Formula milk or breast feeding better?

Jamie15

Hello all mummies, I heard different school of thoughts. Which one is better for our baby? If breast feeding, is there a recommended months or years?

To be honest, I don't think there's really a right choice. Of course, many mummies prefer Breast Feeding because of the perks that it brings, not only to the baby but also to the mother. Unless no choice, Formula provided the same amount of nutrients as Breast Milk as well. However, bear in mind that the only difference is that Breast Milk contains antibodies that Formula milk doesn't.

Also, if you are Breast Feeding, you can continue for as long as you want. There's no guidelines/benchmark etc. Some mummies have to stop because they have to work or because it's too burdenful to them. But whatever it is, it's mummy's own call.

Im exclusively breastfeeding my beloved baby, and have read online that it is recommended to breastfeed until 6months, but it really is your call. Breastfeeding is a full time job and it can be very taxing, especially if your baby is latching and not drinking pumped milk from the bottle. As the milk is thinner and easily digested, babies need more frequent nursing sessions than formula-fed babies.

Personally, the most rewarding part about breastfeeding isnt entirely about the natural goodness of breastmilk (it of course is a bonus!), it is the quality time i get to spend with my baby every day. When she nurses, she always gives me eye contact. This forces me to put down everything else and just give her my full attention for that 15minutes. That, is priceless.

i breastfeed my gal exclusively for 18mths. I actually wanted 2 stop when she was 4 mths as I was back at work n was in meetings most of time, and couldnt leave d meeting 2 express my milk. It was really taxing, waking up in d middle of d night 2 express, timing my schedule, etc.

However, when my gal went 4 an emergency op, PD n d surgeon told me dat I shld continue 2 breastfeed my gal till she recovers. N so I persevere on.

After a while, I just got so used 2 expressing my milk dat when hubby said dat mayb I shld stop... I was feeling a bit sad....

My gal is now on formula n hubby is lamenting dat I shouldnt have stop expressing as he realized his gal drinks quite a lot n feels d pain on his wallet :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have frens who didnt breastfeed their children as they find it a hassle n not able 2 get enough rest.

There is really no better choice. It's just a matter of what do you wan?

i breastfeed my gal exclusively for 18mths. I actually wanted 2 stop when she was 4 mths as I was back at work n was in meetings most of time, and couldnt leave d meeting 2 express my milk. It was really taxing, waking up in d middle of d night 2 express, timing my schedule, etc.

However, when my gal went 4 an emergency op, PD n d surgeon told me dat I shld continue 2 breastfeed my gal till she recovers. N so I persevere on.

After a while, I just got so used 2 expressing my milk dat when hubby said dat mayb I shld stop... I was feeling a bit sad....

My gal is now on formula n hubby is lamenting dat I shouldnt have stop expressing as he realized his gal drinks quite a lot n feels d pain on his wallet :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have frens who didnt breastfeed their children as they find it a hassle n not able 2 get enough rest.

Wow, 18months! :)) How does their breastmilk comsumption decrease from 5-6months after they start solid food?

Hi Kym,

Actually 4 my gal her intake of milk didn't decrease after she started solid food. It remains quite constant. N we only recently stop giving her nite feed. She still has her milk b4 she sleeps n a last one @ midnight. But when she cries 4 milk @ 3am we told her we have run out of milk. We noticed dat she is drinking more now asking 4 milk after she finished her meals or after she drank 180ml she wild ask 4 more....

Hi Rabbit,

During my maternity, I latched her fully but starts 2 wean off d nite latch b4 I was going back 2 wk Hubby felt dat DD was latching more 4 comfort n not cos of hunger. He doesn't wan her 2 b nursing 4 comfort. I didn't latch her after I went back 2 wk cos of d timing. As I wold get engorgement issue quite easily I needed my "milking" schedule 2 b quite fixed. Luckily 4 me my supply was gd so it took me longer 2 totally stop expressing

haha u have already saved him 18 mths of FM costs... :D But that said, follow on formula is cheaper than the stage 1 formula =X

Im exclusively breastfeeding my beloved baby, and have read online that it is recommended to breastfeed until 6months, but it really is your call. Breastfeeding is a full time job and it can be very taxing, especially if your baby is latching and not drinking pumped milk from the bottle. As the milk is thinner and easily digested, babies need more frequent nursing sessions than formula-fed babies.

Personally, the most rewarding part about breastfeeding isnt entirely about the natural goodness of breastmilk (it of course is a bonus!), it is the quality time i get to spend with my baby every day. When she nurses, she always gives me eye contact. This forces me to put down everything else and just give her my full attention for that 15minutes. That, is priceless.
I too give LO the eye contact when i feed her the EBM :) Sweet :p

Just want to correct something written on here ..... formula DOES NOT provide all the nutrients of breast milk. It is worth trying to breast feed, even if just a little bit. It is much much much better for your baby. There is no comparison.

Just to share my thoughts...
For me i have seen the wonders of breastmilk fed baby and formula fed baby..
Bm kid tend to fall sick less easily, and even if they do, they recover alot faster.
I too wanted to save $ on buying formula, so i die die pump & pump for at least 18mths for my 2 elder kids. Now even more motivated to feed my LO at least 2 yrs, at d same time to supplement bm to my elder kid also. But now after 2yrs old, i also give formula, and they are still doing great =] only thing is pocket got bigger hole. Hehe.

Theres nothing wrong in giving infants formula milk, some parents jus dont feel comfy in bf-ing/pumping. (And to give breastmilk/breastfeed requires alot of motivation and family/friends support)
Of cos there r pros and cons (other den nutriental values), like fm slightly heaty and thick, or some baby not suitable may get constipation, faster to make den to warm up, when bring bb out dont need bother about latching/pumping/engorgement, etc. at the end of the day, parents only want to give the best of their ability to their kid :) give what you deem d best, and not wat others able to give their kids.

When kids are older, say after 1.5-2yr old, they can also take fresh milk instead of formula milk. Den again how to compare whats good and whats not? :)

Back