Prof PC Wong - IVF with Norethisterone

Ladies, may I ask how do you manage working and at the same time going through this process? how in a struggle. not very open to tell my boss that I am going through this. but yet, how to suddenly get HL, and then suddenly if cycle not successful to abort and go for another fresh and apply for HL. This whole thing is so stressful and I have not even started. I am really very admirable for all your perseverance!

Monkeychic, I am also 35, some docs would say why don't u try earlier etc bla bla bla.. and very discouraging. But in NUH if u tell them 35, they are still positive about it.

Talking about work, in 2011 I had problem coming for morning scan and usually have to play around hide and seek and i rem one colleague still ask the secretary to check on one mc in nuh, end up I took half day morning, but of cos lots of unhappy colleague. It was not easy. In 2015 I quit cos firstly I am not allow to be late a min for work and second they don't welcome pregnant lady not to say getting time off for ART. With my age approaching 35 i am a bit panicked and went my 1st iui, puregon shots goes up to 28/29 days. I give up working. Hence, for ladies working I can understand all the pain. Taking leave, finding cover , asking for time off. All these years I have seen the ugly side of the large corporates world. How they penalize mothers either via interview or being wary of married women yet to have kids. But if you allowed, do hold on, cos you may NV know when the battle will ends, unless u really are confident financially.

Ladies, may I ask how do you manage working and at the same time going through this process? how in a struggle. not very open to tell my boss that I am going through this. but yet, how to suddenly get HL, and then suddenly if cycle not successful to abort and go for another fresh and apply for HL. This whole thing is so stressful and I have not even started. I am really very admirable for all your perseverance!
For me i told my boss the truth. He is a guy, and i gave him some details so that he is aware what is happening and is sympathetic enough. Recently just change a boss, another guy, and i told him the first day he was in office! lol. Think i gave him a shock! He isn't so sympathetic, ask me whether i can work from home etc. I told him nope. haha! It helps that I'm in civil service thou.

Hi, I'm with Dr Chew and had my 3 ivfs done by him. My first ivf attempt was successful and my lovely daughter is now 15 months old. My second attempt failed. I'm now pregnant in my 3rd attempt.

I would comment that Dr Chew is a man of few words but his words comes with great wisdom. His judgement is always correct. He does not give up easily and even though the results can be bad, he will do all he can and try different methods to help. For that, i'm really appreciate his efforts.

Trust him and his judgement.

I'm not too sure about the trial ET as I've not had that done. I had adenomyosis and half of my uterus wall is damaged plus it is tilted. It is a challenge for him at each ET but each ET he is very careful to make sure he optimise my chance although my bladder is about to burst!) just to make sure that it will land in the right place as much as he wished.

Ask him any questions that you have. He will answer them. I asked all sorts of questions and i don't care if it makes me looks silly or stupid. If i'm not sure, i just ask. But he is a very direct person and i think it is good because you are fully aware of your condition.

Hope this helps.

Hi Sweetpie, congrats on your 2 successful attempt. Great to hear successful stories like yours.

By the way, are you Dr Chew private patient? Does that means throughout your pregnancy he will be your gynea and will deliver the baby too? Did you select him or was it assign ? Did you found out about him via forum? Sorry for my naggy questions =) Jus want to find out more.

Aiyo such a young thing. Don't worry malau, you be a ychasing mummy than me.

Hehe...muackzzz...:D
Will jus things flow n let things b after my last shot...personally i dun think is rational to keep chasing ivf cycles..esp if coming to the 9th one alr...is time to take a break n walk away...to b back or nt, leave it to fate...;)

If not, i machiam like stalking on ivf cycles alr...

U do need to tell ur boss at the very least I think. Is hard to explain the time off for scans otherwise. For me I told my two bosses one man one lady... both are ok. My team culture is that we work late when we have work... but if we need to go for such things we can just go without taking leave if is few hours. For HL I compromise by only taking 7 days because I got work to do.

I need to plan my ivf on months where I'm less busy. For colleagues I just say I do cyst operation. Many things are very give and take. In a way I already feel quite blessed I have understanding boss, it's the only reason why I haven't quit my job.

Will jus things flow n let things b after my last shot...personally i dun think is rational to keep chasing ivf cycles..esp if coming to the 9th one alr...is time to take a break n walk away...to b back or nt, leave it to fate...;)

Hopefully this cycle it is.

If. Take a rest from all the hormones treatments, drink kangen water to clarify your system. Go to your Europe holiday, girdeboo girdebah there, bring bk the European baby.

