My Water Birth Story @ NUH

zaclin29

Hi mummies,

Just to share my water birth story for those who are considering to do water birth..
I just gave birth to my baby girl on 13 Aug 2012 @ NUH.
Here's my birth story.

12 Aug:
12pm - Woke up with menses cramp feeling. Felt so darn excited cos it was my due date and baby girl has cooperated so well! Went to the toilet and found brown discharge and I knew it's time already.

12.30pm- Told hubby to buy super spicy tom yam soup cos I want the contractions to kick in fast and I wanna deliver on 12 Aug! Haha.. So I had lunch and felt the contraction got more intense. Contraction was every 25 mins. (Pain score : 0/10)

4pm- Found that contraction is kicking in too slow. Contraction was every 15mins. Decided to go for a walk and went for groceries shopping at NTUC with hubby and we even went window shopping for about 1.5hrs. LOL! (Pain score : 0/10)

6pm- I was abit too kan cheong, baby girl is not going to make it out by 12 Aug so I decided to walk up my block of 16 storeys. Walked up all the way and felt contractions got stronger the more I walked. Great!

7pm- Contraction every 10mins. Called the hospital and was told to stay at home until contraction is every 5mins or until the pain is unbearable or waterbag burst. Called my doula to standby. (Pain score : 1/10)

8pm- Contraction every 5mins. Bearable pain. Practice breathing technique at the same time and did labour exercises at home (squats and hip rotations) (Pain score : 2/10)

13 Aug:
2am- Contraction every 2mins. Called hospital that I’m going down and to prepare the labour ward for me (cos Im having waterbirth). Didnt want to lie down or sit down cos the pain will get worst so was on all fours in the car so that I can move my hips freely. Haha. Went into the labour ward and the doc in duty checked and I was 3cm dilated. Was on CTG for 30mins then I was walking around in the labour ward, used the birth ball and laughing gas to manage the pain (Pain score : 4/10)

3am- My doula arrived and helped me with the pain management by massaging my back. (Pain score : 5/10)

4.30am - Contractions was like every 30sec! I was so tired from the pains and physical activities. Asked the doula to check my cervix and was 5cm dilated. Got so irritated cos like so slow! So I inhaled the laughing gas 6 times at one shot! My doula had to snatch the mask away from me and told me not to inhale so much. I knocked out after that. Went in and out of sleep for the next 2hrs! I felt my waterbag burst around 5.30am. (Pain score : 7/10)

6.30am- Suddenly my body went into pushing motion. I woke up. After 3 contractions, I confirmed that I was ready to push. Told the doula to check on my cervix again. Dilated 9cm. (Darn! I wanted to get into the water at 8cm!). Doula prepared the birthing tub. (Pain score: 9/10)

7am- Went into the birthing tub. Pain subsided and pain score went down to 5/10. Was relaxed but mentally told myself not to get too relax otherwise the contractions will go away.

7.30am- Body went into pushing motion again. Told my doula I was going to start pushing now. After pushing for about 10 times, asked doula if baby was crowning already. She said not yet. I knew I was pushing wrongly. Got my head and body reorganised and started to push again. After 5 push, doula said she was crowning and told me to touch baby's head. I touched but couldnt make out that it was the head. haha. I knew I just need few more pushes and she will be out. She was halfway out and my doula told me to stop pushing. I was like WTH?? My vagina is like super stretched out now! I told her NO! I want to push her out now! So I pushed and she was out. I grabbed hold of her and carry her out of the water and onto my chest. I hugged her and she cried. Then my gynae arrived. (Yeah, she was late!) Hubby, me, baby just sat there for 15mins. Then hubby cut her umbilical cord. I passed baby to hubby and got out of the water and walked to the bed to deliver the placenta and for stitching. I tear naturally and had 7 stitches.

While my gynae did the stitching, I breastfed my baby. She suckled for 45 mins on each breasts. Then her weight is taken and vitamin K is given. No cleaning up is done for her cos she was already very clean when she came out of the water.

Overall I had an amazing childbirth experience. Everything went smoothly as per my birth plan.
It was a totally drug-free birth that I have always dreamed of.
No epi, no drugs, no drips, no injections, no episotomy. It was an au naturel birth.

