Change of gynae at NUH, please help

oat_meal

Hi gals,

I am first time pregnant, for today I am 16weeks + 4dYS pregnant.
Dr Vanaja at NUH is my gynae. I really don't feel that my doctor is friendly and open for questions. I have visited her twice, every time she is rushing. This time I asked about Rh factor, whether I need to be worried. She did not reply well, she just said I need not worry because I am o +ve. I expected her to educate me about what is Rh factor, why I don't need to worry etc., instead she said "from where did you learn this Rh factor suddenly". I really do not want to see this doctor again.....
I have fetal full anatomy scan in April, followed by visiting her on the same day.

I need advice, is it okay to change gynae at this stage (16 weeks preg).
Have any of you changed doctor in NUH, what is the procedure?
Can I get recommendations for good doctors at NUH? I am thinking to change to Dr.
Chua Tsei Meng.

Thanks in advance.

If you feel uncomfortable then I would suggest change.
I felt like that when I was with doc Chua.. So I ended up not looking forward to go scan my baby. ;) I am changing to another one for this no3, cos I gave 2 a shot and same experience ahAhhaha

Thanks for your reply..
I do not understand, if the nurse and staff are a bit rude I can understand its the work pressure. But doctors, they spend only one minute in every visit since they are seniors we end up paying $100 + for every consultation. If this is the kind of response we get... I donno know what to do... :)

I was with Dr TM Chua for my #1 (delivered in Sep 2014). She's a very concerned gynae who does the checks thoroughly. However, she tends to speak pretty fast (may appear that she rushes through the explanation) but she will always ask if I had any concerns over my pregnancy and so on. I recalled during my last trimester, there were severe pains near the groin area which comes off and on and she did a V scan for me foc.

Oat_meal, for the change, would suggest that you share your concern with the reception counter. I recalled reading in some forums that a switch is possible but do have it done asap during your next check up. If you had already signed up for the pre natal package, pls check which gynaes are in the same category as Dr Vanaja (Consultant / Senior Consultant). Good luck and smooth delivery :)

Thanks so much for your advice...
I have not signed up for pre natal package but need to make a decision by my next visit which is on April 7.
I really want to feel I am in safe hands. I regret neglecting my hubby's suggestion on changing doc after my first visit :-( hope its not too late.
I am thinking to change to Dr.Chua Tsei Meng or Dr. su su lin or Dr Anitha Kale.
Since I am first time pregnant, I have no idea what skills of a doctor matters during the delivery time. I heard one of my friend say, doctor should cut umbilical cord fast and stitch properly... not sure

My conclusion about Dr Chua is that she is a mother of 3, so if she survived we would and should ;)

She is professional no doubt about that but this pregnancy I need a someone with tender loving care haaaa so I have decided to change.

Her expertise is in the area of fetus growth ;)

Oat_meal, as much as you have your preferred choice, I understand that the gynaes are very fully booked and they would normally give priority to their current pool of patients. You may wish to check on their availability as well. I opted for Dr Su Lin Lin during my 1st appointment at NUH but she was fully booked so I went for Dr Chua. No regrets!

Dr Chua's stitching skills are excellent.. after about 8 hours of bed rest after delivery, I managed to walk on my own to the washroom :) Btw, my hubby cut the umbilical cord which scared the hell out of him during then but it has been his most memorable moment in life :)

Wow.... thats amazing that your husband cut umbilical cord....
You are right, I checked for Dr. Su lin lin and her appointments are full until mid April. I am scared that it will be late for my 20 weeks anomaly scan.
So I opted for Dr Chua.... got it changed just now. Procedure to change is very simple, called NUH appt online service and they changed for me.
Thanks a lot for helping me decide. :)

Forgot to mention.... on the day I was so pissed off by Dr. Vanaja...:( I did got to NUH website and explained what happened during my visit in the feedback form. And I immediately got a call from them asking what happened and which doc I wanted to change to... They take negative feedback seriously:p

Wow.... thats amazing that your husband cut umbilical cord....
You are right, I checked for Dr. Su lin lin and her appointments are full until mid April. I am scared that it will be late for my 20 weeks anomaly scan.
So I opted for Dr Chua.... got it changed just now. Procedure to change is very simple, called NUH appt online service and they changed for me.
Thanks a lot for helping me decide. :)

Most welcome. unfortunately Dr Chua did not deliver my baby as my labour pain only lasted 5 minutes. Normally when you are fully dilated then they page for your gynae (i think). Mine jumped from 3.5cm (when i was admitted) to 10cm within an hour. The moment the trainee gynae turned his back and said he will page for Dr Chua, my excited little girl just slipped out.. poor little one.. no one was there to 'catch' her. Luckily the bed was huge! Alas.. I went through delivery without any painkillers :)

For natural birth, the process pretty simple. You give birth, doctor will check the baby is ok and clean the baby then doctor will offer the pair of scissors to your hubby for him to cut the cord. I waited for about 30 mins after I gave birth, Dr Chua arrived to do stitching and ask me to push out the placenta.. that really hurts alot! (more than childbirth) After so, welcome to parent hood!

Awww..... so nice to hear how you gave birth. I am the first one among my sisters to give birth. So I have no idea how does it feel to hold a new born baby. No first hand exp people around to give advice or tips on pregnancy too ...
Thanks a lot for sharing mawyy84

Awww..... so nice to hear how you gave birth. I am the first one among my sisters to give birth. So I have no idea how does it feel to hold a new born baby. No first hand exp people around to give advice or tips on pregnancy too ...
Thanks a lot for sharing mawyy84

Well its natural mummy's instinct :) For now, just relax and continue to take supplements and try to take many small meals in a day. There are baby bathing classes conducted within the maternity suite after you've delivered so not to worry about all those :)

Back