me only can eat/drink what hospital provided me. I can't eat/drink anything besides hospital food. I was really hungry those days , because the portion of food was so small...

Thanks for the reassurance ladies! FTM worries about any slight pregnancy hiccups I guess... =)

But well, the prick test must go on until my next gynae appt in 2 weeks time. Not sure, what the doc would say then, so I'm playing it safe!

Hi mummies. Like to ask if any of u is injecting insulin & facing mild blood whn pulling the needle out. Cos i hav beening havind mild blood these few days. Quite wori.

Hi everyone

Glad to have found this thread and have learnt a lot from all your sharing! I was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago at abt week 22 (result of 8.9) and have been pretty worried since. I realized reading through the thread that there seems to be a huge diff in support/management provided by diff gynaes/hospitals - I was told by the nurse that my results were a bit high and to buy my own gluocometer, then head down to the clinic where she'll tell me what to do. At the clinic, she said that I'll need to take my blood sugar readings 5x a day for 2 days a week and gave me a form to fill in my readings. In terms of dietary advice, only that I should avoid sweet food, fruits (no durians and mangos!), drinks etc, to cut down on white rice etc. But I've since read up on all sorts of healthier diets and plan to follow it throughout!

I'm not overly afraid of needles but pricking myself is clearly a diff matter altogether. Did my first day of prick tests yesterday and it was frankly rather depressing.... Wasn't able to draw enough blood for the test 5 times in a row and wasted so many test strips + delay of one set of 2 hr readings... =( had to activate the hubby do all other tests for me... I had one post lunch reading of 6.9 which is a bit out of range. That got me a little worried too but I guess I'll need to continue monitoring to see how this goes! But i really wonder if/how I'll be able to prick myself!

Hopefully, my levels remain constant and insulin wouldn't be required!

I wasted a few test strips too when I first used them.

Found that pricking on thumb helps.

And press a bit harder against thumb when you are trying to prick.

I wasted a few test strips too when I first used them.

Found that pricking on thumb helps.

And press a bit harder against thumb when you are trying to prick.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, that's what my hubby tells me too... I think I've had more success with thumb and pinkie. I guess I just need to overcome my feelings about pressing hard and pricking in...

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, that's what my hubby tells me too... I think I've had more success with thumb and pinkie. I guess I just need to overcome my feelings about pressing hard and pricking in...

I was afraid of pain too but I told myself better to get it done once and for all rather then ending up having to prick twice.

Don't need to press really hard. Slightly harder should be enough.

Hi! Just to share that i have delivered and evrything is normal.. Bb is of small side at 3kg, 39w4d. I din really control diet for the past 2-3 wks, almost everyday has one or two indulgence. So chill out if ur weight is in control gals!
Congrats Happy Bump!

A month after I was diagnosed at 8.5, I have been pricking quite frequently (the 7times for 2 days), to test out new food, to test out dinner timing (because post dinner results tend to be higher) etc.

My Gynae didn't even look at the chart I made. She was surprised or shocked. Rather, she looked at my baby weight & my own weight. 4wks ago, I weight 58.2kg and now I weigh 58.8kg. Baby increased from 800plus g to 1500plus g. Baby weight is normal, so is my weight control. Thus, she told me not to prick anymore, only to prick when I want to try out new food.

At the end of the day, I realised it's how strict the gynae is. Like mt a, the std is 6.7 two hours post meal, whereas my gynae's is 7 two hours post meal. She even said mine is no GD, but glucose impair.

Anyway, I come to realize what food I can eat and what I cannot eat. I will stick to brown rice as staple for lunch & dinner, one protein and vegetables. Occasional indulgence - I shan't measure.

One more thing, if you ladies have craving for ice cream, I recommend sugalight. I had my dinner on Sunday at Abt 7pm, ate 1 scoop of vanilla Ice cream at 9.20pm. So I test the result of ice cream at 1120pm. It was 5.7. So I reckon this ice cream is really what has been recommended for, diabetic friendly. for sharing!

One more thing, if you ladies have craving for ice cream, I recommend sugalight. I had my dinner on Sunday at Abt 7pm, ate 1 scoop of vanilla Ice cream at 9.20pm. So I test the result of ice cream at 1120pm. It was 5.7. So I reckon this ice cream is really what has been recommended for, diabetic friendly. for sharing!
Where can I buy this sugalight ice cream?

