Scanning Between 5 to 6 weeks

Andy&Dina

Dear All,
My wife had a HCG bloodtest on 11 Dec 2014. Her initial reading indicated that she is was about 5 weeks pregnant. Another schedule of HCG was fixed on 13 Dec 2014,which is 2 days later. An increment of 80% was revealed on the 2nd test, the norm was a double or more reading, as such we were quite worried. She even indicated that the pregnancy may be an ectopic one.Folic acid were prescribe on the first day of visit as well.

We were referred to a 2nd gynae as the initial one will be on a long holiday.

We went to the 2nd gynae on 15th Dec,there after going thru the previous information, the gynae suggested to do a viginal scan to double check. The scan revealed that the pregnancy is definetly not an ectopic one.Thus, no HCG blood test was done again as its a very obvious scan with positive results. We were so relieved. The next appt is on 26 Dec. Now,it was calculated that my wife is in her 5 weeks and 2 days of pregnancy. She indicated that we may be able to see the baby's heartbeat on the next appt.

On 26 Dec, we went for the scan. This time round, the gynae indicated that there is growth of the sac and yolk size. However,its not growing that fast via a virginal scan. A second look indicated that there is a "blinking" light/shadow on the monitor screen. She indicated that this is a very mild hearbeat,meaning that the baby is not feeding as fast as should be. She further indicated that she dont consider this as a failed pregnancy. Blood pressure , urine test were taken and all is normal.

She further prescribe "progresterone" pills until our next visit which is on 3rd jan 2015.

My wife does not encounter any form of morning sickness or spotting during this whole period. She do feel nauseous at times in the evening and also experience fatigue quite often.

Does anyone have a similiar experience to share? Or is there any advise that will be helpful is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Dear All,
My wife had a HCG bloodtest on 11 Dec 2014. Her initial reading indicated that she is was about 5 weeks pregnant. Another schedule of HCG was fixed on 13 Dec 2014,which is 2 days later. An increment of 80% was revealed on the 2nd test, the norm was a double or more reading, as such we were quite worried. She even indicated that the pregnancy may be an ectopic one.Folic acid were prescribe on the first day of visit as well.

We went to the 2nd gynae on 15th Dec,there after going thru the previous information, the gynae suggested to do a viginal scan to double check. The scan revealed that the pregnancy is definetly not an ectopic one.Thus, no HCG blood test was done again as its a very obvious scan with positive results. We were so relieved. The next appt is on 26 Dec. Now,it was calculated that my wife is in her 5 weeks and 2 days of pregnancy. She indicated that we may be able to see the baby's heartbeat on the next appt.

On 26 Dec, we went for the scan. This time round, the gynae indicated that there is growth of the sac and yolk size. However,its not growing that fast via a virginal scan. A second look indicated that there is a "blinking" light/shadow on the monitor screen. She indicated that this is a very mild hearbeat,meaning that the baby is not feeding as fast as should be. She further indicated that she dont consider this as a failed pregnancy. Blood pressure , urine test were taken and all is normal.

She further prescribe "progresterone" pills until our next visit which is on 3rd jan 2015.

My wife does not encounter any form of morning sickness or spotting during this whole period. She do feel nauseous at times in the evening and also experience fatigue quite often.

Does anyone have a similiar experience to share? Or is there any advise that will be helpful is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Hi there,

I experienced somewhat a similar experience but i was already 8 weeks and they could only see an empty sac..which shouldnt be the case cos should at least have a yolk or heartbeat detected. and a few days later i was spotting blood. I had no morning sickness also but my pregnancy kit and urine test showed that i was positively pregnant. Things didnt turn out well for me as the spotting turned to heavy bleeding and cramps. That pregnancy wasnt viable and i passed the tissue days after naturally after being warded at KK. Not to scare u and ur wife but if there's any indication of blood..do not ignore it.

As yours already has a yolk and a flickering heartbeat..it sounds more promising than my case. So hang in there and have faith! if possible rest adequately and replenish your body with nutrients.

If things take a turn for the worse just be prepared. Cos really there is nothing we can do to stop our body from dispelling whats not meant to be. I was crushed but after recovering i managed to conceive again the month after and now im at 35weeks already.

So hang in there ya, hope things take a good turn for you & ur wife! *cross fingers*

Hi Andy&Dina.

Sorry that you have to read about someone's unpleasant past ordeal here which is not close similar to yours. You should be filled with nothing but positive thoughts from here.

Since your gynae is still giving you hope on this pregnancy, continue to pray and stay positive. Your wifey seems to be experiencing all good signs.

