Anyone went travelling in their first trimester?

chloebun

H and I booked a trip in Dec before we knew.. So now we are not sure if I can fly? Anyone travelled in first trimester? Any advice pls?

I flew to Kuching at week 10 for my first pregnancy, and I flew to BKK recently when I was in my 15 week... You can fly...its whether you are comfortable with it or not...

a few qn you have to ask yourself and your hubby

1) how long is the flight?
2) what kind of itinerary? F&E or packaged tour?
3) country/city has proper hospital within reach?
4) country/city has proper food which you are comfortable eating...?

Thanks for sharing babe! It's my first time so I am not sure if it's worth the risk if any?

Our trip is to Taiwan and if we go it is F and E and will probably be super chill... Won't travel far if I'm tired

Jus worried abt the plane ride? And there will be transit at HK so it is a 6+ hrs flight..

Consult your gynae if u r ok to fly or not.
I cancelled my Taiwan trip for late oct cos I am having bad morning sickness. My gynae wrote me a "unfit to travel" letter and SQ gave me a full refund.
I am 13 weeks now and still having MS.

hello everyone, i'm supposed to travel to langkawi next week which would be my week 8 and my gynae advised not to travel during 1st trimester. she said you can travel anytime during 2nd trimester when it's more stabilized, so i decided to heed her advice..there's cancellation costs but i feel it's better to do this than to go ahead and travel... :)

hello everyone, i'm supposed to travel to langkawi next week which would be my week 8 and my gynae advised not to travel during 1st trimester. she said you can travel anytime during 2nd trimester when it's more stabilized, so i decided to heed her advice..there's cancellation costs but i feel it's better to do this than to go ahead and travel... :)

Hmm 2nd trimester means 14 weeks onwards?

Last edited:
Hi chloebun, 2nd tri would means 12 weeks onwards. My gynae also did not allow me to travel during my first tri. I only can go travelling after I pass week 12.

Hi I also had alr booked plane ticket at the beginning of the year. Prepared to forfeit. Just feel sorry for my hubby who will go alone so I am trying to get a friend to take over the ticket for free lor...

Jus to share.. I travelled during my first tri previously but that was for work purpose.. that time I was in my week 6.. so when I returned and visited my gynae on the 8th week, we realised the preg din form and I did a d&c. Till now I'm still not sure was it becos I flew at that time.. so jus to be safe and have no regrets better not travel ba

Jus to share.. I travelled during my first tri previously but that was for work purpose.. that time I was in my week 6.. so when I returned and visited my gynae on the 8th week, we realised the preg din form and I did a d&c. Till now I'm still not sure was it becos I flew at that time.. so jus to be safe and have no regrets better not travel ba
Same here. I travel in week 7 too.everything was normal. No bleeding and then everything g is fine. Until I reach mel. I started to bleed and I went to the hospital. I was tested faintly pregnant. N then it was gone. I came bk n see gynae. Gynae say is chemical pregnancy. So I din know if it is due to my flying or not too. So now I m pregnant for 10 wks n I stop all activities until everything is smooth

I got the green light from gynae to travel in my first trimester, she said I may feel a bit uncomfy due to the nausea and morning sickness. My pregnancy was going well (except morning sickness), no bleeding or high risk condition. I flew to Sydney (7+ hours) to attend my hubby's PhD graduation. Surprisingly, I felt so good flying - no discomfort or morning sickness at all. Maybe the lower air pressure helped ease the symptoms. On the ground, we went to Perth, Ayers Rock and then Sydney, so quite a bit of moving around. When doing road trips, I just made sure I got plenty of fluid intake and toilet breaks. And I would rest at the hotel and not join the family to go out for day trips if I felt tired or nauseous. The good thing is that DH and I are both very familiar with Australia as we lived there 4 years.

Due to the good flying to Australia experience, I made two more overseas trips in my 2nd trimester and one overseas trip in my late 2nd/early 3rd trimester. All involved flying more than 7 hours and were uneventful, although for the last trip, I had to wear compression stockings by order of the gynae (to prevent DVT) and had trouble sleeping on the plane due to the bigger tummy. So from now, no more overseas travel for me until after delivery.

