Quit Work After Maternity Leave?

Amillia

Hello Mummies,

I don't like my job and was planning to change job before I found out I was pregnant. So I decided to stay on when I found out I was expecting for the $$ and maternity leave.

I'm planning to resign and look for another job after my maternity leave ends. My contract requires me to serve 1 month notice. My question is: after I come back from maternity (4 months), do I have to work for 1 month, then resign, and serve another 1 month notice to avoid paying back my maternity leave? Means in total I must work 2 months?

Or can I tender the 1st day I come back to work?

Any experience mummy can share their experience?

No personal experience.

MOM states: Employee cannot use the maternity benefit period to offset notice of termination. Once an employee leaves employment, her maternity benefits will cease.

Guess that means you can only tender on your first day back at work.

I am surprised by the MOM rule. Perhaps you want to write in to clarify. I had a colleague who tendered on her first day back - from the office point of view..... we covered her work for 4 months, waiting for the day she comes back to work. Instead of coming back to work, she came back to tender, then off-set her annual leave, and asked for early release. So, we ended up covering her work for 7 to 8 months total, while we finally managed to get someone to come in to fill in the vacancy.

As what @frog mentioned, I think it's only nice to go back to office to take over your duties and thank your colleagues who've been covering for you. Can have a talk with your boss about your plans after that.

Technically, you can only tender when you are back in office ie first day back in office and tender.

It's company's discretion whether the company agrees to offset annual leave for the notice period.

@dahliax88 yup, that will be nice. But sadly my boss is not exactly a nice person to start with. He was so reluctant to release me for 4 months maternity and even suggested to me to work from home so that he don't need to hire temp replacement. Our company is very small (4pax only).

Having said that, I could list alot of mean things he'd done but that's not important. I dont find the need to be "nice" but just want to ensure i don't get backfired when i resign (such as no need to pay back my maternity leave). He can be quite scheming so i have to be careful when i resign.

Don't worry, you are not alone. I was in the exact same situation as you when I was pregnant back in 2013.
I took 16 weeks of maternity and tendered my resignation on the first day of my return. My boss is not the kindest boss (owner of the company) as well and I suffered alot during my time in the office being pregnant. She even demoted me and deducted my pay all because I've taken a 2 day mc twice when i was ordered to rest in bed.

On the first day of my return I asked for early release and they are ok to release me. In company's thinking, since i do not have any task on hand, i do not have to serve notice. HR mgr even mention that i shld have let them know earlier so i don;t even need to return to work at all. But like you, i dare not tender during maternity leave as they can just revoke our maternity benefit.

So it's safe to tender your resignation on the first day you return to work. No worries, they will not have any case against you.

Hello @Amillia, had checked with MOM and my ex-company's HR before I tendered in Feb this year. Yes you can tender the day you return from maternity leave with no recourse. Just note that you can't use your maternity leave to off-set notice period.

Back