Does work life balance company really exist?? I was ask to resign because of family commitment :(

iwontbite2

I worked with this company for 3years. Gave birth baby in year 2013, young babies tends to fall sick easily ended up I cleared all my leave entitlement plus took 1-2 days of unpaid with approval in year 2013, same goes to 2014. Because my son born with congenital anomaly n required surgery and doctor scheduled him for surgery in May. I applied leave for this surgery so that I could take care of him. Due to unforeseen circumstances, surgery moved forward to April. Before I go on leave I texted my superior to inform her n see if she allow me to go ahead. She said no worries I can go ahead. I applied 12days of unpaid leave as I do not have enough leave as of now n don't want to take advance leave. Because of this reason, my superior n HR ask me to leave as they cannot accommodate me anymore. They said due to family commitment I won't able to contribute and progress with the company.

I felt very unfortunate to been working in a non work life balance company.

Job hunting begins..hope to found a understanding superior n company that flexible. I know ain't easy because there isn't many company will treat employee kind n grateful to employees output.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Sometimes, it really depends on where you work, and who are you working with. I suppose, at any place, it is fair to assume that there is an end to that stick, and your manager and HR felt that you have passed the end of that stick. They had to let go. Your manager telling you to go ahead actually meant that she understood why you had to go... but of course, your absence would have had an impact on the team, as well as your colleagues. Unfortunately, very few places can accommodate long term frequent absences.

Questions:
1. Have you already used up all your leave allocation? If not, you might want to do so before submitting your resignation.
2. Also, right now who covers the medical bills for your child? If company, you will lose this benefit once you resign.
3. Perhaps while waiting to find a new job, check with your superior if you could work on a part time basis? This could be for training the new person, etc. It could also translate to some income. Some income better than no income, right?

All the best! And wishing your son a speedy recovery from his surgery!

Hi I am sorry to hear about your issue. unfortunately not all companies can accommodate, especially if the company manpower is tight. I am also stressed when I have to go on leave often..

Hope everything goes on smoothly for you.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Sometimes, it really depends on where you work, and who are you working with. I suppose, at any place, it is fair to assume that there is an end to that stick, and your manager and HR felt that you have passed the end of that stick. They had to let go. Your manager telling you to go ahead actually meant that she understood why you had to go... but of course, your absence would have had an impact on the team, as well as your colleagues. Unfortunately, very few places can accommodate long term frequent absences.

Questions:
1. Have you already used up all your leave allocation? If not, you might want to do so before submitting your resignation.
2. Also, right now who covers the medical bills for your child? If company, you will lose this benefit once you resign.
3. Perhaps while waiting to find a new job, check with your superior if you could work on a part time basis? This could be for training the new person, etc. It could also translate to some income. Some income better than no income, right?

All the best! And wishing your son a speedy recovery from his surgery!

As of now have used up all leave entitlement. That's why I applied special leave. My child surgery all covered by medisave, my company insurance only cover myself no family members. I'm working as a admin. I didn't ask for part time basis because my employer didn't talk about the training part. Likely because they want to cut cost and remove my position as there is another admin lady working at different level.

My son is recovering well. Thanks :)
Thanks for reading my post and share your advise. An employer has no obligation to accommodate employee's commitment. I will slowly look for another job maybe a part time or shorter hours. Of coz I want to do some home base work, but doubt I have the capability.

Hi I am sorry to hear about your issue. unfortunately not all companies can accommodate, especially if the company manpower is tight. I am also stressed when I have to go on leave often..

Hope everything goes on smoothly for you.

Things happen for a reason I believe. Even if your leave is approved by superior in b&w, it's never safe. I took leave for family issues, I won't curse my own child to fall sick..Lol (there is a record frm doctor).
But not many employer or colleagues will trust. For me I learnt not to trust colleagues.

Last edited:
As of now have used up all leave entitlement. That's why I applied special leave. My child surgery all covered by medisave, my company insurance only cover myself no family members. I'm working as a admin. I didn't ask for part time basis because my employer didn't talk about the training part. Likely because they want to cut cost and remove my position as there is another admin lady working at different level.

My son is recovering well. Thanks :)
Thanks for reading my post and share your advise. An employer has no obligation to accommodate employee's commitment.

Not that I will always take long leave, long absence from work. This time because my son need to go through a scheduled ops. He is in childcare, and every childcare has the right to close for up to 5.5 days each calendar year on top of PH closure. 6 days of childcare leave, 5.5 days used just because childcare closure. When child sick, most of the time I took leave. 1st year bb went through many vaccination, each time fever. When fever childcare will reject. I don't have the privilege that my spouse will share this commitment. His income is higher. If he lost his job life will be even tougher. Not many ppl will understand because they haven't or may not face such difficulties. I'm not explaining all this to defend myself that I have absolute right to take leave. But in a company worked as a team we try to help each other, our earth is round.. what goes around comes around.

This incident has widen up my view on human. I learnt a good lesson from it.

Sorry to hear about your situation. There is a silver lining in every cloud and I believe everything happens for a reason. Take heart, better days will come and I'm sure with a bit of work you will find an employer who values you.

All local companies boss are one kind...
unless you work in an MNC or gov sectors.they are more flexible cause they are also salaried workers
my ex company is even worse
late 1 min for work have to work bakc half an hour
late 10 min for lunch have ,they will deduct you half day!

