Considering IVF

Hi Ladies,

Can someone share how was your experience when you finally consult your doc to proceed for IVF? Im having an appointment next month, to discuss and proceed for IVF. My question is what if i have signed all documents and start my procedures and finally when doc want to do the transfer they found out im not ovaluating? Does that mean i have fail for the first IVF?

My gynae aso refer me to kkh for ivf but i have not make any appt yet.
thinking after cny den make appt.. in the meantime i going tcm every 2 weeks and eating chinese med everyday

Oh ic.. for me I already when through all checks at NUH but when doc check on my husband we then were advise to go for IVF.. after 3mths of considering now I think I am ready to proceed. So ill be visiting my gynae next mth ..

oh... my hb went for the semen analysis and the result is not gd.. my gynae keep shaking his hand =(
thats y he advise us do ivf. mmmm but i heard that need to jab everyday so kinda scare.. =(

So far I read online about IVF.. waiting for next mth to hear from doc abt the procedures.. my hubby did twice both result was below average.. so doc has advise him to quickly freeze his for my IVf.. since then we have been trying but no sign of me getting pregnant. :(

i aso try for more than a yr le.. den we decide to go c gynae. den the report showe hypospermi n dun dunno wat...
doc jus say low sperm count and weak =(

Hi Ladies,

Can someone share how was your experience when you finally consult your doc to proceed for IVF? Im having an appointment next month, to discuss and proceed for IVF. My question is what if i have signed all documents and start my procedures and finally when doc want to do the transfer they found out im not ovaluating? Does that mean i have fail for the first IVF?

for me im with nuh, called and booked june for slot in aug, then aug 1st consultation with both hb and myself blood test/ivf counselling session/sperm analysis. Started late aug on ivf medications to kick start cycle, then when period comes in sept started on jabs and such. Depending on ur doc, u might be on either short or long protocol for ivf/icsi if due to male factor. Then egg retrieval and embryo transfer done sometime in early oct, by November was successful.

dun worry abt not ovulating for ivf, u will be closely monitored by the doc/nurses on ur cycle, just hv to be very precise on the day u hv ur period, u hv to call them, then from there they will calculate when the time/day u should come for scans or when a certain jab is to be done etc Actually for ivf, we will be given drugs to time ovulation exact for the time of the egg retrieval process (er) and very seldom we hear of cycle aborted due to ovulation already occurred or non ovulation. This might happen only on incidents whereby the self adminstered jab to prevent O is not properly done or somewhere somehow someone made human error in calculation of your cycle dates. But that is so so rare.

But else for ivf it is pretty straight forward. The difference is if that u do a frozen cycle(fet) using embryos from a fresh cycle, u might be asked to do a natural fet, whereby then yes, u will need to hv ovulation then. cos they time your ovulation day to the day they replace the frozen embryo back. But that is when/if u do fet. My case too.. I once experienced a failed natural fet before cos not ovulating..or rather I ovulated late and that bad doc just cancelled the whole cycle leaving me waiting for yet another month. That was not good..so ivf is also abt ur luck with a certain doc/hospital. Advise u if ur age is a factor, dun waste anymore time as our eggs age with us too..quick go find a hospital u and ur hb like ...hope this helps :)

Hi chrisl,
Thanks for sharing.. I am going to consult doc next mth.. my last checkup was last yr.. my husband stored his sperm since last sept. Just that I needed time to be ready for this.. how much u have to pay? Im also doing it at NUH..

this amt is cos my hb not Singaporean but if both u and ur hb r then more gov grants

I c.. can I ask one more question ivf is it painful?

Different people experience different levels of pain. For some, it's just discomfort and bloatedness. For others, it's moderate to severe pain. Mine was quite severe as I have PCOS and hence at higher risk of OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome), in the sense that my ovaries are easily stimulated to produce more eggs. You can take normal panadol to cope with the pain. But if you think further long-term, childbirth is very painful anyway, so what is some pain compared to increasing your chance of having your baby in your arms?

Last edited:
for me when i did overseas without completely sedated it was sooooo painful! But here in sg, i was sooooo happy that it was pain free! The egg retreival was under ga so u will be asleep thruout..but a tad bloated after and cramping like period pain but else nothing compared to childbirth i must agree...then embryo transfer is painfree too for me this time, it is like pap smear but do ask for a smaller speculum as they hv different sizes.

Hi .. i am at day 12 of my jab .. my folicles is still small i left with 3 days with an increase doses for my night jab.. if size does not increase on friday doc have advise to stop and continue later .. im feeling down look like a failure before even the day for egg retrival.. ajyone experienced this?

