Recommendations for improving Chinese Language?

parenting

Recently my daugther just started Primary school. She's doing okay for all her subjects other than Chinese Language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9nIuZn-Zkg

I came across this app trailer that teaches Primary school Chinese. They said that it is made based on the latest MOE syllabus as well. But it isn't available yet. :S
Anyone got suggestions on an alternative?
happy.gif

I would sugg you send her to chinese enrichment classes whereby she can interact with the frens & teachers.Somehow it can work wonders how she can end up liking and appreciating the language.
It works for both my boys who used to ONLY speak english, after the classes, they are more willing to speak Mandarin and can recog alot of chinese characters.

Hi
There are popular ones like Berries, Tien Hsia, Han, Hua Cheng (Thomson plaza), Molin that have parents having gd feedback. You may wish to bring your daughter to do a trial and see if she likes it.

Hi @parenting
I find reading to them regularly - every day/night if you can! - the most effective. I look out for short, interesting stories pitched at my son's level (started with a few characters per page when he was younger at 1+) and gradually we have progressed to 5-10 sentences per page now. He has also picked up many new characters along the way so he is coping well in P1 now. :) HTH!

Hello, I sent my child to Intellicat tuition school near Kovan for Chinese class and he likes the lesson there. The teacher is a retired school teacher and is a very friendly local. I don't like the past centre teacher who is from China as I feel that local can interact better with my child. You can consider sending your child there for Chinese class. Their website is http://intellicat-tuition.com.sg/ and number is 62806841.

As advised by Chinese teachers:

1. start with them getting use to the language by speaking it.
2. improve with them by encouraging them to express themselves with it.
3. exposure, exposure, exposure.

with the above, it makes the reading, writing and learning less stressful.
Once your child is comfortable with expressing themselves, it makes them more confident to read it and write it as well.

It was very difficult for us, becos hubby is foreigner and I am full time working mom. When I started doing the above by speaking to him only in Mandarin and challenging/rewarding him in expressing himself in Mandarin with me, his Chinese improves a lot in class during the second half of last year.

I had sent my kids separately to Tien Hsia and Berries.
Berries - Their learning materials are attractive. Using the memorizing method to teach, my kid basically forgotton all that was been taught within a few months.
Tien Hsia - Their learning materials are not as "colourful" as Berries, merely photocopy papers. Teachers don't really focus on the papers to teach the students. They also teach the children to recite poems and sing songs. I personally feel that that is also one of a good way for the kids to learn their Chinese pronounciation.

I bought 四五快读 to teach my boy, i find it very good & effective.
It consists of 7 books of teaching kids chinese, the 8th books consists of short story.
My boy likes it, he is progressing well, i am delighted to see him learning to read chinese each day, from totally zero till now can read some simple mandarin.
This book series is strongly recommended by mummies from Kiasu parents forum, u can go to popular to take a look.
Buying from forum is so much cheaper.
But you must have time & patient to teach your kids...

Dear mommies,

Really need advice here. We are non-speaking Chinese family and my kid is almost 4 now and she is at NTUC childcare.
And as non-Chinese we couldn't read Chinese story book to her as well.
Really appreciated if you all could guide us how we can improve her Chinese.

If it is possible to send her enrichment class, any recommandation?

At 4 yrs old, it might be good to have your daughter to have fun with mandarin first, like through music, conversations and television programs ( fun things). So that when she starts to write and read it, she finds it easier to connect with it and won't dread it so much as the language is associated with fun. Just my two cents.

Try to enroll her to HAN LANGUAGE CENTRE. The reviews for this center was pretty good and all the teachers are very professional in their Chinese language as well.

Hi, I sent my kids to TCEP courses at Confusious Institute Slims Barrack. They have classes starting from N2. So far I think the programme is not bad as they follow closely to school curriculum. They also have separate class for Chinese Compo which my elder child is also attending.

Agree with letting your kids have fun with the language first. 4 yrs old are beginning to get receptive of things around them, what they see, what they feel what they learn, especially for parents. Suggest you get them to listen to chinese phonic songs or fun informative and interactive videos online to get them to be more connected with the language then when she really needs to learn chinese example when she enters kindergarten, it will be easier for her to be bonded with the language.

For other parents who has kids around secondary school, I'm currently engaging a tutor, Mr Sim, for my boy. We find him quite good, especially after his chinese results got better. For parents who want to engage him, pm me for more information.

For other subjects, i'm currently trying out this new website introduced by one of my close friends, http://tuitionfindersg , its said to match tutors accordingly to the best needs of the students. So just trying out. fingers crossed.

I have a wonderful Chinese tutor for my twin boys. She specializes in Preschool to Grade 2 Chinese tutoring, esp for non-native or reluctant learners.
She teaches with a more 'Western' style so lessons are more interactive, involves reading storybooks and exploration. I had my hesitation since she's not a mainland Chinese speaker but she related so well to my boys. I sent them to Berries before, which while I'm sure was a good centre on its own , but their style was too strict for my boys and it took a while to reverse their aversion to Chinese resulting from their teaching.

I have a wonderful Chinese tutor for my twin boys. She specializes in Preschool to Grade 2 Chinese tutoring, esp for non-native or reluctant learners.
She teaches with a more 'Western' style so lessons are more interactive, involves reading storybooks and exploration. I had my hesitation since she's not a mainland Chinese speaker but she related so well to my boys. I sent them to Berries before, which while I'm sure was a good centre on its own , but their style was too strict for my boys and it took a while to reverse their aversion to Chinese resulting from their teaching.
Dear Mother of 5, would you be able to PM me the name and contact details of your teacher? Thanks!

Hi Mommies,

Just to share with all of you, I recently sent both my kids to Funtastic Chinese in Pasir Ris ( after being referred to by another mummies' forum) and my kids now seem to enjoy Chinese so much, always coming home and share with me about their lessons. Their award-winning programmes are endorsed by Nus and NIE professors and their pool of teachers are local and moe-trained. Do check out their website www.funtastic.com.sg for more details.

Irene

Back