What to expect on first appointment?

TTCJT

Hi ladies, I just made an appointment with Dr Tan Kim Teng from KKH. On the day I will be 8 weeks preggy. What will I be expecting on the first appointment? Will she be doing ultrasound for me so that I can be able to see my baby? blood test is a normal routine right?

My first appt is at Thomson so not sure if the procedure is same as KKH . Is your husband accompanying you? They arrange for hubby and me to took a blood test. There is also urine test so remember to drink up. Other then it's the ultra scan (yeah~) and doc will ask health q. If you have any q , it's your chance to ask many q too. Hope this helps!

My first appt is at Thomson so not sure if the procedure is same as KKH . Is your husband accompanying you? They arrange for hubby and me to took a blood test. There is also urine test so remember to drink up. Other then it's the ultra scan (yeah~) and doc will ask health q. If you have any q , it's your chance to ask many q too. Hope this helps!
Hey jellyfish thanks for your help again! You are always here to clear my doubts! Haha. Yup hubby and my mummy will be going with me. I Dk if they works the same. Hopefully they do cause I'm so eager to see the scan of my baby! Haha! Anyway do we need to fast because of the blood test? What are the questions that we usually need to ask? I'm so blur! First time mum. Hehe

No need to fast for blood test for me. You can ask any question you have doubts on!

What I can think of so far;

What symptoms should you look out for? Tell doc your current symptoms and ask if is it normal? ( for eg, I vomit for nth times / this is how I am feeling/ I feel this pain/ I see this blue vein on my body etc)

What kind of test should you be doing?
Oscar? (Wk 11-14)
Pre-eclampsia screening? Fetal anomaly scan? (Wk 20)

Diet? What doc recommend you to eat and not to eat? What supplement doc can recommend?

Exercise ? Any good exercise plan? Maybe if you are hardcore adventurer/ hiker/ marathoner (idk), is it still safe to do?

Will you be traveling on plane etc? Can ask if is it safe to travel at that week of pregnancy?

I ask a lot of bolian q too. For eg, I sleep on a mattress on floor so I ask if is it safe. I love massages so can I still go for massage? Etc

Read up on pregnancy books / website for more details~

I think the most exciting part is hearing the baby heartbeat!

I don't remember any blood test is required for first appt. Only urine test and ultra scan. Then they will prescribe perhaps some folic acids or calcium pills.

No need to fast for blood test for me. You can ask any question you have doubts on!

What I can think of so far;

What symptoms should you look out for? Tell doc your current symptoms and ask if is it normal? ( for eg, I vomit for nth times / this is how I am feeling/ I feel this pain/ I see this blue vein on my body etc)

What kind of test should you be doing?
Oscar? (Wk 11-14)
Pre-eclampsia screening? Fetal anomaly scan? (Wk 20)

Diet? What doc recommend you to eat and not to eat? What supplement doc can recommend?

Exercise ? Any good exercise plan? Maybe if you are hardcore adventurer/ hiker/ marathoner (idk), is it still safe to do?

Will you be traveling on plane etc? Can ask if is it safe to travel at that week of pregnancy?

I ask a lot of bolian q too. For eg, I sleep on a mattress on floor so I ask if is it safe. I love massages so can I still go for massage? Etc

Read up on pregnancy books / website for more details~

I think the most exciting part is hearing the baby heartbeat!

Wow!!!! Jellyfish! Your info is really alot! Thanks so much! Actually currently I only got tender boobs and stomach cramps. Ok I wil do more research and ask her questions! Hehe! Thanks!

I don't remember any blood test is required for first appt. Only urine test and ultra scan. Then they will prescribe perhaps some folic acids or calcium pills.

Hello hippo! Which clinic:hospital you went for first appointment? Actually I'm very scared of needle. Every time sure cry! Haha! I only can't wait for the scan!! Hehe!!

If u are at 8 wk for your 1st appt, they may not do blood test that time. I remember they did blood test because mine was already passed 10wk for my 1st appt. The blood drawn was used for both normal screen (blood type, disease, etc.) and for OSCAR.

Yipe , my first appt was at wk 10 too. Anyway our gynae very chop chop , ten mins or so XD might not have time to ask all q too.

