(2015/05) May 2015 Mummies

Checking in after so many days....
Breasts engorgement has come for me. Swelling and in pain....How come so engorged and no milk when I pumped 5-6 times today - any mummies got tips? I don't know what is wrong when there isn't even a wee bit of milk. How can both breasts be so blocked, or is it possible?

Thinking of going to visit LC tomorrow.
Try to hand express n massage coz pumps may not be effective to clear engorgement. That's what happen to me. I also use cold compress after pumping to relieve engorgement.

Checking in after so many days....
Breasts engorgement has come for me. Swelling and in pain....How come so engorged and no milk when I pumped 5-6 times today - any mummies got tips? I don't know what is wrong when there isn't even a wee bit of milk. How can both breasts be so blocked, or is it possible?

Thinking of going to visit LC tomorrow.

First few days after delivery is liddat de, body only producing small amt of colostrum so wont see much after a pump. R u able to latch more instead of pumping? Could be better.

Tmr is day 7 for me and im oso producing only abt 50-60ml per pump. But will try to latch ah boy abt twice a day, feel dat the engorgement not so severe if latch.

@dreamersg been feeding LO with expressed milk,that's why abrasion due to pumping. I tried to drag it till 3hrs+ then pump but my breasts engorged like mad! So painful that I can hardly move my arm.

@highness I don't want to give up too. But the abrasion is getting worse due to excessive pumping like u said. Using spectra M1 too. Usually I pump 30mins in level 3,yield about 160-180ml. Now I try using level 2,so slow,only about 60ml total. Not enough to feed baby plus engorge cos breast never empty. I'm very lost leh. Pump also cannot,no pump also cannot. How do u manage to drag the timing to 4hrs instead of 3hrs? My breasts will be engorged.
Pump 30mins too long liao. If u go LC, they'll tell u to break into 3 cycles of 5 mins, max is 4 cycles which is total of 20mins. Initial stage I oso pump 30mins/ session to get the milk in. Once the milk flow is in and stable, I switch to 15mins as my nipples cannot take it le.
How to drag to 4 hrs ar... Train ur breasts lo. First few time, may get engorge. But will get used to it and can pump in 4hrly. Yield will drop but better than no milk for ur bb at all. Actually my purpose of dragging the frequency is to gradually stop bf too. But now my breasts r comfortable with this pace, no engorge and not painful. So I keep going on.
Find a way to work out with "best friend". I talk to them too, haha...

Pump 30mins too long liao. If u go LC, they'll tell u to break into 3 cycles of 5 mins, max is 4 cycles which is total of 20mins. Initial stage I oso pump 30mins/ session to get the milk in. Once the milk flow is in and stable, I switch to 15mins as my nipples cannot take it le.
How to drag to 4 hrs ar... Train ur breasts lo. First few time, may get engorge. But will get used to it and can pump in 4hrly. Yield will drop but better than no milk for ur bb at all. Actually my purpose of dragging the frequency is to gradually stop bf too. But now my breasts r comfortable with this pace, no engorge and not painful. So I keep going on.
Find a way to work out with "best friend". I talk to them too, haha...
Haven't decide if I should visit LC. Cos my episiotomy wound still pain. Almost 4wks already still not ok. Maybe due to the restitch that's so traumatizing. Will try to drag to longer hrs & perhaps change flange size to try again. Seems the 'training' of breasts is a painful transition.

Try using those nipple shields or breast shells to protect ur nipples in btwn pumps - put nipple cream as well. And do shorter pump sessions ah, I feel 30min is too long leh, try 20min.

My breasts oso wont completely empty after pump, except after a breast massage session, but i learned to live with it lor. Just do ur best k, u r still a wonderful mummy.
I hope I can't tahan the engorgement pain. Will try 20mins max from now. Nipple shields block my supply leh. Can't pump my milk out. I'm having massage in the noon. Dreadful for the breasts part. Gonna be a torture.

Any of ur PD prescribe vitamins for ur bb? Something to take daily.. or nothing? Mine is nothing but my SIL was prescribed one..

First few days after delivery is liddat de, body only producing small amt of colostrum so wont see much after a pump. R u able to latch more instead of pumping? Could be better.

Tmr is day 7 for me and im oso producing only abt 50-60ml per pump. But will try to latch ah boy abt twice a day, feel dat the engorgement not so severe if latch.

