Prof PC Wong - IVF with Norethisterone

sj123, nore is considered short protocol. More meds are given for long protocol to "shut down" our whole reproductive system and e procedure is longer. Tat means most of us are on short protocol.

Wow, mimidestiny and Veraine, both of your Amh is so high.. Mine is only single digit..so, I guess both of you must b still very young..

it's oral, norethisterone. I am not sure if it's suppress the system, but it helps to time the menses start.

I could be totally wrong, but I think we are all on the short protocol. The Nor-E is to time the menses. I think mine is the "antagonist" protocol. There is also angonist protocol. I can't remember the details, though, but I think the angonist protocol is longer.

Mine's 33.7 heh ... retrieved 7 and only 3 mature also, and only 1 made it for ET ...

but I think that's the prob with high AMH? We prob would over-react on the stims ... I had 13 follicles initially and went up to 19 halfway through ... so had to lower the dosage of stims
Wow, mimidestiny and Veraine, both of your Amh is so high.. Mine is only single digit..so, I guess both of you must b still very young..
My 3 matured all fertilised, froze 2 for FET. When are you planning for your next fresh? If you don't mind share your age? :p

Yingchian, thank you for your compliment :oops::):oops: but eggs still little leh, don't know why...

Mine's 33.7 heh ... retrieved 7 and only 3 mature also, and only 1 made it for ET ...

but I think that's the prob with high AMH? We prob would over-react on the stims ... I had 13 follicles initially and went up to 19 halfway through ... so had to lower the dosage of stims
Talking about reserve, I have high reserve, AMH is 21.2. Don't know why only retrieved 6 eggs and 3 mature only. Must ask the doctor if I doing another fresh (touchwood). I was expecting a higher number :(
Oh.... AMH measures follicle reserves? See I gong gong follow instructions - dun bother what the stats represent.

My AMH just pass 10. Both fresh cycles yielded 4 and 5 follies each. But last cycle 4 of 4 fertilised. This cycle 1 of 3.... :(

Oh.... AMH measures follicle reserves? See I gong gong follow instructions - dun bother what the stats represent.

My AMH just pass 10. Both fresh cycles yielded 4 and 5 follies each. But last cycle 4 of 4 fertilised. This cycle 1 of 3.... :(
What's more important is how many fertilized and survive. Number of follies Is not as important. I have 26 but only 5 mature 2 fertilized and 1 made it to et. So our rates are the same at the end.

sj123, nore is considered short protocol. More meds are given for long protocol to "shut down" our whole reproductive system and e procedure is longer. Tat means most of us are on short protocol.
My bad. I always thought the whole course take around 6 weeks. Hence long protocol:oops:

Ladies, I have a silly question. Shouldn't we go through as many round of fresh cycle while we are young so we can have certain number of frozen babies for use when we want to get pregnant? That way we will always be able to use the "young" embryos for transfer while we age since the quality of eggs directly correspond with age.

Which means to say, even if we have frozen babies now, we won't use it but proceed for fresh cycle instead.

Dear sisters, is it the more embryos we transferred, it increases the chances of successful implantation?
I suppose so, probability game. Prof say transferring one decreases the chances by 3-4%. But prof strongly encourage me to transfer 1 to prevent multiple birth. I transferred 1 in my fresh, I'm gg for 2 in my FET.

Ladies, I have a silly question. Shouldn't we go through as many round of fresh cycle while we are young so we can have certain number of frozen babies for use when we want to get pregnant? That way we will always be able to use the "young" embryos for transfer while we age since the quality of eggs directly correspond with age.

Which means to say, even if we have frozen babies now, we won't use it but proceed for fresh cycle instead.
Theoretically yes...
But the bigger qn is, once u have achieved the target no. of kids u want in future, what are u going to do with the remaining embryos?
Let's say u have 5 embryos left, u bear to destroy?
My stand is I'd only have the no. of embryos i'm willing to handle. But of course this is just my personal opinion la.

