2 years and 3 months old but still have not gone to school yet. Anyone else?

heyhailey

Hi all, i'm curious and wonder if any of you have not sent your child to school yet even when he/she is 2+ years old?

My girl is already 2 yet we still have not enrolled her for any classes due to our busy schedules, limited help from our parents, and we do not have a domestic helper unlike most family with children these days. i get worried that she may not be able to catch up when she eventually goes to school (it's so competitive nowadays :() but at the same time i don't want to rush things since we will be moving house in the next few months too.

Do share if your child of the same age hasnt gone for any classes/childcare yet. And what kind of teaching do you intend to start your child on at this age?

Following, would like to know too. my gal now is 20 mths but not yet enrol any play grp or nursery or childcare .but surrounding most of frens are sending their LO to play group or nursery 18mths to learn things. but for me I think I might consider enrol my gal to those 2 -3 hrs play group on age 3. let see how it's go first, no helper as well . currently my gal now at babysitter place. :)

Hi my girl is 2 yrs going to 2 mths ( 26 mths) now and also hasn't gone for daily playgrp class due to no vacancy in my area . She is currently taken care by her nanny while both of us work.
We too doesn't have a maid and mother on law is working so we very much rely on ourselves and even when we travel, we bring her wherever we go. We send her to once a week music movement class that is near my house .
As for sch,Luckily we got a slot from a childcare ( have plac names forabu sch!) and will be sending her in next month .
My point of view is that now she is absorbing a lot of things now so is best time to send her to sch to learn and also get discipline and follow routine. If we miss the golden period for them to learn chances they pick up later will be maybe slower . Just my point of view, I hav many frens who send their kids as early as 18 mths . To me I think my girl goes to sch now is the right time as she knows to report to me what has happened , and is toilet trained .

Just my point I view regarding what age to go to sch/ class.

Hi my girl is 2 yrs going to 2 mths ( 26 mths) now and also hasn't gone for daily playgrp class due to no vacancy in my area . She is currently taken care by her nanny while both of us work.
We too doesn't have a maid and mother on law is working so we very much rely on ourselves and even when we travel, we bring her wherever we go. We send her to once a week music movement class that is near my house .
As for sch,Luckily we got a slot from a childcare ( have plac names forabu sch!) and will be sending her in next month .
My point of view is that now she is absorbing a lot of things now so is best time to send her to sch to learn and also get discipline and follow routine. If we miss the golden period for them to learn chances they pick up later will be maybe slower . Just my point of view, I hav many frens who send their kids as early as 18 mths . To me I think my girl goes to sch now is the right time as she knows to report to me what has happened , and is toilet trained .

Just my point I view regarding what age to go to sch/ class.
Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

i guess we'll have to be more proactive in finding our girl a weekend activity like a 2-hr class for a start at least. she's not toilet trained yet! Another reason why i'm worrying that she cannot adapt to school when she eventually attend :( she's a fussy eater and all. headache.....

My boy attends cc when he was 25 mths.. i can see great improvement in his speech development and self help skills.. we toilet train him together with the school when he was 30 mth old.. don't worry abt fussy eater.. ur girl is more adaptive than u think..

My boy attends cc when he was 25 mths.. i can see great improvement in his speech development and self help skills.. we toilet train him together with the school when he was 30 mth old.. don't worry abt fussy eater.. ur girl is more adaptive than u think..
thanks for the encouragement poseidon_gal! :) perhaps i'll look for some classes in the CC nearby first

I was very stress when my boy first went to cc.. he was very bad with food.. only can eat porridge at 25 mths..cant chew properly.. refuse to eat anything else except porridge.. but I no choice coz I have #2 liao..so need #1 to go cc..cant handle both.. after struggling for 2 weeks with cc food..and non stop crying for 2 weeks.. he is enjoying himself now.. no problem with any type of food.. very heart pain....keep telling myself it is for his own good.. it helps tat his teachers are really nice and patient with him..keep me updated on his progress

I was very stress when my boy first went to cc.. he was very bad with food.. only can eat porridge at 25 mths..cant chew properly.. refuse to eat anything else except porridge.. but I no choice coz I have #2 liao..so need #1 to go cc..cant handle both.. after struggling for 2 weeks with cc food..and non stop crying for 2 weeks.. he is enjoying himself now.. no problem with any type of food.. very heart pain....keep telling myself it is for his own good.. it helps tat his teachers are really nice and patient with him..keep me updated on his progress
oh my... i'm already feeling heart pain to let my girl go to childcare when we eventually move out to our BTO flat at the end of the year >.< i feel you... true enough, it's for his own good and glad he has adapted and enjoying himself! i even thought about sending my girl to school when she's 3 or 4. a part of me feels that we shouldnt put her into the rat race so early too...