Weird thing is nothing is coming out at all even when I hand squeeze. As if both breasts entirely stuck at nipples leh. I felt the aching sensation at my armpits and nips are hard so v sure got milk right? Is this normal?? Baby is not hungry won't latch on but when hungry too angry to latch more than a min coz no milk come out. Sigh! I think send myself to LC to suffer the worst pain and clear the blockage is the best way probably?
So so frustrating and worried abt infection last night.

@happycsk i think ur milk stuck at ur areola area. I aso now liddat.. Esp underarms damn pain, 5days still not cleared.
I think u shld visit LC or get ML to help u release the milk leh...

@Purplehunny , close 2 eyes n endure, it b over before u know it.. At least get it cleared before u can even consider to stop pumping/bf. dun wan the blockage to cause fever etc..

Mummies using spectra, is it ok to only use the massage mode? If i use the expression & massage mode combine, my yield is lesser. Jus purely massage mode get more milk leh.

Any of ur PD prescribe vitamins for ur bb? Something to take daily.. or nothing? Mine is nothing but my SIL was prescribed one..

No leh, nv heard of bb vitamins to b taken this young... Any particular reason for taking? I only start bb on fish oil after 6mth old leh

@happycsk i think ur milk stuck at ur areola area. I aso now liddat.. Esp underarms damn pain, 5days still not cleared.

@Purplehunny , close 2 eyes n endure, it b over before u know it.. At least get it cleared before u can even consider to stop pumping/bf. dun wan the blockage to cause fever etc..

Mummies using spectra, is it ok to only use the massage mode? If i use the expression & massage mode combine, my yield is lesser. Jus purely massage mode get more milk leh.
@furbee , massage mode is oni to get stimulate leh. But up to ur comfort level la.

@Purplehunny , I tried using level 3 last nite, and this morning start to get a bit engorge and pain. Think is too harsh. No doubt it help to stimulate/ pump more milk but physically torture wor.

@furbee really?? I oso find dat e massage mode got more milk come out, but maybe its just e initial letdown. Not sure if can use all the way leh. Im currently pumping only max 15min cos dun wanna 'overwork' nipples so early on.

Oh really? Thank u for shedding some light on this! My areola is hardened and lumps under armpit is painful! I am so worried y like tat and I don't know why in the world I cannot manage to even express one drop. I am going to get LC help now. Again feels like why am I sending myself to experience pain...damn sian....c sect wound haven't healed, feet so swollen and now this.

At the pd and my boy's jaundice lvl went up to 12.3. No need to hospitalised, but had to followup 2-3 days later. Did anyone rent the phototherapy bed for bb at home?

Hey mummies,wanna ask those of you who wear Uniqlo airism bra top - why do you wear it? For easier latching on or just for comfort in this hot weather? Also,do you wear it at home only or for going out?

I just bought 3 pieces and wondering when I should wear it. Haha.

So how's the surgery? I supposed you are 'all clear' now? Hope you get well really soon! Im going for my scan later, hopefully everything ok
It went well. They cleared some clots n tissues but I have very low blood count due to blood loss. Now back at home. Am so glad to see bb. Hope ur scan is OK.

@furbee , massage mode is oni to get stimulate leh. But up to ur comfort level la.

@Purplehunny , I tried using level 3 last nite, and this morning start to get a bit engorge and pain. Think is too harsh. No doubt it help to stimulate/ pump more milk but physically torture wor.

Hi highness which LC did you visit and whether what is the costs? My baby latch for hours and after taking it out she still wants to drink.

Is the spectra pump good? I using the Medela freestyle. Not very much yield though.

Any reviews of freemie? Wanted to get a pair but not sure where is cheaper to get?

It went well. They cleared some clots n tissues but I have very low blood count due to blood loss. Now back at home. Am so glad to see bb. Hope ur scan is OK.
Take care and rest well!

Hi highness which LC did you visit and whether what is the costs? My baby latch for hours and after taking it out she still wants to drink.

Is the spectra pump good? I using the Medela freestyle. Not very much yield though.

Any reviews of freemie? Wanted to get a pair but not sure where is cheaper to get?

I went to the TMC parentcraft. My first visit, mrs Wong was there, and she show me how to latch my bb. But is difficult to do it at home myself. She seems to be able to manipulate all babies, haha..

LC is $37, subject to 7% GST. Mrs Wong consultation got additional charge.
LC recommend spectra S1 tho, hospital grade. Especially for exclusive pumping mums.

