Help!!: Toddler constipation 2012

autrumn

Hi, my girl is coming to 2 years old soon and for the past 1 year, she has been having constipation (and the problem seems to be worsening in recent months). She goes for at least 3 to 4 days without passing motion and although she tries, she finds it very difficult to get the stool out. When she finally passes motion, she will cry coz the stool is too hard and big.

My girl does take fruits & vegetables, eat colostrum probiotics and drink a lot of water. I am wondering if it's her milk powder (she takes GainIQ).

Does anyone have a good solution for constipation or suggestions on milk powder that does not cause constipation?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Similac was heaty for my boy too last time. My bb takes NAN brand. He poos better then when he was taking similac.

U can try gvg her barley water. If she dun like the taste, u can use it to make up her FM once a day.

Hv u tried prunes or apples? Papaya is useful too. Too much banana can cause constipation.

Hi sungrapes. My girl takes barley water a few times a week..she also eats e bottle prunes, together with kiwi..seldom take banana & apples...& she hates papaya..

at my wits' end already
sad.gif

I used to buy frm pharmacy smthg for children's constipation. Cant rem the name but the pharmacist can help.

I gv once a day to my boy and it did help. But not advisable for long term.

Wat abt brown rice and oats?

oh..i have that drug..is the the softening stool medicine? the pd did prescribe that to her but it works very slowly & doesn't alwaays help

she also takes brown rice & oats almost everyday
sad.gif

Hi autrumn,

Try mamil gold? My girl has been on mamil good since stage 2, now stage 3, although she does not poo everyday, but her stools are always soft. No problem pooping always. She takes fruits n veg too though.
happy.gif

haven't changed FM yet..but may try..
have requested for the new Gain IQ Total Comfort sample..dunno will help or not
sad.gif

Toddler eat more solids,give baby yoghurt,more fruits,veg etc.Boil chinese barley with tong gua tang every 2-3 days,add into milk,stools will improve.Trust me have use this methods for many years ,effective............

Hi,

my girl also on mamil gold, and poo poo is ok. But when she takes more solid meals, she has constipation problems too. Haiz. She also choosy, only take apples and hate barley water.

hi emama, thanks for your suggestions..my ger is eating yoghurt (although she doesn't really like it), as well as fruits & veg. My dad lets her drink that chinese barley 3X a week leh..but she still has constipation..

Is mamil gold really good? Anyone tried NAN?

I have 2 boys, both took NAN Pro 1, 2, 3.

The bigger boy (now 4 yr old) is on Nespray 3+.

The younger one is coming to 1 yr old, has been on NAN Pro 1, 2, and now, we are slowly switching him to NAN Pro 3.

Both boys eat rice cooked with veggies & meat, but the younger one has the food mashed up so that it's easier to eat.

No problem with constipation - they poop everyday. I would recommend lots of fruits and plenty of water.

I feed both boys blended fruits everyday (seasonal, depending on what's available) but the amount of blended fruit is approx 180ml for the big boy and approx 80ml for the younger boy. e.g.
2 slices seedless guava
3 grapes
1 strawberry
5 cubes (like ice cube size) papaya
half a kiwi (yellow one)
2 cherries
1 small slice mango

Plums are really good for constipation. Blend one plum (remove the skin & seed), blend together with some papaya. Should send them pooping
happy.gif

Packham pears are really good too (when they are yellow and ripe, but can cause phlegm in smaller kids, so got to be careful how much you give. Normally once slice 2cm thick is enough)

Oh, and both my boys drink Yakult - The big one drinks 1 full bottle everyday, the small one drinks half a bottle on alternate days.

Thanks blue skies for the comprehensive advice! You certainly feed your boys a great deal of fruits! I will try out your "recipie"..Thanks!

Hi Mums, pls helppp

Since my girl takes Nan 4, she has been having constipation. I wonder if it's caused by Nan 4 or not even though she take fruits and water a lot every day. Moreover, I used clyster for her easy to get the stool out few days ago. Thanks lovely mums.

