Hospital for Major Placenta Previa?

WorriedHubby

Hi everyone. I am looking for some advice.

My wife is 20 weeks pregnant and diagnosed with Major Placenta Previa (Stage 4), which means the placenta covers the entire cervix.

Our current gynae is Chris Chen at Gleneagles. He is very experienced and usually quite conservative. He advised that there is a risk of bleeding which in the worst case could cause the wife to bleed to death within 15 mins. Hence he recommended that my wife be warded under observation for 8 weeks, At the 28 week mark, if the condition doesn't improve, my wife would be warded until delivery (c-section).

But staying for 8-16 weeks in Gleneagles is practically unaffordable. So we went to KK hospital to see whether we could be warded there instead. But the doctor at KK (we went thru the 24-hour O&G clinic and the doctor was quite young) said that my wife's condition is not serious enough to be warded. KK only wards previa cases where bleeding has occured. The doctor said that bleeding would only occur if my wife exerted herself physically. As long as my wife rests at home, she likely would not begin bleeding. The doctor also said that KK sees hundreds of cases every year, and there would not be enough beds to support all non-bleeding previa cases if each case had to be warded in hospital.

My wife now is very depressed as she has received two conflicting advice. On one hand, the experienced private doctor says that her condition is risky and she needs to be warded all the way. On the other hand, another public doctor says her condition is not serious and she can rest at home. My wife really does not want to take the risk and she prefers to be warded to give her peace of mind, but KK wouldn't accept her yet. She is completely stressed out and unable to sleep properly, which I am afraid is affecting her pregnancy.

Would any kind reader be able to offer some advice? I read some threads showing that there were other mothers with the same issue who stayed in hospital? Which hospital did you stay in? Is there a better way to guarantee admission into a ward at a public hospital?

Perhaps you would like to consult a more senior gynae at kkh such as prof John tee for a second opinion? I would say this condition is tricky because it is true that some women do bleed but a lot also end up not bleeding when on bedrest at home. Tell your wife not to stress up first n that at 20 weeks, there might still b a possibility of the placenta moving up. If you would like another opinion try NUH. They also see a lot of high risk pregnancies and might be able to help you out.

Hi,

I am currently at 24 wks n I haven been diagnosed w stage 4 placenta previa since 20 wks too. I was told to abstain from strenuous activities, lifting heavy things, n traveling. N strictly no hanky panky w hubby.

I'm with Dr Kowa at Mt E, an extremely experienced doc too (he has been practicing before I was born!). His wife had the exact same condition w their #3, she had 2 minor bleeds, n 2 major bleeds when she had to be transfused. At her 2nd major bleed at 35 wks, he personally delivered his own daughter, who was ok after 4 days in NICU.

I had a minor bleeding episode at 22 wks, but it was not serious enough to be warded. He gave me mc for a few days to rest at home, n just told me to take things easy. Try to be off my feet, either lay down or sit down, can even play mahjong he says. The worry is once u get a first bleed, u r more prone to more serious bleeding episodes as the uterus grows n stretches. As major bleeding can lead to premature delivery, Dr Kowa suggested I go get myself registered as a subsidized patient w KKH, "open a file" n have a record with them, in case I deliver before 35 wks. He shared that NICU charges at Mt E is around $1k a day, vs $100+ for subsidized patients at KKH. Pls note that mummy has to be a subsidised patient if u want bb's NICU charges to be subsidised as well. So mummy cannot ask for private room or choose your own gynae (they will randomly assign to you). To qualify as a subsidised patient there, u have to get a referral letter from polyclinic, who will make an appt w KKH for u. I will get steroid shots at around 30 wks to mature the bb's lungs. Hopefully if I can tahan to at least 35 wks, then I should be able to go back to Dr Kowa n deliver at Mt E without burning a big hole in my pocket.

So the approach of my doctor is not as conservative as yours, he says as long as I'm not on my feet too much, I can still go to work. Just got to take things easy. N try to make sure there's somebody with your wife at all times, in case she bleeds n needs to rush to hospital. Perhaps u can check your insurance coverage, certain shield plans do cover mummies for pregnancy complications, so it can offset your hospitalization bill (not the baby's NICU charges though, which is why it will be good to standby w KKH). I can totally understand both your stress n anxiety, I'm living w the same fears, but we just gotta pray n hope for the best. Jia you, n all the best to the both of you!

hi I was bleeding a lot at week 28 and gynae diagnosed me as placenta previa
was hospitalised for 6 weeks then csect at week 34
strictly bedrest and I wasn't even allowed to bathe

I stayed in Mt. A

Hi
Just happen to read your worries and recapped my experienced 11 years when I was having my first child. The doc already told me I have a very low lying placenta and by 20 weeks for detailed scan then it's confirmed. He told me that I have to go for c section delivery and can't try natural. I would say my whole pregnancy period is very lucky one cos I don bleed and no mc from doc and I work all the way till 38 weeks and then admitted for delivery. No need to worry so much , it is not so serious as it mentioned cos it's case by case all differently. To me I think must think positively , rest and eat regularly. Worries can cause stress and it will have negative impact on the baby and mummy.

Hi

I had a major bleed at week 16 and was hospitalized for a day. During the stay I did a detailed ultrasound scan which did suggest a grade 4 PP but gynae insisted it is still too early to diagnose as there was still a possibility of the placenta moving up.

I was given 1 month hospitalisation leave to rest at home .. Gynae said no point getting warded for weeks at the hospital anyways .. Just rest at home but I am worried should anything happen and baby has b delivered preterm and hence incurring huge cost at private hospital ..

At week 19 now, the placenta seems to be still covering the Os, I am thinking if I should be looking for a backup plan at a structured hospital in case of further bleeds/complication such that I may have to deliver pre term.

Any advice?

TIA

Just sharing my experience as well.

I have just delivered a healthy boy in 37 weeks but my pregnancy journey was roller coaster.
During my first trimester I was hospitalised for kidney infection. I had to be on antibotics as well as NACL to nourished my body to fuel it with sufficient h20.

I am still going to work after the hospitalisation saga.

On my 5th month, I suddenly felt something dropping out of my vagina and then I saw blood flowing out freely....my shorts and legs were so bloody....i was sent to the hospital immediately. I was diagnoised with placenta previa. My stay at the hospital was no standing, only lying dwn, including pee-ing and shitting. That's not all....I was sent to take scans and tests lying dwn....It's all so drama.

I was then informed by gynae that I can no longer return to work as it is too dangerous for both mom and baby.

I am really thankful to have such a great gynae to take great care of me & my company who is so understanding.

Am warded for observation due to sudden bleeding again ;(

Hope all in this journey have a safe pregnancy ..

Remember not to over stress yourself as we have done what we can to prevent as much as possible...

Am warded for observation due to sudden bleeding again ;(

Hope all in this journey have a safe pregnancy ..

Remember not to over stress yourself as we have done what we can to prevent as much as possible...
I think it's work stress that causes the bleeding. Take good care of yourself and your health.

Try re see again kkh there and re insist on it. Ask the dr if they will be responsible if that happens at home.. Usually they will be more scared and re consider..

don't think it's cause by work stress, it's ur own body
my gynae strongly advise me to 100% bed rest, strictly no walking
that's why I stay in the hospital for almost 1 mth before I deliver

Back