Advice needed on divorce/separation/child custody

Hi mummies,

I just joined in here as i was trying to find some answers on google and saw this forum.. I have no idea where to post, or how to post, so I hope there is some people who can see this msg and help me as i am at a total lost..

My name is Liz, im 20 this year. I have two sons aged 2.6yo and 1.1yo. I have been married for coming 2 years now. In this 2 years, there is no honeymoon period but just nightmares. We keep fighting and separating. Once we were separated for over 3 months with me at my parents home, and him not even contacting me, or asking about his sons or anything at all. Till my dad had enough and asked him what he wants to do with me, he came down and told my parents he wanted to divorce me. I refused and i straight away packed my bag and returned to his mom place to win back his heart. In just 3 days , i did. But I guess, his faimly members are not happy seeing us as happy as we are. On fine day we had a big fight, and his mother, called my parents over to her place and told them to bring me and my sons out from her place. But when I asked her, "What about my husband? Why dont you throw him out too?" She said "No icant do that. If he wants to follow u he can. If not he can just live with me." I was heartbroken. Because even after the fight, me and my husband calmed down and stil lcant interact with each other nicely. But his mother out of a sudden change from the nicest to the most crazy mother in law ever. Sprouting out all my negative sides when living with her. I was so shocked like i was backstabbed by a bazuka.

When i moved back in with my parents in JB, We were still contacting each other like normal. At times i will go in singapore and we will meet outside to let him spent time with his sons. He never discussed with me how is it. Only when i asked him, he says now is not the time yet. Again i was being thrown aside by him. But he acting like he cared but nobody knows that he does. Now I manage to rent a place from the market in marsiling near to his mom place at woodlands. We celebrated our younger son bday together, went out together, still can kiss goodbye when going home but every time i ask him to come live with me, he said he was not ready. I am confused and this is eating me up.

I was so angry one morning and whatsapp-ed him saying that is being a coward. Why must he be easily influenced by his family?? Than what about me and my sons? Arent we his family too? My parents are totally pissed off with him and told me i better start preparing myself to let him go and move on because they feel that this man is really one useless piece of shit. Ofcos i think otherwise.. he is my husband. But as time passed, i begining to belive that its true... He said he wants to go to court a zillion times but he didnt. And now he is claiming that the marriage cert is with me. So i already mailed the cert back to him. My mother said that she feels, he is doesnt want to take responsibility of me and my sons anymore, but he doesnt want to take the first step to divorce me. I am living alone with my sons, and im self employed working full time at home. This is the life i want to be. Me taking care of my precious boys.

I am overly attached to my sons, and i swear if they are not by my side i have no reason to live any more. I have rebelled my whole life and only till i held my first born in my arms, ive never felt this much of love before. He is my bestest friend and im blessed to have 2 now. Im paying 1.1k per month for rent now. Everything else is all on me. Ive been supporting them since forever on my own. My husband only gave me $1000 per month 3 times of our marriage life and thats it.

So now I am hoping he would come home eventually, but i have to be more realistic and accept the fact that he is not a good man. He claims he missed his sons, he loves his sons, he will die for his sons, but he will only meet his sons when he is convenient. He was divorced once with no children, even his eldest brother is a divorcee too. But have 2 daughters. I lived with them for 2 years and I see how they are especially the evil mother. She teaches her sons that all they have to do is work and work and give money. That is all. Because that is how she is living with her husband now. My guess is, my husband is too afraid to leave his mom's home and live with me, afraid that we wont work out again. But whatever the reason is, he not being here is already as irresponsible as he always is.

So now, my main and ONLY concern is, can i have custody of my children at a young age? I may be young, but i will do anything for my sons. i will never leave them out of my sight even for a second, I cant live without my sons. I cry everytime i think of this. My family are all non divorcee, my parents cant advise me on this. So i am all alone. Im not prepared and im just scared. I know my husband wont claim full custody as his mother wont want to take care of my sons, but i know they will ask for weekend access. Just like my husband's elder brother two daughters. I am strongly against this access. Can i fight to disagree?? If he can live without his sons for months, and just see them a few hours one sunday a month, why after divorce he wants every weekend? I cant comply and i hope there is some ray of hope here telling me that i can fight for this. I do not want to sleep a single night without my sons, because i have never done that, and im not ready to experience that. He is used to it. Im sure he can live with it like how he is living with it now.

