Is it normal for a 1.5 yo child still not able to walk on her own?

LuvCheese

I'm a bit worried as my niece is still not able to walk on her own at 1.5 yo. Does anyone came across kids who can only walk on their own at a later age, after 1.5 yo?

Hi @LuvCheese , it is probably not very common.. but afterall every kid has their own developmental stages and paces. I've a friend whose kid walk better at 18 months..
If worried, can go to a PD and have a check?

Thanks Jessy for sharing. Seen a PD and everything seems fine, guess probably her pace is a bit slow, and we are monitoring closely.

i agree, @astromum ! kids tend to give surprises! hahaha..

i think environment is quite important. my friend kept bringing the kid to indoor playground and shopping malls that are less crowded for her to move around. space seems to be important for them at this stage..

my son is coming to 15m and still walking on support, unable to stand still.
He refuse to walk when we hold both his hands, he rather crawl. Faster.
I think he is basically lazy, and lacking of confidence.

My nephew, a chinese-mix, starts to be able to walk properly and support himself ard 18-19 mo, I think your niece just a little slow on that.

As many has suggested, she might be a bit lazy or lack of confidence. I think the parents should "encourage" them and try to walk with them more often to kick-start the child's motivation to walk by himself/herself.

Another thing, does her parents always carry her everywhere she goes? Maybe that's the reason your niece still can't walk on her own? Just a though.

No need panic. Why 1.5 years must able to walk or run? Most parents are so kiasu. Every kid has their own nature and needs time to learn.

Some children don't walk until they're 16 or 17 months old, and that's still perfectly normal. If your baby was a little late learning to roll over and crawl, chances are he'll need a few extra weeks or months for walking as well. The important thing is the progression of skills as long as he keeps learning new things, you shouldn't be so concerned. :)

Actually yes crawling is more important than walking. It strengthens the spine which is very crucial, and also helps to build a more balanced brain. But if by 18 months your child is not walking perhaps can seek doctor for advice? his core muscles need to be developed i think. Bring him to indoor playground and see other kids move about, hopefully he would be more keen to walk and move about when he sees other kids doing it

Please see the date of this thread. Its almost 20 months ago. The child is definitely probably running and jumping now. The mom also said seen PD so .....
Please closed this thread.

Back