All local companies boss are one kind...
unless you work in an MNC or gov sectors.they are more flexible cause they are also salaried workers
my ex company is even worse
late 1 min for work have to work bakc half an hour
late 10 min for lunch have ,they will deduct you half day!

My company is a European company. We always heard European will value work life balance. I do believe that but unfortunately my direct reporting n hr are Asian. If they don't like that employee, then "off you go!". One of my male colleague is the next one to "leave". I feel sad for him..

Sorry to hear about your situation. There is a silver lining in every cloud and I believe everything happens for a reason. Take heart, better days will come and I'm sure with a bit of work you will find an employer who values you.

Thanks for your kind advise. Like you said, everything happens for a reason. I will stay positive. 加油

My company is a European company. We always heard European will value work life balance. I do believe that but unfortunately my direct reporting n hr are Asian. If they don't like that employee, then "off you go!". One of my male colleague is the next one to "leave". I feel sad for him..
i dont think is asian or european or usa. i have worked for all these companies and if the person is not up to expectation after a period of time, they will ask them to leave. but i do agree with the decisions... normally US companies will not be so tolerance, as compared to asian and european company..

i also working in european company and glad that they are now looking at the people they have hired. previously people screw up their jobs, they just ignore and end up the company incurred alot of un-necessary losses. after new mgmt step in, those people screw up, they ask them to leave, the company start picking up... my company do have work life balance though, coz during my interview i told my boss i focus on work life balance. once in a blue moon, do OT i ok, but if every week is too much for me. of course i have to banter with career prospect and tell my boss to give the opportunity to others as i'm more interested in actual living, rather than climbing career ladder

i dont think is asian or european or usa. i have worked for all these companies and if the person is not up to expectation after a period of time, they will ask them to leave. but i do agree with the decisions... normally US companies will not be so tolerance, as compared to asian and european company..

i also working in european company and glad that they are now looking at the people they have hired. previously people screw up their jobs, they just ignore and end up the company incurred alot of un-necessary losses. after new mgmt step in, those people screw up, they ask them to leave, the company start picking up... my company do have work life balance though, coz during my interview i told my boss i focus on work life balance. once in a blue moon, do OT i ok, but if every week is too much for me. of course i have to banter with career prospect and tell my boss to give the opportunity to others as i'm more interested in actual living, rather than climbing career ladder

Is hard for me to explain my stand. Lol.. I doubt I screw up the operation and I worked from home during my leave. Your company employed new management to revive the workplace. But my side is the new management trying to revive also but in a way they ask ppl to resign with no ground. The staff did not misconduct and past appraisal was good, unless the appraiser didn't do their job well. Every company has good and bad. I won't say this current company not good, just that the people manage it in very "unique" way. :)

Is hard for me to explain my stand. Lol.. I doubt I screw up the operation and I worked from home during my leave. Your company employed new management to revive the workplace. But my side is the new management trying to revive also but in a way they ask ppl to resign with no ground. The staff did not misconduct and past appraisal was good, unless the appraiser didn't do their job well. Every company has good and bad. I won't say this current company not good, just that the people manage it in very "unique" way. :)

i guess sometimes company over-hired, that's why new mgmt retrench staffs...
or the person is under boss A, then boss B take over boss A job but they never get along. so boss B will kick all the boss A's royalist out of the company.. i seen that in my current company.. politics...

i guess sometimes company over-hired, that's why new mgmt retrench staffs...
or the person is under boss A, then boss B take over boss A job but they never get along. so boss B will kick all the boss A's royalist out of the company.. i seen that in my current company.. politics...

You are absolutely right which is what happening to me now

I once applied to urgent 2 day child care leave, and my lead emailed me a final warning! It was in Dec. 9 months later, I quited.

Sorry to hear such situation from you. Hmmm maybe you can give it a try to find government job. Government jobs should be good and they will be more flexible when it comes to family commitment.

i would love to have my leave approved be it unpaid or paid leave.

i just need to go on leave without any worries. i dont want to be caught in a dilemma where i get stares at me because i am often on leave due to family commitments :(

I think for paid leave. as long as it's approved you should not have any issue.

D only issue is with unpaid leave. Unpaid leave will affect performance review and/ or AI.

I guess having a cohesive team / dept will also play a part. Cos if team members are willing to help one another, then it should not b an issue.

Not sure why u should get stares for being on leave, be it family commitments or otherwise.

not literally staring.
you just strongly feel that being on leave...is your privilege, not your priority.
and there are some companies...when you go on leave, your colleague has to work overtime to cover you.
maybe during usual days with full manpower in the department, everyone can go home on time.
u know what i mean now?

Now I know wat u mean....

But like I mentioned earlier, if it's annual leave, I dont think u shld bother too much since your colleagues will also take leave too.

I remember when my gal required an urgent surgery n hence I had 2 take urgent leave, my boss was okie with it. Of cos I felt bad about others covering my wk but I did informed my boss dat I m still contactable n will deal wif any issues dat requires my immediate attention.

My staff are aware dat I expect them 2 cover one another when there is a team member going on leave. They must understand that all of them have the same no. of leave. When one covers u this time, d next time u may have 2 cover her.

N since our HR has informed us dat unpaid leave will affect performance bonus n AI calculation, I told my staff dat they need 2 plan their leave carefully. N if they have no choice but must take urgent leave, they cannot b deemed 2 b performing better than those who didnt take no pay leave.

Back