For mums who have delivered, do you still do random testing? Hows your glucose level if you have normal diet? I have normal diet but dont have the meter to check. Gotta wait til 6-w OGTT to see if i can really bid GDM goodbye..

For mums who have delivered, do you still do random testing? Hows your glucose level if you have normal diet? I have normal diet but dont have the meter to check. Gotta wait til 6-w OGTT to see if i can really bid GDM goodbye..

I like to know too.

However my next appointment will be only in 3 months time.

Did my post partum ogtt last Fri. Nuh called me just now that all is normal again! Finally bid gdm goodbye but will still eat healthily since I already got used to this lifestyle. During my confinement I only had brown rice. For the last two weeks I have ocassional indulgence like durians, cakes n bubble tea but moderate sugar level n quantity. I didn't prick n monitor after I delivered coz no time. When I took my 28 n 30 weeks ogtt when pregnant, I was on a high side of 11.5. So to all gdm mummies who r still fighting this battle, don't give up. Wish all of u well n healthy!

Got diagnosed with GD when I was pregnant and passed my glucose test about a month after I delivered. To answer your question, no, I didn't continue with testing my own blood glucose level after I delivered.

A normal sugar level is less than 100 mg/dL after not eating (fasting) for at least 8 hours. And it's less than 140 mg/dL 2 hours after eating. Hope this helps.

Hi all, I was also diagnosed with GDM in my 31 week of pregnancy. Doc ordered an OGTT and when my result came back at 9.5 I was devastated. As this is my first pregnancy I was totally unfamiliar what GDM is. Went for the ODAC programme got the glucose meter to monitor my blood sugar. So far readings are ok. Nw Advancing into my 37 week I tend to indulge myself in sinful foods hehehe sometimes abit worried dunno if sugar level will spike. Any mtb share the same experience?

I read some say that can eat white noodles ( except Mee sua) but cannot eat yellow noodles. But I also read some that says the other way. So I m confused now..

I think it depends on how our body process the sugars. Carbo is converted into sugars. u can try and experiment yellow n white noodles n do the prick test to see what is your tolerance level? For me udon is ok but when I take bak chor tang hoon (dry with chilli) for breakfast my reading was the highest at 7.9 -_- and tang hoon was recommended by the dietician to substitute yellow noodles.

Hi all, I was also diagnosed with GDM in my 31 week of pregnancy. Doc ordered an OGTT and when my result came back at 9.5 I was devastated. As this is my first pregnancy I was totally unfamiliar what GDM is. Went for the ODAC programme got the glucose meter to monitor my blood sugar. So far readings are ok. Nw Advancing into my 37 week I tend to indulge myself in sinful foods hehehe sometimes abit worried dunno if sugar level will spike. Any mtb share the same experience?
Same same. Me 32week, OGTT result 13.2. Doctor immediately admitted me to ward, told me can not eat anything besides hospital food. ODAC nurse educated me for one hour. Until I gave birth at week37, my after meal reading always 9-10 (I injected insulin before meals).

6weeks after delivery, my OGTT test result pass, no more diabetes, back to normal liao ~~~~

So, don't worry. Watch your diet and some exercise, you will be fine. Don't stress yourself.

Same same. Me 32week, OGTT result 13.2. Doctor immediately admitted me to ward, told me can not eat anything besides hospital food. ODAC nurse educated me for one hour. Until I gave birth at week37, my after meal reading always 9-10 (I injected insulin before meals).

6weeks after delivery, my OGTT test result pass, no more diabetes, back to normal liao ~~~~

So, don't worry. Watch your diet and some exercise, you will be fine. Don't stress yourself.

Thanks MTB-2015 and congrats on passing your OGTT test :) u delivered in kkh?

I also :) who was your gynae? I just switched from subsidized to private. Today 1st time seeing Jerry Chan.
Haha, I was switched from private to subsidize patient. Everything was fine, even though no fixed gynae, just saw whoever on duty lor, sometimes no doctor only medical officer or medical student.

Haha, I was switched from private to subsidize patient. Everything was fine, even though no fixed gynae, just saw whoever on duty lor, sometimes no doctor only medical officer or medical student.

Oh why u switch from private to subsidized? Private gynae no good? or too expensive? I don't know if I made a right decision to change to private.