I know you're wary about this but it's really all about just waiting for the next scan and keep the progesterone going and stay cheery and continue talking to your beanie and of course, prayers. To be honest, even if one sees a healthy heartbeat, the waiting for the next scan is always full of anxiety as we never know what comes next. It's part of the package once bfp is confirmed :)

Good luck.

Hi Andy&Dina.

Sorry that you have to read about someone's unpleasant past ordeal here which is not close similar to yours. You should be filled with nothing but positive thoughts from here.

Since your gynae is still giving you hope on this pregnancy, continue to pray and stay positive. Your wifey seems to be experiencing all good signs.

I know you're wary about this but it's really all about just waiting for the next scan and keep the progesterone going and stay cheery and continue talking to your beanie and of course, prayers. To be honest, even if one sees a healthy heartbeat, the waiting for the next scan is always full of anxiety as we never know what comes next. It's part of the package once bfp is confirmed :)

Good luck.

Im sharing my 'unpleasant' experience because its realistic. I know positivity is the way to go but sometimes we gotta be realistic. Shit can happen and im just sharing what is the worse that could happen. Im not saying it will but it if it does...what to look out for. So i think you are being insensitive by quoting that i shared an unpleasant ordeal like its not welcomed here. You could have gone ahead and post your 'positive' comments without putting others down. Cos thats low. And i never insinuated anything negative towards them or ill wishes so don't assume that my unpleasant experience is not worth sharing.

In this world of pregnancy and motherhood, i think its nice to be supportive and share insights. Good or bad. So please don't demean what others share..im sure being a woman you had a fair share of hard times during your pregnancy journey. So please spare a thought not to be insensitive to others while riding on your high horse of being the better person in advising others. I only had good intentions to share.

Last edited:
Since there's a heartbeat, it should be okay. In early stage of pregnancy, heartbeat may not be that strong. You will need to check back again in another week or so to confirm. Hang in there!

I had a very stressful time in the early months too. Place your hand on your tummy and keep telling your baby to be strong. :)

Yes I did/do have my hardships on ttc.

And the focus of this thread is to giving Andy&Dina the positivity they need most at this point. So, that's my intention. I just do not agree they have to read about MC when it's actually a happy post.

Hope to hear more good news again in Jan, Andy&Dina.

Dear All, thank you for all your advises. Firstly,I would like to say everyone of you here have your valid points. I know Sfnaz have her good intentions to let us know what are all the possible outcome and also Redvel for your sense of positivity. Both of you meant good from the bottom of your heart...so ha...relax okie...
BBtessa, I am Andy posting here...whenever i place my hand on my tummy,i feel is getting bigger....hahaha...kidding,
Anyway, thank you all, we will keep an open mind to all possible occurance and of course, pray for the best. I am still remaining hopeful at this point intime, but you all know, certain things are beyond our control and we must accept whatver the outcome is.

To have a better idea,the gynae rept on our last visit ( 5 weeks 5 days +/- 10 days ) states the following comments :" TV scan,IUP uterus anteverted,no fluid in POD,gestational sac increases in size,Yolk sac seen,flicker of FH seen,unable to visualise FP well.Progresterone support,re-scan in 1 to 1.5 weeks time. "

Hope the above gives a better idea.
Once again, thank you all for taking your time off to advise me on this,,,,,truely appreciate.

Dear All, thank you for all your advises. Firstly,I would like to say everyone of you here have your valid points. I know Sfnaz have her good intentions to let us know what are all the possible outcome and also Redvel for your sense of positivity. Both of you meant good from the bottom of your heart...so ha...relax okie...
BBtessa, I am Andy posting here...whenever i place my hand on my tummy,i feel is getting bigger....hahaha...kidding,
Anyway, thank you all, we will keep an open mind to all possible occurance and of course, pray for the best. I am still remaining hopeful at this point intime, but you all know, certain things are beyond our control and we must accept whatver the outcome is.

To have a better idea,the gynae rept on our last visit ( 5 weeks 5 days +/- 10 days ) states the following comments :" TV scan,IUP uterus anteverted,no fluid in POD,gestational sac increases in size,Yolk sac seen,flicker of FH seen,unable to visualise FP well.Progresterone support,re-scan in 1 to 1.5 weeks time. "

Hope the above gives a better idea.
Once again, thank you all for taking your time off to advise me on this,,,,,truely appreciate.

Thanks for understanding my intentions. Whatever it is, my best wishes for you two! The heartbeat shows that the baby is in there, so yupp i agree with BBtessa, talk to him/her...sayang2 the baby. :)

Yes I did/do have my hardships on ttc.

And the focus of this thread is to giving Andy&Dina the positivity they need most at this point. So, that's my intention. I just do not agree they have to read about MC when it's actually a happy post.