Since we were married, he have not even provided us a home. I owe anyone who can help me with this. If this way is impossible, than i have no choice but try to win my husband's heart back again just to ensure that i dont have to be seperated with my sons. even if it means living with an idiot.

Regards
Hi! You can also clink on this link to find out more.
http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/forPublic/YoutheLaw/CustodyMaintenance.aspx

Dear mummy
you made me teary eyed reading your reply. Feeling alone for so long now i feel like theres hope. I cant thank you enough. Thank you so much.
Hi Mummy,
Thanks for your swift response. Its my pleasure to serve you with my opinions. But its up to you my dear mummy to take it personally or not. Anyways, can I know what have you really decided as in my opinions I feel that dragging this matter also doesn't seems good because you have 2 children to give your 100% focus and attention to. I seriously hope that you wont lose concentration on them as they are really young. Too much of things in your mind, without knowing what are the solutions to your problems, will eventually make you lose focus on something with your knowing. So in my opinion, I feel that you should make a decision soon on whether you want to apply for separation/divorce or either patch back with your husband. Decide for the best of your children happiness. Hope to hear from you.

Hi muumy. ..bear in mind separation is only 3yrs max and after that it just s piece of rubbish paper. It only give u time to consider...suggest u file a court maintenance order to support yourself and ur kid while you contemplate.. At least that ease the financial burden ..if he isn't paying his part nw.

Yes you should ask for maintenance at least for your kids so that it will enlighten you. Your partner has to bear responsibility since its child no matter what. Whatever the problem between you and your partner, it doesnt involves your kid/kids. He has to do his part as a father.

Hi,am new here.
Am married for 15yrs...since 1st my hubby was mentally abuse me to the point of instill fear. At the beginning I still tried to help hubby as his background he had experienced of being abuse. Until I experienced depression and almost divorce him in 2006. Then he tried his best to change. He was improved for 4 yrs with no incidents of mental abuse anymore. Until 3 yrs ago his business was failing and there was a point when he got exploded in anger, he attack me and daughter until my daughter experience crack in her foot. I brought my daughter to KKH. I still tried to find solution so we were referred by one counselling agency to SIngapore Children Society. And our pastor is deeply involved. It was quiet and seemed all ok until 6 Dec 2013 when hubby talk to my child that he planned to hurt me.

I applied PPO in Jan 2014. He didn't contest as he didn't deny all that he did. But this one year, he relapsed his explosive anger for few times until the last time was this 12Jan2015.
Am at point of no return. We are still under compulsory counselling from Court (due to PPO) and he is still nzing counselled by our pastor.
Can anybody give me suggestion? For the past 15years I also can't work as my daughter has a severe bronchitis so it is impossible to leave her at childcare+hubby is required to travel intensively by job.
Am thinking to apply divorcz this year after my daughter's PSLE while in this 9months look for a job. Will I win the custody as we arr under PPO & only solely based on alimony? Am looking for a job right now.
Is there any recommendation of lawyer? Will Singapore Family Court help to provide pro bono lawyer? Is there any non-profit organization that can help?

For all advise, i will really appreciate.
Thanks

@BrokenLily i'm not an expert, but based on what you have written, your child definitely will be under your custody and definitely you will be awarded with alimony and child maintenance...

@PixieNg thanks for your encouragement.
Still trying to find a lawyer that can handle this fast.
In my case, do you think the court will ask us to wait for 3 yrs or is there any possibility to be shorter than that?
Is there any possibility for the judge to grant me one name ownership for the unit as long as I can pay the mortgage?
I know it seems impossible :'(

i can recommend my lawyer to you...

i need not wait for 3yrs coz i'm not filing for separation.. my whole process of divorce took about 6 months.. total bill is 3K..
judge will not grant you the entire HDB as long as your husband pays for the flat.. to be fair, you have to buy over his share...

for me, my ex pays 20% and i pays 80%.. so i buy over his shares at 20% + 2.5% (accrued interest) to his cpf..
if you dont have money in CPF or cash to buy over... you have to take bank loan because you need to clear the remaining loan with HDB before any transfer of ownership of HDB

for example your house your ex pays 50K, you pays 50K, hdb loan left 100K.. you need to pay your ex 50K + 1250 and hdb 100K in total then you can own 100% of the hdb..