Hi .. i am at day 12 of my jab .. my folicles is still small i left with 3 days with an increase doses for my night jab.. if size does not increase on friday doc have advise to stop and continue later .. im feeling down look like a failure before even the day for egg retrival.. ajyone experienced this?

I experience it, I have 2 abort cycles n finally the last cycle is a successful n my boy is out last yr jul. Don't give up!!!

Thanks alot.. i have been taking half boiled egg ever since the first cycle stopped. And some supplements.. i hope my second cycle would be a smooth one..

hmm from what I know only gov hospitals give grants ..but you can opt to deduct some $from your medisave acct
Thanks for replying. Was pondering whether to go KKH or TFC Dr Loh.. Any advise? Trying to get as much info on Ivf before proceeding.

Is the success rate higher for couple where wife does not have any issue but HB is diagnosed with low sperm count and poor mobility. Tried for nearly 2yrs but no luck with bfp so far.

Thanks for replying. Was pondering whether to go KKH or TFC Dr Loh.. Any advise? Trying to get as much info on Ivf before proceeding.

Is the success rate higher for couple where wife does not have any issue but HB is diagnosed with low sperm count and poor mobility. Tried for nearly 2yrs but no luck with bfp so far.

Kkh has more gov grant I think

some said dr loh although very experienced...might hv a weird sense of humour..he was previously head of kkivf. But why u opt kkh? for what i know kkh ivf queue is rather long at the moment. Actually nuh is equally good with professor pc wong plus queue is not that long. My hb almost same problem as ur hb while I dun hv problems, we tried years and 3 fresh in other clinics before bfp with nuh..more success using ivf-icsi method. I suggest u go for kkh and nuh ivf talk/seminar and from there see and compare yourself ..go with what u r comfy with..

Thanks ladies for the reply. Really need advise for ivf. Yes Dr Loh really have a weird sense of humour. I was actually visiting Dr Loh due to hb condition but Dr propose ivf after we tried for 1.5 yrs n I was quite upset as I always wanted to Conceive naturally but I guess somethings don't go ur way u want. After a few more failure I resign fate to ivf and wanted to know more before I proceed. This is the first time I have share my thoughts to others. Thanks for being the listening ear.

Thanks ladies for the reply. Really need advise for ivf. Yes Dr Loh really have a weird sense of humour. I was actually visiting Dr Loh due to hb condition but Dr propose ivf after we tried for 1.5 yrs n I was quite upset as I always wanted to Conceive naturally but I guess somethings don't go ur way u want. After a few more failure I resign fate to ivf and wanted to know more before I proceed. This is the first time I have share my thoughts to others. Thanks for being the listening ear.
I have the same prob. I started my cycle in march but have to stop. My follicles were small cannot proceed for retrieval.. now i have started my second cycle tomorrow is my first scan.. hope i have better result compared to before.. which hospital u went to? Im at NUH.

I have the same prob. I started my cycle in march but have to stop. My follicles were small cannot proceed for retrieval.. now i have started my second cycle tomorrow is my first scan.. hope i have better result compared to before.. which hospital u went to? Im at NUH.

Does ur body have any conceiving issue? Most probably shd be going to KKH. Getting my first appt soon. Gd luck. =)

I have the same issue as u. Abort 2 cycles 3rd cycle finally success after add on another type of medicine

Does ur body have any conceiving issue? Most probably shd be going to KKH. Getting my first appt soon. Gd luck. =)
My hb.. for me irregular menses.. during my normal checkups at clinics doc did not pass me any medicine when through all checks finally when they call the husband .. the doc has not other ways to help except Ivf..

I have the same issue as u. Abort 2 cycles 3rd cycle finally success after add on another type of medicine
Now my 2nd cycle im not taking the same medicine as the firat one.. before is gonal f and one.more cant remember the name.. now doc gave me pergoveris .. painful when jab.. n giddy after jab..

Can someone give a quick summary of the ivf procedure? Read that we have to keep going back to the hospital and for 1 of the procedure need to rest at hm for 2 weeks?

Can someone give a quick summary of the ivf procedure? Read that we have to keep going back to the hospital and for 1 of the procedure need to rest at hm for 2 weeks?

Based on my experience with KKH...on short protocol ...

Called KKIVF on your cycle day 2 or 3 once your menses arrived with full flow ~ full red... Not spotting not seeing brownish discharge ..

Once scan done on CD 2 or 3, you will see your doc to proceed with stimulation process which can last 10 to 12 or 14 days... In between those days, frequent visits for scanning and doc reviews will be done to see how is your lining and follicles growth.

Once okay, you will be given trigger shot. You will rest one day with no injections. On the next day you go for Egg retrieval Aka ER. Hospitalisation leave of 19 days will be given till your final HCG blood test. You can don't fully utilized the whole HL.