In my point , I would say the teacher in childcare will just try feeding them and if they keep refuse and that's it . We also have to stand in the point of our child, being in a new environment everything affected . Meals in sch and nap.. So we have to let them slowly against to it . So they may loose some weight in the beginning of starting childcare I guess.. :(

I am worrying for my girl too . She looks independent , can tell me what is happening and is toilet trained .. but she sometimes can be naughty too , will refuse alot of things . Guess I will have a tough time on her first few week of starting childcare o_O

hi..my girl is 27 months and also not going to childcare. i don't have maid, i take care 2 girls.
i spend lots of time reading to her, sing songs together, play puzzle & drawing. I am also thinking of putting her to child care when she is at least 3 yo. unless i am back to workforce earlier.

In my point , I would say the teacher in childcare will just try feeding them and if they keep refuse and that's it . We also have to stand in the point of our child, being in a new environment everything affected . Meals in sch and nap.. So we have to let them slowly against to it . So they may loose some weight in the beginning of starting childcare I guess.. :(

I am worrying for my girl too . She looks independent , can tell me what is happening and is toilet trained .. but she sometimes can be naughty too , will refuse alot of things . Guess I will have a tough time on her first few week of starting childcare o_O
awwww.. jiayou to you and your girl! appreciate the tips so i know what to expect when i finally send my girl to school. i think i'd start her off with short weekend playground so that she won't be overwhelmed when she goes to childcare. any recommendations for 2Y 4Mths? i know there are montessori, heguru, shichida kind of teaching but really don't what is good...

hi..my girl is 27 months and also not going to childcare. i don't have maid, i take care 2 girls.
i spend lots of time reading to her, sing songs together, play puzzle & drawing. I am also thinking of putting her to child care when she is at least 3 yo. unless i am back to workforce earlier.
thanks for sharing! :)

unfortunately i am a working mum so i spend really little time with my girl :( i have to work on weekends too.....

Hi Poseidon Gal
How did you cope with your boy crying non-stop for 2 weeks ? My boy just started preschool this week and his cries was uncontrollable. Part of me really want to give up but teacher told me to persist because she said it's a matter of time they will settle down :(

Jadenmummy.. need to be hard hearted lor.. drop him off.. kiss gd bye then walk away.. the longer u hang ard..the more and louder the kid will cry.. even until today on and off my lo will still cry when we drop him off.. heard from his teacher.. his crying last less than 5mins later we left!!!! and yes..it is a matter of time they will settle down..it is a phase all kids need to go through..

thanks for sharing !
he got diarrhea over last weekend so we got to stop and bring him back either Thursday or Friday (as per PD advice) .. after such long break, i guess we have to start 'all-over' again :(
now i'm worried that he fell sick because of all the crying ..

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 215
Started my boy w 2hrs Playgroup when he was 23mo. Just wanted him to have fun and develop his social skills. Dropping him off for 1st few weeks were tough. Thank God... the teachers are good. Fell sick so many times when first started. Got lectured by PD that I should pull him out as their immunity are only developed at age 4. Didn't pull him out as I can see that my boy really enjoyed going to Playgroup. Now, I rely on essential oils to prevent falling sick and build his immunity.

no choice one..go sch sure kena all the virus and germs and get sick easily.. I have a 7 mth at home.. every time kor kor falls sick I very stress.. 99% of the time my #2 will kena.. just need to bite the bullet and persist..

Started my boy w 2hrs Playgroup when he was 23mo. Just wanted him to have fun and develop his social skills. Dropping him off for 1st few weeks were tough. Thank God... the teachers are good. Fell sick so many times when first started. Got lectured by PD that I should pull him out as their immunity are only developed at age 4. Didn't pull him out as I can see that my boy really enjoyed going to Playgroup. Now, I rely on essential oils to prevent falling sick and build his immunity.
Hi mummy lyn0800, what essential oils do you use?