Theoretically yes...
But the bigger qn is, once u have achieved the target no. of kids u want in future, what are u going to do with the remaining embryos?
Let's say u have 5 embryos left, u bear to destroy?
My stand is I'd only have the no. of embryos i'm willing to handle. But of course this is just my personal opinion la.
Of course not over producing it, maybe freeze 10 embies with a target of 2-3 kiddos. Because we need to wait a few mths for each cycle to start, the waiting time can easily waste a few years. Just thinking la

Of course not over producing it, maybe freeze 10 embies with a target of 2-3 kiddos. Because we need to wait a few mths for each cycle to start, the waiting time can easily waste a few years. Just thinking la
But what if you transferred the first 2 and became pregnant with twins? I guess I am ok with throwing away unused embryos but many may not be at peace with that decision.

I actually think it's a great idea if you 1) don't mind subjecting your body to lots of hormones, 2) have a supportive work environment, and 3) are ok with throwing away unused embryos. Wish I did this 2 years ago!

My 3 matured all fertilised, froze 2 for FET. When are you planning for your next fresh? If you don't mind share your age? :p

Yingchian, thank you for your compliment :oops::):oops: but eggs still little leh, don't know why...
I'm turning 32 this year ...

Don't know when I can start my next fresh ... my appt with prof is after nat day ... so he'll let me know when I can embark on the next fresh ba :) Hope my yield will be better!

I think my dosages should be highest because I got very low reserve. Sob sob...
The first time I met Prof, he didn't suggest any other option except asking are you ready for IVF.
I was like wow when I read on how much you paid for each cycle. You are one of the lucky one that doesn't need high dose to stimulate. Hope you stay lucky and get success in your FET! Have you started your FET already?

Ya,now I really understand wat nurses meant by Im paying much lesser than the avg...I shld really learn to b appreciative...

Im in fact of the super low dosages..those tt cannt go any lower...but the scary part is always ohss risk...

Tq MyDream...hope I can get lucky..haven started yet...still on mercilon...:D

Is elonva very expensive?I rem I saw a price list for jabs in the bt room....n there's a jab tt's super ex...3-4times of gonalf...but can't rem is it elonva...

Ya,now I really understand wat nurses meant by Im paying much lesser than the avg...I shld really learn to b appreciative...

Im in fact of the super low dosages..those tt cannt go any lower...but the scary part is always ohss risk...

Tq MyDream...hope I can get lucky..haven started yet...still on mercilon...:D

Is elonva very expensive?I rem I saw a price list for jabs in the bt room....n there's a jab tt's super ex...3-4times of gonalf...but can't rem is it elonva...
Elonva cost 2200 per jab.

Talking about reserve, I have high reserve, AMH is 21.2. Don't know why only retrieved 6 eggs and 3 mature only. Must ask the doctor if I doing another fresh (touchwood). I was expecting a higher number :(

@mimidestiny & @veraine
Wow, so high AMH. Envy. Mine is <0.6. :(
3 mature eggs is not bad lah. Do anyone of you know what to eat to improve egg quality?

Wanna make a guess..wat's my AMH?
Is 129...yes, u din see wrongly..is 129, not 12.9!

It also means i hav >50% chance of ohss...which is y eveytime i see ohss...this 4 letters i freak out...can it also mean im as good as finding a needle in haystack..in order to find the golden ones in this 129mil reserve...:(...i really sian half after knowing these harsh comments...

What's more important is how many fertilized and survive. Number of follies Is not as important. I have 26 but only 5 mature 2 fertilized and 1 made it to et. So our rates are the same at the end.

Yeah...totally agree...n wat's most impt..is the golden one...

Dear sisters, is it the more embryos we transferred, it increases the chances of successful implantation?
The highest chance of success (defined as live birth) is when 2 embryos are transferred. When more than 2 are transferred, it increases the rate of miscarriage and premature births, so it reduces success rate. With even 2 there is a higher chance of premature birth due to twins. So the general wisdom is definitely 1 or 2 embryos per time. Over 37 can transfer 3 because implantation rate is not as high.

The highest chance of success (defined as live birth) is when 2 embryos are transferred. When more than 2 are transferred, it increases the rate of miscarriage and premature births, so it reduces success rate. With even 2 there is a higher chance of premature birth due to twins. So the general wisdom is definitely 1 or 2 embryos per time. Over 37 can transfer 3 because implantation rate is not as high.
Haha, so at the end, is it advisable to put 2 now? I am confused..

