(2014) ivf mummies support group

faith-u buy fresh butternut pumkim? how much u pay normaly? i jus saw @cold storage, it's lik sgd8 for a quarter size...

how do u all prepare banana puree? put in phillip blender?

faith, need to take note on food with high beta carotene.. like carrots, butternut, sweet potato, apricots, nectarine etc not advisable to feed too much as it will cause yellowing to the baby skin.. mb max 3 times a week..

depends, sometime they will give me signals tt they want water.. so i feed water in between & end of meal..

joy i buy from ntuc.. abt $2.50 for a quarter.. non organic.. Usually cold storage is quite expensive.. if can get from ntuc i will buy from there.. but some veggie like parsnips.. i think only cold storage has it.. yes i blend the banana with fm to make banana puree in Philip avent blender

Last edited:
Kitkats, yes yes my girl is also like your boy! She will put her hands in her mouth, rub her face, ears and eyes with her hands, then touch her hair with her hands. She will also rub whatever food on the tray, then turn left and right. She will also touch the chair everywhere. Sometimes she even drops food on the floor. At first, I also can't take it. It's like so messy but after a while, I just let her be because if I keep wiping for her, she gets irritated easily and I am like so busy. The feeding is also interrupted. So I don't wipe her during feeding anymore. Now I will put newspaper under the high chair to catch whatever food that she drops.

Cheery, yes I know about the beta carotene. Okay will take note. Thanks for the highlight! :)

Joy, I bought butternut from NTUC. I bought organic and non organic before. Organic one costs about $5 plus and non organic one costs about $2 plus.

Last edited:
Joy, if possible, don't buy from cold storage. Like what cheery said, cold storage tends to be more expensive. Can only buy things that are of standard pricing like fresh milk, etc.

Ya my girls also like that. Eat one mouth then turn here and there touch here and there end up the mess is everywhere 360 where they sit. The sides of hair chair, the tray In front of them, the seat, the floor even the chair back rest. Then elder usually rub the eyes also so the food just gets everywhere.

Talking about yellowing of skin. My girls love orange veg! I also bought my butternut at ntuc not ex around 2-3plus for half. Cold storage is ex one got once I bought broccoli from there like cost me over 10bucks I'm shock!!! Lol

Faith u didn cook porridge with the fruits/veg u bring out? I so far always cook porridge seldom give puree.

how do u all cook porridge with veg? slow cook 2gether n blend? is it 2soggy? like butternut.. even u cook long time it will still b in 1 slice.

i tried porridge with sharp chinese spinach.. baby totally dun like.. feed until cry!

joy, usually i cook the porridge in slow cooker then puree it before adding int he pureed veggie in as my twins not ready for chunky food yet..

it's too early to give spinach for my twins.. Usually recommended to give 10 mths n above.. due to the nitrates..

Yes yes I once bought organic broccoli from cold storage and it cost me $8+ and I was like.....I now buy non organic broccoli from Giant. Very fresh and cheap! 3 big stalks only cost $3+. Air flown from Australia. NTUC broccoli also not very nice.

Actually I seldom cook porridge. If I cook porridge, I'll cook in a pot and once it's boiling, I'll transfer to the magic cooker. The magic cooker will do the rest of the cooking till soft without me around. For orange vegetables like pumpkin, butternut, carrot and sweet potato, there was once I didn't purée them and I just added in and cook together with the porridge. When I opened the magic cooker after a while, I noticed all the orange vegetables were all mashed up/dissolved and blended together with the porridge.

I use the Avent steamer and blender more. But now I give chunkier chews so I blend 1 time about 3 seconds so that the texture is not fine and smooth anymore.

I gave organic spinach (波菜) once to my girl but I mixed with other vegetables like potato. She took it fine. But the spinach after blending can be quite sticky. It's the juice.

Sometimes I bring porridge out, sometimes I don't. When I don't bring porridge out, I let my girl eat plain rice outside and go with the chunkier chews purée that I make.

ImageUploadedByForum1437809135.428303.jpg
ImageUploadedByForum1437809160.796774.jpg
ImageUploadedByForum1437809175.516152.jpg

This is a sample menu that I got from KKH PD.

