IUI/SO-IUI: Anyone?

Hi veraine, welcome!!

I'm just concerned that you were on clomid for more than 6 cycles. In fact I heard can't be on clomid for more than 6 cycles as your uterus lining will be thinning. Perhaps if you have chance, pl check w your doctor?

I tried clomid once but didn't work for me! Thereafter I was put on SO-IUI full injectables for the first round, while second SO-IUI on Letrozole and injectables. In fact, I felt injectable is better for me as I can see the effect (given that clomid doesn't work for me). I have confident w my gynae so I am not worry about OHSS and can take egg whites to reduce bloatedness.

Yeah, my earlier gynae also told me don't go beyond 6. That's why after the 5th attempt with her with complications, she told me to go for ivf. Opted to go Prof Wong and he said he wants to see my response to IUI first, then he said after IUI (last cycle) that if it fails his plan is to do 2 more cycles cos I responded ok to clomid.

Will bring it up to Dr Anu this Fri during my first scan and see what she says.

Hi H0peful,

The thing was, I never had any adverse reactions while on the jabs. What was different from the 2 cycles was my dosage increased in the last week after my 1st scan. I am not below 35 and not skinny, but I was PCOS for many years. I scanned about 5-6 follies in my last 2 scans, compared to only 3 in my 1st cycle.

I was fine post IUI until about 8 or 9 days after the procedure when I started bloating badly. The stomach became very tight, like a drum, because of the bloat. Then I had trouble peeing even though I was drinking water. The pain became unbearable for me on days 11 and 12; literally crouched on bed and can't move. By then I couldn't walk up straight because the tummy was so stretched and it hurt when I tried to stand straight.

At the height of OHSS, my body looked like a balsamic vinegar bottle on legs chest down. Weight went up 3KG overnight. I couldn't walk at all, even a 70 year old lady walked faster than me. I was really lucky that the water didn't go into my lungs.

As my doc explained it, this happened cos I was PCOS, and had quite a fair bit of hcg from the jabs in my body. At the same time, the body itself is also producing large amounts of hcg due to the pregnancy, so it takes time for the body to adapt. So this manifests itself as OHSS. Oh, my ovaries swelled to 3x the original size, about 7+cm. It goes away on its own v quickly if one is not pregnant, but stays for a few weeks if one is.

Treatment wise, I was given drips to hydrate, followed by albumin drips cos the water simply wasn't going anywhere but the 3rd space. At one pt in the hospital I had 2.6l of water in the body, not passed out. Albumin serum drips made the water come back and after a day my input output levels matched. I did an aspiration similar to an amniocentesis where they poked a needle in me to draw out water. A liter was drawn out.

Like u, I read that Gatorade helped, but my liver enzymes got screwed temporarily causing some panic. I was drinking Gatorade a bottle every 3 days too. So I stopped.

My OHSS finally went off this week, about 3 weeks after I was discharged.

Hope this helps.

Glad you've recovered fr OHSS already :)

PCOS and jabs are so reactive :confused:

I heard can't claim insurance for OHSS? Cos I didn't complete the jabs for prev cycle, I was able to claim for my hospitalization and treatment.

One more thing re stress. It is going to be never ending. When on jabs we stress about whether the jabs are working, post IUI we stress about whether it worked. Not pregnant we stress about when we can start again, or it there something wrong with us, pregnant we stress about one million other things.

I stressed over my business, and I know at the back of my mind I kept thinking about possibilities of MC cos I had it once, and all the possibilities of Down's syndrome and etc due to our age. So I read a lot. And scared myself even further at times.

After 2 episodes of spotting, 2 jabs of progesterone, my doc told me to stop reading as I was putting undue stress on myself. Having to stress over the business is bad enough, for the pregnancy, leave it to the pros to worry for u - that was her underlying message.

So really, find something that u can relax with, go walking, go shopping, go watch movies or eat well or whatever, let the pros and nature do what they are supposed to do. What we can offer is a good oven for the bun to bake.

Chill as much as you can, my fellow IUI buddies.
Thanks for sharing babe. Yea right every little change felt in the body will cause us to worry and start getting stressed over. Whatever it is I just hope I can get my little beanie this time round ... and I finally could jab myself this round of iui hahahaa .. opps. I take coffee as usual but less than half a cup ..just to curb the craving and the jabs r making me sooo tired and sleepy. Those who r cycling this month .. good luck and all the best. Share good news if there r any

Glad you've recovered fr OHSS already :)

PCOS and jabs are so reactive :confused:

I heard can't claim insurance for OHSS? Cos I didn't complete the jabs for prev cycle, I was able to claim for my hospitalization and treatment.