Hope to hear more good news again in Jan, Andy&Dina.

Agree about the positivity. If your focus is to solely give just happy positive vibes then thats the way you do it. Everyone is entitled to their way of expressing their advise. My style is practicality and personal sharing. So you don't get to determine if other peoples' comments are invalid just because you think the focus of this thread is what you assume it to be. Its harsh in my opinion and im offended.

And just to point out, this isn't just a happy post. Its a concerned post. They are concerned about certain things. They need advise and scenarios.

Peace!

Dear All,

Best Regards
I tested with pregnancy kit but it showed only very faded faint line which is like almost invisible.
When there was brown discharge, I went to KK O&G, there's clear double lines on the pregnancy kit but the ultrascan shows nothing.
I took the HCG test, they called me on the same day asking me to return for a detailed scan because the HCG results are high and they feared that it might be a ectopic pregnancy.
After 30 mins of detailed scanning, only a empty sac could be seen with no yolk.
I was told to return a week later for a scan, this time they could detect the yolk but no heartbeat.
After I returned from a overseas trip, there's heavy brown discharge and I also felt so sick with very bad morning sickness and I went to the O&G immediately , this time they could detect the strong heartbeat, she even let us hear it.
This pregnancy comes with plenty of turbulences, just not long ago I felt a gush of discharge and to my horror, it's bleeding with blood clots. If not, made me down with very morning sickness.
Luckily the baby is fine but the bleeding continue for a few days.
I was asked to leave the job but not a bad thing too, I can stay home and have a good rest.

Similar case, had a scan at 6wks and only can see a empty sac. Doc suspected it might be ectopic and requested to come back 1 week later. See no point going every week and get worried and burnt your pocket. We went for an overseas holiday and only gone back for a scan on 9wks. The doc looked unhappy. In early stage of pregnancy, there is nothing we can control. If the baby is meant to be yours, it is yours. Now my boy is 6mths plus and delivered at full term with no complication.

Similar case, had a scan at 6wks and only can see a empty sac. Doc suspected it might be ectopic and requested to come back 1 week later. See no point going every week and get worried and burnt your pocket. We went for an overseas holiday and only gone back for a scan on 9wks. The doc looked unhappy. In early stage of pregnancy, there is nothing we can control. If the baby is meant to be yours, it is yours. Now my boy is 6mths plus and delivered at full term with no complication.
Haha true, life goes on and I do my stuff as usual, shop, eat, work, watch movies.
There's nothing much that the gynae can do except to prescibe duphaston. Nowadays they don't encourage bedrest too, used to give a week mc. Now they say bedrest won't help.

Dear all, sorry for the late reply. Strangely, I got no email alerts whenever an advise is posted here. Its until today that I logged on that I saw the additional advices from all of u.

First an foremost, please allow me to wish all of you here a wonderful and happy new year, may 2015 bring endless happiness and peacefulness to you all.
Just an update, my wife and me will be visiting the gynae this morning...of course we hope to hear a positive news, but I assured my wife that whatever the outcome is, we will take it positively and we will stand by each other.

Apparently, she had a mild spotting on Friday evening, this is her very first time, occurred to the size of a 5 cents coin. Besides that, she felt really tired and moodless after the consumption of progresterone each night, I urged her to remain positive, eat well, rest well and stay in a happy mood and not to thing negatively. We did what we could and the rest is up to nature. We chose to remain positive and accept the fact on whatever outcome it may be on our visit to the gynae this morning.

Once again, many thanx to all of you that meant well. Your good intentions are truly heartfelt. Despite we are communicating via this forum and had yet to meet before, we can feel there is true love and good intentions amongst all you.

Thank You
Best Regards
Andy Teo

Dear all, sorry for the late reply. Strangely, I got no email alerts whenever an advise is posted here. Its until today that I logged on that I saw the additional advices from all of u.

First an foremost, please allow me to wish all of you here a wonderful and happy new year, may 2015 bring endless happiness and peacefulness to you all.
Just an update, my wife and me will be visiting the gynae this morning...of course we hope to hear a positive news, but I assured my wife that whatever the outcome is, we will take it positively and we will stand by each other.

Apparently, she had a mild spotting on Friday evening, this is her very first time, occurred to the size of a 5 cents coin. Besides that, she felt really tired and moodless after the consumption of progresterone each night, I urged her to remain positive, eat well, rest well and stay in a happy mood and not to thing negatively. We did what we could and the rest is up to nature. We chose to remain positive and accept the fact on whatever outcome it may be on our visit to the gynae this morning.

Once again, many thanx to all of you that meant well. Your good intentions are truly heartfelt. Despite we are communicating via this forum and had yet to meet before, we can feel there is true love and good intentions amongst all you.

