child suffering with severe constipation, seek for advice

Stephanie2015

My daughter now is 3 and half years old, she went for a minor heart surgery at 11 months old, and start getting constipation after that. At beginning, she used to has a bowel movement every 3 or 4 days, and since last year, the frequency of her bowel movements prolonged to once every 7 or 8 days. We had visited different clinics, taken medication, carefully controlled her daily diet, and also tried many non-mainstream approaches, but unfortunately nothing worked.
I feel so sad to see my daughter suffering from the constipation continuously, because of scary to poo, she developed the 'holding behavior', and refuse to go for a poo until she cannot hold any more....doctor told me that her rectal muscles could already get weak from overstretching...

Is any one has successful experience of dealing with child constipation? could any one provide some advice to me regarding manage the child's constipation at home? really appreciate...

Hi there,
Sorry to hear about your child's issue with constipation.
Does she has enough intake of fluid/water everyday?
Make sure she drinks enough at least, better if more.
I am sure you have included lots of fruits and fibres into her diet. These will definitely help the constipation.

Perhaps you could try to bring her to toilet on daily basis, make it as a routine.
let her sit on the toilet, and you accompany her for 10-15 mins.
Doesn't matter if she does not poo, just encourage her so that she overcomes the phobia of going to toilet or poo.
Try to explain to her that poo poo is good, she should not hold it if she has the urge or be afraid, cos the poo inside her tummy will only make her sick if it stays too long.
Just be patient with her and keep encouraging her.
Applaud her for trying, tell her you guys will try again tomorrow.

Does your PD give any oral medication for the constipation?
I think she may need some to help her to clear the bowel at the moment, cos 7-8 days is too long in my opinion.

Suggest you let your child drink Aloe Vera juice available from Forever Living Product or at Nature's Farm. This helps greatly for constipation..as well as let her have probiotics (available from ntuc unity)

Hello Stephanie. Not sure if you do believe old home remedies, but you may want to consider. Home remedies tend to be milder, cleaner, better-smelling, and have fewer side effects than drugs do. Let me share and hope it will help.

**Take a glass of warm water and dissolve a generous pinch of asafoetida into it. Squeeze the juice of half a lime into this mixture and and drink twice a day.

**Take about half tsp asafoetida in a table spoon and add 3-4 drops of water. Then heat the spoon in which you've put the substance. Don't burn the paste just make it warm. Then wait for 2-3 minutes and see that it's not too hot but bearable to apply. Apply this paste around the belly button of your child and the tie his/her tummy with a cotton cloth. don't tie very hard to suffocate it should be comfortably tied.

**Soak a packet of dry apricots over night, drain off the water but keep it safe as you'll need it. Then in another pint of water, put on the hob too simmer untill half the liquid is half gone. (Should take about 30 minutes) Then drain off the water. (throw this water away) Put the apricots in a blender along with some of the overnight water and blend till its got no lumps in.

**Boil half a cup of water with a pinch of carom seeds/ajwain (from Indian shop/mustafa). Once the color of water changes, let the water cool, strain & reserve it for use.

**Soak raisins in drinking water for about 4 hours and give 2 spoons of water every day until the passing out routine gets to normal. This has been really helpful.

**Apply a little ghee to the opening of the baby’s rectum. This helps the feces to slip out without hurting.

You can apply lemon grass oil on her tummy with yinyang rubbing movement i.e right hand from belly button upwards while left hand from belly button area downwards..this can help the motion moves from intestines towards rectum..taught by a confinement nurse..my girl enjoys this rub movement whenever she has tummyacne..