I am really not sure... Submitted my claims and I hope it goes through. Otherwise it will really be a huge hole in the pocket!

h0peful and rainbowbb, i'm cycling this month also ... first scan this Friday

all the best :)

Are both of u on so-iui?

This will be my first iui... not sure how i responded to clomid yet. Hope tmr will see / hear some news frm scan and i am able to proceed directly to iui..

Yeah, my earlier gynae also told me don't go beyond 6. That's why after the 5th attempt with her with complications, she told me to go for ivf. Opted to go Prof Wong and he said he wants to see my response to IUI first, then he said after IUI (last cycle) that if it fails his plan is to do 2 more cycles cos I responded ok to clomid.

Will bring it up to Dr Anu this Fri during my first scan and see what she says.

Huh u went thru iui earlier n still hv to go thru iui with prof wong again?
How u find prof wong?
He is a man with little words unless u ask him questions. Other than that i find him okay..

Good luck for ur scan this fri too!!! :)

Huh u went thru iui earlier n still hv to go thru iui with prof wong again?
How u find prof wong?
He is a man with little words unless u ask him questions. Other than that i find him okay..

Good luck for ur scan this fri too!!! :)

Yeah, my previous IUI failed, so technically this cycle is my second IUI.

My first attempt at SO-IUI with another gynae wasn't completed (no trigger shot) cos follicles responded too well. So hoping I don't have any injections again.

And ya, he's a man of few words. LOL. He gave me this look of disapproval when I told him my history with the other gynae. Otherwise he's quite positive and straight to the point.

Maybe we'll be at the waiting area together on Friday morning (for yr second scan/IUI and my first heh)

I guess I should share what I learnt about OHSS from my doc since I had it. Most people doing iui shouldn't have to worry about OHSS unless they are:

1) PCOS, or
2) below 35 and using injections
3) very slim (think BMI below 18.5)
4) producing lots of eggs
5) high estradiol levels from the injections - responding too well from injections
6) trigger shot of HCG done to release the eggs

OHSS occurs more frequently in IVF patients, due to the large number of eggs they have to produce. When IUI patients get it, it's usually because they are PCOS to start with and are stimulating the ovaries with higher amounts of injections in order to get a response.

If you are on clomid, your risks are super low. In fact you may not get OHSS at all.

Hi does OHSS happened after IUI??
Coz I have PCOS, under 35, will be having my trigger shots tonight. Will be doing my 1st SO-IUI on thur. Kinda worried...

Btw does anyone experienced feeling super hot for a few days before Ur IUI?? These few days I had been feeling hot & perspiring non-stop (when normal days I hardly perspires) Eg: Yest I went to watch movie, i still sweating my way, after the movie I realized outside was having heavy rain. I ask my hub if he feel warm he say no lor...

Coz I have PCOS, under 35, will be having my trigger shots tonight. Will be doing my 1st SO-IUI on thur. Kinda worried...

It seems to happen after IUI, although it happens more in IVf patients either before the harvesting of the eggs or just after the harvest.

I don't have the stats cos doc didn't share with me, so can't be sure if it will happen to you. Bear in mind for me, my jab dosages increased by 50% (100mg to 150mg) after my first scan for about a good 8 or 9 days and my IUI was delayed until day 18.

You can't worry too much at this point, just watch out for bloating signs and sudden weight gain, inability to walk or stand up straight. In moderate cases, difficulty in breathing. The last thing you want to do is to be paranoid about OHSS after IUI is done and that paranoia might work against your conception chances.