Thank You
Best Regards
Andy Teo

Prayers and best wishes for u and wife. May the visit tmr bring good news for u both! Stay positive! :)

Dear All,
We went for the regular gynae check this morning. At least, there is a closure to this chapter and we can move on rather then hanging on in the air. After scanning and seeking a second opinion, it was revealed that the pregnancy is an blighted ovum. Going for a day surgery this coming Monday. We hope for the best and we did what ever we could , maybe this time round, just leave it to chance, or simply put it as bad luck.
We will move on positively from here and once again, many thanks to all of you here for your moral support.

Regards
Andy

Sorry to hear that. I was hopeful for you but we all know some things are out of our control.

I believe you are totally there for your wifey who needs you most. It is a challenging phase for you both but most importantly now is you both have each other to hold dearly.

God has crafted his path for us... Let's keep going with faith. Cheers.

Hi, I am experiencing the same thing now, blighted ovum.

May I know should I wait for it to discharge naturally or go for d&c?

@june2012 hi, the last time I had blighted ovum, gynae inserted pills and within hours, it was discharged. Consult your Gynae what's the best option for you.
Take care

You should seek your doc's advice.

For me, I was told it would pass out naturally. And so it did. No medication needed.

Dear All,
We went for the regular gynae check this morning. At least, there is a closure to this chapter and we can move on rather then hanging on in the air. After scanning and seeking a second opinion, it was revealed that the pregnancy is an blighted ovum. Going for a day surgery this coming Monday. We hope for the best and we did what ever we could , maybe this time round, just leave it to chance, or simply put it as bad luck.
We will move on positively from here and once again, many thanks to all of you here for your moral support.

Regards
Andy

Hi.. sorry to hear that.. If possible do a mini confinement for ur wife to re-adjust the body condition. Take care

Hi, I am experiencing the same thing now, blighted ovum.

May I know should I wait for it to discharge naturally or go for d&c?

Hi June.. due to my work nature I can't afford to wait for it to discharge and hence I opted for a day surgery.. I've a friend who waited for it to discharge but she told me it's kinda painful. Nevertheless do take care of ur health and body after the procedure

I was told by my pte gynae that I possibility have a long period cycle so although we thought I am 8-9 weeks now based on last cycle but scan only show abt 5-6 weeks based on size measurement. Couple of days after his appt I experienced very slight bleeding/spotting and went to kkh o&g and an indian gynae attended to me but was so rough when she did the vscan on me (she seems to be in a rush). my bleeding kind of increased after scanned by her and the next day, there was a one-time gush of blood (and some clots) like menses 1st day. I freaked out and revisited kkh o&g again and was crying on my way there.

the male doc at kkh did a belly scan but said he couldn't see anything so end up have to do the dreadful vscan again but he was so much better than the female doctor. he said he don't see so much blood inside me and my womb wall lining is still closed so perhaps the bleeding/clot I saw is not the baby. he can only prescribe me duphaston for 2 weeks and monitor after tt if baby grows further. it has been 2-3 days I'm on that hormone pills(I don't experience any side effects or MS) and still very light bleeding/spotting but very dark-deep color (like menses ending color) with dull abdominal cramps. im not sure if its old blood or something else I should be worried of :(

Hi neptuneunice,

I suggest you go back to your own gynae for advice and further checkup. It's best to go back to your own gynae (for any future emergencies) as he/she will have your history.

My gynae clinic is at TMC so if his clinic is closed for the day I can still proceed to the 24hr clinic in the hospital and the doc in attendance will call for your gynae if the circumstance at hand is more than he can handle.

Wish you a safe pregnancy. God bless

thanks dear, I feel better now and trying to stay positive. kkh scheduled me for a follow up visit next week which is exactly 2 weeks after that first bleeding encounter. I only managed to get dr tham first appt on mid june. I don't know whether should I go kkh since they have my records or tahan until dr tham first visit which is 3 weeks from now (but I may have to explain the story all over again)

thanks dear, I feel better now and trying to stay positive. kkh scheduled me for a follow up visit next week which is exactly 2 weeks after that first bleeding encounter. I only managed to get dr tham first appt on mid june. I don't know whether should I go kkh since they have my records or tahan until dr tham first visit which is 3 weeks from now (but I may have to explain the story all over again)
ok ah i share w u what dr tham told me last time when I bled. no seX, no lifting of hwavy stuff for 1 wk. If it's clear for 1 wk , then shld be ok. and for me tt time my cervical os was closed so that was also a good sign

And ... tt time I did pap smear + tv scan , i also bled for 1 day. pap smear plus 2 tv scan plus iud insertion - bleed for 3 days

Back