Preparation for Pri. 1 advise needed

choyagal

Hi all,

My girl is now in K2 and is going to Pri. 1 next year,

I would like to ask parents how do you prep your child for Primary 1 in terms of academic? Can share with me your experiences? what must she know in order to cope at ease?

is there any website/blog that I can do reading myself

Currently she or rather me, we are still in honeymoon period.. I do bought some assessment books for her but I didn't really asking her to do it everyday..

can she cope in primary 1, if she still does not know how to spell a lot of words, especially sight words like 'don't, have etc..'

and I realise simple Chinese words like 'hand (shou), head (tou), was not learnt in school, instead school already starting teaching her those chimpology words like 'love (ai), home (jia)...

should I start worrying now..?

Thanks in advance

Hi,
I am not sure what ur daughter know but according to what my boy in P1 is doing, I think..
For Eng - some basic grammars, vocab, construct simple sentences is important. Must know how to read because they will most probably ask the children to bring storybooks to read before assembly. If phonics is strong, spelling should not be much of a problem. For my son's spelling, starting term 2, 1 out of 10 is a sentence.
Else, the school might also ask the weaker students (identified by form teacher) to stay back for extra lessons.
For Chi - must know HYPY cause if don't know how to write the chinese characters, can use hypy to substitute.

If you want to be sure, can go to bookstore to take a look at the P1 textbooks and workbooks and if your daughter is able to do it 50%-60% without coaching, then she should be able to cope okay in P1.

It depends on which school yr girl is going. My girl's school is slower in pace compared to other schools. Very seldom they have homework, Teachers allow homework to be done in school if they have time. Weaker students will be group together and taught by another teacher in another class. It's call Learning Support Programme (LSP) and they also have remedial class once a week after school.

And yes u definitely need to start her off with some hypy knowledge. Chinese spelling will include hypy. P2 will be even more of hypy.

Wow.. Din realised all the changes that primary 1 kids face.... My girl N1 now like v relax, i also nv tot of getting assessment books. Hehe, now after reading all the sharings, think its time to start. She cant speak or understand chinese, so i tink its gonna b a huge problem for me...

Relax....N1 still got a long way la...hahaha My girl never knew a single chinese word when she started N1. Even now she's in P2, she's still speaking english to her chinese teacher tho her written chinese is not bad. For me, I feel that the most impt is that they must enjoy going to school.

Better start preparing in k1 or k2. For english start on basic grammer. Im a full time tutor and when i tutor those p1 or p2, those parents that didnt prepare their kids, can see them struggling a lot and they sure have lots to catch up.
Buy those simple basic grammer for english and for math, start working on the addition and subtraction. P2 will be starting on multiplication and division. So fast already

Hihi.. may I know how to teach hypy? What book to buy to teach? My son in K. But don't know hypy at all. I thot of intro and buy assessment, any good recommendation?

I sent my boy to berries which they teaching is consider good for him and he did pick up hypy. Now he seems to be coping well though not perfect but I am overall satisfy

Back