Wah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....ya,this is the one!!!very expensive jab....Omg!!!...:(
It costs 300+ per day for one jab..but hor, prof told me, the protocol that I am using now could b more expensive that using elonva..so I also not sure, which one is more exp..will only know once I got the bill for current cycle.

It costs 300+ per day for one jab..but hor, prof told me, the protocol that I am using now could b more expensive that using elonva..so I also not sure, which one is more exp..will only know once I got the bill for current cycle.

Gonalf n puregon is $1 for 1iu approximately...think nurse told me tt...so if daily jab is 150iu is ~$150 lo...she showed me how to roughly calculate the jabs costs...

Elonva is ex...woo....

mimidestiny, rememberainbow and mermaid2015, it's true tat it seems better to keep making more embryos when we are young. But I'm oso of e moral dilemma of throwing my "babies" away if I were to succeed rite from e start, then wat do I do wif e rest? Overseas, they allow freezing of eggs so I tot tat'll be a better option. Unfortunately in sg, they dun do tis. We can only freeze embryos. So if I were ever in tis position of having so many frozen embryos after getting pregnant (which is highly unlikely looking at my stims results), I was thinking to do a transfer at "not e rite time". So if it survives against all odds, means it's meant to be. Juz a tot...

mimidestiny, rememberainbow and mermaid2015, it's true tat it seems better to keep making more embryos when we are young. But I'm oso of e moral dilemma of throwing my "babies" away if I were to succeed rite from e start, then wat do I do wif e rest? Overseas, they allow freezing of eggs so I tot tat'll be a better option. Unfortunately in sg, they dun do tis. We can only freeze embryos. So if I were ever in tis position of having so many frozen embryos after getting pregnant (which is highly unlikely looking at my stims results), I was thinking to do a transfer at "not e rite time". So if it survives against all odds, means it's meant to be. Juz a tot...
This is getting to be a philosophical/religious debate of when life begins...Personally I don't consider embryos my babies or "lives." If they were, then growing to day 5 would be killing as well (as about 50% won't survive). Also, if the embryos didn't survive after transfer, I refuse to think my body "killed" them. So I treat them as chances that may lead to something but I don't consider unattached embryos my babies yet. Maybe it's just my self defense mechanism so I don't get too emotionally attached to the embryos when/if IVF doesn't work.

I kinda second the thots of mermaid...I wld say this is a very controversial topic from an ethical pt of view...but having the thots of fertilized embie being the start of life freak me out alot...coz it means I was killing many lives as I watched them arrest during culturing n after ETs...:(

This is the recent topic of discussion between me n my hubby...to freeze the embryo before i return to work?coz we really duno when we wil revisit ivf..shld we freeze before the egg quality continue to degrade?still in the midst of discussion with hubby n likely will seek the opinions of prof...

Last edited:
I'm very busy with work so I'll catch up on the previous page posts over the weekend. My hair style is becoming more like spiderwebs cos more white hair are popping out.

My ivf cycle with gonal f and cxxxxxx (something) to stop ovulation without any ET costs $10,500.

I'm treating my embryos as cells before the organs develop. I don't want to make my life harder by being guilty over every unsuccessful attempt. Night_dreaming aka nightmare is more of a sentimental person than me, he seems to treat them as babies so he will have hard time discarding unused embryos.

Last edited:
I wouldn't see the egg as a 'life', but I would take embryo as one. So, I was very sad when I failed my first IVF cycle cos I think that I hv lost a baby even though he/she is just with me for less than 2 weeks.

Gonalf n puregon is $1 for 1iu approximately...think nurse told me tt...so if daily jab is 150iu is ~$150 lo...she showed me how to roughly calculate the jabs costs...

Elonva is ex...woo....
Then, my this cycle could be more expensive Liao coz my gonal is 300 iu plus pergoveris..If pergoveris is also charged per iu, thence daily cost will b 450..

