How to let smokers know that they need to wash their hands before carrying newborn?

Hi mummies,

I need some advise on how you can let smokers know that they need to wash their hands and get rid of the smoke smell before touch, carry, getting near to newborn baby? Of course in a way that that they don't feel offended (especially in-laws).

PS: I know newborn baby does not have very strong immune system but I just want to prevent whatever I can.

Thank you in advance.

I think u can just tell your hb casually in front of them and say "wash hand hor before carry baby" then turn to them and say "so many virus nowadays and bb is still so small, better be safe than sorry"

Somemore smoke smell :confused::confused:

hi sane.

thank you for your advice. i did told my hub about it cause he himself also smoker. moreover, i get really uncomfortable whenever the smell get near me (he knows).

its just my in law which i have difficulties communicating with them (even my hub have problems). they just won't listen, even they do here said ok behind do it which i get pissed off very easily (not the first time; moreover im very straightforward). sigh..

hi sane.

thank you for your advice. i did told my hub about it cause he himself also smoker. moreover, i get really uncomfortable whenever the smell get near me (he knows).

its just my in law which i have difficulties communicating with them (even my hub have problems). they just won't listen, even they do here said ok behind do it which i get pissed off very easily (not the first time; moreover im very straightforward). sigh..
I understand cause I really hate that smell too.
Like old folks (ah ma), she smoke rolled ciggies (even worse) and she hug and kiss my gal. I nagged her to quit smoking many times and she knows I hate smoke.
Everytime okok but smoke behind me.

There's nothing that we can really do. :confused:

if its own family members or own relatives, its much easier to tell. but my in law i find it really hopeless, they are not like very old early 50s only. Just like during my 1st trimester, i was sitting at coffeeshop (non smokig area) she was smoking and just came straight to my table and looking for his son. But the smell is really that bad that i start throwing up so i told her can you please don't smoke here i cannot take the smell. She gave me a black face! Then always smoke in front of me. from then onwards i just go one side stand.

I think the baby should not even come in contact with the smoker in the first place. No way I would let the smoker carry my baby :eek:

I think the baby should not even come in contact with the smoker in the first place. No way I would let the smoker carry my baby :eek:
Yeah i know. My hub is a smoker. :( Ask him quit = killing him. i felt like i cant protect her even before she is out.

but i am very glad that my friends who smoke is very understanding.

Put the sanitizer at the front door. Before entering your house must sanitize first regardless will be carrying baby or not.

I will definitely do that. Even when I wasn't pregnant, I can't even stand the smoke smell, it just get worst now tho. I wish I cld just pour the whole bottle of sanitizer on their body

Make EVERYONE wash. Then smokers also have no choice but to wash as well. You can say like baby skin is a bit sensitive and has a rash or just recovered from a rash so "we're a bit particular about washing at the moment. Thanks for understanding."

Personally I find those who smokes in presence of children is rude. Just my opinion ah.

I agree with oceanbaby, a lil lie just to protect our kids is definitely necessary.

But in the end, there's so much that we can do. Just hope our kids immune system is strong.

Personally I find those who smokes in presence of children is rude. Just my opinion ah.

I agree with oceanbaby, a lil lie just to protect our kids is definitely necessary.

But in the end, there's so much that we can do. Just hope our kids immune system is strong.
I agreed to what you guys said. But not all smokers are understanding. I only hope I can my little girl immune system is strong.

Hmmm... I have a point to make, though... Sanitizers generally kills bacteria and germs.

But, what you are trying to rid off the smoker's hands, is really the smell = the traces or nicotine, tar, and tobacco. I'm not sure if sanitizing does anything to it. Whereas, washing with soap and water might rid more of it... Also, instead of the transfer traces from hands to clothes/skin, what might be more damaging is the breathing in the smells of the tobacco, tar, and nicotine!!