Can try Friso comfort or goat's milk (Karihome) to help relieve constipation. But if there is already a roadblock, best to clear first with suppository (Minica from Guardian $6 for 2 tubes).
I have 2 tins of Friso comfort expiring in 2013. Clearing them at $7 each (usual price from NTUC is around $13)? If interested pls PM me.

Hello... I am on a battle with constipation, too. My son, 2 years old is constantly constipated - tears on the face, and blood from the anus!

I have been giving him Lactulous for the past week, it seem to help - but when he misses a day, all hell breaks loose. He's on GainIQ too. Should I change his milk powder?

when my son has constipation (actually he misses the bowel by at most 2 days so far, usually every day or every other day and he's coming to 3 yrs old), i will make him barley+green bean soup. sure go. had good experience with avocado in the past but he doesn't like it so much now.

My boy (3yrs) also having the same constipation problem. Each time he passed motion, he's tearing and his poo-poo has blood stain.

Initially, I asked him to take prune juice, he took a few times. It worked. But awhile, he didn't want to drink it anymore. I tried barley, yogurt, papaya also, but didn't help much.

At last, I brought my boy to TCM, and after few round of chinese medicine, he is no longer crying.

My girls used to have constipation until they stopped drinking their favourite Enfa milk. PD said the type/brand of milk is a culprit in some cases.

Hi mummies

My 4yo will pass motion smoothly after eating dragonfruits. It helps each time he does not poo for a day.

When eating apples, heard that they gotta drink water otherwise it doesn't help to pass motion.

Prune juice also helps, we use those Heinz or Gerber bottled ones for baby.

Any doctor to recommend for 2 yo constipation problem? I have tried to give her plenty of water, fruit juices (including prune juices), spinach, sweet patotoes, barley..still not working
sad.gif

Urm... how many days already? If 2 - 3 days, can buy Lactulous from any pharmacy. Give according to the dosage, coupled with papaya/dragonfruit, confirm will go within 24hrs. If too many days, best to see a GP to get suppository or enema...

For my son, he has chronic constipation. Fruit juice first thing in the morning on empty stomach might make you go... but the fibre content is very low. As for vege... not all vege will do - there is a difference between soluble fibre (the leafy part) and the non-soluble fibre (the stem). So there needs to be a good mix of stems and leaves (plus a lot of water). Fruits, not all will work as well - Kiwi, papaya, dragonfruit are usually the best. Green bean soup works, too.

For me, if my son supposed to do it after dinner everyday. If he misses, he will get one dose of lactulous before bed. He might get another dose after breakfast the next day as well. Dinnertime day2 surely will go. Otherwise, he will get lactulous until he goes. It is very important for him to get the lactulous cos it is a stool softener - else, his stool will be too thick and too hard and he will bleed in pain.

Good luck!

Try karihome. Changing to goat's milk helped my son. Can add on lactulose to soften stools. Even if a child poos, he may still be considered constipated if the poo has not totally cleared out. So important for the child to have a good amount of poo daily. Constipation can sometimes lead to acute urine retention, which is very painfully and dangerous to the child.

My 3 year old boy has serious constipation since young.
We had tried prune juice, manuka honey, banana, payaya, Lactulose, but not exactly effective.

Eventually, we gave him pure apple juice in the morning and this help him. We invest in a good juicer, and he love it.

Maybe you can try this method for constipation. Cut a small piece of soap into the size of a marble, lubricate it with water and insert it into the anus, will poo in a few minutes. My mum used this method for me and all my siblings when we constipate when we were young. The soap works by lubricating the stool and make them easier to pass out. Checked with the doctor and she is ok with it.

Remember last time when we admit into the labour ward for delivery? After changing into the gown, the nurse will insert a bottle of soapy liquid (Fleet Enema) into the anus to clear our bowels? The piece of soap works the same here.

After reading tis thread, now i m reliec that I'm not alone. It was a dilemma since my lo was 12mo till now 18mo. She has tear & bleeding most of the time. Her frequency of passing motion is 2-3 days. Now that she is older, she seems to control to avoid poo-ing if she can.

