(2015/05) May 2015 Mummies

@sweetness also delivered? Congratz to u! So fast they checked for jaundice? Mine have to wait for pd appt to check... Hope bb can discharge wit u tmr too :) rest well and 'enjoy the confinement' hehe..
These few days either cloudy or raining during the 'sun tan timing' so hopefully baby cleared of jaundice den dun need chase the sun...

What kind of coconut should we drink? The big green color one or the small sweeter one?
happy08, my mum said young coconuts which are the green ones. white ones also can though not so young, but not those that are left with the hard shells only (which are frequently sold in supermarkets).

I normally get those hard shell coconuts $2.65 from the ntuc.
Some mummies told me it's okay as long as not from the cans with preservatives. I only begin drinking once per week from w35 onwards.

Last edited:

Ya... pushed till the midwife request me to snip snip.. she also buay tahan.. LOL. They wanted me to initiate push cos bb heart rate dropping...now doc say I'm Okie to go home but bb may need to stay for 4 days for Thyroid blood test as I'm a thyroid patient before pregnancy

Ya... pushed till the midwife request me to snip snip.. she also buay tahan.. LOL. They wanted me to initiate push cos bb heart rate dropping...now doc say I'm Okie to go home but bb may need to stay for 4 days for Thyroid blood test as I'm a thyroid patient before pregnancy

@jjmom u were on thyroid medication during preg isit? I wasnt on any med for hyper thyroid, bb was tested also..4 days stay v long leh... :(

@jjmom u were on thyroid medication during preg isit? I wasnt on any med for hyper thyroid, bb was tested also..4 days stay v long leh... :(
Yes yes... was on medication during preg too. But was discharged in Mar as index falls within normal constantly. Did your bb stay for check and test? If yes, How many daY's?

Yes yes... was on medication during preg too. But was discharged in Mar as index falls within normal constantly. Did your bb stay for check and test? If yes, How many daY's?

Are you hyper or hypo? I am hypothyroid during pregnancy and taking med now.. wondering if my bb has to stay longer in hospital too for further blood test check.. 4 days very long leh..

Hi mummies, my breast are engorged and nipples felt so sore from bf my LO. Nurses asked me to pump out after feeding him. But someone told me that if I pump it will create more demand and thus will cause it to be worse. Any advise from experience mummies here?

Hi mummies, my breast are engorged and nipples felt so sore from bf my LO. Nurses asked me to pump out after feeding him. But someone told me that if I pump it will create more demand and thus will cause it to be worse. Any advise from experience mummies here?

I m FTM also. But my gynea told me before I discharged, I need to press the milk out if I engorged. He suggested me to use the hand express. If you don't do so, it will get worst. I got a massage lady to help me to massage my breast so that it reduces engorgement and promote milk flow. The massage seem to help me a lot. Jia you!!

Massage the breast if u know the techniques, else get someone to massage for u. And I think pumping out is a very good advise. .. it will keep u sane, trust me!

I cant turn my body well during the first few days after delivery due to engorged breast and baby not drinking enough. Got husband to buy manual pump day after discharged from hospital and I cldnt thank the pump enough!

After that, u just direct latch baby frequently if u dont wanna to express more.

I cant seem to get the proper latching techniques. Both nips bleed when latch, even wen pump i had watermelon juice coming out!
I aso pump wen engorged as i duno the right way of hand expressing. If done wrong will cause more clogs.
Best is release abit milk b4 latching, so the areola wont be too hard..the rest let ur bb do the job.
I miss latching!! Arrrgghh gotto get help soon, been bottle feeding for last 3 days :(

@jjmom as i delivered in morning they managed to complete all test by the next day wen i discharged too (1 night stay)..

As long ur on medication i think they will wan to thorough test on bb aso...

Bb confirmed stay another 2days. @furbee.. same.. mine only second day NIA already bleed and pain and one of the nips turned blue black. Tried pumping.. not even 1 drip... sob sob

Maybe try and use a hot towel to massage breasts first before latching or pumping?

Omgggg im so fearful of engorgement…

Thanks.. now having thing baby gonna latch on send me chills... not let down mode.. LOL
CONGRATS to all new moms here.
Seeing ur darling bbs latching on and feeding is the best feeling all new moms will have .
U might get a sharp stingy feeling in the first 10 secs before ur milk let down ... In time it will get better .
My youngest is 17yrs old . ... It been a long time but I still misses that feeling at times . Makes me vy vy happy whenever I can help new moms and their bbs latch and nurse successfully.
For some it may not be as easy ... Try and try u must .
Don't give up ... Good luck & best wishes and speedy recovery new mummies.