I don't really give porridge because I use normal rice grains to cook. Unlike Cheery, she uses millet porridge, so I guess it's more nutritious. Normal rice not so nutritious. Mostly just carbohydrates. If I want her to have carbohydrates, I rather give potato.

Last edited:
faith, i bought from ntuc under organic section. Origins Hulled Millet 1kg packaging

i din give white potato cos it's recommended to give baby at 10 months

Attachments

• 1437819378987.jpg
    1437819378987.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 91
I also give rice when we eat outside. But sometimes I see the rice left on the chair I wonder if they eat or play with the rice. I have not get try potato on my own but I let the girls eat French fries when at swensen. Outside food I try ice cream, bun, bread, chicken on them. My girls lately just refused my porridge so I really cook until very tired. Waste so much money on the ingredient yet they didn eat :(

Joy I usually steam the veg and blend it then when porridge in slow cooker almost done I throw in.

I also give rice when we eat outside. But sometimes I see the rice left on the chair I wonder if they eat or play with the rice. I have not get try potato on my own but I let the girls eat French fries when at swensen. Outside food I try ice cream, bun, bread, chicken on them. My girls lately just refused my porridge so I really cook until very tired. Waste so much money on the ingredient yet they didn eat :(

Joy I usually steam the veg and blend it then when porridge in slow cooker almost done I throw in.

I think u let ur gals eat too much of outside food so they find ur porridge abit bland too them le. u need to add soy sauce or salt in it liao le

faith, i bought from ntuc under organic section. Origins Hulled Millet 1kg packaging

i din give white potato cos it's recommended to give baby at 10 months

white potato are u referring to the Russell potato? why cant give wor, I've been giving it to my boy frm 6 mths onwards wor

Wah iwahb, you let your girls eat French fries...isn't it salty for them?

Yeah Cheery, I'm also curious why white potato is only recommended to give at 10 months. I usually buy those USA Russet potatoes. The skin is brown in colour. I've been giving my girl to eat russet potatoes from 6 months onwards.

Snow, there is a difference between russet and white potatoes. Russet potatoes's skin are brown/muddy colour whereas white potatoes's skin are like pale yellow/beige colour. I read white potatoes are better to use for soups as they can hold the shape well. http://www.potatogoodness.com/all-about-potatoes/potato-types/
ImageUploadedByForum1437842095.289623.jpg
ImageUploadedByForum1437842104.961497.jpg

Joy, how old is your baby now? 7.5 months? You also have started feeding plain rice.

Last edited:
By the way, has anyone used the Avent storage cup to freeze food before? Is it okay? How do you thaw the food? Just put the whole cup into the warmer and warm it up? Because so far, I have not frozen any food and I usually keep the extra in Avent storage cup and refrigerate it. So I wanna know if I can freeze the food in Avent storage cup.

Cheery, which OXO Tot do you use to freeze food?
ImageUploadedByForum1437842545.732231.jpg
ImageUploadedByForum1437842559.183381.jpg

I have the first one, the one that looks like ice cube tray. But 1 cube is only about 3/4 oz.

Last edited:
Ladies, usually i refer to this website for a guide on when to introduce the type of food to babies n whether organic is necessary for those dirtest food contaminated with pesticide like apples, peach, Nectarines, white potatoes etc.

Reason why white potato is not recommended is stated too.. mainly due to the nutritional value..
http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/potatobabyfoodrecipes.htm

faith, russet potato is a type of white potato.. potatoes are categorised into white potatoes or sweet potatoes... n it is recommended to use russet potato for baby food.. as white potato is one of the dirtiest food.. it is recommended to purchase organic..

sweet potato is not one of the dirtest food affected by pesticide so non organic is fine.

finally manage to get parsnips from cold storage. can't wait to let them try out..

till now i nv give carrots cos of its nitrates issue n not as nutritious as compared to sweet potato n butternut..

i am using the 2nd type of oxo cubes tt store 4 oz.. i get bigger cubes cos easier to store for my twins as double portion.. i ordered 7 sets of 4oz cube blocks n 1 set of 2oz cube blocks from amazon.

the avent storage cup is the one tt can use to freeze bm right? i nv use tt for freezing b4 but i think shld be able to since it is used to freeze bm.. Usually i will thaw the food using tape water first.. then warm it up with hot water after its fully defrost.. i used an ice cream box to do the thawing n warming up of food as it can fit 2 oxo cubes in it

Last edited:
Iwantahealthybaby, wah u so fast let ur girls try outside food.. no wonder they reject your food.. cos outside food got seasonings added salt n sugar.. more flavours tt's y they reject the food u prepared.. natural bland flavours..

