Expenses for hiring maid

rainbow88

First timer, Currently considering hiring a helper to take care of my baby.

Not sure wat are the expenses involved (hiring and maintenance). Need some advice here so I will be prepared financially.

Thanks.

Hiring involves paying agent fee, documentation, insurance, prepaid salary up to 8 mths (maids' loan). Could b ard $5k+.

Gd thing levy going down to $60 in May.

Monthly expenses, be prepared utilities bill goes up. The water in their country is free n electricity is cheap.

Well for food, mostly eat a lot. Cos it's free for them. Mine finish a packet of cream crackers in 3 days, one loaf gardenia bread in one day, one packet old town coffee in 4 days. Buy cheaper alternatives, they protest by refusing to touch them n hint used to usual brands. Average $8 to $10 on food n beverages a day. Maids now not like old time ones, we need please them.

Use to be very cheap but these days is so ex. My sis spend close to $10K liao because all 3 maids come and go (some before contract end) so she quite fed up and change another agent.

I sponsor all maid stuff when I have a maid working for me. I even pay for Sanitary pad etc. I notice some family don't practice that.

Better get experienced ones who completed contracts in Sg before. Those young ones don't reli have "commitment". Can't cope then simply change employer, end up wasting our time and $. Don't even want try to adapt if when we close two eyes n give them chance.

This helper had been in sg for 4 yrs. Now is not renewing with current owner (need to handle 3 kids and do Household chores). she mentioned that got experiences with handling babies..

i am puzzled...ActuallY are we supposed to provide toiletries? Unless the maid is really fresh from their country and really no money for the 1st few months... Otherwise i dont see why do we need to sponsor their shampoo, sanitary pad etc...
To be working abroad should be realistic i feel... how can everything be free? They are also given salary ma...

Of course for food & rest, they should be given enough.

i am puzzled...ActuallY are we supposed to provide toiletries? Unless the maid is really fresh from their country and really no money for the 1st few months... Otherwise i dont see why do we need to sponsor their shampoo, sanitary pad etc...
To be working abroad should be realistic i feel... how can everything be free? They are also given salary ma...

Of course for food & rest, they should be given enough.

Mine thinks I need provide everything. Even bus fare for off day. I act blur lor. No choice I go abc budget shop. Get cheapest toiletries for her. I also have to eat cheaper food to be same like her cos to not let feel we are different.

No choice! To maintain her, I also need save n cut down on shopping. But maid always thinks we Singaporeans are rich and shortchange them

Last edited:
Please share your comments on agencies with more than $3k on placement fee (maid loan) bear by maid... Any of you have encountered and employed helpers from agents that charge so high?

I recently just got a helper from indo. The maid agency fee is around $1288. Insurance for maid is ard $299.60 and placement for loan is $1300. This agency is reliable. Previously i did hire one from another agency and i got a lousy helper. This helper currently cook at home and she cook very well. We save a lot too cause i got 3 kids. The maid salary is $590. Groceries are done weekly. And i think expenses are not that much. Cause if i put baby into infant care the cost is around there. And i got 3 kids to manage.

I would suggest to find more matured helper cause they might have own savings and will bring along their own toiletries. Mine i did ask her if she need anything but she said she have. So far i only provide her groceries to cook for us. And she eat very simple. She can have one vegetable and rice for her meal. I think more matured helper will tend to be more thrifty and better.

Back