Dear All, appreciate for all the advice from you, really appreciate for the help.
until today, my gal again 7 days without poo, and she still doesn't show any feeling of bowel movement... I really feel pain and hopeless, don't know what will be the consequence...
Previously our doc had given her Lactulose Syrup, and Ex-Lax(senna) to help her return the regular bowl function, she had bowel movements everyday when taking the medication last time, however her bowel function stopped, and she suffered with constipation again once wean the medicines. We are not sure if shall start the medication again, because worry about the laxative dependence (eg. stimulated peristalsis begins to replace natural peristalsis ). we had used 'enema' to help her clear the bowel before, but that made her became more upset, and refused to poo.
We had carefully controlled her diet, adding more veg & fruits, and also she drinks a lot of water every day, the stool in fact is not hard or dry(even after 7 or 8 days) but the size is big.
In the past, we had kept training her to sit on the potty twice a day (in the morning & evening) but so far don't see any progress, she can sit for 10 or 15 mins but always without any feces to slip out.
though my gal is having constipation, but she still eat, sleep, like a normal child, and she is very active. So far she did not complain any abdomen pain or bloating, everything seems normal though many days without a bowel function... if there is any good experience for dealing with Child constipation pls advice me, I really want to help the gal to end this nightmare.
thanks again...

Hi Stephanie. Maybe you wanted to try my above remedy. Its really working well for my little girl. Like yesterday, she is having constipation the whole day, crying so badly and can't sleep at all. At night I gv her the asafoetida paste and apply around her tummy. At same time I gv her ajwain/carom seeds and asafoetida w lime about 1-2 spoons. Today at 1pm finally she is poo. Thank god.

Dear Sonya & Shanbee,

thank you so much, I will try the remedy you have recommended.
my gal still has no poo till tonight, but she still active without any abnormal symptom, maybe I have to use the enema for her again...its really pain for me.

thank you again

Hi step. Hope she will be well soon. I really can understand, my self just giving my girl the remedy few mins ago and currently she is fine (no screaming no crying in pain). If you wanted to try the asafoetida to drink, please remember do not put too much of it OK.

Does your girl take fresh milk or formula?
My child tried fresh milk, and he had constipation, so I stick to formula he used to drink till date, and we never have any issue with constipation.
Not sure if it's the same case, just to share.

Hi, Stephanie,

I can understand how you feel. My boy is usually good with his bowel (touch wood) but once in a while if he does not poo for more than two days, me and my hubby get really stressed... We will give him prune juice, rub Ru Yi oil, massage his tummy (clockwise around the belly button, pausing to give a little pressing below the belly button). Similar to your girl, he is feeling generally ok and happy and about and when the poo eventually comes out, it is not hard and he was not straining at all. I am not sure if it is psychological as maybe he could feel our stress. Sometime, we can chant a bit too often POO POO...POO POO! ;)

I think if the child is not too bothered or upset, it is not too big a worry... Maybe relax a little and make regular visits, sitting on the potty often but just reading books or chatting casually, without passing the stress to the child and see how it goes.

Hope things get better soon...

My son suffers from chronic constipation as well. Up to 3 days of no pooh, and when it has to come out, the anus bleeds and swollen and he probably has piles, too! So, we have the battled with the sight of blood, the phobia of toileting, and the holding back, etc etc. Every child is different - some pooh every alternate days, but pooh is reasonably soft. Not our case. Anyway, to share what finally worked for us. LACTUS is a readily available stool softener, available in pharmacies and shopping centres, and is safe for babies and pregnant women. We gave him a teaspoon of lactus in the morning and one at night. Every morning, we let him drink one cup of WARM DRINK (milk or milo) before breakfast. After breakfast, we try toileting. And then throughout the day, we encourage drinking of water, eating of fruits (especially papaya, kiwi, and dragon fruit). After dinner, we encourage him to do toileting (if morning doesn't happen).

With the lactus, even if he skips a day, the pooh will not be hard and painful. Once a routine is established, we cut down the lactus to once a day, at night (esp if you want morning pooh!)... and then, once that routine is stabilized, you can cut it out altogether. On the day that he didn't pooh, we would give him a teaspoon of LACTUS that night. Alternatively, we give him 30ml of prune juice (from fridge) + 30ml of hot water (from flask), which makes the drink warm.

In the meantime, you could also give him some probiotics (to help with overall bowel health).

Different person reacts differently to different food intake. But note some of the following:
1. These are some of the foods that are OK to eat when having diarrhea. It helps to stop diarrhea... Apples, bananas, bread, crackers biscuits. So, perhaps smart to avoid for people with chronic constipation!
2. ROUTINE is crucial. It is like training our body and mind.
3. Before you embark on a new routine, make sure you have the next few weeks to follow through.
4. Start slowly. Observe reaction on LACTUS and/or PRUNE JUICE before giving too much. Some might need less, some might need more.
5. LACTUS is a stool softener, but a laxative. NEVER use laxative unless with doctor's advice.