Hi mummies,

Just to share my water birth story for those who are considering to do water birth..
Here's my birth story.

12 Aug:
12pm - Woke up with menses cramp feeling. Felt so darn excited cos it was my due date and baby girl has cooperated so well! Went to the toilet and found brown discharge and I knew it's time already.

12.30pm- Told hubby to buy super spicy tom yam soup cos I want the contractions to kick in fast and I wanna deliver on 12 Aug! Haha.. So I had lunch and felt the contraction got more intense. Contraction was every 25 mins. (Pain score : 0/10)

4pm- Found that contraction is kicking in too slow. Contraction was every 15mins. Decided to go for a walk and went for groceries shopping at NTUC with hubby and we even went window shopping for about 1.5hrs. LOL! (Pain score : 0/10)

6pm- I was abit too kan cheong, baby girl is not going to make it out by 12 Aug so I decided to walk up my block of 16 storeys. Walked up all the way and felt contractions got stronger the more I walked. Great!

7pm- Contraction every 10mins. Called the hospital and was told to stay at home until contraction is every 5mins or until the pain is unbearable or waterbag burst. Called my doula to standby. (Pain score : 1/10)

8pm- Contraction every 5mins. Bearable pain. Practice breathing technique at the same time and did labour exercises at home (squats and hip rotations) (Pain score : 2/10)

13 Aug:
2am- Contraction every 2mins. Called hospital that I’m going down and to prepare the labour ward for me (cos Im having waterbirth). Didnt want to lie down or sit down cos the pain will get worst so was on all fours in the car so that I can move my hips freely. Haha. Went into the labour ward and the doc in duty checked and I was 3cm dilated. Was on CTG for 30mins then I was walking around in the labour ward, used the birth ball and laughing gas to manage the pain (Pain score : 4/10)

3am- My doula arrived and helped me with the pain management by massaging my back. (Pain score : 5/10)

4.30am - Contractions was like every 30sec! I was so tired from the pains and physical activities. Asked the doula to check my cervix and was 5cm dilated. Got so irritated cos like so slow! So I inhaled the laughing gas 6 times at one shot! My doula had to snatch the mask away from me and told me not to inhale so much. I knocked out after that. Went in and out of sleep for the next 2hrs! I felt my waterbag burst around 5.30am. (Pain score : 7/10)

6.30am- Suddenly my body went into pushing motion. I woke up. After 3 contractions, I confirmed that I was ready to push. Told the doula to check on my cervix again. Dilated 9cm. (Darn! I wanted to get into the water at 8cm!). Doula prepared the birthing tub. (Pain score: 9/10)

7am- Went into the birthing tub. Pain subsided and pain score went down to 5/10. Was relaxed but mentally told myself not to get too relax otherwise the contractions will go away.

7.30am- Body went into pushing motion again. Told my doula I was going to start pushing now. After pushing for about 10 times, asked doula if baby was crowning already. She said not yet. I knew I was pushing wrongly. Got my head and body reorganised and started to push again. After 5 push, doula said she was crowning and told me to touch baby's head. I touched but couldnt make out that it was the head. haha. I knew I just need few more pushes and she will be out. She was halfway out and my doula told me to stop pushing. I was like WTH?? My vagina is like super stretched out now! I told her NO! I want to push her out now! So I pushed and she was out. I grabbed hold of her and carry her out of the water and onto my chest. I hugged her and she cried. Then my gynae arrived. (Yeah, she was late!) Hubby, me, baby just sat there for 15mins. Then hubby cut her umbilical cord. I passed baby to hubby and got out of the water and walked to the bed to deliver the placenta and for stitching. I tear naturally and had 7 stitches.

While my gynae did the stitching, I breastfed my baby. She suckled for 45 mins on each breasts. Then her weight is taken and vitamin K is given. No cleaning up is done for her cos she was already very clean when she came out of the water.

Overall I had an amazing childbirth experience. Everything went smoothly as per my birth plan.
No epi, no drugs, no drips, no injections, no episotomy. It was an au naturel birth.
You very zai leh! In labour still can analyse so much and be so systematic with what you should do! Lol!

Hope you'll be able to continue with part 2 of this story soon! :)

Haha I was really really determined to do the water birth so was very focus on getting it done correctly....