Today went to Giant and IKEA shopping for 2 hours, now backache :(
Bought BB's formula milk, so many brands really don't know how to choose. End up bought Similac Neosure, because KKH is using Similac brand.

Mother scold me for not doing confinement, nag nag nag..... I wash hair; shower everyday she also nag, I drink coke zero, she lagi nag...

@jjmom , whats NIA? I tmr will try find a LC to help..cannot tahan the pain. I think my nips grew bigger, old breast funnels used make it worse.
@LovesNewBorns 17yrs is long, but soon u can relive tat 'feeling'.. I truely need help! Lol..n lotsa motivation to latch. The pain is tolerable, but before bb put in his mouth, my nips suddenly bleed..like PURPOSELY dont wan him latchon. Haha.

@MTB-2015 , u lagi power seh. I don dare drink coke for all my confinement. Only drank SB coffee, n took lotsa chocolates. Own mum do confinement only nag, if in law help sure different..lol. Tat y i previously #2 confinement went for movie my mom aso bo bian....

@jjmom , whats NIA? I tmr will try find a LC to help..cannot tahan the pain. I think my nips grew bigger, old breast funnels used make it worse.
@LovesNewBorns 17yrs is long, but soon u can relive tat 'feeling'.. I truely need help! Lol..n lotsa motivation to latch. The pain is tolerable, but before bb put in his mouth, my nips suddenly bleed..like PURPOSELY dont wan him latchon. Haha.

@MTB-2015 , u lagi power seh. I don dare drink coke for all my confinement. Only drank SB coffee, n took lotsa chocolates. Own mum do confinement only nag, if in law help sure different..lol. Tat y i previously #2 confinement went for movie my mom aso bo bian....

In most cases, sore or cracked nipples are the result of incorrect positioning or attachment.

Taking care in getting your baby on and off your breast, some simple first-aid treatment and a little time and patience are usually all that is needed to solve the problem. You will find that sore nipples improve quickly once your baby learns how to attach correctly.

Sore nipples
Although it is tempting to put off feeds, this can make things worse. Feeding your baby frequently for shorter periods is better than having fewer but longer feeds. Your baby will be calmer if less hungry and will be gentler on your nipples.

Before feeds:

• Offer a feed before your baby starts crying, when your baby is showing early feeding cues.
  • Make yourself comfortable and relax as much as you can.
  • Massage your breasts gently and apply warmth to help get your milk flowing.
  • Express some milk to soften the areola to lubricate the nipple.
During feeds:

• Offer the less sore side first.
  • Make sure baby is properly positioned at and attached to the breast. For help with this, please call our Breastfeeding Helpline.
  • Try different feeding positions.
If you wish, restrict comfort sucking while nipples are tender. Gently break suction with clean finger inserted in the corner of baby’s mouth before removing baby from the breast.

After feeds:

• Check your nipples for signs of stress, such as red stripes or a squashed look.
  • Express a few drops of milk and smear on the nipple.
  • Leave your bra open for a few minutes until nipples are dry.
  • Keep nipples dry. Change nursing pads frequently. Consider washable nursing pads if disposable ones are chafing.
  • Use breast shells or nipple protector over tender nipples to stop clothes rubbing and allow air to circulate.
Avoid:

• Using anything on your nipples that is drying or may damage your nipple skin (eg soap, shampoo, rough towels).
  • Wearing poorly-fitted bras and plastic-backed nursing pads.
  • Using breast pumps that have strong suction and hurt your nipples.
If the cause of sore nipples is found and fixed, they usually improve quickly. However, if this doesn’t happen, they can develop cracks. Sometimes the crack in the nipple skin can be seen on the nipple itself or where the nipple joins the areola, or the crack can be very fine and hard to see. Breastfeeding with a cracked nipple is often painful and cracked nipples may bleed during breastfeeds.

Please note: Although bleeding looks scary and blood may sometimes show up in your baby’s bowel motions or vomit, it is not harmful to your baby. It is quite safe for her to keep breastfeeding.