Monkeychic, I am also 35, some docs would say why don't u try earlier etc bla bla bla.. and very discouraging. But in NUH if u tell them 35, they are still positive about it.

Talking about work, in 2011 I had problem coming for morning scan and usually have to play around hide and seek and i rem one colleague still ask the secretary to check on one mc in nuh, end up I took half day morning, but of cos lots of unhappy colleague. It was not easy. In 2015 I quit cos firstly I am not allow to be late a min for work and second they don't welcome pregnant lady not to say getting time off for ART. With my age approaching 35 i am a bit panicked and went my 1st iui, puregon shots goes up to 28/29 days. I give up working. Hence, for ladies working I can understand all the pain. Taking leave, finding cover , asking for time off. All these years I have seen the ugly side of the large corporates world. How they penalize mothers either via interview or being wary of married women yet to have kids. But if you allowed, do hold on, cos you may NV know when the battle will ends, unless u really are confident financially.

Ya indeed, is not an easy journey esp when u meet pple tt's not very accommodating or even nasty...

I started pretty young at ard 32yo...coz experts mentioned after 1-1.5yr of natural ttc...is time to approach the experts...we earnestly did...

Bcoz my job or rather my working environment did not accommodate, I resigned to work on ivf, jobless for 1+yr...but we really hav to b realistic...how many more years do I wanna b jobless?how many cycles do I still wanna chase?these r rational questions tt me n my hubby discussed...I hope is as long as or as far as I cld since the day I hav started...tt I did not even put a max...

But seems tt my hubby n myself hav come to a mutual understanding tt we shld take a break n walk away.. who noe?we strike a jackpot after tt?who noe?I come back again as a fresher n stronger me to continue my journey?..or who noe?we r much happier w/o the ttc nitemares?

Life is unpredictable.. let me go bah...lolololol
I hav a feeling u ladies r "brainwashing" me to change the decision...lolololol....

Heartfelt appreciation for all the encouragements & inputs...really appreciate it...;)

Last edited:
U do need to tell ur boss at the very least I think. Is hard to explain the time off for scans otherwise. For me I told my two bosses one man one lady... both are ok. My team culture is that we work late when we have work... but if we need to go for such things we can just go without taking leave if is few hours. For HL I compromise by only taking 7 days because I got work to do.

I need to plan my ivf on months where I'm less busy. For colleagues I just say I do cyst operation. Many things are very give and take. In a way I already feel quite blessed I have understanding boss, it's the only reason why I haven't quit my job.

Is nice to hav bosses n pple ard like tis...
I did alert my boss...at first was a Ok, no problem...but on my 2nd cycle, her remarks was "what?again?!...I dun think is good for u to always not b ard" with a nasty look..for scans, I usually go for scans n rushed back to work n OT to ensure clearing all my loads...HL, despite in pain,I still went back after 1week..

So, I dun think there's any way to better accommodate alr...I heard from my excolleague tt his leave for moving hse was rejected..reason given..he can move hse on weekend...we can't stop laughing together when we tok abt it...

Hi hi @MonkeyChick. Saw your post yesterday. What you posted really touched my heart. Just take a good break if you think it is necessary but don't let your 心情 affect your (maybe) last FET. Go and recharge back your energy and then decide what is next ok?
I sincerely pray that your FET this time will be Positive. Just stay positive and thing will usually turn out as it is.

Monkeychick, I'm feeling ok but they are not allowing me to eat yet. Tis time rd, cannot bend rules. Am glad for some rest, cos I stayed up till 3am to do my trigger shot e nite before and woke up at 6am to eat tis morn.

monkeychick, I agree wif u tat ivf shdn't consume us. I hope tat u will be successful tis cycle! Hb and I are oso letting it be after using up all e govt grant. Initially, I only wanted to do 1 cycle. Then he said to finish up e grants and I agreed. But tis cycle I had to jab a lot more times and he said maybe stop after tis. So I said I'm oreidi mentally prepared to go another rd leh. E best is tat can stop becos pregnant.

Hi hi @MonkeyChick. Saw your post yesterday. What you posted really touched my heart. Just take a good break if you think it is necessary but don't let your 心情 affect your (maybe) last FET. Go and recharge back your energy and then decide what is next ok?
I sincerely pray that your FET this time will be Positive. Just stay positive and thing will usually turn out as it is.