Last edited:
my baby 7.5m plus.. wow.. u all know so much about baby food! i really got a lot 2learn...

i wan 2buy é oxo food tray.. oxo thgs much cheaper on amazon...

i let baby try a few grain of rice.. see if will spit out.. in é end i thk he chew with tongue n gum...

u all think make sense 2buy leapfrog from amazon?

Last edited:
I am giving baby rice but squashed under my fingers before I give him. He loves it.

He doesn't like porridge so I'm still giving cereal with sweet potatoes. Later gonna try cereal with plum.

Thanks, Cheery! :)

Joy, I think things on Amazon is slightly cheaper because of the exchange rate. But be careful when you make the payment. There was once I paid in SGD instead of USD. Amazon will convert into SGD using their own conversion rate and it's much higher. If I had paid in USD, then let our credit card bank does the conversion, I think the rate is better.

Yeah babies are quite smart. They know how to chew with their gums before they swallow when the texture of the food becomes more coarse, provided the portion that we give is not too big chunk.

Joy, not that we are good in making baby food, I think because Cheery and I are SAHM, so we have more time to research and experiment with our LO.

Ete, are you also a SAHM?

Do you all give different food for every meal?

Each time I make her food, I always have 3 servings of 4 oz each. Then I will tend to feed her the same food for every meal so as not to keep the food for too long.

honestly i feel stay at hm even busier.. when at work can skive b4 n aft lunch, while travellin on mrt 2read n think.. stay at home every sec need 2look out 4baby.. my own sense as n when i stay at home alone with baby.. esp when ifc close!

yeah.. i jus check out a cart at amazon, really cr card fx rate better wor.. n can ship direct 2spore..

today easier 2feed cereal when lying in bouncer compared 2sittin on ikea baby chair... funny.. i gave cereal with pumpkim from yest.. i think baby likes.. but will scream in btwn spoons.. i wonder y...

Joy, yes when they still can't sit up on their own, feeding on bouncer is easier. But once they know how to sit up on their own, they will sit up on the bouncer. They will not lie down already. That's what my girl does. So now have to feed her on high chair. But I find that the easiest way to feed is when DH holds her sitting on his lap and I feed. Usually this method is very fast and she can finish all her food and even more.

Is potato nutrition enough? Ive been using potato, sweet potato, brocooli, carrot, asparagus, baby spinach, thread fin, salmon, cai xin, xiao bai cai n etc to feed my boy.
I bought a few cookbook to look at the recipe to cook for my boy if not everyday porridge he will reject.
We tried bake salmon for him n im surprise he can finish almost a whole big piece. Ive even tried egg omelette with potato n broccoli n egg then go pan fry he can finish 6 piece for lunch n abt 5 piece for dinner n sometimes woth rice.

Snow, how do you take away the smell of salmon? Will baking make salmon taste less fishy?

According to my hub no salmon smell unlike the type he bought frm ntuc those frozen with seasoning de. Which he air fry n eat himself. That type he say got very strong smell. Initially we cook with porridge n he add abit of lemon in it to cover the smell we tried 2 times but my boy take a few spoon then reject liao. So we air fry the salmon purely without any seasoning. N my boy just eat finish almost a whole big piece.

I buy fresh salmon and threadfin from wet market. For fish I don't buy from supermarkets. I don't marinate fish. I cooked salmon twice. One was just put into porridge and cook. 2nd time was I steamed the salmon together with sweet potatoes and carrots and blend. Both times my girl didn't like it. But for threadfin, if I cook the same way, she's fine with it.

So your air fryer is the Philip one?

No wor the French fries is without salt if I give and only yesterday lightly salted bah. But the thing is she didn even try her own food how she know tasty or salty A not? I feel she prefer to ownself feed take and eat rather than being feed. But I really don't know how to let her own feed porridge :( and according to IFC they also no salt no soy sauce How come she eat? Headache.