@missyblueberry I just got my freemie on Sunday.. bought it at $145. The first time I used it, it was fantastic as my hands are free! However, due to the many connection points, the suction is very weak even at the strength 3 (I usually use strength 1 for normal pumping and strength 3 for freemie). Only little milk was collected and my breast were engorged.

I revert back to normal pumping to clear the blockage. I tried again this morning and seems OK leh.. will continue to test it.

Take care and rest well!

I went to the TMC parentcraft. My first visit, mrs Wong was there, and she show me how to latch my bb. But is difficult to do it at home myself. She seems to be able to manipulate all babies, haha..

LC is $37, subject to 7% GST. Mrs Wong consultation got additional charge.
LC recommend spectra S1 tho, hospital grade. Especially for exclusive pumping mums.

Do we have to make appointment to see Mrs Wong? My baby didn't managed to latch initially and then now managed to latch but latch for hour. Still not full then have to feed with ebm. Very lost not sure what she wants suddenly. Headache!

@missyblueberry I just got my freemie on Sunday.. bought it at $145. The first time I used it, it was fantastic as my hands are free! However, due to the many connection points, the suction is very weak even at the strength 3 (I usually use strength 1 for normal pumping and strength 3 for freemie). Only little milk was collected and my breast were engorged.

I revert back to normal pumping to clear the blockage. I tried again this morning and seems OK leh.. will continue to test it.

Thanks for your review! I am thinking whether should I get it or just get another pump to standby. Breastfeeding journey is difficult but preserve on!

Actually, if you diligently expose him to the morning and evening sun, it's sufficient. It helps alot.

Thks, guess will wait till the review on Friday to decide. Must really diligently sun him from now onwards!

Nway jus wanted to mention dat i dun like e pd at TMC which was assigned to me. Went there out of convenience cos i had my gynae appt as well. Clinic was ultra packed. The pd felt quite aloof, probably bcos need to see too many babies / sick kids. Will be going back to my old pd instead, at least i like the dr very much.

Hi, I'm an April mommy following this thread. I'm on exclusive pump since my first child. This is my 3rd child. For mommies who are having blocked aerola, hardened breasts (basically, difficulty expressing even though the breasts seems to be engorged) you can try wearing frozen cabbage leaves in your bra. Leave it there for 15-20min and thereafter try expressing again when the breasts have soften. Just a suggestion.

Hello mummies! Me back from parent craft. Turns out my engorgement isn't related to milk (yet). LC massaged/pump/hand squeeze for me and there was nothing. She says it's all swollen tissue for me at this stage.

After this engorgement phase of 2-3 days, milk will then come in. We shall see....I hope she's right. I am 5th day post partum and nv heard of this situation before. I was still expecting to be able express a few drops.

Just sharing my experience so in case anyone same situation as me, still waiting for the liquid gold to show up.

Hi, I'm an April mommy following this thread. I'm on exclusive pump since my first child. This is my 3rd child. For mommies who are having blocked aerola, hardened breasts (basically, difficulty expressing even though the breasts seems to be engorged) you can try wearing frozen cabbage leaves in your bra. Leave it there for 15-20min and thereafter try expressing again when the breasts have soften. Just a suggestion.

Thank u for sharing this!
LC did ask me use cabbage leaves and change out every 2 hours till my milk is here. :)
I am likely to be pumping more after milk comes in and not latching as often coz I have confinement auntie who prefer to bottle feed at night.

Thks, guess will wait till the review on Friday to decide. Must really diligently sun him from now onwards!

Nway jus wanted to mention dat i dun like e pd at TMC which was assigned to me. Went there out of convenience cos i had my gynae appt as well. Clinic was ultra packed. The pd felt quite aloof, probably bcos need to see too many babies / sick kids. Will be going back to my old pd instead, at least i like the dr very much.

May I know who is your old pd? My current pd always so busy and the clinic very pack.

May I know who is your old pd? My current pd always so busy and the clinic very pack.

Im seeing Dr Nancy Tan at SBCC Gleneagles. She is very nice and friendly de, but sometimes even with appt oso need to wait awhile. But would rather wait there than wait at TMC lor.

I stay in west side, really no good pd ard here dats why go back to Dr Tan even tho gleneagles is a distance away.

Im seeing Dr Nancy Tan at SBCC Gleneagles. She is very nice and friendly de, but sometimes even with appt oso need to wait awhile. But would rather wait there than wait at TMC lor.

I stay in west side, really no good pd ard here dats why go back to Dr Tan even tho gleneagles is a distance away.