@MonkeyChick
I support you returning to work and going for tours etc, and going ahead with your other pursuits in life! I'm always an advocate of trying to live my life as normal as possible when I'm doing ivf despite of the stress to take leave for med appointments. At least when ivf doesn't work out for me, I don't feel I have sacrificed my whole life for it and I preserve my self esteem......

Haha, so at the end, is it advisable to put 2 now? I am confused..
I think it really depends on u to put 1 or 2..

For me, there were a few personal factors.

My no. of embbies: I had 7 suitable for ET. If I had put in 1 by 1, assuming the 1st/2nd ET works, now age 34, I may end up being much older if I wanna try #2 with the snowbbs. (I've 3 left now so I thought it's a nice number. 2 more tries)

My work: I can't afford to take time off to do too many rounds so putting 2 is more "efficient"

My impatience: I see most people put 2 also chances not high, so I just wanna up my chances & reduce my disappt.

My guilt: If put 1 & I don't succeed, I may blame myself for not putting in 2.

God's will: I put 2, let Him decide singleton/twins!

U may wanna list down your factors with hub & decide together ya?

mermaid2015 and monkeychick, sorry sorry! I din mean it tat way! My tots are if they din survive, it's like survival of e fittest and not tat we kill them. Cos after all, even when sperm meets egg naturally in e uterus, e embryo may not implant. I wun say tat we kill it. Sorry again ah, to stir up tis controversial topic!

I think it really depends on u to put 1 or 2..

For me, there were a few personal factors.

My no. of embbies: I had 7 suitable for ET. If I had put in 1 by 1, assuming the 1st/2nd ET works, now age 34, I may end up being much older if I wanna try #2 with the snowbbs. (I've 3 left now so I thought it's a nice number. 2 more tries)

My work: I can't afford to take time off to do too many rounds so putting 2 is more "efficient"

My impatience: I see most people put 2 also chances not high, so I just wanna up my chances & reduce my disappt.

My guilt: If put 1 & I don't succeed, I may blame myself for not putting in 2.

God's will: I put 2, let Him decide singleton/twins!

U may wanna list down your factors with hub & decide together ya?

I discussed this with the nurse, the nurse at CHR seems not very open for us to put 2. she say it is best to put 1, saying that even if you put 1, there might be chances you get twins too. I cannot rationalize that.

I have not started my ivf program, but am thinking if given the chance, isnt transferring 2 is better? chances will be higher isnt it

Hi ladied, i am one of the silent reader haha. When we did our fresh last year,initially we opt to transfer 1 and signed the form. But later we changed to 2. 1 implanted and she is now 4 mths old. My thinking was it's like buying 4 d. Buy more probability to win is higher.

I discussed this with the nurse, the nurse at CHR seems not very open for us to put 2. she say it is best to put 1, saying that even if you put 1, there might be chances you get twins too. I cannot rationalize that.

I have not started my ivf program, but am thinking if given the chance, isnt transferring 2 is better? chances will be higher isnt it
Cos NUH protocol is if you're under 35 and it's your first attempt, they'll encourage you to transfer only one. Because they want to minimize the possibility of multiple births.

Nurses and prof didn't try persuade me too much when I said I wanted to transfer 2. I said because I wanted to increase the probability lor.

But alas! Heh..

Hi ladied, i am one of the silent reader haha. When we did our fresh last year,initially we opt to transfer 1 and signed the form. But later we changed to 2. 1 implanted and she is now 4 mths old. My thinking was it's like buying 4 d. Buy more probability to win is higher.
Haha.. Hello!!

You prob think we're a bunch of lunatics and not quite sure how to be normal with us hahaha

Are you going for your number 2? :)

I quite agree with @iheartpandora88's '4d theory'. For me, I m not with nuh & is over 37. So for my 1st fresh, I have signed the form to transfer 2. Dr said if it fails, I can transfer 3 for the next cycle. I am OK with this arrangement as I find that its what I want too...

When I started on the program I indicated 2 on my form, but nurse and my husband persuaded me on 1. I insisted to remain as 2. A few days later a friend added me to a premie baby group in fb and looking at the delicate premies and how heart broken the parents are, I changed to 1 last min.

This time I shall let fate do the calling and transfer 2. I want tio beh bio leh!

Back