IUI/SO-IUI: Anyone?

Yes!! Finally I'm going to embark on this journey... Jus back from counseling...

Any sister can highlight to me what to eat now is the best?? I know this qns have been ask many times... Thank u so much!!!

Yes!! Finally I'm going to embark on this journey... Jus back from counseling...

Any sister can highlight to me what to eat now is the best?? I know this qns have been ask many times... Thank u so much!!!

Great! I guess it's time to scale back on alcohol, caffeine, fried and oily stuff, load up on veg and fruits as well as at least 5mg of folic acid everyday. I reduced wine drinking from almost every other day to maybe 2x a week. I ate more fish - had to get my sushi and sashimi fix, which I guess was just as well, since fish is a good protein source. I didn't eat much chicken somehow.

I also ate more tofu (especially Yong tau foo), drank soya bean milk maybe like 2x a week during the 1st 2 weeks of the cycle, when I was doing the injections. I was already on folic acid for about 6 months or more actually. More importantly, I did everything normally but left it to common healthy eating habits to get me past the initial stages. I caved in occasionally, like indulged in KFC, crabs, and drank maybe more than 2 cups of coffee...

I guess just by eating alone is not enough... And to risk sounding a little preachy here... Managing stress levels and keeping fit is just as important. On hindsight, while I know I always had some ways of managing stress, I wasn't keeping fit enough. Trust me, if you had to be on bed rest for about a week due to complications, you will know what I mean. Of course I hope nobody else has to go through this. After I was discharged, I find myself in the fitness pit. A slow walk of maybe 30-50m would have me panting like mad. I measured my heart rate and it was consistently in the high 90s to 100s. Exercising helps to distress too, so it will be good for your overall well-being and prime your body better.

Do what makes sense for you, there is no point feeling miserable doing something which others say is good but you absolutely loathe it, and keep a positive mind. No food can replace positivity and optimism.

Good luck!

Emma1302 if it is really bad bloat until you have difficulty standing straight, call your gynae ok?

Chloebbkia, how did the BT go?

I am given bed rest for a week! Starting spotting and bleeding on Saturday, doc gave me an injection and told me to get off my feet. :( Every time I go toilet I keep telling peanut to stay in... :p

ImageUploadedByForum1424134490.725906.jpg
see my cocktail of pills in the morning? Folic acid, thyroxine, metformin and utrogestan...

Hi everyone
I am new here. I am schedule to do iui next month. I've been given clomid for the next af.
I know there should be replies regarding this but may I know what can I expect before iui, during and after? I'm a little worried....

Thanks! :)

Anyone has a late 2nd mensus after failed iui? I failed my iui more than a month and had to reat a month due to leftover cyst from jabs and ovulation. Was due for AF on 1st day cny but has not turned up yet. Cramps on and off as though AF is turning up. Tested negative yday ..duno wad to expect now .. wait few more days or c a doc induce AF. Delayed af is delaying my 2nd iui cycle

How's everyone after long break from CNY? Eat a lot of stuff? How's first day back to work?

Haven't been update since before CNY.

I have good news to share...tested faint positive one day before my BT scheduled last Monday.

My BT results come back with positive!!

I wish all ladies here good luck and hopefully will get BFP very very soon!! Don't give up!

H
Congrats Chloebbkia!

H0peful, have you seen a doc yet? Might be better to discuss with a gynae/doc who can advise you better?

Hi, AF finally reported! After being late for 6days! Was advised by kkh to go for day 2 scan this friday. Praying my cyst is gone and i can embark on 2nd cycle asap

How's everyone after long break from CNY? Eat a lot of stuff? How's first day back to work?

Haven't been update since before CNY.

I have good news to share...tested faint positive one day before my BT scheduled last Monday.

My BT results come back with positive!!

I wish all ladies here good luck and hopefully will get BFP very very soon!! Don't give up!
Congrats!!! U succeeded after how many iui?

H

Hi, AF finally reported! After being late for 6days! Was advised by kkh to go for day 2 scan this friday. Praying my cyst is gone and i can embark on 2nd cycle asap

Hug hug.. new cycle new hope.. at least u no need to induce ur af despite waitin n waiting..

Jus go ahead to scan and hopd ur gynae will advise u on the next step!!!
Jia you..

I tried to rest in bed as much as I can, but these 2 days I noticed a very sore tailbone. It makes sleeping on the back and sitting very uncomfortable. I think I might slowly start walking a bit. Too much rest makes me feel like an invalid. The good thing is business is a little on the lull side so I can rest.

