Recent Articles

Editorial

Cherish Those Fleeting Childhood Years

mother-baby-624x300.jpg

It has been said that cutting the umbilical cord is painless, but cutting the apron string hurts. As my son passed each milestone on his journey toward independence, I felt a tugging at my heartstrings as I slowly released him. Letting go has not been without struggle. Part of me looked forward to him growing […]

Continue reading...

The Hmmm Strategy: Teach your child to Learn Independently

boy-writing-crop.jpg

In the course of teaching children and coaching parents, I have observed a very interesting phenomenon that I shall call “All Or Nothing.” You see, when the children are very young (and the syllabus is very easy) parents are motivated to sit with their little ones to complete their work. The reasons are as follows… […]

Continue reading...

Loving your Post-Pregnancy Body

belly-cream-crop.jpg

You may be surprised by how your body looks and feels after you give birth. If you worried about your size when you were younger, your uneasiness about your body may reach new heights. Or you may find that you return to your pre-baby size very quickly. Or you may be unperturbed by body changes. […]

Continue reading...

Year-end Holiday Activities Planner (2014)

running-kids-624x300.jpg

Don’t wait until the report cards are handed out and the teacher-parent meetings are over to start planning your child’s year-end activity calendar. There are loads of events to enjoy during the November-December holidays and they start as early as this weekend! FOR YOUNGER ONES Water the Imagination For the first time, tiny tots of […]

Continue reading...

The Beauty of the French Education System

kids-thumbs-up-crop.jpg

In France, compulsory schooling starts at the age of six. Many parents though, start sending their toddlers to “maternelle” — the French version of playgroup, nursery and kindergarten — when they are three years old. I am a Singaporean who has been living in Europe for over a decade. My eldest child attends school in […]

Continue reading...

Helping Mothers Return to Work

kitchen-counter-work-crop.jpg

Are you a stay-at-home-mum who gave up your career to raise her child? If so, you are one of the 31.8 per cent of females aged 25 and above whom the Labour Movement would like to help get back to work. “In view of the longer life span of women and to ensure they have […]

Continue reading...

Be a Doctor For A Day (+ Giveaway!)

Mount-Elizabeth-DFAD-App-WARD-MAP1.jpg

Get your scrubs on! We’ve been checking out the new Doctor for a Day educational app developed by Mount Elizabeth Hospitals. This is a first-of-its-kind free edutainment app designed by a healthcare provider where a child can earn points, unlock achievements and win real doctor toys. Different toys are available for redemption at different periods, […]

Continue reading...

Get Moving, Build Brains!

toddlers-pulling-wagon.jpg

“The first five years of a child’s life are the most important for brain development.” How many times have you heard this? Too many? Well that’s because it’s true. SingaporeMotherhood meets with Dr Jane Williams, director of research and education at KindyROO, to find out how getting active can help your child learn better. KindyROO […]

Continue reading...

50 fun and free things to do in Singapore with Kids!

IMG_9405.jpg

Singapore is the 4th most visited city in the world, according to Forbes. From food to fun, quiet activities to energetic events, there’s something for everyone. But is there a price tag to everything? Thankfully, no! In celebration of SG50 (Singapore turning 50 next year), we’ve put together a list of 50 things you can […]

Continue reading...

SM X’Mas Giveaway: Win a Bosch Athlet Cordless Handstick Vacuum Cleaner worth $649

xmas-gift-tags.jpg

I never thought I’d put housework in the same sentence as the words ‘freedom’ and ‘liberation’. Then I met the Bosch Athlet, the German multinational’s first cordless handstick vacuum cleaner with the cleaning performance of a 2,400w vacuum cleaner and the longest runtime of up to 60 minutes. No cable. No strings attached. Total convenience. […]

Continue reading...

Using Epidural for Normal Delivery

epidural1.jpg

As a first-time mother, I spent 16 hours in labor. Going in and out of a pain I had never experienced before, I remember being told to curl up on my side “like a prawn” and not to move a muscle. The nurse held me still while a young doctor injected something into my spine. […]

Continue reading...

8 Budget Holiday Activities in Singapore for Kids

baking-hearts-crop.jpg

Given the plethora of activities lined up for the school holidays, sending your child for everything on his wish list would probably cost a small fortune. Why not take this opportunity to teach your child an important life skill of budgeting? By setting your child a fixed holiday budget and encouraging him to replace some […]

Continue reading...

Editor’s Picks: 12 Gifts of Christmas

banner1.jpg

It’s the most wonderful time of the year and we’ve been scouting around to find good stuff in stores and out there this Christmas for mums, dads, babies, kids, and all who have love in their hearts. Perhaps you’ll find something to put under the tree – for yourself – too! For the Littliest Ones […]

Continue reading...