Oh why u switch from private to subsidized? Private gynae no good? or too expensive? I don't know if I made a right decision to change to private.
Because I have some pregnancy complications, private gynae suggested me go to KKH, because KKH can handle all complications of mom and baby. If I got any emergency during delivery, private gynae also will send me to KKH.

Some more, if baby needs to stay NICU, KKH is better and cheaper.

Because I have some pregnancy complications, private gynae suggested me go to KKH, because KKH can handle all complications of mom and baby. If I got any emergency during delivery, private gynae also will send me to KKH.

Some more, if baby needs to stay NICU, KKH is better and cheaper.

I see, I thought u were all along from kkh but switched from kkh private patient to subsidized patient. Before u came over to kkh which private hospital were u from?

Last week, after 2 days that I didn't get any call from NUH, I called them to ask for the result for peace of mind. My result on the first blood test was normal at 4.7. After drinking the glucose drink, it was 8.9. And all along, I thought I had passed! Good thing, I called!

But when I took another blood test last Wednesday, my Hba1C was normal. This was my average daily blood sugar for the last 3 months.

For those who took the OGTT after giving birth, may I know how you found the time to do so? Apart from fasting, we also need to pump, and being away from home for more than 3 hours means that you brought along your pump while waiting?

Btw, when I showed the dietician my meals the previous day, she advised me to eat more as I only gained 5 kg and my carbo intake is only 4-5 tablespoons of rice per meal. :D

My gynae is quite lenient. She said that I can prick for 6x a day only, as some would complain that they may have already fallen asleep 3 hours after dinner.

Last edited:
Btw, I'm confused why is peanut butter good for GDM when it's so sweet?

My dietitian said that brown rice and white rice are the same, they are all carbo. When I told her that brown rice has low GI, she said that it only has medium GI. The low GI is basmati rice.

Btw, I'm confused why is peanut butter good for GDM when it's so sweet?

My dietitian said that brown rice and white rice are the same, they are all carbo. When I told her that brown rice has low GI, she said that it only has medium GI. The low GI is basmati rice.

Yup brown rice is medium GI. I will take Mr Bean crunchy peanut butter pancake when I have cravings. When I pricked to chk still ok. Had it for snack n reading was 5.6 hehe just abit off 5.5 :p I don't know if peanut butter is good for GDM. But I read a few mummies do spread it on wholemeal bread for breakfast.

Ok will try peanut butter one of these days. :)

How many times do you reuse the needle? If we have to prick 7x a day, twice a week, should it be on two consecutive days?

Ok will try peanut butter one of these days. :)

How many times do you reuse the needle? If we have to prick 7x a day, twice a week, should it be on two consecutive days?

If you try peanut butter just prick to see if you are within the tolerance level :) for kkh before meals is 3.5-5.5. After meals is 5.5-7. I know some private hospitals quite strict. I don't reuse the needle deh. Kkh require to prick 7x a day, once a week. But funny thing is my gynae ask me to stop pricking at 37 week.

Hi,
I'm also with GD. I do not gain much weight since but my baby gal is still gaining a bit too much. Something might be wrong with what I eat. I'm almost 37 weeks. Baby was 2.6 kg at 36 weeks. Doc says no prob reaching 3kg when I give birth.
My gyne ask me prick 6 times a day in a week. I do not reuse the needle as well. I do eat peanut butter but I spread a very thin layer on my wholemeal bread.

Hi,
I'm also with GD. I do not gain much weight since but my baby gal is still gaining a bit too much. Something might be wrong with what I eat. I'm almost 37 weeks. Baby was 2.6 kg at 36 weeks. Doc says no prob reaching 3kg when I give birth.
My gyne ask me prick 6 times a day in a week. I do not reuse the needle as well. I do eat peanut butter but I spread a very thin layer on my wholemeal bread.

My bb was 2.9kg at 37 weeks. Dunno if too big but my gynae say it's a good weight. For the past 2 weeks didn't really control diet worried for bb dunno whether got put on alot of weight anot. Spread a thin layer of peanut butter, how thin?