My pd is Dr Liew WK at Sbcc gleanegles! The clinic is always very packed with kids of all ages. I realised sbcc has many branches in the heartland region. Not sure if should switch to one nearer to our home. Bt so far Dr Liew has been quite nice :)

My pd is Dr Liew WK at Sbcc gleanegles! The clinic is always very packed with kids of all ages. I realised sbcc has many branches in the heartland region. Not sure if should switch to one nearer to our home. Bt so far Dr Liew has been quite nice :)

Wat a coincidence! Is there a Dr Liew? I thot the other pd's name is Dr Ratna something. Yah the clinic is pretty packed since they moved, but my pd so nice and reassuring, still can chit chat with me. So ok lor haha. For vaccinations and stuff I dun mind travelling there, but normal coughs and flu for my #1 i will settle at GP.

@cynn04 , i rented b4 cos it was neccessary 13.1, n no sun during the haze period. Its v convenient, but of cos if u can sun bb n monitor few days b4 renting wld b better like @BubsandBloms mention. I believe ur bb jaundice will go down after hitting the peak lvl..

@happycsk , did they provide cabbage fr u?hehe.. Gt a friend went there n LC gave her a bag of cold cabbage, which i tink was kind of them..

Do we have to make appointment to see Mrs Wong? My baby didn't managed to latch initially and then now managed to latch but latch for hour. Still not full then have to feed with ebm. Very lost not sure what she wants suddenly. Headache!

Yup need call to fix appt. tat time i went was served by another LC, mrs wong was at some roadshow, her appt v v packed! But i think their LC mostly will seek 2nd opinon frm mrs wong if she ard

My freestyle also cant yield much, motor v weak which means the suction slow. Sigh. Tat y i bought a S9+ spectra. So far so gd, only thing is no handsfree. I tried to pump one side with spectra theother freestyle, difference 20-50ml more for spectra. I also considered freemie, but like quite ex .. Add on the cost total ard $300, so like not really worth leh. Maybe will get a handsfree bra to try. But overall spectra suction is quite gd

No leh, nv heard of bb vitamins to b taken this young... Any particular reason for taking? I only start bb on fish oil after 6mth old leh
My mom said my 1mth old nephew is taking vitamin daily.. so asking if I have one too.. i was like.. no, my PD nv suggest any..

Hi mummies, any of u taking supplements to boost milk supply? My supply quite low.
Btw, can I check what's e ang pow rate for CL now?

Hey! When I gave birth in April, my gynae also assigned Dr Nancy Tan as pd to my girl. I brought my girl to her for 1st jaundice follow-up check and weight gain. Then she suggested that I bring my girl to polyclinic subsequently for jabs and jaundice checks. She's kind enough to help us save money. Haha. Like her too!

Yah,I thought the other pd at sbcc gleneagles is an Indian lady?

Before I moved house,my kids visited Dr Wong (male pd) at sbcc tiong bahru. He's also good and friendly. Now we live too far so settle for another pd near our place.

Yah,I thought the other pd at sbcc gleneagles is an Indian lady?

Before I moved house,my kids visited Dr Wong (male pd) at sbcc tiong bahru. He's also good and friendly. Now we live too far so settle for another pd near our place.
Hmmmm is the clinic u girls talk about at level 6 (tucked all the way at a corner, right turn from elevator?). The clinic i went to has two pd. One is dr liew (male) and one is a chinese lady i think. Hmmmm. Haha. I heard tiong bahru has a good pd by the name of dr adrian i think. My nephew used to see him often due to ezcema..

Ok i googled. Apparently theres two sbcc branches at gleneagles. The one u girls go to shld be at level 9 whilst mine is at level 6. Not sure whats the difference in services though haha

ImageUploadedByForum1433234133.504643.jpg

Just for fun :)

Hi mummies, any of u taking supplements to boost milk supply? My supply quite low.
Btw, can I check what's e ang pow rate for CL now?

im taking fenugreek tablets as recommended by LC during my hospital stay. drink lots of water do help too. the weather is unbearably hot so fluid helps. red dates tea too but i stopped drinking 2 days after delivery as i was having lots of mouth ulcers. initially i thought i was heaty but after seeing the doctor it was post trauma signals since i had that too 8 years ago from removing 4 wisdom teeth before wearing braces.
for confinement lady i gave her 40 when she arrived. my friends gave that standard rate for their CLs too . hope this helps.

Back