Hi mummies, i would like to check if montessori is not useful for children below 3yo? i went to a montessori school nearby my neighbour in hope to enrol my daughter for weekend 1-2hr programme and was told that it's just playground and not montessori learning and that montessori is not for children under 3yo.

i thought babies as young as 18months can be exposed to such teaching? i personally read up and prefer to find a montessori school to enrol. any feedback?

hi @heyhailey .. i think it depends alot on the kids themselves. some kids are fine when you put them to infant care or childcare when they are 18 months, but some kids will cry and scream when you do so despite they are 2 years old.
personally, i feel for kids that are around 2 years old should only attend courses that allow parents to sit in. Because this would be the best way for kids to learn things that are taught during the activities. Unless the teacher/student ratio is 1:2 or 1:3..
and you can take this opportunity to handle the attachment issue if any ..
if not, it would mostly be just a playgroup for kids below 3 years old.

hope it helps! :D

hi @heyhailey .. i think it depends alot on the kids themselves. some kids are fine when you put them to infant care or childcare when they are 18 months, but some kids will cry and scream when you do so despite they are 2 years old.
personally, i feel for kids that are around 2 years old should only attend courses that allow parents to sit in. Because this would be the best way for kids to learn things that are taught during the activities. Unless the teacher/student ratio is 1:2 or 1:3..
and you can take this opportunity to handle the attachment issue if any ..
if not, it would mostly be just a playgroup for kids below 3 years old.

hope it helps! :D
Thanks Kiernn for clearing up my confusions and doubts! :D my girl do have a bit of attachment issue but she tries not to show... but when it comes to "playground time" she can do without us! she just attended her palyground for the 2nd last weekend, like finally after much procrastination and due to busy schedule.

any kind of teaching methods would you be able to recommend? there are way too many out there!

oooh! hahaha.. that's good man! i've got one friend whose 2yo can't even bring himself to go playground and mix with others. Like, he will play close to the parents, not dare to run to the main area.

ya man! talking about teaching methods.. there are plenty! hahahaha... i've been constantly sourcing around too! I believe alot in learning through play and always talk to them to get the kids involved in the daily life.
currently, my kids are with this nearby enrichment centre called The Tots' Classroom and I'm still loving the program. They encourage parents to be involved, so I really know how's my kid's progress and what to look out at each stage.
Well, afterall I believe that parents are the real examples for the children.
I refrain from putting them to too much courses as I want spend quality time with them, giving them free space to learn.. I've friends who sent kids to chinese enrichment, math enrichment, piano and I personally feel the stress within the child.

How about yourself? Sourcing for any enrichment?

Hi @Kiernn, how old is your child(ren)?

i recently enrolled her for 45-min music playground kind of class for her and she loves it! so saturday she will go to playgroup, which is like a "playground" time according her, and sunday we will take her to Our Music Studio at Tanglin Mall for some music fun. the child has to be accompanied for this, which is good. i really look forward to every weekend to spend time with my daughter.

like many parents, i get worried that she will be lacking behind. but come to think of it, just let nature takes it's course and let her learn at her own pace. i don't deny that i may feel kiasu at times but i didn't end up putting her in school till she's almost 2 and a half YO. Now i just need to source for a good full-day child care in Sengkang because we will be moving to our new BTO flat at the end of this year. it's really hard to get a place for her as she's a dragon baby... ):

My girl will be turning 30 months in 2 weeks time but i still don't intend to enrol her in any classes. Will only be sending her to nursery 2 the year after next year as I need to send n fetch my elder girl who's in P1 this year. She might not learn as much/fast as children who started going CC at 18 mths but she's having lots of time playing and learning from her elder sister. I can see alot of difference between her n her elder sister at the same age. She does want to go to sch as she sees her sister going to sch everyday. I have to keep telling her she's not going to sch yet.

My girl will be turning 30 months in 2 weeks time but i still don't intend to enrol her in any classes. Will only be sending her to nursery 2 the year after next year as I need to send n fetch my elder girl who's in P1 this year. She might not learn as much/fast as children who started going CC at 18 mths but she's having lots of time playing and learning from her elder sister. I can see alot of difference between her n her elder sister at the same age. She does want to go to sch as she sees her sister going to sch everyday. I have to keep telling her she's not going to sch yet.

awww.. it's good that she has elder sis' company! it is good to hear that not all parents are putting their young child in the "rat race" earlier. i am reluctant to put her in child care even although everyone tells me that she will learn faster and her time spent will be more meaningful. the dilemma cant be help as the society is getting more and more competitive. i simply want my daughter to enjoy her childhood.

isn't it tough to handle a second or even third child when the first child would already drain all your energy away..? i really admire mums with more than 1 kid and how they can manage!

Hi heyhailey, sorry... Not being checking in lately. I am using Young Living therapeutic grade essential oil on my 2yo boy.
I oil him every morning before I sent him to his playgroup... So as to build his immune system against cough flu bugs and viruses.
Thank God, I have not been visiting his PD so often anymore. Most importantly, I dont have to wrestle w him to ingest the medicine or worry about side effects from the medicine.

