Montessori ..... Yes or No?

josiren13

I have friends who had their kids at various Montessori. As you know... there are quite a few locally.
But I have heard that Montessori methods are not quite suitable to our MOE standards.

My DD is only 2. But I'm planning to put her through playgrp..N1..all the way to Kindergarten in the same school of choice.

Near to my home has MindChamps, 2 Montessori (MMI)(Early Years), EagerBeaver and some private home types.

I tried calling ST James, but waitlist is forever.
DD is currently attending GUG..but it is too far in the long run.

What do Montessori mummies feel?
Is it a YES or NO?

Thanks for all your input.... =)

Hihi
Will try to give my opinion. Trying to recall as my princess is now 6.

In Singapore, we do not have childcare ctrs that run full Montessori program. If any center claims they do, my advice is do not register with them. Montessori curriculum is definitely not suitable to our MOE curriculum (you are right in this point).

However having said that, we can inculcate the Montessori methods during the early stages. But once your child is in k1, we as parents have to check that the center's curriculum adhere by MOE P1 standard.

I can't give any comments on any childcare centers as I homeschool my princess (still doing it). I do use Montessori methods and my princess used to attend a 2hrs Montessori phonics and math program, conducted by a home-based teacher (love her a lot!).

So, Montessori methods have more pros during the early stages, but not later stage.

Cheers!

Hi

My 2 kids were both in Montessori pre-school, till the principal decided to close the centre to go for her phd overseas.

I like Montessori method as it is very visual with alot of hands on teaching materials. I feel that this allow the child to understand phonics and maths easier. Also, Montessori teach according to your kid's pace, not according to the school's pace, so your kid is allow to develop and just stay on that particular level to futher strengthen the weak area if he/she is not ready to progress onto the next level. I feel that both my children were able to pick up reading alot earlier and faster than other children.

After the center closed, I had no choice but to put them a another kindergarten near my place. This time, I chose a kindergarten that is using MOE syllabus. Less hands on and visual, more classroom type teaching. I find will not very effective for N1 or N2. K1 and K2 should be ok. They make them memorise readers which I am not comfortable with. But plus point is that they would have already covered the basics of what the children would be learning in P1, so transition to P1 is easier.

But I have also spoken to the Montessori principal abt transitting to P1 cos the methods are different. She confidently said all her students did not have problem transitting in P1, and alot of them excel in their studies as their basics were formed very strongly during K1 and K2.

But different Montessori centers have different methods and values. I visited a Montessori center who, in my opinion, pushes the students too hard. I saw a teacher drilling a K2 sudent with 3 digit vertical addition and subtraction. When I spoke to the principal, they say they will try to make all students excel before leaving at K2, if they do not excel, it make the center lose face. So better to visit a few and compare.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jannie

Thanks for sharing info, I'm also wondering whether to put my boy into childcare centre that conducts kindergarten programs or an actual kindergarten that follows MOE curriculum.

Hi Mummies...

Thanks for sharing... =)

Personally I'm not too wowed about sending my dd to a Montessori sch as I do not want to fuss about sending her to a diff sch for K2-K1.

But then again, other than Eager Beaver( which Im not impressed at all) the rest are either Montessori schools or Learning Vision / Mindchamps etc..
Well, there is little wings... hmm.. but.. not exactly what Im looking at.

What do you mummies feel about Brighton? or Early Years Montessori?
Any mummies have anything to share?
Thanks in advance.... =)

I'm a Montessori homeschooling mummy. (We also use the Shichida Method to complement Montessori.) Kids are 4.5 yo and 21 months old. We're based in KL and plan to send the kids to a local Chinese primary school (i.e. learn subjects in Chinese).

There're many schools that mention they use the Montessori method, but you'd need to understand the method well enough to know if they're true-blue ones. The authentic ones follow the child's pace, give the child freedom within boundaries and offer lots of hands-on manipulatives for independent learning (under teacher's guidance and observation).
I like the method because it's well-rounded, not just focused on academics (while giving a strong foundation). Young children learn to take care of themselves, their peers and environment, and develop the skill to learn independently plus develop a love for learning. These are life-long learning skills that will help them wherever they go in future.

By starting in a Montessori program early on (~2.5 years old), the child will have the time to explore sensorial materials that set a foundation for geometry and mathematics; and develop fine motor skills necessary for writing in future. Toddlers who are ready can also start on initial sounds and sandpaper letters that build a foundation for reading.

My main concern about Montessori preschools is the Chinese (or other second language) curriculum. Expectedly, Dr. Maria Montessori didn't develop a Chinese / Malay / Tamil curriculum, so you'll need to find out how the school teaches this subject. Is it also a strong one based on sound Montessori concepts? (At home, I created my own sandpaper Chinese Strokes, writing worksheets, word / sentence cards, etc. to teach Chinese in a Montessori way.)