Above tips Taken from a nursing site

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/common-concerns–mum/sore-cracked-nipples

Hope you new moms find this helpful . ..good luck . 加油

Last edited:
Thanks! Mine confirm inproper latch. Lol. Gotto pay to meet LC, hope can get appt too. Jus the tot of latching on bleeding n cracked nipples so scary.
Envy & respect mummies so can bf for years!!

If u guys stay in e east side can try to see this massage lady call mdm rokiah. Her shop is at joo chiat. I went to her a few times for breast massage last time and really cleared my engorgement. Too bad she dun do home visits.

http://www.jamumassage.com/

But no need to buy the hot stones frm her hor. My hubby laughed at me for buying a rock which I could pick up by the roadside lolol.

Thanks! Mine confirm inproper latch. Lol. Gotto pay to meet LC, hope can get appt too. Jus the tot of latching on bleeding n cracked nipples so scary.
Envy & respect mummies so can bf for years!!

Many MTBs prepares a lot of things before bb is here .. Bb's rm / bbs stuffs / prams/ cots etc ...!.. Even milk powder!!:( !
One most important thing they NEVER think to prepare is their boobs and Nips .
MOMs-to- be , you have to toughen those nips before your bb is here ; sucking / tugging at them every 2-3 hr 24/7. No wonder you feel sore .
All u MTBs , try doing this while u are in the shower everyday .. Never too early to start . Pull and roll ur nipples between ur thumb and forefinger while soaping during showers. It helps to get them in shape ( esp if you have short or inverted nipples) and ready for bb .
Toughen them up b4 bb comes really helps .
Imagine even tough skin at ur knees / elbows gets sore if you kept rubbing on them too much .. Can't imagine your rarely touched nipples . Ouch !! Yes !!?
DO IT ,!! get them milk jugs ready to serve ur darling Bsby .
Good luck ladies .. It's doable !!

Hi mummies, does anyone knows whether TMC parent craft center provide massage for breast engorgement? Any idea what are the costs like per session? I couldn't find any relevant info. Thanks in adv.

Hi mummies, does anyone knows whether TMC parent craft center provide massage for breast engorgement? Any idea what are the costs like per session? I couldn't find any relevant info. Thanks in adv.
Don't think they have this service ... But I know TMC LC does house calls . Not sure how much $$ tho ....thk Quite ex .
Personally , I've accompanied 2 new moms to see LCs at both TMC & Raffles hospital before .
I felt the LC At Raffles hospital is more knowledgeable and caring with lots of tips to share . The ones at TMC .. So so only.

I am expecting engorgement few days later after my delivery thru c sect. Full body massage can only be done 3-4weeks for c sect. Is there any massage ladies who can help with only clearing the ducts for breast engorgement?

@hippo78 , the LC at tmc teaches u correct way to massage n hand express. They dont do for u.
Later i be gg down to learn latching again! 2yrs back i paid ard $45-60, cant recall exact. Will update u price later lor.

Most massage lady can help with breast massage, u can call urs to check out the price. I doubt will b cheap la, but will be of GREAT help.

I am expecting engorgement few days later after my delivery thru c sect. Full body massage can only be done 3-4weeks for c sect. Is there any massage ladies who can help with only clearing the ducts for breast engorgement?

Hi.. I was on c section also. I got someone to help me to massage my breast to promote my milk flow n reduce engorgement. But she only accept those that stay nearby her house. Pm me if u are interested.

Anybody know how to lactate milk sooner? Any food or herbs or drinks? Bb is growing on appetite but I still hv nothing from nip yet.

@hippo78 , jus went to see lc, consultation from $35++ . They do home visit too, from $128.80 (1hr) ... Did get alot of advice, and showed me different method.

Thanks @furbee ! Wow $128.80 is pricey. Baby latching on is no problem for me , it is just the engorgement part. I remember the last time both breasts feel like stones on the 5th day! Super painful. Cold cabbage doesn't help much.

After the massage by this Malay lady Aunty Su, my breasts became so tender and soft that my son is able to latch on easily. The milk can even "spray" when i pump. hahaha... Only thing is i'm not sure whether she can house visit to do only breast massage, cause i can only do full body massage after 3-4 weeks because of c sect. Her rates are quite reasonable. $35/hr for full body massage but minimum must 2 hrs.

