Sleep training baby

jayjayqueenie

hey mummies...my boy is currently 11months. at this moment we dont do anything to get him to sleep independently.

we just let him play till he is tired and he will cry for milk then sleep thereafter.

but sleep deprived parents here are looking for an easy way out. lol !

i understand that some may disagree that it is necessary to do sleep training as what i have searched online.

but nonetheless, hoping to learn from some success stories from here.

will be grateful if u could share.

First of all, playing before sleeping time is not a good idea. In the west, a typical routine would be dinner, play, tidy up, warm bath, reading, sleep. I am not sure what time your son goes to bed, but for someone 11 months old, my personal guide is that he should be in bed by 8pm (fall asleep by 8:30pm). He needs at least 11 hours (to 12hrs) of sleep - so it depends on what time he wakes up. Depending on what is the day routine, and what time he wakes up - when my daughter was 11 months old, her routine was sleep from 7pm to 7am. Everyday!! This means no sleeping in for the parents, although we take turns whether daddy or mommy gets to sleep in on the weekends. Before bedtime, 5pm is dinner, then play or walk, 6pm is bath, then followed by books and a bottle of milk (and then I leave the room). By the time I am done with shower, she would be asleep. Then I go downstairs and prepare dinner, clean, laundry, etc.

Take small steps at a time. Rome was not built in a day. If you change the timing just slightly, he may not notice. And you need to be consistent. At least until the routine is established. Then once in a while you can break the routine and go out for dinner until 10pm. But before that, must make sure he is used to the routine. Good luck!

what's STTN?

also would like to know if it's a good idea if i carry him and walk around at same timing everyday till he falls asleep?

current nightly routine for him is he takes bath at night. then we start co sleep with him so i have to put him on bed after bath.

but he rolls around on bed and play. and everytime he needs company. if he realises we are sleeping and not playing with him, he will cry.

sttn - sleep thru the night. I don't carry my LO and walk arnd. This is very tough on me. I just pat and cuddle her till she is v v drowsy b4 putting her down. I don't put her down when she is sleeping cos she'd be awakened. I feel it's better to put her down when she is about to fall asleep, and then let her fall asleep on her own

not every baby can sleep through the night at 11m.
some can't even do so at 1 year old.
this is what i have found out from my colleagues who are also mothers.
my boy wakes up at night for milk.

sometimes i am very tired and he is still fussing so i carry him in carrier till he gets drowsy.
it is easier for him to get drowsy in carrier or in stroller.
but i worry if this will become a problem for me in the near future.
to be frank, if this is not a problem, i will hope to use carrying as a form of training to train him to sleep at the right time. :p

but if it is a problem then i should be hard working and stick to the recommended regimen. :D

not every baby can sleep through the night at 11m.
some can't even do so at 1 year old.
this is what i have found out from my colleagues who are also mothers.
my boy wakes up at night for milk.

sometimes i am very tired and he is still fussing so i carry him in carrier till he gets drowsy.
it is easier for him to get drowsy in carrier or in stroller.
but i worry if this will become a problem for me in the near future.
to be frank, if this is not a problem, i will hope to use carrying as a form of training to train him to sleep at the right time. :p

but if it is a problem then i should be hard working and stick to the recommended regimen. :D
nv heard of "carrier addiction" before... i think it's ok

nv heard of "carrier addiction" before... i think it's ok

my little one had carrier addiction.. :(
Since birth, she had been carried to sleep... after 6mths or so, we tried to stop doing that, but couldn't..
It was very painful.. we tried to be firm and put her on the cot and let her sleep.. she will cry and cry for a long while..
At one point, she was almost crying for eternity before we decided to stop trying, carry her to sleep..
This continued till she was about 2yrs and then she slowly outgrew it..

So yes, I believe in carrier addiction, but I also believe that they will outgrow it.
Lucky my little is small size and light.. :p

wow hey!
thanks for sharing on the carrier addiction.

latest update for my boy is that we will off the lights at 9pm every night. whole room becomes quiet.

sometimes he fuss a bit. sometimes he gaggle baby language to himself and fell asleep.

the problem we have is very often he need to drink milk and doze off. funny thing is he does not take pacifier, which is also good in a way.

another thing is because he is at infant care. i think infant care also practice a little bit of sleep training.

Back