Otherwise, I'll be forced to delivery naturally or worst go for e-Csect...

What's part 2 of my story?
Give birth already then finish mah...

Tats a great experience.. U must have planned it way before to make it a success with all the calmness :)
How much was the hosp bill tat time for water birth?

Tats a great experience.. U must have planned it way before to make it a success with all the calmness :)
Hehe Yeah u are right..
Done my researched for years...
Read Abt it way before I got married..
All the water birth stories are so inspiring... And I have not come across any non-inspiring stories...

Looking back, I'm amazed at myself how I got everything under control and stay focus... Maybe I didn't want all the years of "hard work" wasted...

The only regret I had was not knowing that I'm supposed to push baby out slowly to get my vagina soften and stretched so that I don't tear so much...

I stayed for 4d3n (extra night cos baby had jaundice) in a single room and the bill was $6k... Excluding doula fees of $2.5k...

Hehe Yeah u are right..
Done my researched for years...
Read Abt it way before I got married..
All the water birth stories are so inspiring... And I have not come across any non-inspiring stories...

Looking back, I'm amazed at myself how I got everything under control and stay focus... Maybe I didn't want all the years of "hard work" wasted...

The only regret I had was not knowing that I'm supposed to push baby out slowly to get my vagina soften and stretched so that I don't tear so much...

I stayed for 4d3n (extra night cos baby had jaundice) in a single room and the bill was $6k... Excluding doula fees of $2.5k...

Wow u cld still sleep thru ur contractions. My no.1 was overdue, induced n ended in emergency c sect.

How long overdue were u?

My Gynae told me overdue also never mind, no need to induce... She will just let me be overdue for a wk... Cos she said induce not easy and scared I won't end up with water birth...

My contractions started exactly on EDD.. Haha and baby came out 40wk1d...

I think I had too much physical activities in the day from 12pm to 4am the next day and the laughing gas has helped me to fall asleep... Was really too tired that my body just went into resting mode... I was so glad that I was able to sleep cos really need the energy to push later...

Agree. Long waiting time is a pain. Anyone has experience with not so scary waiting time yet good Gynea to recommend from TMC? Haha

Wow...impressive story. Thank you for sharing. I didn't know that Singapore also have water birth service.

Is NUH the only hospital providing this service?

Overall is it much more expensive to go for water birth? I was wondering what if you cannot take the pain halfway then how huh?

I am quite keen to know more abt water birth as I prefer lesser medication as much as possible l.

Overall is it much more expensive to go for water birth? I was wondering what if you cannot take the pain halfway then how huh?

I am quite keen to know more abt water birth as I prefer lesser medication as much as possible l.

The only extra charges are :
Cost of doula ~$2.5k
Cost of tub ~$300
On top of normal delivery charges.

They will give u the laughing gas to manage the pain...

If really can't take the pain & decided to take epi then have to deliver on the bed... So u really have to be mentally prepared if u wanna do water birth... But the doula is there to help u pull thru all the way... :)

I didn't take the laughing gas after I was in the water... Cos I feel the pain is manageable...

Wow Zaclin, salute! I always heard that how much pain during contraction can be yet you can still remain so calm and go according to your plan.

Once again, thanks for sharing. Will find out more from NUH.

The only extra charges are :
Cost of doula ~$2.5k
Cost of tub ~$300
On top of normal delivery charges.

They will give u the laughing gas to manage the pain...

If really can't take the pain & decided to take epi then have to deliver on the bed... So u really have to be mentally prepared if u wanna do water birth... But the doula is there to help u pull thru all the way... :)

I didn't take the laughing gas after I was in the water... Cos I feel the pain is manageable...

Thanks for sharing this positive story!! Is the doula from nuh from ema care? Which gynae did you work with for your water birth?

Thanks for sharing this positive story!! Is the doula from nuh from ema care? Which gynae did you work with for your water birth?

Hi.
Yes my doula is from Emmacare.

My Gynae was Prof Mary Rauff then but she doesn't take in new patients now.

Hi mummies,

Here's my birth story.

12 Aug:

13 Aug:

Hi

Thank you for sharing your story.I am planning for water birth. I havent looked for a gynae from NUH cos i was just thinking of using the midwife instead. They have the Emma team. How much did you pay? Including hospital charges.

Back