SM Blogmum: 8 ways to Teach Thankfulness to Children

cranes.jpg

Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others. — Cicero In view of the relative cushiness here in Singapore, it’s hard for children to run away from feelings of entitlement. Even as a parent who tries to be frugal, I fall prey to the shopping bug from time to […]

Continue reading...

Financial Savvy for Kids in the 21st Century

abacus.jpg

Ernest Tan, the author of Raising Financially Savvy Kids, believes that it is crucial for children to learn money management skills. In fact, says the father of three, money management is a vital life skill that children need to have in order to surf the waves of financial instability in today’s world. There’s even an […]

Continue reading...

DIY: “Rolling Good Times” Train Photo Frame

Candle-Train-crop.jpg

2014, with all its high and low points, is drawing to a close. What were some memorable events that had taken place for you and your child this year? Perhaps it was a new addition to the family, your child’s first concert performance or a long-awaited family holiday abroad? Author Robert Brault once advised: “Enjoy […]

Continue reading...

Preparing and Supporting Your Child in Primary School

Preparing-and-Supporting-Your-Child-in-Primary-School.jpg

Entering primary school is a milestone for many children. It marks the beginning of their formal education and can be a huge leap from the more relaxed setting of a kindergarten or pre-school. For some children, this change can be scary, especially on their first day in a big school building surrounded by unfamiliar faces. […]

Continue reading...

The Importance of Play in Early Childhood

streamer-girl.jpg

“I want to play. I want to play…” Frank pleaded, but his mother refused as she wanted her four-year-old to go for his Chinese enrichment class. Is play important? Should I let my child play or go for classes? In a results-oriented society like ours, it is unsurprising that some parents find themselves facing this […]

Continue reading...

Should my Child have a Mobile Phone?

mobile-phone-illustration-crop.jpg

Your child goes to primary school in a few days. Should you get him or her a mobile phone? As a parent who has waited for my children at the gates at release time, I have seen numerous children, even those in Primary 1, whip their mobile devices out immediately upon emerging from the school […]

Continue reading...

A Look Back At 2014: Top 10 Child & Family Centred Events

Outrage, fear and surprise were some of the emotions triggered by these events which made it to our Top 10 list. Here’s a look at what made the headlines in the realms of children and family in 2014. We would like to wish all our readers a Happy New Year! 1. Ruffling Feathers: […]

Continue reading...

Diastasis Recti: Not Just A Baby Belly

belly-crop.jpg

That post-baby tummy fat you’ve been carrying around might just be a condition called diastasis recti. Don’t worry, this condition is usually harmless. It is a well-known fact that some effects of pregnancy on your body last long after your baby is born. One fairly common condition in the postpartum period is diastasis recti. This […]

Continue reading...

How to Save $4,500 in Baby’s First Year

baby-piggy-bank-reduced.jpg

Having a baby is an expensive affair. Your bill for pre-natal check-ups and delivery at a local hospital can easily exceed the Baby Bonus which you will receive – and we haven’t even begun counting the cost of purchasing baby necessities yet! However, we have done the sums (you can thank us later :) and […]

Continue reading...

Interior Adjustments for An Auspicious Year Ahead!

dulux-copperorange__1420724196_202.166.31.90-2.jpg

Earlier on Tuesday, AkzoNobel, the world’s largest paints and coatings company, and Way OnNet Group, a local geomancy consultancy firm, came together to provide an informative session on designing positive interior spaces at the Raffles Hotel. A global study of international trends by AkzoNobel has designated ‘copper orange’ as Colour of The Year for 2015. […]

Continue reading...

10 Tips to Console The Inconsolables

iStock_000010665240Large__1420186437_202.166.69.203.jpg

Have you ever gazed teary-eyed at the sweet angel-like face of your baby while he or she is asleep? Don’t you just feel like the luckiest person in the world to be blessed with such a little bundle of joy? News flash – unfortunately, babies do not remain sleeping cherubic angels forever. They could be […]

Continue reading...

Spring Cleaning 101: Do It The Scotch-Brite™ Way!

cleaning-hacks1__1420795617_202.166.27.27.jpg

The Lunar New Year will be here before you know it, and that means spring cleaning will be on the to-do list for many families. (we hear your groans!) Thank God for the miracle that is Scotch-Brite™, 3M’s trademarked brand! The range of cleaning products guarantees maximum satisfaction with minimal effort. Start incorporating them into […]

Continue reading...

KidZania: More than just costumes and props

Artist-Impression_Night1.jpg

“If I can dream, I can act. If I can act, I can be.” This, in a nutshell, is the ideal that KidZania holds for children everywhere. And when KidZania Singapore opens on Sentosa’s Palawan Beach in the second half of this year, this city for the pint-sized promises to empower and inspire our young […]

Continue reading...