I also look away when they poke the needle, I almost faint when they took five tubes of blood during Oscar >,<

Remember to ask for ultra scan print out! I wanna bring camera and ask can film the baby heartbeat for my next appt XD

Last edited:
If u are at 8 wk for your 1st appt, they may not do blood test that time. I remember they did blood test because mine was already passed 10wk for my 1st appt. The blood drawn was used for both normal screen (blood type, disease, etc.) and for OSCAR.

Hopefully all hospital practice the same. I just hope everytime will be fine. Baby's good health is the most important factor. :)

Hmm I understand it's once a month until you reach third trimester then it's once a week till delivery. If you like the gynae , can sign up package.

Then every month we are able to see our our baby through ultrasound? I think I see someone before that kkh doesn't have package. It's just paid per visit. Maybe I will ask again on 26th may.

Yes, every time u can see your baby from ultrasound scan, remember to ask for the printed photos. Sometimes can be so chop chop until forget one.... Same as if u have questions.. Better list down first.
There is scan before 13wk for OSCAR if u opt for it. Around 20wk is detail scan, around 28wk is growth scan.
From third trimester onwards you will see you gynae every 3wks(for KKH according to my fren), 2wks, maybe every wk towards the last month depends on individual.

Yipe , every month they use ultrasound to check baby form, heartbeat etc. It's really exciting to see the baby on screen XD

I read from various blog at KKH , the doctor and ultrasound is at different building and need to queue twice? Better bring magazines / phone etc to pass time >,<

Yes, every time u can see your baby from ultrasound scan, remember to ask for the printed photos. Sometimes can be so chop chop until forget one.... Same as if u have questions.. Better list down first.
There is scan before 13wk for OSCAR if u opt for it. Around 20wk is detail scan, around 28wk is growth scan.
From third trimester onwards you will see you gynae every 3wks(for KKH according to my fren), 2wks, maybe every wk towards the last month depends on individual.

I think the Oscar is very important right. I better put reminder to ask more photo everytime. If not the doc won't auto give us one right?

Yipe , every month they use ultrasound to check baby form, heartbeat etc. It's really exciting to see the baby on screen XD

I read from various blog at KKH , the doctor and ultrasound is at different building and need to queue twice? Better bring magazines / phone etc to pass time >,<

Oh dear! Like that better bring portable charger too. Haha. Don't know for private also need wait for so long anot. Hate those waiting time :(

Anyway ladies. According to my LMP baby is around 5 weeks now. Today I don't really feel like cramp. Is it normal? :( felt so worried :(

Pats pats don't worry. As long no spotting / bleeding, shd be okay. Got other symptoms ? nausea/ vomiting? Week 5 still early~

Really really so worry. My mummy says no cramps should be better right. Hmm.. I only got tender boobs. No nausea, vomiting, spotting. Does everyone have spotting? No spotting is it a good thing?

Really really so worry. My mummy says no cramps should be better right. Hmm.. I only got tender boobs. No nausea, vomiting, spotting. Does everyone have spotting? No spotting is it a good thing?
Should be ok, still early... MS may slowly come in later maybe after 7-8wks, but some people don't have at all. No spotting (brown/pink/red) is very good and stable. Don't worry!

Should be ok, still early... MS may slowly come in later maybe after 7-8wks, but some people don't have at all. No spotting (brown/pink/red) is very good and stable. Don't worry!

What's MS huh? Hehe psps I Dk. I just hope nothing bad going to happen :( anyway Tmr I will also be going to GP to double confirm my pregnancy first. While waiting for the first Gynae appointment on 26th may

Try to take the bird nest in moderation. I know some mummies wait till 3rd tri then take.. because bird nest is somehow consider cooling, might not be good for baby lungs. I normally take the cooked bird nest instead of the bottled ones twice a month, so i can reduce the rock sugar intake.

Tonic and bird nest are ok but in moderation. People usually take from 2nd trimester when feeling better and stabilized, generally because there was no appetite in 1st trimester, so no point to eat so early if going to puke back..... Haha...
There are a lot of myths when it come to food, but well, in fact a lot of thing can be eaten. Most important is having a balanced diet.

Just to check with you for now, during first trimester whatever tonic we took or bird nest baby won't be absorbing till above 3 months right?

Yipe , first trimester fetus still too small to absorb much nutrition plus some mom suffering from morning sickness. Save the tonics for 2nd trimester onwards.

I am currently 6 weeks and experience very bad bloatedness and cramp/ sharp pain at lower and side abdomen, issit considered ok? other that that no spotting or MS

Back