Hi,
I did a company trip to KL at week 7 ..
It was my second pregnancy so I was a bit bochup ..
When i came back, the baby stopped growing & its heart stopped ..
So now w my latest pregnancy, I am SO not going anywhere until 2nd tri ..
Just to play safe ..
Or probably no babymoon for this pregnancy ..

Hi,
I did a company trip to KL at week 7 ..
It was my second pregnancy so I was a bit bochup ..
When i came back, the baby stopped growing & its heart stopped ..
So now w my latest pregnancy, I am SO not going anywhere until 2nd tri ..
Just to play safe ..
Or probably no babymoon for this pregnancy ..

Hi all, I just went travelling during my wk 8 till wk 10 on an 8 hrs flight and everything was fine :) u can also request for a letter from yr gynae to do physical check instead for going through those sensor gates.

H and I booked a trip in Dec before we knew.. So now we are not sure if I can fly? Anyone travelled in first trimester? Any advice pls?

Hi, I also travel in my first trimester, during 6th & 12th week.
On my 6th week, my trip is to bangkok, walk non-stop, shop from morning to night.
MS only started 9th week and also my first visit to gynae is 8th week.
However, it is best to consult your gynae for advice regarding any travelling.

Talking about travelling... Anyone can advise where to buy travel insurance that covers pregnancy? My gynae encourage me to buy...

I travelled to hkg at wk 7 last mth.intially was fine but I tried not to be over zealous in shopping / walking etc as I considered myself high risk type aft 2 early stage of mc. It was only 4th day onwards where the ms started to hit me at the highest peak and can be quite uncomfortable gg ard hkg gagging / burping . But im glad I'm back safely with the lil one growing even with heartbeat heard!

Hi, just a qn, what if it's just traveling to msia by coach? Abt 6-7 hours road trip. Would it be safe?

Road trip is fine but you should take frequent stops for toilet break and to stretch your legs. From the late 2nd trimester onwards, my gynae told me to wear compression stockings if I were to sit down for long periods without the chance to stand up and walk about.

I travelled to east coast USA when i was 7-8 weeks. Gynae suggested to cancel my trip as I had spotting but it was impossible as we only knew my pregnancy 2 days before the trip itself. 22hrs flight wasnt a joke. And alot of road trips in between states. I was okay back then and came back safely. Baby is growing healthy. Heart beat is normal too. Oh yah, gynae prescribed hormon tablets for me to protect my pregnancy during my trip. Everything is fine. :)) but now ms strikes me, I may not want to travel much..

allow me to share my wife's experience (we share this account)... she flew to US for business trip when she was like 7 weeks into pregnancy; can't cancel trip cos it's an important one and was scheduled long time back. according to her, the 25+hrs journey (to Minnesotta via HK and Chicago) was a terrible ordeal made worse by the airlines' poor service and lousy food. she was so affected that she cried while waiting at the transit area for the connecting flights; she said she felt better after crying.

although our gynae advised us against the trip, he gave my wife some advises, prescribed hormone pills that are supposed to help "stabilise" our little one, and issued a "letter of pregnancy" for her use if situation requires. his advises are:
+ be extra careful not to overexert herself while handling the luggages (get help from airport/airline staff or tip the hotel/taxi drivers to carry them)
+ drink lots of water to hydrate
+ walk about regularly during the flight to facilitate blood circulation
+ use compression socks to reduce risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT is big time risk)
+ don't hesitate to get help from people around if feeling unwell
+ be extra careful not to slip or fall
+ watch what she eat, such as avoiding uncooked food (including salads), unpasteurised dairy products, etc.
+ get lots of rest

generally, i would summarise the risks associated with travelling mom (especially with 1st trimester) are:
- DVT ... a potentially life threatening problem, pregnant ladies suffer higher risk
- dehydration
- radiation during flight at high altitude ... bad for both mother and baby
- cabin pressure ... although cabin is pressurised, pressure is usually lower than at lower altitudes; may cause complications for pregnant ladies with serious anemia, sickle cell disease, placental insufficiency cos both mother an baby may have trouble adapting
- long haul travel and time zone difference so body may not adjust well ... affects proper rests, jet lag, affects the mother physiologically and phycologically
- food ... hygiene and proper preparation may be a concern
- last but not least, fatigue ... physical body and defenses becomes weak, higher risk of falls and easier to fall ill

here's a comprehensive article good for a read, about risks of air travel
http://www.pregnancy.com.au/pregnan...ncy_information/flying-during-pregnancy.shtml

take care ... fellow parents to be

my colleague did not went travelling but just went cny visiting and got too tired... and the baby got miscarried after that.