Anyway, my solution to you is this. DILs are usually not good enough to give advice or tell people what to do. Therefore, you should always quote the doctor. Go to the pediatrician for routine check up. And when you come back home, find a way to blurt out all the doctor's comments e.g. "wah, the doctor said she smell baby like got cigarette smell! DOCTOR said, smoking is very bad for the baby lungs. DOCTOR said, will increase chances of getting asthma. DOCTOR said, must wash hands before carrying children. DOCTOR said, dun smoke in the house that got babies because all the poison will stay on the toys and furniture and bed. DOCTOR said... DOCTOR said...."

I believe that a smoker must wash his/her hands thoroughly and also sanitize his/her hands with sanitizers and also change their clothes before carrying a baby as smoker have their smell no matter how hard they wash their hands, the smell will be there.
I totally agree with frog.

Hi,

I was in similar situation a year ago.. When I moved back to my inlaws place after confinement at my parents, my inlaws whole family smoke except my hubby. And they smoke indoors! I told my hubby to tell them before I was moving back to not smoke in the house when I'm back cos we have a young child at home. I don't know if my hubby did tell them or not but they still smoke in the house when I moved back. I was very upset about it. Me and my hubby quarreled so many times over it. He said I was being paranoid about it which made me more upset. He grew up this way with his parents smoking in the house doesn't mean my daughter has to grow up in such environment.

My inlaws always like to smoke in the common toilet then after coming out from the toilet never close the door so the smoke goes into our room. So suffocating even for myself let alone a baby. The funny thing is that they always smoke after they come back from outside which I don't understand why they can't smoke before they come back! So comes the washing part, I did ask my hubby to tell them to sanitize their hands before carrying but they also just ignore and continue touching my girl's hand and try to carry her. There was a few times my fil touch her hands alr I just use wet wipe to wipe my daughter's hand in front of my hubby.

For now, I have moved back to my parents place cos I was tired of all those nonsense they were giving me. I find old smokers very self centered only think about their urge to smoke. Never think about others. I endured their smoking in the house throughout my whole pregnancy.

That's terrible!! Secondhand smoke is much more dangerous than firsthand smoke. Please tell them to spare a thought for your baby. Nothing wrong with smoking - it's your own body anyway - but not in front of the baby.

Maybe you can show them some statistics about the dangers of putting infants around smokers? I am sure there are studies about it on the Internet.

Hmmm... I have a point to make, though... Sanitizers generally kills bacteria and germs.

But, what you are trying to rid off the smoker's hands, is really the smell = the traces or nicotine, tar, and tobacco. I'm not sure if sanitizing does anything to it. Whereas, washing with soap and water might rid more of it... Also, instead of the transfer traces from hands to clothes/skin, what might be more damaging is the breathing in the smells of the tobacco, tar, and nicotine!!

Anyway, my solution to you is this. DILs are usually not good enough to give advice or tell people what to do. Therefore, you should always quote the doctor. Go to the pediatrician for routine check up. And when you come back home, find a way to blurt out all the doctor's comments e.g. "wah, the doctor said she smell baby like got cigarette smell! DOCTOR said, smoking is very bad for the baby lungs. DOCTOR said, will increase chances of getting asthma. DOCTOR said, must wash hands before carrying children. DOCTOR said, dun smoke in the house that got babies because all the poison will stay on the toys and furniture and bed. DOCTOR said... DOCTOR said...."

i like your quoting "DOCTOR SAID"! make me laugh~

Hi,

I was in similar situation a year ago.. When I moved back to my inlaws place after confinement at my parents, my inlaws whole family smoke except my hubby. And they smoke indoors! I told my hubby to tell them before I was moving back to not smoke in the house when I'm back cos we have a young child at home. I don't know if my hubby did tell them or not but they still smoke in the house when I moved back. I was very upset about it. Me and my hubby quarreled so many times over it. He said I was being paranoid about it which made me more upset. He grew up this way with his parents smoking in the house doesn't mean my daughter has to grow up in such environment.

My inlaws always like to smoke in the common toilet then after coming out from the toilet never close the door so the smoke goes into our room. So suffocating even for myself let alone a baby. The funny thing is that they always smoke after they come back from outside which I don't understand why they can't smoke before they come back! So comes the washing part, I did ask my hubby to tell them to sanitize their hands before carrying but they also just ignore and continue touching my girl's hand and try to carry her. There was a few times my fil touch her hands alr I just use wet wipe to wipe my daughter's hand in front of my hubby.

