Mommies, how do you not pine for #2?

bunnymuimui

Hi mommies who stop at #1, by choice or not, I need your help to knock some sense into me.

I have a little one almost 4yo. She's a godsend. We received the gift of her through IVF after 7 years of marriage. Now I find myself struggling with IVF and miscarriages to give her a sibling.

The recent m/c was especially tough as we lost #2 at 13 weeks. Till today, my loss still haunts me. Especially this past weekend where 4 friends/colleagues are giving birth. If my frostie had survived, I would be preparing for delivery soon. I function normally. I celebrate mother's day with both mothers with something simple and out-of the-routine dinners. I accompanied DH shopping at Robinsons' and he bought me a nice work dress. However, its a struggle to continue with a balanced emotional well being.

I looked through old photos and found some writing on the desktop. For 2 months after the m/c, I would wake up in the middle of the night and cry. One night, I wrote to ease the pain:

---

We had a little secret that we were so eagerly waiting to share. We were expecting a little one who would arrive on our tenth year wedding anniversary. Alas it was not to be. A few days shy of crossing the first trimester, the sonographer told me: "This is your baby's body, the arms and legs and head. There is where the heart would be. I am not seeing any heartbeat." And so it was, so close and yet not meant to be. For the second time in my life, those dreaded words rang in my ears. My heart ached for our baby who had already meant so much to us.

The fact was re-established with our regular doctor, whom we are thankful for his kind words and sound advice. Rationale kicked in and we scheduled a D&E the very same day. We wanted to move on. Thankfully, there was no physical discomfort.

There is the constant thought of "Was it something I ate? Was it something I said? Was it something I thought?" Rationale prevailed. If our baby wasn't fit enough to survive in the safety of a mother's womb, this was nature's way of selection.

---

Although I have my LO, something still feels empty inside of me. That gnawing guilt that I cant give her a sibling. The fear of her being alone during her darkest moments when we grow old. What can I do to make myself think otherwise, that one is enough? How do I overcome this negative feeling about this reproductively-challenged situation and cannot give her a sibling?

To the mommies who have been through this and decided to stop your pursuit for #2, how did you do it? Was it a firm commitment due to circumstances, or did you let time take its toll? Do you still cry at the loss, the gap, the guilt? Or does it hurt less over time?

To the mommies who believe #1 is good enough, do the children never ask for a sibling? What drives your conviction?

Truly seeking alternative views to ease myself of my shackled mind...

my belief that a child is a gift from God helps to put my thoughts into place. Giving your daughter a sibling may not necessarily mean she wont be alone during her darkest moments in the future. there's no guarantee that siblings will get along n be there for one another. sometimes things just cannot be forced or controlled. there will be pain n anguish but i believe i will channel my time n energy into making everyday with my no 1 count.

Bunnymuimui,
Ur post came @ the right time for me.. I m struggling whether I should even take folic acid, CW, go TCm in prep for FET.. My faith & hope in ivf is gg low although number 1 was fr IVF..

I tried convincing myself tt having 1 simply means undivided love & attention for her.. But it jus doesn't work..

I even tot as far as, when we have to go, who is she gg to turn to, in prep of our funeral (both physically & emotional).. I know someone is gg to say I m mad for tinking tt far but I m a mommy & all I ever wan is the best for my daughter, including not wanting her to b alone & making such decisions when we r gone..

The pain gets sharper by the day as frens ard get preggie w/o knowing, frens ard ask, y muz u wait so long to have #2, frens ard saying I m preggie (coz tummy bloated fr ivf stimulation). I m on the verge of shouting out "it is not tt I don't wan a #2.. I m trying & praying for one too"..

Juz like u, I m a happy mum outside.. But who understand the emotional struggle I have each day? Since the last BFN, I told myself I need plan B - preparing & loving her as if she ll b the only child.. But I juz dunno how to get started on this plan..

I know ppl ll comment tt I m already v blessed.. & indeed I m.. Like u, I juz need some ways to shake me over & stop myself from being unhappy internally, coz the sadness is taking over me by day..

I hope we can hear something from experienced mummies here..

Thank you so much for this thread & a big Hugz to u..

Hi dears,

I do understand the struggles that you are feeling. I myself was blessed with two beautiful boys and yes I thought of how my elder will be when we parents are gone before I have my second kid. So your worry isn't unfounded.

But have faith that you will parent an independent girl who will grow up to fend for herself. In this world, there are much disappointments but as long as your girl is strong she'll be fine. So it's important as a mother to instil such confidence in your girl.

Do not give up hope on having a second child. I have a relative who was childless for many many years and was already in her 40s and she was blessed with a beautiful baby. So there is still hope.

But do not let this hinder you from enjoying your life. Try not to focus too much on whether your IVF will be successful or not but rather enjoy the parenting of your eldest. Maybe the less pinning the more relax you will be and more chances of getting success.

God bless..

hi sisters in gridlock,

Being humans, we always think more is best, right ? After #1, we want #2, after #2, hmm...maybe #3 is nice etc etc. Its perfectly normal. If you get bbs easily, then ok. But for those struggling to get preggy or have to go to ART, then I think you need a plan if it does not work out. Especially, those who been through the ART route will know that it is full of ups and downs, both physically and emotionally.

You can be at any age, but you need to know when you need to stop trying and move on with what you have. From my own experience, I struggled for years to get #1 but now I have 3. How I went through it, is to keep an open mind, just look at what is in front and decide what to do as I cannot predict the future. What I can do is just try my best for the present before the D date(when to stop TTC). You may have a magic number for bbs, some 1, 2, 3 or 4. Some maybe successful and some may not. This is reality. With the m/cs, yes, it is definitely sad, all the crying is normal, cry it out as much as you want but I give myself a time-frame to grieve. After that, it is back to reality, as there are people around you that still needs you. If you have a religion you can always count on it for emotional support. That helped me through all the ups and downs. Then, when you are at peace with yourself, you will know how to walk the road ahead. All other things will fall into place.

Do not worry for tomorrow, what will happen to your kids if they do not have siblings. Believe me, they will know how to manage themselves. I quote from a friend who is an only child as people often ask if she is lonely as an only child. Her reply, is "I do not know what is lonely as I do not have a sibling to begin with. I do not know what difference it will make if I were to have siblings." As long as there is love in the house, it is all that matters ! Don't think too much as Life is short, make the most with those around you.

Bunnymuimui, i don't know if you believe this that life is pre-destined with how many children you will have. Sometimes what we perceive is just not what it is in for us and miss out the other good things that come along. I've an elder kid, was trying years and years for a 2nd child. I had the same guilt, the same desperation that i want to give the elder a sibling. Eventually i did. But my 2nd passed away months after. So if i looked back now, its probably not meant to be to begin with. I am left with a broken piece forever because indeed i've 2 kids now, one in heaven and one on earth.

I also only hv one girl shall we form a support whatsapp gp so that maybe our only girl can be bff.

How about telling yourself that ... with only one child, you can concentrate your full efforts with he/she. Go for better holidays ? Spend more quality times together ? As the saying goes, quality is better than quantity. You should not be so upset with not having a #2, you still have #1. Think about those who cant even have 1.

Cherish your #1. Be satisfied :)
Only when you have convinced yourself, you will be able to convince your child.

Back