Constipation after pregnancy! Help!

Chloe-w

I suffered constipation throughout my third trimester and was on stool softeners. Doctor says pregnancy constipation is common. But I am 4 and half months post partum now and still constipated. I was on stool softeners daily 3 times a day. But was frustrated at the stituation so I tried to stop taking them on a few occasions. Everytime I try to stop taking, usually about 4 days after stopping, my stools will become harder and more difficult to pass and eventually hard enough to cause bleeding from the piles. Does any mummy out there face the same problem? And does it get better? I'm very frustrated because I didn't used to have constipation problem no matter what I ate. Doctor says to take more fibre, drink more water. But it's not really helping. So I'm back on stool softeners now. Also someone introduced to me this phyto fibre thing that helps with bowel movements. The thing is I don't want to depend on all these things. Im so depressed about this whole constipation thing! Will it get better? Really hope someone have similar experiences can share with me their stories.

Maybe you can go to your doctor and ask him/her to prescribe liquid laxative for you.
Thanks for your reply! But laxatives will loosen the intestines in the long run and eventually body will not be able to function properly and need to depend on them. Situation still under control after I take the stool softeners so I don't want to take laxatives. I am just hoping i will get back my body as it used to be.

Thanks for your reply! But laxatives will loosen the intestines in the long run and eventually body will not be able to function properly and need to depend on them. Situation still under control after I take the stool softeners so I don't want to take laxatives. I am just hoping i will get back my body as it used to be.

You're welcome! Have you tried going for TMC? Maybe those needles might help.

have you tried prune juice? i had bad constipation when pregnant too (thankfully reversed after delivery) and the stuff that docs prescribe has little effect on me. but when i took prune juice (diluted), i get the runs (painful tummyache though). you may wish to try.

also, are you still on multi vits, calcium pills etc? these can cause constipation too.

have you tried prune juice? i had bad constipation when pregnant too (thankfully reversed after delivery) and the stuff that docs prescribe has little effect on me. but when i took prune juice (diluted), i get the runs (painful tummyache though). you may wish to try.

also, are you still on multi vits, calcium pills etc? these can cause constipation too.

Prune juice doesn't work for me. :( Papaya used to work for me before pregnancy. but pregnancy and after delivery it doesn't. It's slightly better now (I didn't do anything different, it's just the hormones in my body changing) not on multi vits. Just hoping it will it will reverse soon like you! Haha

What about dragonfruit? It works for me.
It is natural and nutritious. So no harm trying.
Nope! Doesn't work! Tried lemon water as well but also doesn't. I recently find that Coffee makes me go to the toilet. But I get headaches drinking coffee . Wonder how long will be body revert back to normal, or would it at all.

You should prolly try to go TMC asap as constipation might cause piles. Which is gonna make you more frustrated. Hope everything goes well for you :)

I had constipation for 1 mth post partum till I got scared of going toilet. I actually dig my stool and can feel it being sooo hard. And every time after toilet, I can sit for almost the the day. Can only lie down or stand up.

I drank yakult everyday and somehow it worked for me. It didnt work wonderfully, but it got the job done, and the pain was lesser and lesser after a few days.

It could be your muscle is still weak, exercise and massage may help. Sesame oil, coconut oil could help to pass motion faster. If not try TCM, not necessary need to be poked, maybe sanseh will give u some herbs.

I had constipation for 1 mth post partum till I got scared of going toilet. I actually dig my stool and can feel it being sooo hard. And every time after toilet, I can sit for almost the the day. Can only lie down or stand up.

I drank yakult everyday and somehow it worked for me. It didnt work wonderfully, but it got the job done, and the pain was lesser and lesser after a few days.

So you are back to normal after 1 month? Good on you! Ya mine was really bad for a few months during pregnancy and up until about 2 months post partum. Like you, I had to "dig". (A little tmi but ya I guess a lot of mummies face similar situation esp during pregnancy)

It could be your muscle is still weak, exercise and massage may help. Sesame oil, coconut oil could help to pass motion faster. If not try TCM, not necessary need to be poked, maybe sanseh will give u some herbs.
Yup will prolly try sanseh. Cos desperate already. I do pelvic floor exercise almost everyday hoping to strengthen my muscles. I also try to exercise as much as I can like slow jog and aerobic exercises.