I see, thanks for e info @pixie ng, very useful. I did contribute for the the downpayment while the installment we both contribute. Need to do calculation.
Let me know if your lawyer is good. Thanks

I see, thanks for e info @pixie ng, very useful. I did contribute for the the downpayment while the installment we both contribute. Need to do calculation.
Let me know if your lawyer is good. Thanks

i'm not sure how you determine good...
for me, she just get the things done as per my deadline... as is not contested so everything is very simple and fast..
i told her i want to get divorce the fastest speed. she just draft out the agreement btw my ex and i... my ex agreed and signed.. and we officially divorced after 6 months..
i did not take any alimony from my ex. bought over his shares. cleared all hdb loan by cpf & cash so the hdb is 100% mine.

meanwhile book appt with your HDB estate manager first... it is much easier to find a lawyer than book an appt with your estate manager..

@BrokenLily
Definitely, If you have solid eveidences and other strong points that you have in mind, you can prove it to court and divorce proceedings will be shorten. However, both parties must not be against each other. For e.g. Your husbands wants the flat and you also wants the flat. Both of you are not compromising, it will drag abit untill you both can compromise or the judge will give his verdict.

Hi,am new here.
Am married for 15yrs...since 1st my hubby was mentally abuse me to the point of instill fear. At the beginning I still tried to help hubby as his background he had experienced of being abuse. Until I experienced depression and almost divorce him in 2006. Then he tried his best to change. He was improved for 4 yrs with no incidents of mental abuse anymore. Until 3 yrs ago his business was failing and there was a point when he got exploded in anger, he attack me and daughter until my daughter experience crack in her foot. I brought my daughter to KKH. I still tried to find solution so we were referred by one counselling agency to SIngapore Children Society. And our pastor is deeply involved. It was quiet and seemed all ok until 6 Dec 2013 when hubby talk to my child that he planned to hurt me.

I applied PPO in Jan 2014. He didn't contest as he didn't deny all that he did. But this one year, he relapsed his explosive anger for few times until the last time was this 12Jan2015.
Am at point of no return. We are still under compulsory counselling from Court (due to PPO) and he is still nzing counselled by our pastor.
Can anybody give me suggestion? For the past 15years I also can't work as my daughter has a severe bronchitis so it is impossible to leave her at childcare+hubby is required to travel intensively by job.
Am thinking to apply divorcz this year after my daughter's PSLE while in this 9months look for a job. Will I win the custody as we arr under PPO & only solely based on alimony? Am looking for a job right now.
Is there any recommendation of lawyer? Will Singapore Family Court help to provide pro bono lawyer? Is there any non-profit organization that can help?

For all advise, i will really appreciate.
Thanks

Hi BrokenLily,

I understand how it feels to live with a man who is mentally and physically abusing you and not only you but your daughter too. I would strongly say that divorce for your case, will be a best solution because a man who hits you once, will continuously hits you. I also believe that you have went through for quite sometime, he changed but once he is unable to handle and manage his stress and problems. He vent it on you and your daughter. I would also recommend you to go for counselling in Pave as the counselors there are are experience in handling abusive relationship cases. It will be a good idea for you to attend that counselling for you to get help and also they can review case and I believe they might write it to court to ask for custody for your daughter to be with you. Please get all solid evidences that your husband is abusive so that you can prove it in court and the judge will look into the matter.
I hope your daughter is much better now. Try looking for a part time job so that you can take care of your job and also your daughter.

@tifflim: Hi and thanks for your info about Pave.
Until now me and daughter are still under counselling from Singapore Children Society which was compulsory from the Family Court (my hubby,too) and now is still on. But I will try to contact Pave to get more info regarding this. The SCS also inform people in need to know in my daughter's school for the support.

Am planning everything slowly as I don't want to trigger the unstable situation as my daughter will have her PSLE this year and it will end only in October.

It is not easy for me and currently am looking for lawyer as I need to discuss the legal matters in detail. Maybe you can suggest one? As what suggested by Pixie Ng related to HDB Unit, I think I can only take this step later on so it won't ring the bell to my hubby about what I plan.
@pixie ng: maybe you can give me your lawyer's contact?
Thanks...

