Induced labour

Fayna koh

Hi everyone,
Does anyone go through induce labour? How it is like and what is that ? Went check up today and my doctor told me that next week @ week39+3days he'll help me induce labour.

My #1 was induced on 40th week, gynae say baby probably had reached max weight gain (baby gained 400g in the last week and came out 3.2kg ) so he suggest me to induce on the following day. I was already 2cm dilated without knowing. Induction was just iv drip helps to onset labour and my gynae break my waterbag before he went off . I later ask for epidural cos the pain was already unbearable with 4cm dilated only.

My #2 was natural without epidural I tolerated the birth pain with only 2 thigh jab. Still I find the pain was more bearable than my 1st before I took epidural. So can your imagine how strong the effect of induction drip on me. But this based on my own experience, different people may have different effect. Though the guy who came to administer the epidural did mention induction case should have taken it from start, don't wait so long and go through unnecessary pain.

I heard that induced birth is far more painful than natural birth. I had induced birth for my #1 and i'm glad I had epidural!

Anyway what's the reason to induce first? The reason is impt. Bear in mind any fail induction would means emergency C-section. So consider carefully.
Tell you something, after I discuss with my gynae on my 2nd birth plan to go all natural. I went on to ask my gynae if the chance was high for me to go into natural labour for my #1 i hadn't taken up his suggestion to go induction. haha..
His reply is YES. Then why did he still ask me go induce, so pain and wasted my $$ on epi.

Agree, if the baby is not overdue or not too big then y need to induce? Is it that yr gynae don't want his schedule to get messed up?

Why your doc so specifically ask u to induce on 39w3d? Did you ask why need to induce? Any medical concern for both u and baby? Agreed that reason is very important. Not point to force baby come out if he/she is not ready.

Donno true or not... heard some $ face gynae would happily suggest to induce on friday or weekend, so that can charge more delivery and attendance fee... And in case become emergency c-cest can be even more....

Well regardless induce or not there is always a chance for emergency c-sect if try for normal. But why pay more to induce if doesn't need?

First of all u need to know why u need to induce. They will insert a tablet to make ur water broke.
I induce at 38 weeks Co's I was quite sick w a lot of phlegm n gynae say might affect bb. But due to this I pay a lot Co's pelvic not opening bb head stuck so I inject epidural twice Co's natural then emerg c sect. Thus if not required then suggest go for normal. N pay lesser. Mine is tmc.

Like all the other mommies had pointed out, the reason to be induced is important. My first one was induced because I was leaking and suspected strep B. So from a doctor's point of view, since baby is already full term, should induce to be 100% safe. Another time, I lost weight - this could be loss of mother's weight, or loss in water - either way, once the baby is out it is safer. Another friend, she was induced after a routine scan at 39w because. The doctor didn't say way but just kept asking her to induce that afternoon... Finally, the baby came out with cord around his neck - which the doctor suspected but didn't wanna frighten the parents.

Finally, if really go for induce... be prepared that indeed, the contractions will come hard and fast. Opt for epidural from the start. It can also take quite long, depending on how ready you are and how well you respond to the medication. Another reason why you need the epidural - so that you can relax and watch TV while time passes, instead of being in pain (which would be tiring). At one point if you become too tired or too painful, you become the prime candidate for emergency C-section!! So, just opt for epidural from the start and relax away... when everything is ready, just push!

I was at 39w when my routine check at the doctor revealed that my bb was inactive and told me that I had to be induced immediately tt afternoon. Thank goodness we got the bb out in time

Trust your gut feel when you notice that the baby's activity has slowed down/more inactive.

Back