I was too paroniod over ohss.. think dat contributed to my failure for 1st so iui. Ohss tend to aggrevate after so iui following trigger shot cos the hcg in body tends to increase.. causing over stimulation of the ovaries etc .. google more on ohss. Plenty of bedrest after iui so that one dont over stimulate ovaries resulting in ohss. I read that elevating lower body helps to keep the fluid in balance apart from having gatorade. Bloating is a common sign of mild ohss but so long no other severe symptoms like retention of fluid or weigh gain it should be fine .. 1 thing to note is not to be too overly concerned with getting ohss.. I was overly concerned and was stressing myself nonstop cos I was bloated frm the jabs and after iui. I too was over reacting to the jabs and had 6 to 7 follicles on each side .. but my jab dosage was reduced cos of the over reaction of my body to the jabs

Btw does anyone experienced feeling super hot for a few days before Ur IUI?? These few days I had been feeling hot & perspiring non-stop (when normal days I hardly perspires) Eg: Yest I went to watch movie, i still sweating my way, after the movie I realized outside was having heavy rain. I ask
my hub if he feel warm he say no lor...

Flushing is a common side effect from the jabs ... I had it more whn I was on puregon as compared to gonal f which im on this cycle

Yeah, my previous IUI failed, so technically this cycle is my second IUI.

My first attempt at SO-IUI with another gynae wasn't completed (no trigger shot) cos follicles responded too well. So hoping I don't have any injections again.

And ya, he's a man of few words. LOL. He gave me this look of disapproval when I told him my history with the other gynae. Otherwise he's quite positive and straight to the point.

Maybe we'll be at the waiting area together on Friday morning (for yr second scan/IUI and my first heh)

Icic. Me first time in everythin so hope to get soms pointers frm the experiences sisters here :)

Hehehhee.. ya he leave us an impression that he has confident..

Hmmm... i oso think so my 2nd scan will b on fri..

U will be in good hands under him.. :)

Btw does anyone experienced feeling super hot for a few days before Ur IUI?? These few days I had been feeling hot & perspiring non-stop (when normal days I hardly perspires) Eg: Yest I went to watch movie, i still sweating my way, after the movie I realized outside was having heavy rain. I ask my hub if he feel warm he say no lor...

I m not schedule for iui yet..
But after completion of my clomid i felt super hot esp durin at night.. i dun feel that hot before that.. wonder is it clomid effects?

It seems to happen after IUI, although it happens more in IVf patients either before the harvesting of the eggs or just after the harvest.

I don't have the stats cos doc didn't share with me, so can't be sure if it will happen to you. Bear in mind for me, my jab dosages increased by 50% (100mg to 150mg) after my first scan for about a good 8 or 9 days and my IUI was delayed until day 18.

You can't worry too much at this point, just watch out for bloating signs and sudden weight gain, inability to walk or stand up straight. In moderate cases, difficulty in breathing. The last thing you want to do is to be paranoid about OHSS after IUI is done and that paranoia might work against your conception chances.

I'm on puregon. My dose went up to 125. Today day 20 then stop injecting. Scheduled for my 1st iui on thur.

Thanks for ur advise.

I'm on puregon too.. Then I relieve abit at least is a common feeling.. I tot y I feel this way only...
The flushing comes and goes. At times Is like a feverish feeling. I had that with puregon as well.Along with alot of AF like cramps as well as bloating. Im enduring gonal F way better :) rest more. For me, The flushing stopped after iui .. that was like after stopping the jabs

The flushing comes and goes. At times Is like a feverish feeling. I had that with puregon as well.Along with alot of AF like cramps as well as bloating. Im enduring gonal F way better :) rest more. For me, The flushing stopped after iui .. that was like after stopping the jabs
Thanks for sharing. Can I check with u, did u had 1 more dose of puregon on the day of pregnyl injection? Coz today they stop my puregon injection & ask me to go for my trigger shot. Then iui on thur morning. I read Fr u all seem like after trigger shot next day iui liao right?

Thanks for sharing. Can I check with u, did u had 1 more dose of puregon on the day of pregnyl injection? Coz today they stop my puregon injection & ask me to go for my trigger shot. Then iui on thur morning. I read Fr u all seem like after trigger shot next day iui liao right?

Nope. No more puregon jab. When they asked
for u to go for trigger shot ..it meant ur follicles r
of acceptable sizes and quantity under their iui
criteria. they will give u trigger shot to so called stop your follicles from growing furthur and induce ovulation by giving u the trigger shot. The iui is usually done within 48hours after trigger shot is given cos it takes like 24 to 48hrs for ovulation to occur. For non spore base countries ..I read that they sometimes do 2x iui ... like once today and once tomorrow to increase chances but dont think this is practiced here in spore context. At least not for kkh

For me it was 36 hrs after trigger shot both cycles. Ya not practiced in SG to do 2xiui. They would rather u go home and do the deed.