PM you

if you cannot make it during the weekend, you can request the lawyer can meet you during sat morning. she is very easy-going so sometimes she doesnt mind coming in on sat morning.

@Confusedguy i will divorce if i do not want to spend rest of my life with a guy i dont trust anymore. at my age, love is not really a major factor whether relationship works or not. it's about whether both parties can tolerate each other for rest of their lives. if you can't tolerate, you will be miserable and i dont think anyone wants to be miserable.

Hi mummy, today is valentine's day and we had a big fight on this day. I called the police too. I am at a lost and the problem with the hubby started 3 years back. We were like room mate but hardly communicate. I always think for the kids and dont know what to do. I have 3 kids and eldest was when i am unwed. My second and third belong to the hubby. I dont know if i married him because i just want a partner and he is someone who can accept me with kids that time. I dont have proposal and i dont wish for expensive proposal. Its just some memory i wish to have. He said no need and brush it aside. I bought the wedding band myself. Thinking back, I really wonder that maybe we are really not suitable for marriage. After we married, his business was shaky and thus he decided to close down. He did not work and i was working hard for my family. He threw temper at me and the kids. Now i felt fear whenever i got questions to ask him. When i got the 3rd one by accident, our relationship is very bad. We hardly have sexual activities and only once he want then i just give in. I wanted to abort my 3rd child cause i dont want to have another burden as my marriage is shaky. He assured me everything will be fine and say cannot kill a life. I saw heartbeat and really cannot bear to do it. After i gave birth i suffered. No one helped me till to date. I already not working as no one help me to take care of my child. Now 5 months had pass and i am still helpless. The hubby work evening job for mon wed and fri and i was left with 3 kids myself. He totally dont bother about me. The mother in law dont want help me take care. My mum is helping me with two thus she already very shag. He always come home black face and said kids very noisy. Once i suggested to bring kids out for dinner to spend time with them, he said to pack home eat cause very noisy with them outside. Even bringing kids out on weekend, he also dont want. I bring them to cycling myself alone and leave the baby with him. Even chinese new year i said that i have not buy new year clothings, he say no need cause he also dont have. He said that its just a new year. Even new year decorations he also dont bother. He said no need. My kids clothings are all bought by my aunties and he did not even felt that we should shop with them. Its new year and we should be excited about it. How come to him everything is not important. When i am preparing for my interview and ask him some opinions, he said why i ask him things he dont know and he felt annoyed. Today i cooked healthy chic soup and salmon for the kids, he ask me why i cook and dont pack home as its easier. Again he gave me black face. Everything i do he seemed annoyed. Maybe he felt that i am staying at home and useless. We are really like stranger and i suggested to him to see counsellor. He said we are normal and there is no need. i really felt so happy when he is not around, but when he is arond i felt very stressed. I want to seperate from him a while but yet dont want him to enjoy the freedom. Even bath baby he also dont do. He dont even help. If i out whole day, baby will stink cause he dont bother to bath for him. Now he is financially bad except i still got savings. He suggested hire maid under my name and so that i can go work earn money. I am lost on how to face this person? Today fight had affected the children. i dont wish to but i cant take it.

Mama_joanne, if I have the income and my hubby not contributing, I will leave and start afresh. But unfortunately I am a SAHM and hubby is earning more. As such I have to endure no matter how suffering it is till I can't take it. It's for the kids sake.
My father was not supportive and he said that i destroyed the kids future. He said that the eldest is already a living example. I was not married that time as my exbf cheated me for 5 years. He was divorced man with 2 children but lied to me for so many years. The whole family ganged up to lie. The children even called him uncle in front of the family. Therefore even my parents were not aware. Its until my 6th month pregnancy that through an auntie who told me. Its very weird and she can tell me everything. Its sort of some spirits helping her. I was accompanying my friend to pass things to this auntie at ang mo kio and i was outside her house when she requested to see me. But now she dont see anymore. I think she already broke the biggest secret for me. Now my dad also keep side my hubby saying men should not do housework or do baby stuffs, we should do it. I think men's ego. I still saw fathers outside carrying their baby and showing so much love. My hubby never carry the baby in manduca or sling. He said its ugly. I sometime complain my backache cause my baby is very heavy but he did not offer help either. Now we only walk around in the house without communication and I think its worst for the children. But my parents are not supportive and i seem to have to depend on myself again.