Those in the TWW, stay positive!

Those going for the next cycle, Jia you!

I tried to rest in bed as much as I can, but these 2 days I noticed a very sore tailbone. It makes sleeping on the back and sitting very uncomfortable. I think I might slowly start walking a bit. Too much rest makes me feel like an invalid. The good thing is business is a little on the lull side so I can rest.

Those in the TWW, stay positive!

Those going for the next cycle, Jia you!

Oh dear.. sounds so painful.
Hope u are feelin better by nw...

Hi ladies, can I ask normally those who did iui before, on which day was ur procedure? Coz today is my day 15, follicle still small.. So getting quite worried..

I started with 100mg of Gonal-f, on day 7 only 6mm, doc increased to 150mg, day 12 was 12.5mm. I think I scanned on day 14, it was close to 16mm but I can't find the scan... Carried on with 150mg until day 16, trigger shot on day 17 morning before 9am. Did my IUI on day 18 afternoon about 4pm. I have to say my doc basically did damn good project management, having counted the hours to the minute.

But I think the increased dosages caused me to have OHSS, whatever the case is, not complaining! Now peanut just has to be good and grow properly...

Doing my day 2 scan today. Hope I get the go ahead to start 2nd cycle. Hearing that chloebbkia succeeded on 2nd iui ..dat is at least giving me mild hopes .. fingers crossed. Hi chloebbkia...congrats. just to ask ..did u bd after iui?

Last edited:
Doing my day 2 scan today. Hope I get the go ahead to start 2nd cycle. Hearing that chloebbkia succeeded on 2nd iui ..dat is at least giving me mild hopes .. fingers crossed. Hi chloebbkia...congrats. just to ask ..did u bd after iui?

Good luck for ur scan ltr on.. update us after ur scan. :)

Hi hopeful, yes I did BD two days consecutively after IUI to increase the chance. Wish you good luck !

Good luck! Success rates are higher for 2nd try, I got mine 2nd try too. Whatever the case is, just relax ok?

Thanks h0pefulyuki. Just sian cos hb has an upcoming overseas biz trip and worry may clash. I din want to freeze spermies cos scared cant survive thaw furthur reducing chance. Waiting for review now .. lining 3mm and abit of fluid ..duno wad dat means. Heard got small folly on my left. Given all clear to start my 2nd cycle. Did u bd as well after iui? Read dat u were on gonal f .. doc chnged mine from purgeon to gonal f this cycle.any difference?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, new to the forum :)

Was with a pte gynae from 2013, diagnosed with PCOS (not insulin resistance nor weight, so don't know the cause), and everything else normal.
- did 4 rounds of clomid (50g), BD
- 5th round of clomid + puregon (50 IU for 5 days): when i went back on CD9 for scan, my follicles were too stimulated. Had 8 which were ranging from 14 to 16 mm. So doc stopped med, no trigger and told to BD. But it went downhill cos I probably ovulated and corpus luteum started bleeding and I had to have an emergency surgery to remove the 1 litre of internal hemorrhage.
- changed to Prof PC Wong (NUH), just had an unsuccessful 6th round of clomid (100g) with IUI
- now on my 7th round of clomid (100g) and waiting for scans to take place, but going to be with Dr Anu cos Prof Wong not around :( so i got to explain e entire situation again

Wondering if anyone also had so many tries with clomid and did the doctors persist on? Prof Wong said he wants me to try for 2 more cycles if the previous one failed, before contemplating IVF.

And any tips for trying to increase the chances of success for IUI?

I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that this round works and I don't have to do any injections for subsequent tries, cos e prev gynae said i have a very high risk of OHSS and with the prev episode, i really dread the bloating and the risk of bleeding again :(

Hi everyone, new to the forum :)

Was with a pte gynae from 2013, diagnosed with PCOS (not insulin resistance nor weight, so don't know the cause), and everything else normal.
- did 4 rounds of clomid (50g), BD
- 5th round of clomid + puregon (50 IU for 5 days): when i went back on CD9 for scan, my follicles were too stimulated. Had 8 which were ranging from 14 to 16 mm. So doc stopped med, no trigger and told to BD. But it went downhill cos I probably ovulated and corpus luteum started bleeding and I had to have an emergency surgery to remove the 1 litre of internal hemorrhage.
- changed to Prof PC Wong (NUH), just had an unsuccessful 6th round of clomid (100g) with IUI
- now on my 7th round of clomid (100g) and waiting for scans to take place, but going to be with Dr Anu cos Prof Wong not around :( so i got to explain e entire situation again

Wondering if anyone also had so many tries with clomid and did the doctors persist on? Prof Wong said he wants me to try for 2 more cycles if the previous one failed, before contemplating IVF.