Tks..muackzz...:D
I will still giv my all...my idol prof told me i can still b hopeful...hehehe...;)

Monkeychick, I'm feeling ok but they are not allowing me to eat yet. Tis time rd, cannot bend rules. Am glad for some rest, cos I stayed up till 3am to do my trigger shot e nite before and woke up at 6am to eat tis morn.

Oh...seems like they hav some procedures to adhere to b4 giving the green light to eat...tonite u can sleep really well to catch up with the loss of zzz hrs....

Last edited:
monkeychick, I agree wif u tat ivf shdn't consume us. I hope tat u will be successful tis cycle! Hb and I are oso letting it be after using up all e govt grant. Initially, I only wanted to do 1 cycle. Then he said to finish up e grants and I agreed. But tis cycle I had to jab a lot more times and he said maybe stop after tis. So I said I'm oreidi mentally prepared to go another rd leh. E best is tat can stop becos pregnant.

Yeah...I really wish all the ladies I noe here...will stop only bcoz of a bfp...Woohoo!

Me too!! and just had my milo.. Hopefully, wouldn't faint this time round..

Let ur hubby borrow n standby a wheelchair?Jus in case, play safe...once u walk out, dun feel right then dive into the chair...safer...if u fine, he can return the wheelchair to the designated areas at carpark...take care huh...

Let ur hubby borrow n standby a wheelchair?Jus in case, play safe...once u walk out, dun feel right then dive into the chair...safer...if u fine, he can return the wheelchair to the designated areas at carpark...take care huh...
After my ER when I discharge, i requested a wheelchair from Ward2A nurse. She replied "Why do u need one? U are unable to walk?" :/

After my ER when I discharge, i requested a wheelchair from Ward2A nurse. She replied "Why do u need one? U are unable to walk?" :/

Diaozz...or mayb she's worried tt u r in pain untill u can't walk so wanna check tt u r really well b4 she let u discharge...

I walked out with legs widely spaced..slowly...coz really bloated..nurse's eyes were on me...watching me very closely...I hav a feeling she wanna stop me...lol

Haa.. Thanks a lot for your concern.. I just reach home safely.

Btw, just wondering any of you were given ovidrel after OR? I got a jab just now an hour after the OR. Then I asked the nurse why need to jab now, she said doc ordered that. So, a bit confused why i need this jab now? Anyone can enlighten me..

When I am preparing for IVF, my TCM told me to sleep early as she said it will help in conceiving. Don't stay up too late lah! :p

Ya leh...this is really one factor till now I fail to eliminate...a very bad habit of mine...earliest I zzz is always 1230am...even online articles mentioned abt how crucial is 11pm to 2am for fertility...tcm physicians both also reminded me...

Btw, just wondering any of you were given ovidrel after OR? I got a jab just now an hour after the OR. Then I asked the nurse why need to jab now, she said doc ordered that. So, a bit confused why i need this jab now? Anyone can enlighten me..
Yes I was also given, there's a second jab in the review consultation after ET, the dosage is lower than the first, nurse say too high dosage will trigger OHSS.

Yes, I did too. But bird brain cannot remember why too. Think to reduce ohss?

I read on one of the nuh ivfer blog...it was mentioned tt she was given the hcg jab to trick the body into believing tt there's a pregnancy n continue to produce others essential hormones..bcoz hcg can trigger ohss, after ET, a lower dosage is given...

Ladies with high risk of ohss will nvr b given hcg ovidrel jabs..is "good" stuff...hehehe

But do note tt if u intend to do hpt, do it slightly later if u hav ovidrel hcg jab...coz it may giv a false positive...;)

I read on one of the nuh ivfer blog...it was mentioned tt she was given the hcg jab to trick the body into believing tt there's a pregnancy n continue to produce others essential hormones..bcoz hcg can trigger ohss, after ET, a lower dosage is given...

Ladies with high risk of ohss will nvr b given hcg ovidrel jabs..is "good" stuff...hehehe

But do note tt if u intend to do hpt, do it slightly later if u hav ovidrel hcg jab...coz it may giv a false positive...;)
Hi MonkeyChick, thanks for sharing.

Hi mimidestiny, do u know wat is the purpose of inject one after OR huh?
From what I can remember from the nurse told me, it helps to trick the body to produce progesterone needed to support pregnancy. After the suppression our body might not produce the required amount of progesterone. Correct me if I am wrong.
For few of us that cannot have hcg shot because of the fear of ohss, we actually do the progesterone oil jab on our butt daily during 2ww.

Back