Without financially independent, I am not sure how to do it. I did not have the courage...
Actually there is a will there is a way. Trust me wishingstar mummy. I was only 21 when i had my son. People look down on me and i was being terminated by my ex boss when i was 6mth pregnant. Thus he did not need to pay me any maternity. There was a loophole and i went to MOM. But their advise for me is to let it go. Its not worth to fight the case and i had no money that time. I went on to do outdoor sales job and run around with my big belly. I worked till when i really cant walk and thus i went to deliver. During my confinement i started to look for job and go interview. There was once a manager that said they asked me to worked out on my own appearance and size. I ws super upset. Second month i got a job and eventually ocbc hired me to be financial consultant with a so much better pay. I worked day and night for my son. Its no choice but have to. I still remember i only spend $2 for meal and went home with maggie mee a lot of times. My mother also depend on me cause my dad womanize and left us. Our house can at time being cut electricity and we got to bear with darkness for a while. i think time is tough and i dont know how i overcome. But i believe everything happen for a reason and thats why we are here. :)

@mama_joanne @Wishingstars you need to be independent first before you leave your husband. if not, you will need alimony from him if you want to leave him. and in order to get alimony, you need a good lawyer (if you want to get good amt of alimony) and alot of court time (contested divorce is very lengthy) and these are all very expensive... as long as you have a job and able to earn yourself and your children upkeep, you can just F your husband and walk out of the marriage.

Mama_joanne, I think it will be good if u could get help with yr 3 kids then u go out to work. Maybe get a maid. U can only plan yr next step when ur financially independent.

@BrokenLily very sad to hear your stories. Do stay strong. I seek legal aid for help and at that point I only had a part time job earning $500 a month. Legal aid only charge me $600+ for my divorced case . Hope this helps.

@tifflim: Hi and thanks for your info about Pave.
Until now me and daughter are still under counselling from Singapore Children Society which was compulsory from the Family Court (my hubby,too) and now is still on. But I will try to contact Pave to get more info regarding this. The SCS also inform people in need to know in my daughter's school for the support.

Am planning everything slowly as I don't want to trigger the unstable situation as my daughter will have her PSLE this year and it will end only in October.

It is not easy for me and currently am looking for lawyer as I need to discuss the legal matters in detail. Maybe you can suggest one? As what suggested by Pixie Ng related to HDB Unit, I think I can only take this step later on so it won't ring the bell to my hubby about what I plan.
@pixie ng: maybe you can give me your lawyer's contact?
Thanks...

You are most welcome. Pave is one of the best place that you can go for counselling as for your divorce matters also they are able assist you and your little girl. As what I understand, I believe if your husband is really very violent and abusive, you can actually go through them so that even on your court proceedings for your divorce, they will assist you to do it without facing your husband in person in court. I hope that it will be useful and helpful for you.

@mylittledarling - I am sure it will be helpful for brokenlily because its much cheaper and affordable than other lawyers. I hope that we can give our motivational support to brokenlily.

@mylittle darling,
Thanks a lot for the info, I've been thinking about taking e legal aid,too due to my SAHM for a long time. Do part time from home so literally for this 15yrs out of work force as my daughter's health isn't good since she was 1 month old. I am slowly planning all.

For @mamajoanne, @wishingstar
There will be a way if we try. Especially we do it for our children.
Maybe taking a helper will be good as long as your hubby doesn't do violent action.
For me, I have to prepare my safety plan even before I apply the process as for me and my daughter's sake.
Yup, we should support each other here and hope all of us can find the best solution despite our bitter situations.

Every problem, there is a solution to it.
Every time when you think its impossible, the word itself says that its possible.
So don't give up hope no matter how hard it is because everyone of us here are going through problems in different ways.
No matter how hard the situation I am in, I always motivate myself that there's someone else is going through something worst off than me. So whenever I say this to myself. I began to gain confidence that I can do it.
Life is like mathematics, a lot of problem solvings but once we are able to learn the tactics to our problem solving questions, anything questions will be easy for us,
the same it goes for us, everytime we find a solution to our problem, we tend to be stronger each time and we will be handle any situations without giving up.

Hi broken lily...sad to hear your predicament... Everything happens for a reason.

