Baby isn't drinking milk

prettyburger

Hi everyone. My daughter has recently just turned 4 months old.

For the past 1 week, she hasn't been drinking well. She will be fussing around, getting cranky and cry whenever we feed her. We tried all ways but it's useless. The only time she will drink is in the middle of the night (at times too). She would prefer her pacifier more than her milk now.

Please advise what's wrong. Thank you mummies!

My daughter is now 3 months.
2 days ago, she was also fussing and crying when we feed her and she went for hunger strike for 5 hours. Make us so worried. Then we realised she doesnt like the harder texture of the philip avent number 3 (for 3 months +) teats. We change back to number 2 ( for 2 months +) and she started to drink. Sometimes its the teats problem? Just sharing :)

When my eldest daughter was 3 to 4 months old back then (she is 4 years old now), we also had the same issue - sudden drop in milk consumption. However, not to worry. It is temporary only. Your baby will be back to his normal drinking amount.

Understand it's frustrating, but not to worry if she is happy most of the time, play well, pee and poo well, and gain weight... It's probably just a phase, it could happen at anytime. Baby may be able to tell how much milk is enough and refuse to drink more as opposed to initiate months just keep drinking and drinking. Can check the flow of the teat whether it is too slow. For some babies, it could be because they start to have interest in solid food.

4th month could be the milk strike, time to introduce some plain cereal? Check on the teat, milk flow.
Is the flow to fast/slow? baby got frustrated from sucking?

I experience the same too, my daughter used to not drink milk around that age. I still preferred breastfeeding at that point though compared to powdered milk. What my husband did was that he changed brands and the suction portion of the bottle too. After a while, she got used to it and it became more normal.

Experienced the same with my baby, Pd said it could be due to her teething, hence it was too uncomfortable to drink. She did resume drinking when she got too hungry.

Back