I have tried kiwi, dragonfruit, yogurt, oat, blueberry, probiotic, virgin coconut oil, chia seeds(laxative effect), variety of veg... I'm running out of ideas too. I dont know how much the amt is good enuf as my lo can only eat so much for her tiny tummy. Btw, she is a breastfed bb since birth. So whats the cultript?

Unless she is willing drown herself with water everyday. She doesnt take papaya nor prune. I have to stop banana, brown rice & apples. Btw, recently i have read ffm babycentrr & it mentioned abt anal fissure. I googled on the pic & chk on my b 's anus aftr poop. She really has 2 vertical deep cut (tear), no wonder it s so painful. I guess if i were to lubricate the anus before the stools pass thru would be better. I m yet to try it.

Hi babyseetoh, is your baby still suffering from the problem? How or what you do to lubricate the anus?

My daughter has been crying for months whenever she pooed. Like all mommies mentioned above, I have given various fruits, prunes, encourage her drinking water and exercising. These days, she seemed to be holding back her poo.

I have also given her dupulac when she didn't poo for more than 24 hours. I have also constantly trying to massage her tummy too to release the bloatness in her tummy. Just that her poo is still very hard in the beginning and thus anus still bled.

I don't want to switch milk powder as she drinks only thrice a day (sometimes 2 times a day).

My 20 month old baby was constipated for a week and a half from rusk mixed with water. He did not display any crankiness but was always sweating, had stinky gas, and was always sleeping. I took off as i was worried for my child are there any natural remedies like prune juices because he doesn't like it.

Last edited:
My gal constipated for 10 days when she was 6mths old. Went to doc to insert and took her another 5 hours at home before she poo. According to polyclinic doc is quite normal for some kids to constipate cos of the food they take.
Now at 3yr+ she can go without poo for 4 days, even if she poo everyday is Hard and thicker den adult poo. Her tummy is hard and big, which shldnt be the case, therefore kkh doc asked me to measure every few days see if will downsize or that her usual tummy size. She takes fibre veg fruits but still d same, switched fm to low fat milk also of no use. Good to seek doc advise if ur worried bout the kid. :)

For constipation child treatment, I actually did this when my child is still like maybe 2 years old if im not mistaken.. I used to feed him with alot of fruits or fresh fruit juice whenever he have troubles with his bowel. This is to provide him with more fiber to ease the bowel movement.. Maybe u can try this way..

My gal constipated for 10 days when she was 6mths old. Went to doc to insert and took her another 5 hours at home before she poo. According to polyclinic doc is quite normal for some kids to constipate cos of the food they take.
Now at 3yr+ she can go without poo for 4 days, even if she poo everyday is Hard and thicker den adult poo. Her tummy is hard and big, which shldnt be the case, therefore kkh doc asked me to measure every few days see if will downsize or that her usual tummy size. She takes fibre veg fruits but still d same, switched fm to low fat milk also of no use. Good to seek doc advise if ur worried bout the kid. :)

thanks for the advice i will definitely want the best for my baby will go to the nearest paediatrician to examine

my baby also had constipation problems when she was about 2 1/2 y/o
but soon i found out its just the food that she consume and maybe could be the lack of water also
lack of water makes the stool harder

My LO used to face with constipation. I tried many ways but still not working. My friend that have give birth to 2 kids suggests add more fiber foods to my LO's diet
Moreover, i insert the glycerin suppository and wiggle his belly but DUH.. so i decided to send my LO to hospital
He's now recovered. Thanks God!!

Last edited:
i have a DD too and when was 3 and still drinking milk but started consuming solids until one point of time when she was constipated for almost a week
then my MIL asked around her friends to see what is wrong and they said could be the food intake or lack of water or maybe not enough fibre
i changed my milk formula a few times until i found the right one which is Mamil. just a suggestion for all of you to try cuz the formula for at least 7 days cuz that formula does not contain sucrose
also not forgetting Mamil has a new ingredient that prevents constipation if im not mistaken you can request for samples from Dumex just email them and ask for sample cuz milk formulas are not cheap nowadays

Back