For now, I have moved back to my parents place cos I was tired of all those nonsense they were giving me. I find old smokers very self centered only think about their urge to smoke. Never think about others. I endured their smoking in the house throughout my whole pregnancy.

i totally feel you! :( i don't like to stay at my in-laws' place, they always smoke non-stop. Whenever I see them, they are always holding on to their cigarette. Same as what your in-laws do. My hub and me stayed at my parent's place ever since before we married. only occasionally, we will stay at his place (before married) but after numbers of incident over wedding stuffs, I don't feel comfortable to stay at his place anymore especially when his dad asked for rental money (S$600/- per month). We moved back after day 2 of wedding. My goodness, due to financial issue that's why we choose to stay at parent house for time being yet ... he even said you go out people also charge you this price. I was like super boiled but need to control control ! (fyi, the room does not provide us bed, aircon, internet, tv, etc). oh we even paint the room our self.

they're too self-centered and money minded. Even my parent (non-smoker) don't treat my sis-in-laws this way beside my mom super naggy.

That's terrible!! Secondhand smoke is much more dangerous than firsthand smoke. Please tell them to spare a thought for your baby. Nothing wrong with smoking - it's your own body anyway - but not in front of the baby.

Maybe you can show them some statistics about the dangers of putting infants around smokers? I am sure there are studies about it on the Internet.

There is. but they don't care. to them, I always like that what you don't like it its your problems. I told my dad I am staying home even after confinement till my rental house is ready~ :)

RebbyRebecca - Sometimes, People tend to be ridiculous and no matter how many times you let them know that you cant smoke indoors due to the baby. As its risking the baby health. But they don't just understand the side effects for the baby.

RebbyRebecca - Sometimes, People tend to be ridiculous and no matter how many times you let them know that you cant smoke indoors due to the baby. As its risking the baby health. But they don't just understand the side effects for the baby.
): yeah. sigh. how man! roar at them like a lion!

My dad and bro smoke in the house and I really hate it too :( I tried telling them about how bad the second hand smoke is to pregnant woman but still nothing changes. Now I resort to closing my room door (hide inside) every time I see them smoking and I also bought an air filter for my room. Hopefully it reduces the amount the bad air I take in.

My bro smokes and he always washes his hands after smoking. My son loves go follow him ard but he will shoo him off telling him that he is smoking dont go near him and he only smoke in the kitchen near window. My fil also smokes but he will go outside the hse to smoke whenever we go his hse.

I really dont uds why some ppl can be so inconsiderate. They can choose to smoke as much as they want but they shd not expect ppl (esp babies) to accept their 2nd hand smoke. Moreover is their own grandchildren. Anw i like frog's idea by using the 'doctor method'. And it is true that kids who get in contact with smokers tend to fall sick easily, esp for those whose have lower immunity.

Aiyo why all these people so bad one. I stop smoking early Jan, not cuz pple ask me, cuz I myself want. Prior to that, when my nephew was newborn, everytime I come back home, I make sure I brush my teeth and wash my hands and face before carrying him. Even now he big boy, I still do that if I smoke outside. Lucky my brothers and dad don't smoke in the house. Even my good friends and I, got the some of their kids ard, they smoke far2 away from the kids.

Abt all you pple problem, stubborn old people & those inconsiderate ones who are too used to the smoking lifestyle really hard to convince lah. Sometimes, you cant say much to them but action speaks louder then words. If they dont care abt ur & baby's feelings, why should you be considerate abt theirs? One good way is to continuously nag abt what doctor says (like a comment above), another is to be overly dramatic when they smoke in front of you. It depends on your personality & relationship with these people, depends on your will to do this (esp with those who are domineering over you type), you might or might not get them to think. Over time, they might actually do something abt it. But all the best lah to you all with this problem.

I believe its a common sense to smoke far away from kids when smoking. Its a basic respect from these kids because we know that smoking is injurious to our health.

If u read properly, apparently it's not common sense for some. We're dealing with the people of different sets of common sense then us here.

Back