Hey @heyhailey ! Sorry for late reply! Been so busy with home stuff lately that I got no time to login and reply!

Mmmm, I've one that's 4++ and one that's 2 (dragon baby too!!).. beams!

You're right, I do alot of activities at home with them actually. Only bring them to an enrichment centre nearby that focuses alot on fun-based learning and following kids' developmental stages. I've not really put them to music classes though..
how do you like those that you've enrolled your child to?

@lyn0800 may I know what essential oils did you use? any specific brand to recommend?
Thought of trying them.. been hearing alot of good effects for babies..

Hi mummies, found this chat grp. R all of you having kids born in 2013? My gal is born in jan 2013, so she is rabbit bb but acaedamic wise she will b w the dragon bb. I send her to chilcare at ard 2 years too. It is gd for them to learn abt discipline and indepedent. And they r like sponge now, can learn things super fast. I think below 2 prob the benefits aint that great as i think not mch prog at childcare except drink milk, zzz and dance.

Mayie i use bentley bb oil. The ingredients r good. It is organic. Use to sell in guardian but not now. I m getting from i herb now amd it is also mch cheaper. ;)

Have u all bring yr LOs to the beach? Now the elder girl is still having sch holiday so I will bring them to the beach to play with sand if weather is good. They both super like going to water playgound n the beach.

Yes. I brght my gal to beach once a while,let them play w the sand n water, built sand castle. Gd to let them sweat n get dirty so that they dont get so pampered. Kids nowaday too cozy in aircon environment.

Hi mummies, found this chat grp. R all of you having kids born in 2013? My gal is born in jan 2013, so she is rabbit bb but acaedamic wise she will b w the dragon bb. I send her to chilcare at ard 2 years too. It is gd for them to learn abt discipline and indepedent. And they r like sponge now, can learn things super fast. I think below 2 prob the benefits aint that great as i think not mch prog at childcare except drink milk, zzz and dance.

helloo mummy!

my girl is born in feb 2012.. your girl is born before 3 Jan 2013? What's the cut off date as I've a neighbour whose child is 5 Jan 2012, so the nanny was saying that he can enrol the year before for primary school. is that so?

Only children born from Jan 02 2012 to Jan 01 2013 will be in the same cohort (both dates inclusive). Which means he can only go P1 in 2019...not 2018.

Last edited:
Mine is going to be 26 months .. Enrolled her to childcare during her 18th month but end up she fall sick badly and had very bad nightmare. So we withdraw and enrolled her to playgroup during her 23rd month. Now, she adapted well and enjoyed her school day in playgroup. I believed the key was the child age and school environment ... I also agreed that 2 years old was the good time to learn things and explore to social.

For me, I am keeping both my twin boys at home as I have helpers and my mom. I only enroll them into N2 at a nearby church kinder. THey will most likely be the "slowest" in the class when they go in but I am willing to take that risk. :p I prefer to keep them home and it's my own choice to do so until they are 4.. after all.. during my time back in the early 80s, we all only went to school when we were 5! :p

For me, I am keeping both my twin boys at home as I have helpers and my mom. I only enroll them into N2 at a nearby church kinder. THey will most likely be the "slowest" in the class when they go in but I am willing to take that risk. :p I prefer to keep them home and it's my own choice to do so until they are 4.. after all.. during my time back in the early 80s, we all only went to school when we were 5! :p
Good that you have helpers and mom to help look after your twins and keeping them entertained. :)
Sent my boy to playgroup when he is 20mth old as he is so bored at home playing w helper only. 3rd day into playgroup and he fell ill; got scolded by PD and was advised that children's immune system are fully developed only when they are 4yo. But, eventually, didn't withdraw him out from playgroup as he enjoys interacting with his friends in school. But, Thank God, friend introduce me to use essential oils to boost his immune system... so far, being drug free for 1year. ;)

Hi mommies! My son is 2 yo and 10months and I have not sent him to any child care centre yet... It is so tough to get a vacancy for a half day session In our area in Sengkang. Such a dilemma. Now he is supposed to be N1 for his age, but I am thinking of sending him for playgroup first to start and then slowly to N1 when he finally turns 3yo. Any suggestion?

Do u intend to send him to full day chilcare or 3hr nursery? Childcare usually have long waiting list. Some kindergartens already start registration for next year nursery classes. No point sending playgroup now since it's almost half the year gone. There might not be vacancies since they start classes at the beginning of the year.

Either full day or few hours... Im good with any, as long as there's vacancy. Just want to send him as soon as its possible.

Back