Harmony Test

ragazzadrago

Dear Mummies, have anyone of you did any Harmony test recently? May I know how much is the charges and how accurate is the test?

Dear Mummies, have anyone of you did any Harmony test recently? May I know how much is the charges and how accurate is the test?

i took the test yesterday. drew 2 big tube of blood .. Cost $1.3K before GST ... yet to receive the result have to wait 2-3weeks ... based on what i read the accuracy rate is higher than OSCAR anyway did it for peace of mind

they both test Down's syndrome . the main difference in my Opinion are
a) the accuracy rate ... harmony is higher than oscar for D.S
b) oscar will examine other physical abornamlities other than Down syndrome
c) price ...harmony need to send blood sample to USA hence more exp and take longer time ( 2-3wks) and oscar all done locally and result will be out in 2-3 days

The Harmony test screens for Down’s syndrome and other more unusual chromosomal abnormalities such as Edwards syndrome and Patau syndrome.

OSCAR (One Stop Clinic for the Assessment of Risk), the First Trimester Screening assesses the risk of the baby inside your uterus having Down Syndrome. The most accurate way of estimating the risk of carrying a Down Syndrome baby is by combining the information from (1) the age of the mother, (2) the findings from an ultrasound scan at 11 to 13+6 weeks pregnancy (the nuchal translucency scan) and (3) information obtained from the levels of two hormones (free ß-hCG and PAPP-A) in the mother's blood. In pregnancies affected by Down syndrome, there is a tendency for the levels of free ß-hCG to be increased and PAPP-A to be decreased. The nuchal translucency scan is an ultrasound scan performed between 11 and 13+6 weeks of pregnancy, during which the fluid at the back of the baby's neck (the nuchal translucency) is measured. All babies will have some fluid here but in babies with Down Syndrome, the fluid tends to be increased. The fetal anatomy will also be examined as there are some physical abnormalities that may be diagnosed at this stage of pregnancy. The fetal skull and brain, the nasal bone, the arms, the legs, the stomach, the spine, the abdomen and the bladder will be examined. This scan should be done by a trained personnel accredited by the Fetal Medicine Foundation.

they both test Down's syndrome . the main difference in my Opinion are
a) the accuracy rate ... harmony is higher than oscar for D.S
b) oscar will examine other physical abornamlities other than Down syndrome
c) price ...harmony need to send blood sample to USA hence more exp and take longer time ( 2-3wks) and oscar all done locally and result will be out in 2-3 days

The Harmony test screens for Down’s syndrome and other more unusual chromosomal abnormalities such as Edwards syndrome and Patau syndrome.

OSCAR (One Stop Clinic for the Assessment of Risk), the First Trimester Screening assesses the risk of the baby inside your uterus having Down Syndrome. The most accurate way of estimating the risk of carrying a Down Syndrome baby is by combining the information from (1) the age of the mother, (2) the findings from an ultrasound scan at 11 to 13+6 weeks pregnancy (the nuchal translucency scan) and (3) information obtained from the levels of two hormones (free ß-hCG and PAPP-A) in the mother's blood. In pregnancies affected by Down syndrome, there is a tendency for the levels of free ß-hCG to be increased and PAPP-A to be decreased. The nuchal translucency scan is an ultrasound scan performed between 11 and 13+6 weeks of pregnancy, during which the fluid at the back of the baby's neck (the nuchal translucency) is measured. All babies will have some fluid here but in babies with Down Syndrome, the fluid tends to be increased. The fetal anatomy will also be examined as there are some physical abnormalities that may be diagnosed at this stage of pregnancy. The fetal skull and brain, the nasal bone, the arms, the legs, the stomach, the spine, the abdomen and the bladder will be examined. This scan should be done by a trained personnel accredited by the Fetal Medicine Foundation.
Thanks for the info!