And any tips for trying to increase the chances of success for IUI?

I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that this round works and I don't have to do any injections for subsequent tries, cos e prev gynae said i have a very high risk of OHSS and with the prev episode, i really dread the bloating and the risk of bleeding again :(

Hi veraine, welcome!!

I'm just concerned that you were on clomid for more than 6 cycles. In fact I heard can't be on clomid for more than 6 cycles as your uterus lining will be thinning. Perhaps if you have chance, pl check w your doctor?

I tried clomid once but didn't work for me! Thereafter I was put on SO-IUI full injectables for the first round, while second SO-IUI on Letrozole and injectables. In fact, I felt injectable is better for me as I can see the effect (given that clomid doesn't work for me). I have confident w my gynae so I am not worry about OHSS and can take egg whites to reduce bloatedness.

Thanks h0pefulyuki. Just sian cos hb has an upcoming overseas biz trip and worry may clash. I din want to freeze spermies cos scared cant survive thaw furthur reducing chance. Waiting for review now .. lining 3mm and abit of fluid ..duno wad dat means. Heard got small folly on my left. Given all clear to start my 2nd cycle. Did u bd as well after iui? Read dat u were on gonal f .. doc chnged mine from purgeon to gonal f this cycle.any difference?

Hi, great that you are given the all clear! We did once. My hubby was too tired lol. I was never on puregon so I can't tell you if there is any difference. Did you ask why they changed the meds?

So anyway, I had a scare this afternoon again. I think the stress I was in yesterday manifested itself today, and at noon, I had a little spotting. Since I had to run over to the doc to top up my meds, I decided to ask if she could see me. Luckily she wasn't that busy so I managed to see her.

She gave me a jab, told me everything was fine from the scan, just rest. But the conversation was quite funny in a motherly sense and I thought I will share it with you ladies here.

Me: so you think this is from walking again? I went shopping yesterday...
Doc: yes. You should be resting. Anyway, what's there to shop???
Me: ... But I was aching from bed rest and too much sitting ma... So I thought a bit of walking might help...
Doc: you just rest, nothing is more important than the peanut. Just to be on safe side, I am going to give you an injection. It will hurt a bit... But oh, you have experienced it before already...
Me: orh...
Doc: so I see you in 2 weeks' time. I should see you every 2 weeks, then after next appointment, we can start to discuss about the Down's syndrome tests and all ok?
Me: oh ok, I've been reading quite a fair bit about it.
Doc: please la, go and watch movies, don't read anymore, understand???
Me: Er...
Doc: go and watch movies. NO MORE READING for you.
Me: ok...
Doc: you are doing very well, doing great! So I'll see you in 2 weeks' time! Stay happy ok?

So ya, no more reading for me. I might just stay away from the forum a little also, cos my hubby almost wants me to surrender the iPad to him le...

I might pop in here and there, or maybe when my next appointment rolls by.

Good luck, girls!

Anyone cycling in march? Im due for my 1st scan on wed.. body tolerated gonal F far better than puregon. Less bloating as well as less crampings and almost no flushing but more backache. But im far more contented to have more backache than other side effects. Taking it easy as well. Din really restrict my diet ..continued on with gatorade as well as egg whites

Im goin for my scan this wed... hopd follicles may be able to seen with a nice measurements..

Hv been drinkin red bean soup lately.. hope it works!!!

Good luck!!! :)

Anyone cycling in march? Im due for my 1st scan on wed.. body tolerated gonal F far better than puregon. Less bloating as well as less crampings and almost no flushing but more backache. But im far more contented to have more backache than other side effects. Taking it easy as well. Din really restrict my diet ..continued on with gatorade as well as egg whites

Hi can I know why need Gatorade?

Hmm did the doc tell u to take Gatorade while on the injections? Just to be conservative, too much Gatorade may cause other issues like too much vitamin A, etc. it can help to replenish the electrolytes but I've only heard of people taking it after the trigger shot.

I wished I knew about that earlier. I drank diluted Gatorade to alleviate my OHSS symptoms after I was hospitalized cos the water was going into the 3rd space and I needed them back where they are supposed to be. Although the doctor didn't say that Gatorade would affect my liver enzymes, I thought the interaction with the antibiotics might have given me the elevated liver enzymes that caused a bit of a panic...

