Toilet training in childcare centers

Dear mums,

I have a 26 mth old boy. He is considered toilet trained at hm. Can tell me "shish shish" whenever he needs to pass urine. Only wear diaper when he sleeps at night.

So I requested teachers at CCC to train him as well. Dun wish to confuse him. But he don't want to tell teachers when he needs to pee. Either wet his pants or hold his urine. Teachers are not happy when we say give him more time.

I asked ard. A few mums told me yes, will create some mess in the beginning. But it's no choice. Ya We also took some time at hm before he can tell us his need.

Any experience you can share on toilet training in CCC? How to get the child start telling to the teacher his need like wat he did at hm? Any way we can help the teacher?

Many thanks in advance !

Dear mums,

I have a 26 mth old boy. He is considered toilet trained at hm. Can tell me "shish shish" whenever he needs to pass urine. Only wear diaper when he sleeps at night.

So I requested teachers at CCC to train him as well. Dun wish to confuse him. But he don't want to tell teachers when he needs to pee. Either wet his pants or hold his urine. Teachers are not happy when we say give him more time.

I asked ard. A few mums told me yes, will create some mess in the beginning. But it's no choice. Ya We also took some time at hm before he can tell us his need.

Any experience you can share on toilet training in CCC? How to get the child start telling to the teacher his need like wat he did at hm? Any way we can help the teacher?

Many thanks in advance !

Hi! I strongly believe that he knows that he needs to say he wants to pee or poo as he is toilet trained at home.
But however, he is too shy or worried about the surroundings as he may not feel comfortable telling or going to the toilet himself as what he does at home.
In Child Care Centre, I feel that the teachers should be more patience with him to get him comfortable and slowly get him to go the toilet to do his business. Teachers are supposed to be like a step parents as children spend most of the time there rather than being at home. Its their duty to take initiative to teach, not all children are fast learner and are able to adapt to new environment. He is still a little child. Dont rush things as it may upset him. Just keep teaching him even he is at home, and keep saying "hey baby you are a good boy" whenever he goes to the toilet, try to bribe him with his favourite sweet and chocolates whenever he goes to the toilet and do his business. He will motivates him and he will continuosly start doing it on his own and get the teachers to motivate or bribe him with chocolates and sweets whenever he does it. But its little hard, for the teachers to do that as there are many other children there. But just take time and repeatedly keep teaching and bribing him till he gets it. And he will be the smartest baby. All the best!

Hi, that's completely normal. At that age, some toddlers may be independent with toileting at home but not in sch. U must remember that the toilet environment is completely different from home n he may be more comfy with u bringing him to toilet rather than with teachers at this pt. I would suggest that when u arrive at the centre with him in the morning, go a little earlier n make it a habit to bring him to the toilet for a pee. Talk abt the surrounding in the toilet (eg if there are cute murals or stickers in the toilet) to make him excited abt using the toilet. Remove his pants at the toilet bowl n encourage, "come n shish..shish (since he's familiar with that term). If nothing, then just tell him, "it's ok, we try later ok? tell teacher if u want to shish shish". This is a way to make him used to the idea of toileting in the sch toilet. Meanwhile, continue to motivate him at home n just tell the teacher to follow up with him during the day n try to bring him along to the toilet when other boys who are toilet trained need to go n pee so that he will realise that other kids do it too. It will take a while for him to adjust but don't scold him or ask the teachers to force him to be toilet trained cos it will do more harm than good. I would not encourage bribery using food esp unhealthy snacks. Stickers would be a better alternative.

Hi, that's completely normal. At that age, some toddlers may be independent with toileting at home but not in sch. U must remember that the toilet environment is completely different from home n he may be more comfy with u bringing him to toilet rather than with teachers at this pt. I would suggest that when u arrive at the centre with him in the morning, go a little earlier n make it a habit to bring him to the toilet for a pee. Talk abt the surrounding in the toilet (eg if there are cute murals or stickers in the toilet) to make him excited abt using the toilet. Remove his pants at the toilet bowl n encourage, "come n shish..shish (since he's familiar with that term). If nothing, then just tell him, "it's ok, we try later ok? tell teacher if u want to shish shish". This is a way to make him used to the idea of toileting in the sch toilet. Meanwhile, continue to motivate him at home n just tell the teacher to follow up with him during the day n try to bring him along to the toilet when other boys who are toilet trained need to go n pee so that he will realise that other kids do it too. It will take a while for him to adjust but don't scold him or ask the teachers to force him to be toilet trained cos it will do more harm than good. I would not encourage bribery using food esp unhealthy snacks. Stickers would be a better alternative.

Yes, stickers and other exciting gifts/toys will encourage him. I agree with you. Too much of unhealthy snacks is bad too. :)

Past few days, could feel his frustration when he goes hm. Found out from teacher that they taught him sat on toilet bowl, which is different from hm. We let him pee on the drainage area in toilet then wash with water. He dun like the potty. Dun wish let him stand on stool in front of toilet bowl in case he did that himself when we do not notice. After talking to the teacher, they let him stand at the kid's toilet bowl and he did it. He also start to tell the teacher his need. Although got some accidents due to being too engrossed with play kinda of thing. But it's a gd start. Really needs lotsa encouragement for the boy.

Hi mums, I was a toddler class teacher and this is what I shared with parents about toilet training in school:
  • Bring 2 to 3 sets of clothes. Accidental urinating is bound to happen in the beginning.
  • Put 1 or 2 pull-up diapers. This is useful if you pick your child up later timing, when the class teachers ended their shifts. Pull-up diaper is worn during nap time. I remove nap time diaper once the child has dry diapers after nap for 3 to 5 consecutive days, depends on the age as well.
  • Communicate with your teachers about how you toilet train your child at home so the teachers can try their best to do the same in school.
  • Every half an hour to one hour I will ask the child if he needs to go (accidents will still happen)
  • Give the teacher time to study your child's "pre-pee-pee" behaviors. For example it took me more than a week to realise a child will do a "little dance" when she is urgent. Share with the teachers if your child exhibit certain behavior when he or she needs to go.
Hope this helps! Happy toilet training!

Sorry to hijack your pist Can i ask what age to start toilet training? My son is now 20 months but shows no signs of being ready. How do i begin? I would like to start soon

Hi jayda! Have been letting my boy off-diaper a few hrs a day since baby time to air his bum. When he turned 13mths, started telling him more to tell mummy if he needs shish shish. And brought the potty to him every 15 minutes. He always pee on his pants.

When he turn 26 mth, he suddenly told me shish shish for the first time. I was too excited n forgot abt the potty. Brought him to the bathroom to pee n he did it. So I bring him to bathroom fr that time onwards.

I feel it's kinda of waiting for the right time. U may can start telling him wat he needs to do early. He"ll hear. Once ready n after "much practice", he surely can do it.

Jia you!

Back