After ER, 2 more days will be coming back for Egg Transfer aka ET. This is when you transfer a day 2 embryo. Once done, you will be on 2ww ..till HCG blood test.

Based on my experience with KKH...on short protocol ...

Called KKIVF on your cycle day 2 or 3 once your menses arrived with full flow ~ full red... Not spotting not seeing brownish discharge ..

Once scan done on CD 2 or 3, you will see your doc to proceed with stimulation process which can last 10 to 12 or 14 days... In between those days, frequent visits for scanning and doc reviews will be done to see how is your lining and follicles growth.

Once okay, you will be given trigger shot. You will rest one day with no injections. On the next day you go for Egg retrieval Aka ER. Hospitalisation leave of 19 days will be given till your final HCG blood test. You can don't fully utilized the whole HL.

After ER, 2 more days will be coming back for Egg Transfer aka ET. This is when you transfer a day 2 embryo. Once done, you will be on 2ww ..till HCG blood test.

Thanks for the reply. So the whole procedure takes ard 1 mth?
Actually I m doubtful on the HL as my work don't allow such long leave.
Can we go back to work after all the necessary tests n work?

What i did before i started my IVF i attended a seminar conducted for those considering IVf. Its very useful for us to know more.. NUH has that seminar not sure if other hospital has.. yes u can work cuz theres one lady actually went back to work for the days she get HL..

During the 2 weeks there will be medicine for u to insert below n u need to bed rest at least half an hour to an hour to hold on to the embryo. The medicine is so call 'an tai' medicine. That's why there's a 2 weeks of HL. Some ppl whose body are weak so if they go back to work even if they are preg they will have the tendency to miscarriage.

Short protocol takes a month. If you on long protocol, that will be even longer. I agreed with Snow19 on the troublesome of the inserts which according to mine.. you need to do it three times a day ~ Morning, Afternoon and Midnite. During these 2ww, you see whether you can take at least a week for the embryo implantation to complete before you proceed with your work... Good if you can work from home during this 2ww, if not, you can try this approach. Nevertheless, there are ladies who go back to work on the next day after ET.

You know your body the best... Some do have the issues of a weak womb which can cause bleeding to the extent of miscarriage.

Do whatever you comfortable ok.

Thanks ladies for the valuable advise. Quite in a dilemma between the 2 weeks HL n work but no doubt the 2ww is very impt

We try so hard just to conceive so why not take a break n rest at home while waiting for the blood test

Short protocol takes a month. If you on long protocol, that will be even longer. I agreed with Snow19 on the troublesome of the inserts which according to mine.. you need to do it three times a day ~ Morning, Afternoon and Midnite. During these 2ww, you see whether you can take at least a week for the embryo implantation to complete before you proceed with your work... Good if you can work from home during this 2ww, if not, you can try this approach. Nevertheless, there are ladies who go back to work on the next day after ET.

You know your body the best... Some do have the issues of a weak womb which can cause bleeding to the extent of miscarriage.

Do whatever you comfortable ok.

Did u have consultation with Dr Khong Chit Chong at KKH?

During the 2 weeks there will be medicine for u to insert below n u need to bed rest at least half an hour to an hour to hold on to the embryo. The medicine is so call 'an tai' medicine. That's why there's a 2 weeks of HL. Some ppl whose body are weak so if they go back to work even if they are preg they will have the tendency to miscarriage.

Insert below as in directly into the vignal?

Did u have consultation with Dr Khong Chit Chong at KKH?

Hi gal, nope I'm not. I'm under Dr Matthew Lau. Hmmm, you are under Dr Khong?

Yes. Inserts as in medication into the virginal with one index finger deep. Sorry for sounding a bit gross here.

Hi gal, nope I'm not. I'm under Dr Matthew Lau. Hmmm, you are under Dr Khong?

Yes. Inserts as in medication into the virginal with one index finger deep. Sorry for sounding a bit gross here.

I having my lst consultation with Dr Khong on 11/5 and found that there were mix reviews on him online so thinking whether to go back to TFC Dr Loh but TFC only have medisave subsidies.

Is like inserting a tampon I guess haha

I having my lst consultation with Dr Khong on 11/5 and found that there were mix reviews on him online so thinking whether to go back to TFC Dr Loh but TFC only have medisave subsidies.

Is like inserting a tampon I guess haha

Kkh has gov grant as well as Medisave subsidies. U can try gov. If kkh u can look for doc tan heng Hao

During the 1st consultation, you will be advised to do all sorts of tests... if ivf is for you... go for counselling, watch video and sign some documents.

Back