Joanne Peh on motherhood, cravings

melvin new 871

Congrats on Joanne Peh and Qi Yuwu to have double good news in short time.

Actress Joanne Peh says she did not expect to be pregnant so soon, but that she has been ready to be a mother since playing one in Channel 8 blockbuster The Journey: Tumultuous Times.

SINGAPORE: A day after actress Joanne Peh and her actor husband Qi Yuwu announced on Wednesday (Jan 28) that they are having a baby, Peh said she has been inundated with congratulatory messages.

“We didn’t want to announce it until after the first trimester (a few days away), but somebody leaked the news to the media so we decided to announce it. Since the news broke yesterday, I’ve gotten well-wishes from my colleagues and friends. Some of them who are already mothers told me I could go to them for advice. It has been very heartwarming!

“Pan Ling Ling texted me, Hong Hui Fang texted me, Chen Hanwei also texted me. We don’t keep in contact regularly but they still dropped me a message. I’m really touched by their gesture,” said Peh in a phone interview with Channel NewsAsia.

HAPPY MUM-TO-BE

The actress sounded happy and contented as she shared her thoughts on becoming a mother, and said that although they planned to have a child, she and Qi did not expect to have one quite so soon after their low-key marriage last September.

“We said we were going to let nature take its course. We stuck by that. I guess nature just took a faster course,” said Peh, bursting into laughter.

“I suppose everything happens for a reason. I’ve been very ready to be a mum ever since I started filming The Journey: Tumultuous Times." She played a mother of two in the Channel 8 blockbuster series. "I enjoyed that role very much. Having two children who I can love unconditionally was such a liberating feeling for me,” said the actress.

“Now that I am actually going to be a mother, I am happy and excited. But if you ask me if I am fully prepared, I can only say you can never be fully prepared! There is so much to learn, so much to know. But I am taking my time to find out!”

When asked about their future plans, Peh said there are many things she and Qi have not decided on yet.

“You can plan all you want but you just never know! The delivery is probably going to be in Singapore, but whether we are going to be staying put here, or whether the first few years I am going to be somewhere else, we really don’t know."

The couple had previously announced that they planned to hold a wedding banquet this year, but with a baby on the way, whether it will happen is up in the air. “I mean, people asked us about our wedding banquet and all that. But you can plan all you want and look what happened. Some things have to be put on hold, but maybe the banquet will still happen. We don’t know,” said Peh.

CHANGING CRAVINGS

The 31-year-old actress said she has not experienced any nausea so far, but said she has felt strong cravings.

“I used to crave local food like Hokkien Mee and Chicken Rice. Then I didn’t want it anymore and I liked sandwiches - for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The smell of butter and bread is heavenly! And then that phase passed, and I started to crave 'lap cheong fan' (Chinese sausage and rice), food that I wouldn’t eat previously. The next time we meet, maybe I’ll crave something else.”

One thing has remained constant - the couple's views on raising children.

“I think in terms of disciplining the child and our belief on how to bring up the child, we are quite similar. We’ll both try to impart our positive traits to our child. The most important thing we both agree on is that a child needs to have the chance to be a child and have play time.

“We don’t want to stress them out, or treat them like adults too soon. I think at that age, they should be free to play, explore and discover things about the world around them, after they learn the basic skills.”

They have no preference for gender either. “It really doesn’t matter if it’s a boy or a girl. I just want the kid to be healthy, happy. That’s the most important thing. Boy or girl, we’ll love the child all the same.”

1965 CONGRATULATES THE HAPPY COUPLE

In a Facebook post, the cast and crew of film 1965 - starring both Qi and Peh - congratulated the couple and shared a picture of them celebrating Qi's birthday before they broke the news.

Happy moments on set. Joanne Peh celebrating Qi Yuwu's birthday with the cast and crew. Then knowing they are expecting their first child. Now that this happy news is announced, we all congratulate the couple again and wish them the very best.

Attachments

• 10349001_323954317797640_2102903247625642715_n.jpg
    10349001_323954317797640_2102903247625642715_n.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,458

Back