You can make it..I'm filing Maintenance for myself n had already gotten Maintenance order for my gals..so now closing in on my own maintenance n fighting divorce myself cos he is contesting the flat.

Should u need any info, feel free to pm me.

God bless...you can make it gal..

Hi, I m a sahm mum with 2kids aged 2.5yrs old n 8mths. My husband had been askin for divorce each time we quarrel. Things got worst tis time. He scolded my dad call my dad names etc. I not sure if I should divorce. My parents dislike him n his parents dislike mi too. If I were to divorce, am I able to get custody of both my kids? My dad say scary stuff to mi.. Say most likely I will get 1kid n he get 1kid cos I not workin no income. Is tis true?

Hi, I m a sahm mum with 2kids aged 2.5yrs old n 8mths. My husband had been askin for divorce each time we quarrel. Things got worst tis time. He scolded my dad call my dad names etc. I not sure if I should divorce. My parents dislike him n his parents dislike mi too. If I were to divorce, am I able to get custody of both my kids? My dad say scary stuff to mi.. Say most likely I will get 1kid n he get 1kid cos I not workin no income. Is tis true?

Do you think divorce is the only solution to your problem? Why didn't you both consider first before marriage, that whether his parents will like you and your parents will like him? Now, both of you have got married and moreover you have 2 children. You can choose to talk things out. Instead of just choosing the option of divorce. I still believe that your children will be happier if they have both parents with them. Instead of them being separated from either you or their dad. No matter what, both parties have the rights to be with the children.
I feel that you should re-consider for the sake of your children.

Hi poopoo173
Suggest u try counselling.. Private counselling may be expensive but I know some church do hv professional counsellors which are free. Hmm... Social welfare services also hv counselling.. So u can consider these avenues. Until all else fail, then no choice.. The inevitable hv to happen.

God bless

If i m jobless, would it affect getting custody of kids?
if you are jobless, most likely will be joint custody or kids will be under your hub..
you can have alimony and child maintenance, but if ur hub is an average earner, i dun think these money is sufficient for you & your kids livelihood...

jobless or not will not affect your custody.

Its more important who is the current care giver. The court is not looking who have more money, but the welfare and who make the better care giver to give the care and control.

your hubby have to provide what he have to help u support your kid.

jobless or not will not affect your custody.

Its more important who is the current care giver. The court is not looking who have more money, but the welfare and who make the better care giver to give the care and control.

your hubby have to provide what he have to help u support your kid.
not true...
i have a friend, her 2 sons is under her ex because she is jobless...
as compare to my friend who is jobless and no one helps her to take care of her kids if she has a job, her ex has a job, and his parents can take care of 2 sons, so the court rule kids to him...

janey09 is right, i am not working. My ex have a job. I have the care and control of my child. My ex have to give maintenance for the kids.

yes, the court does not award care and control based on who is employed or have more money. But who is able to take care of the child and is the care giver.

I have a relative. She was given the care and control of the child, she doesn't wan to take the maintenance from the ex, and went for a job interview. As there was no one to look after the child, she left the child at home alone for awhile. The 'evil' husband who got a PI to watch over her, get to know and call the police. The husband n the police break open the house door and took away the child. Then the husband apply thru the court to take the care and control of the child.

Then ur relative isn't telling full truth.. If custody is in her care, police hv no right to take away the child .. Unless her husband hv pictures of abandonment or abuse..hmm

it's the truth. the police knock on the door, it was locked with a padlock. There was no one else in the house and no key left with the kid. In law this is wrongful confinement, and the mother is negligence. The police handover the child to the husband, instead of the mother.

He doesn't need any picture, the police is the witness.

U can ask your ddp, whether police got the right or not.

Found out fm lawyer Fren .. The reason is that only the parents n grand parents r legal custodians n if that so call relative is just I distance relative....they r not legal custodian ...so that what ur Fren did not mention....that's always a cause n hv to dig deeper

God bless

the thing not so complicates la.

The father managed to use the negligence part to get the child custody.

What distance relative and dig what further.

The truth is the mother negligence when going to job interview left the son alone at home. The father found out, called police and the father managed to go court to reverse the child custody. This is to tell mummies in the forum, don't be carelessly, get lawyer to fight for your right so u won't lose out, in the end go and look for job, and lost custody of your child.

Back