OHSS develops after the trigger shot

u mentioned ur on CD20 and doc was increasing dosage along the way, so I think the possibility of OHSS is quite small because your ovaries aren't over stimulated ... so don't worry! :)

when i was on puregon, i had very severe gastric pains and bloating before the trigger, my waist expanded about 3 inches and i gained a few kg ... people thought i was pregnant lor

Actually ohss tends to develop with pregnyl shot.. in other ctry context ..they substitute pregynl with another jab. Just wondering why it isnt used in spore context to minimize risk of ohss.
@veraine .. I aso hav severe episodes of gastric pain with all the jabbings..

I think there's another one called ovdriel, and there were also very high instances of OHSS developing. Don't think too much. I tried to look from the bright side, the longer I had it, it meant my pregnancy was taking shape. :)

Just did my scan. Probably requires more jabbing. Didnt over reacted this time round.lining 5.3mm Had 3follicles on right biggest being 6.. left unknown. Heard doc saying not clear. Keeping fingers crossed that all go well

Bad news . I have a 20mm follicle on my right! 3 follies but size 6 5 5 on left.i tested negative for ovulation.doc worry I might have ovulated already.i was told to jab 50units today ..tom morn test for ovulation.if negative I continue jabbing 50units fri back to scan and they will do a blood test for ovulation for me. If positive then I will need to proceed for iui immediately with only 1 dominant follicle. If blood test shws I ovulated already then I got to forego this cycle cos too late. Oh my . . I hope I haven ovulated and I hope my other follies catch up. And my lining is not ready as well for now

Oops. Do you have a shorter than 28 days cycle usually? Could it be leftover follicle from last month? Could be an empty one like what I had though mine was detected on D2 scan. Some docs might disregard that and see if it reduces in size. Hope the 3 follicles on the other side grow! Rest well and stay positive!

Nope my cycle is always regular.nv miss 1 cycle in my life. This cycle was delayed by 6days though after my first failed iui. Nope my cyst was visible last month and so I was told to stop a cycle. Whn I did day 2 scan last fri my cyst was already cleared. Doc couldnt find any cyst which is the result of the leftover corpus letum from ruptured follies. Ya I hope no ovulation yet and my other 3follies faster speed up I either got to forego this cycle if ovulation has occured or to proceed with iui with 1 matured folly only .. sianzzz

Have to think about it lor, if the factors are not optimum then it will be a waste in all sense. It's frustrating but have to take a stand. Hope everything goes well in the next few days for u! When do u have to go back and scan again?

Ya not optimized im also super sianz. Scheduled to go back on fri if my ovulation test negative tom .. if positive then got to go back immediately to carry out iui. I tested negative last month when I tested for ovulation myself..thinking to time myself. Come to think of it probably my ovulation is always early dats y I cant get preggy ..sigh. everythg is in a wreck

[QUOveraine, post: 7844961, member: 171560"]@h0peful, one dominant follicle is not bad! at least can proceed with IUI :)

Day 2 last Fri, means today Day 7, and already 20mm?[/QUOTE]

Is jUst weird that the right has 1 fast growing folly of 20mm while the left has 3 but not growing well ... biggest being 6mm only. At least if they r growing at the right pace is considered good. Last cycle i was with 6 to7 follies each side most growing at almost same pace but too many follies for iui already. This time doc worry i over reacted cos im of high amh so reduced my dose to half of average dose. Who knows only 1 dominant folly on right but the left follies r not due for maturity yet. Lining is not per expected as well. Just 5.3mm..minimally need around 7 to 8mm for successful embedment. And i dont even know if i ovulated already or not .. if already ovulated then is too late for iui

By right if cycles are regular you should also ovulate at the right timing leh... Did you ask the doctor?

I remembered my first cycle, my doc chided me for injecting on the same side, and that cycle I also had 1 side moving faster than the other. So I did alternate sides and it was much better.

Just keep testing for ovulation, hopefully the lining thickens in time as well. Did the doctor say if there is anything you should eat to help thicken lining and grow the follies? I remembered I asked before on growing the follies and soya bean and tofu were the answers. So I went out and looked for gmo free soya bean and had a few meals with tofu as mains. Not so sure about lining... Red bean?

