Any mummies having back pain after epidural anasthesia during delivery?

Hi,

I had! and I have it for almost a year to 2 to recover. I can't stand or walk too long at inital stage. Think this is one of the side effect of having epidural. Got to bear with it.

hi. I had the pain for 2 months when i had my first kid 5 years ago. I thought it will never go away and was depressed over it. The pain hounds me when i stand, sleep or sit. But it went away one day just like that.

I feel backache when I was in confinement and now, especially when coaxing my boy to sleep as I have to bend my back a little to support him. Wonder if it's my subconscious or is it due to epidural too...

After the delivery of my 1st child (got epidural), I have backache for 3 months, ached when getting in and out of the car. After which , still have backache on and off. Therefore I went for chinese therapy for nearly one and a half year, before my pain went off and healed completely. My second child was a normal delivery with no epidural, so I dont have backache problem

i had epidural for my c-sect, had backache, but i felt it is more due to the fact that i bent over while changing my boy (his diapers, clothes etc) or when i wanted to carry him from his bed..

Once i correct my posture, no more backache.

I'm not too sure, but perhaps the skills of the anaesthetist makes a difference too?

I had epidural to help me with my natural delivery last year. I had backache for only about 2 days about a week after delivery due to poor posture while breastfeeding. The midwife at the hospital reminded me not to slouch and to keep my back straight when breastfeeding, and to keep my spine aligned when lying down to rest on my side, ie no twisting my back. She said it was not true that epi causes backache, only bad posture. I think its also important during the early weeks post delivery to get enough sleep and rest, ie no/minimal housework and plenty of sleep.

Had bad backache after i delivered last year. it was exactly the area where the epidural was adminstered. it wasn't just backache, i had problems moving my legs as well, as in, deep inside my legs, one nerve gone konkers and I have problems controlling the movement of my legs.

Sounds scary.. but it went away after about 4 months... later found out that the gyne had 'problems' finding my epidural space, so maybe the needle didn't go in properly.

Today, more than a year later, whenever i do leg lifts, I still feel tinge of pain at the lower back.. i guess, this may be the long term side effects of epidural..

i still have backache now, and it's been coming to 7 months after i delivered my baby... don't know when it'll go away...

apparently my whole back was bruised the next day after i deliver and only a wk later did the bruise subside....

I had epidural for both sons..

No backache cause i never bend down to pick up the babies or carry heavy stuff.

If we have good posture and keep to the habit than no problem.

Only issue i have is after epidural was applied to me during labour, I vomit alot. I dont feel the urge to push the baby out.

I have backache too, but I believe it's not caused by epidural. I think it's because of my bad posture & always carry baby. I discussed this issue with my yoga coach, she helps to do back massage & teach me some posture to "relax my back muscle". I also try to maintain a good posture whenever I stand, sit, & carry baby. Now my backache is totally gone! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

My first child i had epidural.. backache for more than 1 year.. then can't sit for too long... but my gynae say its not the epi it's my posture.. but hor, my 2nd one is natural without epi.. i have no backache at all.. even now with number 3 in my tummy my back pain only started after week 25.. comparing when i am preggy with my number 2, I had backpain from the very beginning to delivery...

So i think Epi does have an effect on our back.. but think good posture is also an importatnt factor...

I have epi for my both delivery. I have very bad backahe after delivered my second one, but it is gone now.

I do feel backache when I sit on the floor for too long, but I guess this is not becoz of epi but because of posture and aging. My mum has 4 children and last time no epi but she also feel backache when she sit on the floor for too long. Is part of the aging process.

went to do a bit of research, no medical proven that epidural will cause backache

What do you to ease the pain? Was diagnosed with lumbar spondylosis before conceiving. Orthopaedic advised swimming to strengthen muscles for lower back. But, after delivery... really no time to go swimming daily.

Have you all tried Huiji waist tonic? It works well for backache and definitely safe for mummies who breastfeed because there is no alcohol in the tonic! halal too! ;)

Back