On my 2nd pregnancy, GD was dectected on 34th wk and was inmediately reffered to dietian and went on a 1500calories diet. Just in a week my bb grown 0.5kg on my 35th week and had to induce on 36wks as my gynae was afraid that i may 'explode' . Bb was 3.9kg in my tummy on 36wks

So far, my readings are quite low:

6.2 = after almost 1 hour from dinner. (I just tested even if it's not yet 2 hours just to try my new kit)
Dinner: 5T rice, 2 small pieces of breaded pork chop, mixed veggies, a slice of fish, 3 slices of cucumber, 2T lemon with 1T honey, half apple

4.2 = Before breakfast
4.9 = 2 hours after breakfast.
Breakfast: Freshmilk with 1 teaspoon of Milo (not heaping), 4T rice, corned beef, scrambled egg

Is it okay if it's a little below the normal range? If the readings continue to be within the normal range, is it possible that I have no GDM? My HbA1c was normal - the average daily sugar for 3 months and fasting blood sugar was normal. But after drinking the orange drink, it was 8.9. But 2 hours after breakfast, my reading was only 4.9.

How to draw more blood when you prick? I'm using Accuchek Active and I've already set to 3, but still, I can't get enough blood most of the time even if I squeeze.

Last edited:
So far, my readings are quite low:

6.2 = after almost 1 hour from dinner. (I just tested even if it's not yet 2 hours just to try my new kit)
Dinner: 5T rice, 2 small pieces of breaded pork chop, mixed veggies, a slice of fish, 3 pieces of cucumber, 2T lemon with 1T honey, half apple

4.2 = Before breakfast
4.9 = 2 hours after breakfast.
Breakfast: Freshmilk with 1 teaspoon of Milo (not heaping), 4T rice, corned beef, scrambled egg

Is it okay if it's a little below the normal range? If the readings continue to be within the normal range, is it possible that I have no GDM? My HbA1c was normal - the average daily sugar for 3 months and fasting blood sugar was normal. But after drinking the orange drink, it was 8.9. But 2 hours after breakfast, my reading was only 4.9.

How to draw more blood when you prick? I'm using Accuchek Active and I've already set to 3, but still, I can't get enough blood most of the time even if I squeeze.

Your readings are very gd :) what is your HbA1c result? Mine was 5.3. Do you snack in between meals? The recommended diet is 3 main meals n 2 snacks. For snacks, must take note of carbo intake. Carbo must be limited to 15g. If you are worried that your readings are abit low can check with ur gynae. I am using freestyle neo optinum, for me I set at 2.5. Have u tried pricking on different fingers? I also experience the same problem not enough blood to squeeze coz prick too many times le. If I can't get enough blood on one finger I will prick again on another finger normally it works but at times I need to try 2-3 times at different spots.

On my 2nd pregnancy, GD was dectected on 34th wk and was inmediately reffered to dietian and went on a 1500calories diet. Just in a week my bb grown 0.5kg on my 35th week and had to induce on 36wks as my gynae was afraid that i may 'explode' . Bb was 3.9kg in my tummy on 36wks

Wah power siah, hw come can grow so big? Unless your bb already 3.2 or 3.3kg plus in ur 35 week.

Your readings are very gd :) what is your HbA1c result? Mine was 5.3. Do you snack in between meals? The recommended diet is 3 main meals n 2 snacks. For snacks, must take note of carbo intake. Carbo must be limited to 15g. If you are worried that your readings are abit low can check with ur gynae. I am using freestyle neo optinum, for me I set at 2.5. Have u tried pricking on different fingers? I also experience the same problem not enough blood to squeeze coz prick too many times le. If I can't get enough blood on one finger I will prick again on another finger normally it works but at times I need to try 2-3 times at different spots.

My gynae just told me that it was normal but I didn't get to ask for my result. I will ask for my copy of the results of my HbA1c and OGTT on my next visit. I snack in the morning and up to 2x in the afternoon and once before going to bed. Ok, will try with the other fingers. Thanks! :)

My peanut butter barely cover the bread. May be less than one teaspoon. I just make my bread taste a little better.
My gyne said baby's big coz she gained 500 g in 2 weeks. So now I try To eat lesser rice and I love rice :(
GD mummy tends to give birth early and I'm trying to hold on till 38 week plus as hubby is not back from business trip.
As other mummies had mentioned my thumb yield the best result too. I just need to squeeze a little and the blood is always enough.
My dietician told me not to eat dry noodles so if I eat noddle it will always be soup. And can't drink the soup.

Yea , bb was already quite big then with GD grow even faster gynae said.. #1 was 3.35 out on 37th wk. Think im gona have another big baby for this #3

Back