Yea it irks me that my cycles r so regular but I just have problems getting preggy. And I tested negative last month for ovulation on day 12 and 14. I will ask the doc tomorrow. I read in overseas context ..they stim to folly size of more than 24mm. But anythg bigger than 30mm will usually turn cyst. And dont mean bigfolly will contain an egg ..it might well be just fluid. Usually 1dominant folly will cause the other follies to stop growing ..seems like my case. Probably doc wants me to jab to c if other folly catches up. If they don't grow I might well have ovulated already. I tested negative today as well which means tomorrow I have to go bacm to scan and probably do a blood wrk. I have been eating egg whites drking soy bean drinks. I will go get red bean later. I jab by alternating both sides but folly grows much bigger on right only-,- there was a lady who was triggered but only ovulated 4days later ... aiyo just so hard to control what our biological system do

True that, our biological system is a mystery. Well don't worry too much, have faith, it will work out somehow. I waited 10 years for this. There will be a way if you try. Jia you!

Thanks! Btw anyone experienced numbness in leg after jabbings? I started getting this tingling numbness in the left leg after dose was upped.

Just did CD12 scan.. Same story, follies growing well but whether insemination will be successful later is another

RHS not apparent
LHS 3 growing, 2 bigger ones are 16 and 18mm
Lining 9mm

Going to inject ovidrel tmr, mon IUI

Must remember to ask if I shd continue w same treatment if its unsuccessful cos that will be e 8th cycle on clomid already :(

@h0peful All the best for your scan today.. Our bodies are so unpredictable that anything could happen heh

And nope, I don't recall any sensation in legs, maybe cos e discomfort in e abdomen area superseded everything else

Veraine ...Jia you. U r getting good results. I just had my scan. I tested negative for ovulation. My rhs folly has grown frm 20 to 26.5mm! And lhs not responding at all. Lining 7.6mm .. did blood test. If horm level high means big folly contains an egg. Otherwise is just fluid. If fluid then I got to abort my iui .. if contains egg then I got to get triggered today and tom iui .. super sianz. .if fluid means I wasted a cycle. Im waiting for my results now ..2to 3hrs wait

Prob is my scans usually look very positive then everyone will get optimistic but never successful. The issue shd be w later stages.

So now u just play some games or read to will the time away :)

Yea iui abort then go back sleep. Felt emo but well .. everythg is unpredictable. Just got to think of whats the next step..do 3rd cycle or go to ivf. Ur results look good. Dont think too much. We cant control our biological systems ..even the gynaes and docs aso cant predict how we will respond ..

Hmm, rest well. Have a good sleep, then think about it.

Some suggestions.. Think about going to TCM again to tiao your body, do it until the TCM doc say ur body is good for IUI procedures.Take a break from it now. The old saying is true, you can't take care of others unless you have taken care of yourself.

Re IVF, I did think about it too, during my 2nd IUI. It was really last resort for me (and my doc as well) and I wasn't sure if I would be strong enough to take it if IVF didn't work out. The emotional pain will be a few times more, since there is an egg selection process, and then an embryo selection process. After embryo transfer, it is still not a high percentage of implantation. If anytime during the process OHSS occurs, that cycle is also wasted, and you end up having to freeze the eggs and sperm...

Dosage for injections are about 300mg per jab, so probability of OHSS is much higher. Eventually I told myself, even if this fails, I will not go for it. My heart is not strong enough. I'll probably live with it, and silently resent my hubby. :p

Meanwhile, take care and rest well ok. Join ur hubby in wherever he is going for his biz trip and have a pampering holiday?

Just did CD12 scan.. Same story, follies growing well but whether insemination will be successful later is another

RHS not apparent
LHS 3 growing, 2 bigger ones are 16 and 18mm
Lining 9mm

Going to inject ovidrel tmr, mon IUI

Must remember to ask if I shd continue w same treatment if its unsuccessful cos that will be e 8th cycle on clomid already :(

U hv gd results.

Hope i will get to see growth tmr.
Jiayou!!!

Yea iui abort then go back sleep. Felt emo but well .. everythg is unpredictable. Just got to think of whats the next step..do 3rd cycle or go to ivf. Ur results look good. Dont think too much. We cant control our biological systems ..even the gynaes and docs aso cant predict how we will respond ..

Yeah, agree with h0pefulyuki, have a good sleep now first then think of the next step. Did yr doc make any recommendations?

I always tell myself all these tribulations make us more resilient parents in the future

Back