When Your Child Has An Ear Infection

Child-covering-ears-against-loud-noise__1421248749_202.166.65.202.jpg

If your child has been pulling at his ears or complaining of pain in his ears, do not ignore him. He could be having an ear infection. Left untreated, this could lead to damaged eardrums which require surgery to correct. Types of Ear Infections in Children Middle ear infections are particularly common in babies and […]

Continue reading...

Homeschooling As An Option

iStock_000027474044Large__1420186559_202.166.69.203.jpg

The mandatory six-year primary school education scheme was implemented in 2003 in Singapore. Apart from government, autonomous and independent schools, there are a handful of choices for alternative educational paths in Singapore, such as San Yu Adventist School, Madrasahs and Victory Life Christian School. However, there are a minority of Singaporean students who do not […]

Continue reading...

She’s Back to Her Fann-tastic Figure!

MFB-x-FW-2.jpg

World renowned slimming experts Marie France Bodyline unveiled their new celebrity spokesperson, Singaporean actress Fann Wong, to the media on 7 January 2015 at 72-13, Mohd Sultan Road. The event, themed “A Time to Celebrate”, featured Fann Wong showing off her chic new postnatal figure. It also celebrated her path into motherhood as well as […]

Continue reading...

A New Centre for Fertility

015.jpg

The Virtus Fertility Centre, which officially opened in Scotts Medical Centre yesterday, is a new fertility centre with Singapore’s first ISO accredited ‘clean room’ embryology laboratory and an automated radio frequency identification system to ensure that samples from couples will not be mixed up. Its level of safety, the Centre’s Medical Director Dr Roland Chieng […]

Continue reading...

Integrating A Child with Dyslexia

girlfriends-crop.jpg

Children with dyslexia often struggle when it comes to integrating with their peers. Because children with this condition may find it hard mingle and communicate with others, their social lives suffer. “Besides making reading and other language-based tasks difficult, dyslexia can also affect a child’s social skills,” confirms Fanny Foo, Director of Learning Centres and […]

Continue reading...

Another Family-Friendly Dining Option For Consideration

restaurant-interior.jpg

You now have an addition to your list of family-friendly dining choices on our sunny island. If you are on the lookout for buffet-style restaurants and you live in the North-east region, you are in luck! The Sakura chain of restaurants opened the doors of its Sakura International Buffet at Yio Chu Kang on 22 […]

Continue reading...

Juggling Motherhood & Entrepreneurship: A Chat with Tjin Lee

DSC_0377__1421911466_202.166.31.90.jpg

She started off as an Advertising & Public Relations Executive and has scaled greater heights since then. Being the founder and CEO of the award-winning Mercury Group of companies comprising Mercury Events, Mercury PR, Mercury Creative and Mercury Marketing & Communications, are just a few of Tjin Lee’s numerous accolades. She is also the founder […]

Continue reading...

Grooming for New Mothers

iStock_000011185393Large__1422794314_202.166.19.33.jpg

Pregnancy is an arduous process which takes a toll on just about every aspect of a woman’s physical and emotional health. We reckon it qualifies as a legitimate reason to pamper yourselves silly. If you are not sure where to start, we have made the task easier for you by putting together this list of […]

Continue reading...

5 Getaways to Reclaim that Pre-Baby Spark (yes, even with the kids in tow!)

LAN_230.jpg

For a parent, going on vacation with the kids is often like – not going on one at all. How many times have you returned home thinking, ‘Gosh, I need a holiday to recover from this holiday!’? That is why, with Valentine’s Day on the horizon and lots of long weekends to look forward to […]

Continue reading...

Baking with Kids: Easy CNY Cookies

cookies-main-crop.jpg

Baking with kids can be a messy affair, especially when it involves flour and raw ingredients. But it can be done. We like these two classic, no-fail, child-friendly recipes. We’ve given them a festive twist for the Lunar New Year season. Why not whip up a couple of batches together and share them with friends […]

Continue reading...

Lunar New Year Fashion for New Mums

featured-image.jpg

Finding the perfect outfits to don and dazzle everyone with during the festive season can be quite a Herculean task; especially if you are pregnant or are stuck in that tricky transition stage – having just had a baby and attempting to regain your pre-baby figure. If you still have not decided on a set […]

Continue reading...

DIY & Giveaway: “Goat Xi Fa Cai” Food Art Bento with 3M™ Scotch®

main-pic.jpg

Frankly, kitchen domestics make me go “blaaaah”. I’m chicken about chopping. What if I accidentally slice off the tops of my fingers together with the carrots? Cooking a simple meal for the kids can take an entire afternoon, because I’ll be carefully cutting each and every slice into the same exact proportions and arranging every […]

Continue reading...