Especially now that we are in that delicate stage, you might want to ask the doc re Gatorade now and be super careful of energy drinks (since they usually have quite a fair bit of calories and also caffeine).

Egg whites and good proteins are good for these 2 weeks! :)

Hi can I know why need Gatorade?

Hi

Google ohss.gatorade is said to help with bloating as well as keeping the internal system in balance and minimize ohss ..I tke a sip on and off to keep the internal system in balance so dat the fluid do not tend to go into 3rd space. im like on 1 bottle for 2 to 3days and I dont drink excessively but yah ..is good to consult with doc for better advice

I guess I should share what I learnt about OHSS from my doc since I had it. Most people doing iui shouldn't have to worry about OHSS unless they are:

1) PCOS, or
2) below 35 and using injections
3) very slim (think BMI below 18.5)
4) producing lots of eggs
5) high estradiol levels from the injections - responding too well from injections
6) trigger shot of HCG done to release the eggs

OHSS occurs more frequently in IVF patients, due to the large number of eggs they have to produce. When IUI patients get it, it's usually because they are PCOS to start with and are stimulating the ovaries with higher amounts of injections in order to get a response.

If you are on clomid, your risks are super low. In fact you may not get OHSS at all.

Hi h0pefulyuki .. wads your first symptoms on ohss? I was worried suite while on 1st cycle cos I fit all of the criteria minus being pcos. And was bloating and cramping when on jabs and after iui. Far better on gonal f but was in sharp pain on my left for close to 2hours yday. u r right on stress level thing. Im taking it slower this cycle ..

Hi H0peful,

The thing was, I never had any adverse reactions while on the jabs. What was different from the 2 cycles was my dosage increased in the last week after my 1st scan. I am not below 35 and not skinny, but I was PCOS for many years. I scanned about 5-6 follies in my last 2 scans, compared to only 3 in my 1st cycle.

I was fine post IUI until about 8 or 9 days after the procedure when I started bloating badly. The stomach became very tight, like a drum, because of the bloat. Then I had trouble peeing even though I was drinking water. The pain became unbearable for me on days 11 and 12; literally crouched on bed and can't move. By then I couldn't walk up straight because the tummy was so stretched and it hurt when I tried to stand straight.

At the height of OHSS, my body looked like a balsamic vinegar bottle on legs chest down. Weight went up 3KG overnight. I couldn't walk at all, even a 70 year old lady walked faster than me. I was really lucky that the water didn't go into my lungs.

As my doc explained it, this happened cos I was PCOS, and had quite a fair bit of hcg from the jabs in my body. At the same time, the body itself is also producing large amounts of hcg due to the pregnancy, so it takes time for the body to adapt. So this manifests itself as OHSS. Oh, my ovaries swelled to 3x the original size, about 7+cm. It goes away on its own v quickly if one is not pregnant, but stays for a few weeks if one is.

Treatment wise, I was given drips to hydrate, followed by albumin drips cos the water simply wasn't going anywhere but the 3rd space. At one pt in the hospital I had 2.6l of water in the body, not passed out. Albumin serum drips made the water come back and after a day my input output levels matched. I did an aspiration similar to an amniocentesis where they poked a needle in me to draw out water. A liter was drawn out.

Like u, I read that Gatorade helped, but my liver enzymes got screwed temporarily causing some panic. I was drinking Gatorade a bottle every 3 days too. So I stopped.

My OHSS finally went off this week, about 3 weeks after I was discharged.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
One more thing re stress. It is going to be never ending. When on jabs we stress about whether the jabs are working, post IUI we stress about whether it worked. Not pregnant we stress about when we can start again, or it there something wrong with us, pregnant we stress about one million other things.

I stressed over my business, and I know at the back of my mind I kept thinking about possibilities of MC cos I had it once, and all the possibilities of Down's syndrome and etc due to our age. So I read a lot. And scared myself even further at times.

After 2 episodes of spotting, 2 jabs of progesterone, my doc told me to stop reading as I was putting undue stress on myself. Having to stress over the business is bad enough, for the pregnancy, leave it to the pros to worry for u - that was her underlying message.

So really, find something that u can relax with, go walking, go shopping, go watch movies or eat well or whatever, let the pros and nature do what they are supposed to do. What we can offer is a good oven for the bun to bake.

Chill as much as you can, my fellow IUI buddies.

h0peful and rainbowbb, i'm cycling this month also ... first scan this Friday

all the best :)

Back