Hope this helps. :)

P.S. Feel free to download my free sandpaper Chinese Strokes template here: http://www.mummyshomeschool.com/resources/montessori-printables/)

hi josiren
I've taught in Early Years Montessori for a short while, if it's the one at sunset way you are referring to. If the principal is still Ms Fee, I think your child will be in good hands. She is a committed principal and the school does try to follow Montessori practise as close as possible, unlike another well-known Montessori school who put on show when there are visitors and handle the children roughly.
I've got another job offer then, but I really wanted to work in Early Years at that time as I saw how the children really work on their free will and how discipline was exercised systematically in the school. But like most pre-school, there are turnovers, so there are bound to be better and not so good teachers. I have left the school but I really think Ms Fee is good!

Hi I'm a Montessori mummy who also does Montessori with her own children and others. I really like the method because I see the benefits of a Montessori foundation in my children's mathematics and language development. My older two girls are now in IP secondary school and they have scored A star in PSLE for these subjects. Having a good foundation is very important and what better way to learn than through hand-on, manipulative, stress-free, fun-filled environment with very loving, caring and patient teachers. If you have any questions about montessori, you can email me at [email protected].

I'm also debating between the benefits of right brain training vs montessori. My boy has been w heguru since 7 mth old till now 27mths. He is my first child so i have no comparison. I know the benefits of right brain training but I'm not sure how a 1 hr session a week will make a difference. Its not that i don't know see progress in him, in fact i think he has really good memory at this age. He basically can rem a pile of clothes who there each belong to at 18mths he can do that already. But as i was reading up on montessori i feel they do have their own strength which my boy is very lacking. Eg play independently.
The honest fact is my budget doesn't allow him to go for as many classes as I like him to. The fact is heguru is really very expensive. I m contemplating stopping heguru for montessori enrichment plus a music class.

Yeah I was thinking too.. Independence is really an aspect I would like to have for my child.
Ash Mum I feel you and know what you mean! Heguru is too pricey for me too.. sent my daughter for several months only then back to Shichida. Slightly cheaper though not much, but at least its smaller class size and seated at tables and more hands on activities. Until I found Genius League Academy which is a lot more value for money. a lot cheaper, about 50% longer time than Heguru (1h15 mins vs 45 mins) and about half the cost cos they were having promotion at that time. Think this December they are also having promotion. Really happy to have found them. I would highly recommend it to any parent.

About Montessori, I try to infuse Montessori learning at home. I bought the mini Montessori set and get my daugter to have some 'work' time at home. Montessori has its pros and cons. The pros is it builds independence but then at the same time the system is a lot different from the Spore education system, and some kids I hear encounter some difficulty adjusting to listening to orders and do what is required by the teachers in school cos they are used to doing what they are interested in in Monte setting. So I think while I really love Monte, a balance is in order. A dose of Montessori inspired activities to be balanced with some other forms of learning. In essence all learning must be fun! Cos thats when the child learns best.

Just my two pence worth :)

Sabrina, thanks so much for your input..I'll go read up more abt genius league academy. It will be good if i can find alternative to right brain training at a cheaper price.
I agree that a true blue montessori do not gel w out education system, thats why i decide to send my boy to a conventional kindergarten. But i found a montessori school which provide enrichment classes once a week 1.5hr a session doing purely montessori activities and price wise is v v reasonable, 1/4 of heguru price!! So i thought it will be nice to expose him to montessori thru enrichment and at home i do have montessori materials for him too but i know nuts abt montessori so I'm afraid i can't facilitate his learning.

Ash Mum, I appreciate your inputs too :)
I signed up for some courses on Montessori training, plus you can also find on youtube some videos on how to use the Monte materials. Makes it a lot easier for Monte dummy like me to start working on Monte. Helps a lot. Hope you find them useful too!

Hi
I am also doing homeschooling for my girl who is now 4.
She used to attend a montessori school when she was 18th months and I decided to homeschool her when she was 2 plus.
Montessori methods involve a lot of independent skills and working alone ( which I try to make it sound this way ) as the children are much more independent to do their own task at their own pace. No rush of course in this Singapore stressful hectic country which we are staying.

I would say focus point is more on phonics and maths. But of course I don;t practice true blue montessori which is no timetable for the children and purely true blue.
I did buy some assessment from popular book stores and print out some interesting websites and get on to teach her out of the range of montessori

In the end, is still within your comfort zone and your children how you would like to impart your knowledge of learning without stressing them out.
Hope it help
:)

I prefer Montessori because it combines all necessary things to satisfy kids' needs. Especially I like that a teacher in Montessori schools is only a guide. Kids learn from their experience that they get from their peers and learning materials. Besides, this approach prepares kids for real life and they become independent.
I have a wonderful table attached - Comparison of Montessori and Traditional Approach

Attachments

• Montessori_vs._Traditional_Schools,_Montessori_Approach_to_Education_-_2015-10-14_16.32.00.jpg
    Montessori_vs._Traditional_Schools,_Montessori_Approach_to_Education_-_2015-10-14_16.32.00.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 1,513
Montessori is a method of education that is based on self-directed activity, hands-on learning and collaborative play. Children work in groups and individually to discover and explore knowledge of the world and to develop their maximum potential.

Back