Dear PTB7674, may I know where you did the test? My gynea quote me $2k which is very pricy.
I did it at my gynae 's clinic aka ACJ at Thomas medical ..
Yah read on forum a lot of mummies were quoted or charged $2k and was mentality prepared to pay $2k when my gynae told me they got deal with the us counterpart so only $1.3k before gst

Yes Dr Phua charges is reasonable. Btw he previously do not offer such test as I requested him to check for me. If Oscar test did not turn out well, I wouldn't suggest you to go for Harmony test instead u may want to consider Amnio Test. Coz you will be paying double charges if the result is still bad. Of coz Amnio test has its own risk but up to individual to decide.

Yes Dr Phua charges is reasonable. Btw he previously do not offer such test as I requested him to check for me. If Oscar test did not turn out well, I wouldn't suggest you to go for Harmony test instead u may want to consider Amnio Test. Coz you will be paying double charges if the result is still bad. Of coz Amnio test has its own risk but up to individual to decide.

yes harmony test is still optional . and i do agreed if oscar result no good dun waste time go harmony go straight to amnio ....

for my case , i am high risk ( maternal age) so my gynae offered me both... oscar is more to screen other abnormalities and harmony is more for DS ...and since it is fully paid by my hubby's company i jsut take both :p
i just got a call from clinic this morning my oscar result is out and i passed hehehe... if i am paying out of my own pocket , i likely just go for oscar cos it is as good too...since my 1st born we only have oscar to rely on and it is good enuff for me lolz

If I am given a choice, I wouldnt do both. Coz they are not accurate. I will go straight to Dr Anada to do all my scannings. =)

If I am given a choice, I wouldnt do both. Coz they are not accurate. I will go straight to Dr Anada to do all my scannings. =)
lolz.. i notice this dr is highly recommended in forums ...esp after oscar result is out ...
well guess it is individual choice ...

He is a well known and experience Dr. Everyone in the same field knows him. =)
BTW I dont find DR Phua good.

He is a well known and experience Dr. Everyone in the same field knows him. =)
BTW I dont find DR Phua good.

i never say he is good i said he is cheap :D

no doubt Dr Anada is popular but i guess most pple still prefer to rely on test result before going directly to him

Yup. You will need to tell him what test you want to do other than the detailed scans. He will always tell you dont waste money and it's optional.
Pretty rough. He is outdated. My friend approached him to do a 3 hole operation for cyst. He cant do it and instead advise my friend that she needs to be cut. If you want cost savings, you can look for him as he will not push you to buy this and that like any other gynea.

Hippo78, dr aranda's genetic scan is $450 now?? I did 2 years back it was only $380.. thats a pretty sharp adjustment. Woah.. i still thought the prices are $450

Ash mum, I called to fix an appt a month ago and the reception confirmed the price with me.
I'm still contemplating whether I should go next month or give up the slot to others.

Oh yes. I jus confirmed w my friend who went earlier this year, indeed $450.
Hippo78, are you doing harmony test? If yes i guess no need for genetic scan

Since you are doing oscar i suggest you wait for results to be out. If the result is good then leave it. If the results are not good then go for genetic scan for 2nd opinion.

Hi ladies, I just receive my OSCAR test results, quite bad for T21.

Background risk 1:226
Adjusted risk 1:127 due to my blood test and my maternal age of 36.

But the screening turns out my baby has good results with NT 1.5mm and high nasal bone of 2.4mm.

My gynae suggests me to take the Harmony test next week. I'm pretty devastated. I hope this is a false alarm.

Hi ladies, I just receive my OSCAR test results, quite bad for T21.

Background risk 1:226
Adjusted risk 1:127 due to my blood test and my maternal age of 36.

But the screening turns out my baby has good results with NT 1.5mm and high nasal bone of 2.4mm.

My gynae suggests me to take the Harmony test next week. I'm pretty devastated. I hope this is a false alarm.