my colleague did not went travelling but just went cny visiting and got too tired... and the baby got miscarried after that.

I believe the pregnancy was not stable to begin with, hence the body rejected it and the miscarriage; there was probably nothing she could have done or not do to prevent it. Visiting during CNY and getting tired just happened to be a coincidence. Even if she did not do visiting, it is quite likely something else would have easily triggered the miscarriage. I'm sad for your colleague but it is no good for her to feel guilty that her exerting herself caused the miscarriage.

Mine was a pre-booked since Jul and I have no choice as I don't want to disappoint my family.
Super regret as it is a family trip to visit relatives in China.
Very taxing on the body as I have to wake up at 4am to catch the plane then upon arrival, we were being whisked off to this Island with sooooooo much walking with the slope and stairs.
Throughout the trip, there was so much walking involved, mountainous area with no sitting area.
To make matter worse, China food is so saltish and greasy with plenty of animal fats. Basically is just soak in oil. Thinking of this make me feel so nausea again.
The pregnancy is quite smooth sailing at first however upon return to SG, I have very cramps, bad chills, nausea and headache.
I have to take a full week mc and till now, full blast MS, on and off cramps with brown discharge.
Super regret it and given a choice again, no way am I going to travel again during my pregnancy. :(

Mine was a pre-booked since Jul and I have no choice as I don't want to disappoint my family.
Super regret as it is a family trip to visit relatives in China.
Very taxing on the body as I have to wake up at 4am to catch the plane then upon arrival, we were being whisked off to this Island with sooooooo much walking with the slope and stairs.
Throughout the trip, there was so much walking involved, mountainous area with no sitting area.
To make matter worse, China food is so saltish and greasy with plenty of animal fats. Basically is just soak in oil. Thinking of this make me feel so nausea again.
The pregnancy is quite smooth sailing at first however upon return to SG, I have very cramps, bad chills, nausea and headache.
I have to take a full week mc and till now, full blast MS, on and off cramps with brown discharge.
Super regret it and given a choice again, no way am I going to travel again during my pregnancy. :(

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but I think it's not traveling anywhere overseas in general, but traveling to China, a country you're not used to and the taxing itinerary that got you so exhausted. I had a very good time traveling overseas in my pregnancy - went to Australia, South Africa, Korea and Norway. All are developed countries and hubby made sure the itineraries were such that it was comfortable for me, not too tiring, and allowed plenty of rest in between. I particularly enjoyed eating foods overseas that are not found here to help my LO put on weight. Hence my advice to pregnant MTBs is to choose wisely where you should go overseas, and make sure you can cope with the itinerary - limit how much you will do (walk, travel, stand etc.) in a day.

I8
Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but I think it's not traveling anywhere overseas in general, but traveling to China, a country you're not used to and the taxing itinerary that got you so exhausted. I had a very good time traveling overseas in my pregnancy - went to Australia, South Africa, Korea and Norway. All are developed countries and hubby made sure the itineraries were such that it was comfortable for me, not too tiring, and allowed plenty of rest in between. I particularly enjoyed eating foods overseas that are not found here to help my LO put on weight. Hence my advice to pregnant MTBs is to choose wisely where you should go overseas, and make sure you can cope with the itinerary - limit how much you will do (walk, travel, stand etc.) in a day.
Thanks dear, I have been living overseas for years and thought I can jolly well survive anywhere but this trip was really :( ......... nothing can prepare me for the greasy and meaty food for 3 meals daily and seeing live slaughter of the livestocks on the street.
I agree with u, mtb should really plan the itinerary well on where they want to go, plenty of rest and best if is a f&e trip :)