PM me if unclear. Good luck!

My daughter now is 3 and half years old, she went for a minor heart surgery at 11 months old, and start getting constipation after that. At beginning, she used to has a bowel movement every 3 or 4 days, and since last year, the frequency of her bowel movements prolonged to once every 7 or 8 days. We had visited different clinics, taken medication, carefully controlled her daily diet, and also tried many non-mainstream approaches, but unfortunately nothing worked.
I feel so sad to see my daughter suffering from the constipation continuously, because of scary to poo, she developed the 'holding behavior', and refuse to go for a poo until she cannot hold any more....doctor told me that her rectal muscles could already get weak from overstretching...

Is any one has successful experience of dealing with child constipation? could any one provide some advice to me regarding manage the child's constipation at home? really appreciate...

Not sure if you have tried "child tuina ". My daughter also had severe constipation. She is 3.5 yo now and will release bowels about 2-3times in one week. The tuina helps.
Also need to let your daughter run abit or go playground. When they run, their intestine is at work.... Easier to release bowels.

If you do want to use some home remedies to cure your body, you had better to check if somedy has any feedback about that. I have found some websites that seems to be honest and qualified enough to give recommendtaions. Hope to find here some useful information and to share my experience.

My son suffers from chronic constipation as well. Up to 3 days of no pooh, and when it has to come out, the anus bleeds and swollen and he probably has piles, too! So, we have the battled with the sight of blood, the phobia of toileting, and the holding back, etc etc. Every child is different - some pooh every alternate days, but pooh is reasonably soft. Not our case. Anyway, to share what finally worked for us. LACTUS is a readily available stool softener, available in pharmacies and shopping centres, and is safe for babies and pregnant women. We gave him a teaspoon of lactus in the morning and one at night. Every morning, we let him drink one cup of WARM DRINK (milk or milo) before breakfast. After breakfast, we try toileting. And then throughout the day, we encourage drinking of water, eating of fruits (especially papaya, kiwi, and dragon fruit). After dinner, we encourage him to do toileting (if morning doesn't happen).

With the lactus, even if he skips a day, the pooh will not be hard and painful. Once a routine is established, we cut down the lactus to once a day, at night (esp if you want morning pooh!)... and then, once that routine is stabilized, you can cut it out altogether. On the day that he didn't pooh, we would give him a teaspoon of LACTUS that night. Alternatively, we give him 30ml of prune juice (from fridge) + 30ml of hot water (from flask), which makes the drink warm.

In the meantime, you could also give him some probiotics (to help with overall bowel health).

Different person reacts differently to different food intake. But note some of the following:
1. These are some of the foods that are OK to eat when having diarrhea. It helps to stop diarrhea... Apples, bananas, bread, crackers biscuits. So, perhaps smart to avoid for people with chronic constipation!
2. ROUTINE is crucial. It is like training our body and mind.
3. Before you embark on a new routine, make sure you have the next few weeks to follow through.
4. Start slowly. Observe reaction on LACTUS and/or PRUNE JUICE before giving too much. Some might need less, some might need more.
5. LACTUS is a stool softener, but a laxative. NEVER use laxative unless with doctor's advice.

PM me if unclear. Good luck!

HI! I found some useful article about some home remedies methods http://homeremedieshelper.com/herbal-remedies-home-remedies/health-benefits-indian-gooseberry.

Hi mummies, aloe Vera juice from Forever Living is really very good for both children and adults. Got flavours for child too. Easy and tasty to drink.

Oh, btw... if fibre supplements are given, it should be accompanied with lots and lots of water. Else, it could backfire and CAUSE constipation. Natural fibre is still the best. TCM also advocates massaging the tummy area (below naval) in a CLOCKWISE motion daily. It will help with the natural movement of bowel.

It could be due to FM. My boy used to have constipation when he was less than 1 yo. Stool is always hard. After he turned 1yo, we switched to another brand and no problem from then on. Pass motion everyday.

Back