@hippo78 - Dont worry I'm sure it is just a false alarm. If u google on oscar and those reviews, alot of mummies have false positive becoz oscar takes the mum's age + NT scan value + some other stuffs can calculate a PROBABILITY. So if u r older, generally the probability will be higher. U have a gd NT & nasal bone result, so dont worry.. The mummies will usually go for harmony or genetic scan with prof ananda subsequently. Mayb u can read up on both and see which you are more comfortable with.

For Harmony Test, they use your blood (which also contains the fetal blood) and test in lab for the chromosomes using some cell-free DNA testing, so it is more accurate (99%) & not a probability. Hence, I actually skip the oscar test and went straight to harmony test becoz this is usually the recommended test after a bad oscar result. So i tink i will save $ and just jump to the harmony test.

Thanks icyjol. In the first place, I told my gynae i do not want to take the OSCAR test, i wanna go straight to HARMONY. But he persuade me to try OSCAR test first, and if OSCAR test return the results as low risk then i do not have to spend on HARMONY.

I should have stand firm and insisted on HARMONY.
My hubby say how can we believe based on probability, and he is unwilling to accept the readings just because of my blood test.
Anyway i am going for my blood test tomorrow in the morning.
Results will be out before Christmas.

Hi does anyone know whether do I need to fast one day before drawing the blood ?

Last edited:
Thanks icyjol. In the first place, I told my gynae i do not want to take the OSCAR test, i wanna go straight to HARMONY. But he persuade me to try OSCAR test first, and if OSCAR test return the results as low risk then i do not have to spend so much on HARMONY.

I should have stand firm and insist on HARMONY. My hubby say how can we believe on probability, and he is not willing to accept the readings just because of the blood test.
Anyway i am going for my blood test tomorrow in the morning.
Results will be out before Christmas.

Hi does anyone know whether do I need to fast one day before drawing the blood ?
no fasting required for harmony

Thanks PTB7674!

Yup, no fasting required but hor.. they draw a huge syringe of blood.. n the syringe needle is super big & thick.. i c liao also scared.. when they finish drawing the blood i actually felt abit giddy but i sat down n rest awhile and was ok. Mine my gynae draw the blood himself, I saw him injecting into a labelled packet to send to US. I m still waiting for results, i hope everything is alrite.. 2 weeks later the clinic will call me once they received results to book appt for me to review results.

gee.... @icyjol thanks for the info, you also went for the HARMONY test last week ?
I am not scared of injection at all. They can draw as much blood as they like, all I hope is my baby well and fine.

in case you all din realised.. harmony test also allow you to know the gender for the bb ...since already paid for the test might as well include gender request

My gynae did mentioned we will get to know the gender for this test.
By right I should be excited about it, but somehow i'm in low spirits these few days.

gee.... @icyjol thanks for the info, you also went for the HARMONY test last week ?
I am not scared of injection at all. They can draw as much blood as they like, all I hope is my baby well and fine.

Yup, I did mine last week and was traumatised by the huge syringe. I tink I look abit scared so when my gynae was inspecting both my arms to see which is easier to draw blood I shun abit and the nurse asked me not to move and dont be scared.. haha..

My gynae did mentioned we will get to know the gender for this test.
By right I should be excited about it, but somehow i'm in low spirits these few days.
that is because you are troubled by your oscar result .. dont think so much

Just completed the whole process. It's not scary at all. They drew 2 tubes of blood from me, whereas OSCAR test they drew 3. Total cost $1391 after gst.

Just received results of harmony test (turn around time is 10-14 days as they need to send the blood samples to the states). Decided to go straight to harmony test after hearing our gynae's analysis of the pros and cons of both harmony and oscar. Basically we wanted to have a peace of mind as harmony yields a 99.9% accuracy. Paid 1k at Irene Chua's clinic. Found out baby's sex through the sex chromosomes analysis as well.

i am still counting down....... By the way, do they email the scan report to the clinic first , then send the hard copy after that ?

Back