I got both faith and cheery oxo cube but I haven't use as I using avent one. The one use for bm.

Iwahb, then maybe don't give porridge lor. Give other finger foods that you can do BLW. I read that for BLW, we only do the cooking, mashing and offering. The rest is up to the baby. Baby will also decide how much she wants to eat like BF on demand. So if do BLW, we can only sit back and observe her. The most is only guide her how to put the food into her mouth. No spoon feeding at all.

If not, like me, I don't give porridge most of the time. Just blend fruits, vegetables and meat together.

Actually it's a good thing that she wants independence in feeding herself. It's a milestone unlocked.

I buy fresh salmon and threadfin from wet market. For fish I don't buy from supermarkets. I don't marinate fish. I cooked salmon twice. One was just put into porridge and cook. 2nd time was I steamed the salmon together with sweet potatoes and carrots and blend. Both times my girl didn't like it. But for threadfin, if I cook the same way, she's fine with it.

So your air fryer is the Philip one?

Yup is frm philip air fryer. I dont eat salmon so muz wait for my hub to cook n eat together wif my boy

No wor the French fries is without salt if I give and only yesterday lightly salted bah. But the thing is she didn even try her own food how she know tasty or salty A not? I feel she prefer to ownself feed take and eat rather than being feed. But I really don't know how to let her own feed porridge :( and according to IFC they also no salt no soy sauce How come she eat? Headache.

I got both faith and cheery oxo cube but I haven't use as I using avent one. The one use for bm.

Mummies in my group say at a certain stage they will want to eat our food n not their food. Maybe ur infant care their porridge is more tasty then urs? Probably they add quite a few items to make the porridge more nice?

today I ask the teachers again and they claim oh surprise over here she ok to eat but refuse to drink but for my case is ok to drink refuse to eat lol. they also say maybe theirs tasty. I ask them what they cook they say spinach and tofu in the porridge which I also do before. even cereals she is ok. I cannot take that mine is less tasty cause she didn taste at all lol how to convince mine not tasty. u mean by smelling ar can taste gd or not. hope it will end soon and get back to normal. they hitting 1 yr mark if she keeps refusing I don't know how to start 3x solids for her.

today I ask the teachers again and they claim oh surprise over here she ok to eat but refuse to drink but for my case is ok to drink refuse to eat lol. they also say maybe theirs tasty. I ask them what they cook they say spinach and tofu in the porridge which I also do before. even cereals she is ok. I cannot take that mine is less tasty cause she didn taste at all lol how to convince mine not tasty. u mean by smelling ar can taste gd or not. hope it will end soon and get back to normal. they hitting 1 yr mark if she keeps refusing I don't know how to start 3x solids for her.

Probably infant care got more bb so see all bb eat ur gal also eat... Haha

é teacher also say if they put 3babies 2gether n play n feed they r ok one.. or they see their friend eat b4 them also ok..

if one of é 3 friend leave 1st, u will hear è other 2cry!

Ete, I see. Jiayou and also to all other working mummies! :)

Sometimes I will think with my girl's sleep pattern like waking up almost every hour, how to have the energy to go to work if I am still working?

Just now I went Giant to do grocery shopping and bought lots of stuff. I couldn't find hulled millet from Origins so I bought quinoa from Origins instead. Quinoa is so expensive. Also bought French beans, asparagus, zucchini, yoghurt and beef. These are new foods that I'm gonna introduce to my girl.

Cheery, I read up the website that you recommend about dirty foods but couldn't find organic russet potatoes in Giant. In the end, just bought the non organic ones.

Anyone stopping bfing soon? Now that my boy starts 2 times cereal he takes less milk in the day. So I'd have excess milk. Sometimes he doesn't like the taste of bm n needed to add some milk powder then he drinks... think I am reducing my production soon

Ete, I'm still BF on demand. I haven't pumped since March.

Cheery, yeah Giant not much organic foods but those asparagus, French beans, zucchini that I bought yesterday are all organic. Only russet potatoes, apples, broccoli and bananas are not organic. I read apples are actually the most "dirty" food. But if we peel off the skin, the pesticides should be reduced, right?

Back