Going back to work right after confinement?

shiyilau

at my baby shower, boss asked if i could go back to work asap and slowly clear the rest of the 12weeks of ML.. does anyone have experience in this?

Policy wise, if your child is a Singapore Citizen, you and your husband are lawfully married; and you have worked for employer for at least 3 months before the child's birth, you are entitled to absent yourself from work four weeks immediately before and 12 weeks immediately after delivery, totalling 16 weeks.
Where there is a mutual agreement with your employer, you can take the last eight weeks (9th to 16th week) of maternity leave flexibly over a 12-month period from the child's birth. The number of days of maternity leave that can be taken flexibly is equivalent to eight weeks' worth of working days, up to a maximum of 48 days. Hence, if I am to interprete this, you may only clear 8 weeks flexibly over the next twelve months, and not 12 weeks. I am not sure if there will be implications to the company, eg violations of the Child Development Co-savings Act, if you go back immediately after the 4th week. It is better to get your HR to find out and give you a reply in black and white.

The first 8 weeks of ML is to take consecutively... You can take the rest of 8 weeks over the next 1yr...

Back