@chloebun in the End, did u go? I also booked a trip to Bangkok Before I know I was preg, should be week 8 by then. Still have slight spotting on and off, should I go? My two sisters will be going without me if I ain't going and that makes me worry

@chloebun in the End, did u go? I also booked a trip to Bangkok Before I know I was preg, should be week 8 by then. Still have slight spotting on and off, should I go? My two sisters will be going without me if I ain't going and that makes me worry
I will advise u not to go because *touchwood* if anything happen, u will sure regret it especially u still have slight spotting.
Maybe u can check with your gynae and see whether he can issue u a letter to postpone the flight.
Wait till the pregnancy is more stable then go?

Don't go if you're bleeding in your 1st trimester. Check with your gynae first.

Hi babe i didnt go in the end cos i didnt want to take any risk at all. We had to forfeit the tickets and incur penalty charges but at least it gave me a better peace of mind then going and then worrying if all will be ok..

I flew to taiwan for leisure and shanghai & jakarta for biz trip. it really depend on your body and advice from gynae will be a better answer. :)

I think fr 7 week onwards into 2nd tri, we will feel v v v extreme fatigue. for me, I almost lay in bed whole day except for meal time.. I dont even hv the energy to shower or sit up to watch tv for 15min. just feel so so so tired that I need to lay down anywhere... like if outside I just feel I wan to find a bed to lie down but I cant...no bed. so try to find ya kun and get a seat but the body feel so uncomfortable as sitting upright is also v challenging for me... during wkends I just lay in my bed whole day, so I decide not to travel when intially I wanted to...

I wasn't sure if I am pregnant and went for a business trip when I am 5weeks, which is like just the week that passed.

Apart from on and off ab cramp which felt like menses cramp, I feel ok.

Also booked bkk trip in early Feb, just cancel the hotel. Will see the gynae next week and check if I can still fly...

I think fr 7 week onwards into 2nd tri, we will feel v v v extreme fatigue. for me, I almost lay in bed whole day except for meal time.. I dont even hv the energy to shower or sit up to watch tv for 15min. just feel so so so tired that I need to lay down anywhere... like if outside I just feel I wan to find a bed to lie down but I cant...no bed. so try to find ya kun and get a seat but the body feel so uncomfortable as sitting upright is also v challenging for me... during wkends I just lay in my bed whole day, so I decide not to travel when intially I wanted to...

That's why if you decide to travel during your first trimester, you must make sure you have plenty of opportunities and comfy environments to rest and avoid strenuous activities. I went to Australia with my hubby and our mothers - first to Perth and Ayers Rock for holiday, then on to Sydney for hub's graduation. I let hubby do all the driving, with frequent toilet breaks in between. When I felt tired, I would drop everything and just lie in bed and rest alone in the hotel. I was prepared to give up some tourist activities, as well as shopping and dining out, to rest myself.

Last edited:
My Gynae was a lot against travelling during first trimester as body is considered unstable. I was in Japan before I knew I was pregnant and my legs were sore every night and I get exhausted easily. I was also having itchy rashes all over my back and that did not make the trip easier. Better to be safe, I would not highly advised.
But if it's a must-go trip for some reasons, then you would have to make sure you get ample rest (make sacrifices to some of the places you would like to cover) and not overwork your body. Rest stops for toilet breaks is a must!

Last edited:
I flew to bali to have my photo shoot during my 10th week..

Gynae say is alright to travel. Just ask me dun take the aisle seat in case people bag drop on me or the meal cart knock onto me.. He say bleeding is not caused by air travel.

For first pregnancy in 2012, i was surfing in Bali @ 3weeks when we didn't know yet. Returned to Bali @7weeks for some R&R (booked another surf trip but ended up just chilling on the beach). Currently 12 weeks pregnant with #2. Was in Perth when I was about 4 weeks preggers. Even continued with Slidestreet. Stupid risk considering that we knew by then but I was really looking forward to it and decided to wing it (afterall, #1 survived two weeks of surfing. Lol.)

Back