So you are back to normal after 1 month? Good on you! Ya mine was really bad for a few months during pregnancy and up until about 2 months post partum. Like you, I had to "dig". (A little tmi but ya I guess a lot of mummies face similar situation esp during pregnancy)

The stools came out a lil softer than before. Hard but softer. At least it was less painful.

During pregnancy I don't have this problem. In fact I can go toilet for 3-4times a day. But all soft. Like diarrhea kind. When I asked gynae abt it, she said it was normal. (irritating right, whenever they say its normal!!) So I didn't really dwell too much abt it. I was even able to pass motion one day after I delivery. So I thot i was ok. Till I got back home. Every time wanna go toilet, I cried! Tried banana, oats, juices all dont work. I did pelvic exercises as well.
My nephew drank yakult as well whenever he cant go toilet, so I thot of giving yakult a try. So 1 bottle a day (I call it my cheat drink during confinement as that's the only cold drink I was able to drink! Hehhe)
Then slowly2 it was easier to go!

Hope you'll be ok soon. I sooo know how it feels. Not something that we want after delivery. Take care

T
The stools came out a lil softer than before. Hard but softer. At least it was less painful.

During pregnancy I don't have this problem. In fact I can go toilet for 3-4times a day. But all soft. Like diarrhea kind. When I asked gynae abt it, she said it was normal. (irritating right, whenever they say its normal!!) So I didn't really dwell too much abt it. I was even able to pass motion one day after I delivery. So I thot i was ok. Till I got back home. Every time wanna go toilet, I cried! Tried banana, oats, juices all dont work. I did pelvic exercises as well.
My nephew drank yakult as well whenever he cant go toilet, so I thot of giving yakult a try. So 1 bottle a day (I call it my cheat drink during confinement as that's the only cold drink I was able to drink! Hehhe)
Then slowly2 it was easier to go!

Hope you'll be ok soon. I sooo know how it feels. Not something that we want after delivery. Take care

Thanks for your advice! I'm taking probiotic tablets now. Hopefully it will get better cos I'm thinking of a second baby but seriously scared now to think about the constipation. All the pain I can take it but this constipation issue is so unbearable!

few thgs 2try:

papaya juice with yakult

probiotic, powder in sachet type.. take for 2m.. it should help u b able 2hav softer bowel on ur own eventually. tak with cold water..

prune juice (but gyne dun
recommend bottle ones if breastfeeding)

really lots of water 2not make it worst...

massage stomach towards left arm n downwards...

hope all mummies recover well

I hope chloe is way past her suffrage from constipation. I would have recommended prune juice. It's one of the best natural remedies out there for constipation relief. What makes it good for constipation is that it contains almost all the necessary nutrients for a drink or food to be remedial for this condition. It consists of soluble & non-soluble fiber, sorbitol, Dihydrophenylisatin (which increases fluid secretion) & some digestive enzymes. Prune juice helps soften the stool which makes the bowel movement smooth.

This was my source of knowledge, you can read more over here: http://www.foods4betterhealth.com/how-much-prune-juice-for-constipation-28946

Hi guys! Have you all at any point had a go at trying cannabis for medicinal purposes? CBD is a currently a hot topic now. Research reveals medical marijuana can treat digestive disorders, including constipation. Constipation can also be caused by digestive disorders treated with medical marijuana. Furthermore, medical marijuana can substitute or reduce the dosage of certain medications causing constipation, such as opiates. This indicates medical marijuana may not only treat constipation itself, but some underlying causes, like this article in www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/blueberry/. Not only that, it can help you in terms of pain management, anxiety disorders and panic attacks, inflamation, even cancer and a lot more. Luckily, they've also found new ways to infuse cannabis on food and beverages. I would like to hear any personal experience or testimonial would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Back