Plan your Finances as a Couple, a Family, and with a Newborn

rings.jpg

How do you plan financially for your new family? Ms Ho Lee Yen, Chief Marketing Officer of AIA Singapore, shares some pointers. Valentine’s Day is the time of year when couples come together to show their love and appreciation for each other. Besides spending romantic moments together, celebrating life-long partnerships is also about fulfilling our […]

Continue reading...

KidsSTOP: Where The Learning Never Stops!

featured-image1.jpg

The Science Centre Singapore has been around for 37 years and is constantly foraying into fresh areas of interest in order to widen the horizons for learning as far as our little ones are concerned. KidsSTOP is one of the establishment’s newer exhibitions, which spans a hefty 3000 square metres! This one-of-its-type edutainment hub in […]

Continue reading...

ADHD: What You Need to Know

iStock_000006214643Large__1423930617_202.166.26.223.jpg

Alex*, a five-year-old boy, has been on his mother’s nerves. Although most three-year-olds can dress themselves, Alex is still unable to dress himself sometimes. When outdoors, he does not walk, but chooses to jump, skip, or run instead. He likes to keep his hands occupied by tearing paper into tiny pieces. At school, he would […]

Continue reading...

5 Fun Places to Enjoy the Lunar New Year

legoland-CNY.jpg

When I was young, Chinese New Year meant visiting friends and relatives, collecting red packets, and feasting at their homes. Shops were shut. The neighbourhood was a ghost town. You had to cook, or starve. These days, things are very different. The NTUC outlet near my home is open 24 hours throughout the festive season, […]

Continue reading...

Juggling Life with Two Kids

book-blanket.jpg

If looking after one child, maintaining a house and working from home can be described as a juggle, then the arrival of my second child has turned it into a struggle! Through interacting with other mothers, I am realising that my struggles are not unique. While there may not be an ideal solution to strike […]

Continue reading...

Design Scoop: Le Petit Society Spring/Summer 2015

LePetitSociety_opener.jpg

Just two years in the making, Le Petit Society could be considered a mere sapling in the fashion industry. But thanks to thoughtful design, quality fabrics, and winsome details, this boutique baby and children’s wear label is spreading its reach far and wide. I’m bewitched by the dreamy Spring/Summer 2015 collection which calls to mind […]

Continue reading...

March School Holiday Activities for Kids in Singapore (2015)

MowsIJrl-JzlbVOigaBqBjlZqBzrhPFhvE5PkTUPzkY.jpeg

Congratulations! You (and the kids) have made it through the first school term of the year. That’s 10 whole weeks! You’re probably looking forward to the first school holiday of the year — the March holidays — as well as a break from routine, early waking, and uniforms. What to do then? How about one […]

Continue reading...

15 Singaporean Authors (& Celebs) & Their Favourite Childhood Books

As a child, you’ve probably read Catherine Lim‘s novels or studied them as Literature texts in school. But did you know that as a child, this award-winning writer, political commentator, and guest lecturer loved reading Enid Blyton books? She then “went on to devour the William books by another English author Richmal Crompton”, the “doyenne […]

Continue reading...

Take Charge of Your Body: PCOS & Fertility

baby-sleep.jpg

If you have been trying for a baby but have yet to be successful, you may want to check if you have a condition called Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). While this may not sound familiar, it is more common than you think. According to Dr Tan Toh Lick from Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at […]

Continue reading...

10 Free Online Tools for Parents & Kids

mother-child-tablet.jpg

The first Youtube kids app was launched a few weeks ago. As a parent I have always been wary of giving my children access to apps. But this app was built from ground up with kids in mind, making it safer and easier for young ones to find educational videos that they want to watch, […]

Continue reading...

8 Common Baby & Child Skin Problems

iStock_000003097363Large__1425034569_202.166.65.9.jpg

The skin of newborns may be flaky and dry because it has yet to mature. A young child’s skin is delicate and therefore vulnerable to becoming dry too. Lessening exposure to soapy water, chlorine and salt water as well as keeping children well-hydrated will help to maintain healthy skin. However, the possibility of children experiencing […]

Continue reading...

8 Lessons (for Parents) with Primary 1 Kids

girltalk-crop.jpg

Gosh, time seems to have flown. It’s the end of the first school term and the whole family seems to have survived relatively well. Here are some lessons which I have learnt since my daughter started Primary 1 this year. Lesson 1: Communication is Vital You can’t help your child if you don’t know what’s wrong. […]

Continue reading...

Back