Last edited:
Thanks @furbee ! Wow $128.80 is pricey. Baby latching on is no problem for me , it is just the engorgement part. I remember the last time both breasts feel like stones on the 5th day! Super painful. Cold cabbage doesn't help much.

After the massage by this Malay lady Aunty Su, my breasts became so tender and soft that my son is able to latch on easily. The milk can even "spray" when i pump. hahaha... Only thing is i'm not sure whether she can house visit to do only breast massage, cause i can only do full body massage after 3-4 weeks because of c sect. Her rates are quite reasonable. $35/hr for full body massage but maximum 2 hrs.

Hi hippo78, k you gv me the Malay auntie contact number please.

I never tried other massage ladies before so I cannot make comparison. But I personally feel Aunty Su is good in her strokes and the prices are very reasonable. In 2013 her rates are $30/hr (minimum 2 hrs). Now her rates increase but still affordable.
No need to take up package. Just pay her after every session ends.

Last edited:
I never tried other massage ladies before so I cannot make comparison. But I personally feel Aunty Su is good in her strokes and the prices are very reasonable. In 2013 her rates are $60/hr. Now her rates increase but still affordable.
No need to take up package. Just pay her after every session ends.
Hi hippo, sorry.. is the massage lady rate $35 or $60?

Thanks for all the advices mummies I think mine is also incorrect latching. Am going to see an LC tomo. I heard Sister Kang of MT. A is good. Any other recommendation?

anyone knows first time charge for spectra S1 pump need charge for how long?
Can I charge like new iphone - just charge for 8-10 hours for first charge since it says lithium battery?

It's week 37 now. Baby has been squirming alot and not kicking as much recently. Appetite has not been very good coz I caught some infection from hubby. gave me scratchy throat and makes me cough at night. Also very heaty, nose bleed and gums swollen. Trying to rest, drink coconut water and let it recover by itself....it's been a bad week for me. going to see gynae end of this week. hopefully he sheds some light on whether there is some progression to labour....can't wait to have this baby out and in my arms soon.

$35/hr is REALLY cheap leh. I dun tink can get this price elsewhere :)

I engage the same massage lady from my previous pregnancy. Also around this price. $688 for 10 session. per session about 2 hours.

Use to be cheaper 4 years ago. everything also price increase.....

Congrats to mummies whom delivered in May.

I have delivered mine baby girl on last day of april.

Any one use "Spectra m1 Plus Portable"? is it silent? good to use? Or any recommended pump to use?
My old medela pump is dying on me.

I engage the same massage lady from my previous pregnancy. Also around this price. $688 for 10 session. per session about 2 hours.

Use to be cheaper 4 years ago. everything also price increase.....

Oh i didn't pay package, i paid her after every single visit, and i engage her service for 5 days, i don't have much water retention.. Aunty Su commented I do not need to do like 10 sessions. She actually help me save money, haha...
Two years ago her price is $60 for 2 hrs, now increase to $70, but way cheaper than other massage ladies rate.

Last edited:
Congrats to mummies whom delivered in May.

I have delivered mine baby girl on last day of april.

Any one use "Spectra m1 Plus Portable"? is it silent? good to use? Or any recommended pump to use?
My old medela pump is dying on me.

I bought spectra 9+ but haven't try it yet. The sound is very quite..

anyone knows first time charge for spectra S1 pump need charge for how long?
Can I charge like new iphone - just charge for 8-10 hours for first charge since it says lithium battery?

It's week 37 now. Baby has been squirming alot and not kicking as much recently. Appetite has not been very good coz I caught some infection from hubby. gave me scratchy throat and makes me cough at night. Also very heaty, nose bleed and gums swollen. Trying to rest, drink coconut water and let it recover by itself....it's been a bad week for me. going to see gynae end of this week. hopefully he sheds some light on whether there is some progression to labour....can't wait to have this baby out and in my arms soon.

Don worry.. I having same situation as u
But i went to see normal gp eat fever cough b antibiotic medicine
Din tell my gynae cos this fri got appt
I feel baby keep kicking so i think he is fine
Jiayou!

Heard spectra m1 & 9+ are both good. U can google for more reviews on both. But I read more reviews for S1 & m1, coz maybe previously 9 is not v popular yet. I think there is a new 9s or 9+? Read somewhere that the performance is great also when compared to m1.

I intend to buy either one as my portable pump if I manage to bf successfully. :)

Back