(2015/05) May 2015 Mummies

sin nee, he could have just told me need to emergency c-sect and I wouldn't have any hesitation! just that he felt that we didn't need to spend that extra amount of money.
He is a doc with good ethics. Indeed heartbreaking if baby needs to be in icu. Rest well and take things easy..

sin nee, thanks! praying for a smooth and uneventful pregnancy. :D

my nausea is back again and will probably last till bedtime. so much for hoping to have a better day today. usually by this time, I'd have drank a cup of Milo and munched on 2 breads. totally zero appetite the past few days.

my nausea is back again and will probably last till bedtime. so much for hoping to have a better day today. usually by this time, I'd have drank a cup of Milo and munched on 2 breads. totally zero appetite the past few days.

Hey, just to share, I read that nausea/vomiting has a big relation to magnesium deficiency and high stress level which feeds the h. Pylori in our stomach system.

I am gonna up my magnesium intake starting from today. Hope I see a difference soon after filling up whatever deficiency I have.
I'm not surprised if I'm deficient in all nutrients given the amount of vomiting I've got. I didn't think I am that serious though my gynae diagnosed me with HG. At this point I am just desperate to try anything safe that can get me out of this sickness phase.

I got the info from stevenandersonfamily.blogspot.com and it's amazing because she has got HG with her first 7 pregnancies and her findings and new diet (not just magnesium only) actually worked for her last pregnancy bringing the nausea down to 10% of what she would get usually.

Keep your supplements going ladies!

Same as me. I saw my weight is declining every visit. I am week 14 and havnt gain anything. Food makes me feel nausea but cant deny I am hungry. Hungry but cant eat. Torturing! Take bus and mrt also make me feel sick. Mrt leh.. i thot it should be fine. Sob sob..

@isenggirl i feel exactly same as you. Public transport especially MRT makes me nauseous. Food makes me nauseous as well. I totally feel you. Fret not, you are not alone. Hope things turns out better for us from now on.

Hang in there @starrymommy. Could have been you have too much on your mind? Everything will work out just fine. Jia you

happycsk, interesting! I will go back and see if my multivit contains Magnesium or not.

BubsandBloms, thank you. :) yes a bit stressed out. new maid and #2 having high fever for 2 days. plus work. not a very good mix huh?

happycsk, interesting! I will go back and see if my multivit contains Magnesium or not.

BubsandBloms, thank you. :) yes a bit stressed out. new maid and #2 having high fever for 2 days. plus work. not a very good mix huh?

Think multi vit definitely have! Maybe you just too stressed recently....

Starrymommy, gosh tat must had been vy worrying situation for u then. & last min, juz go to any gynae available is scary too.
Hope it will b a smooth & safe delivery for all of us.
Take gd care!

I heard from a friend that the pregnancy policy will be auto converted to child policy once baby is born. Not sure can claim what during pregnancy though and what's the purpose of the policy.

I am also blurred when my gynae asked me to buy travel insurance that covers pregnancy but I went round looking for it but can't find such insurance. Anyone can advise?

Re: pregnancy insurance

I'm working at a insurance brokerage firm so yes, there is a type of insurance covering pregnancy complications which can be transferred to the bb after he/she is born. Only complications, not the normal delivery etc.

There are a few insurers which provide travel insurance that covers accidental miscarriage. Its often buried in the schedule of benefits, so have to read abit more.

Sorry mommies, cant advise over here at a public forum cos of all the rules and regulations. Can pm me tho.

Hi mummies,
My last appointment with gynae is when i'm 10 wks without scan and after that on 12wks done my Oscar and next appointment with gynae on weeks 17 and without scan again. And my next scan schedule is on weeks 20. The normal procedure should be scan every month right? Any mummies have same experiences with me? This's my 1st one so i don't know it's normal?

@Vinka hmm by right every mth's consultation with gynae will do a scan to see bb's progress. Which gynae are you going to? But I believe you can request for that for your own peace of mind.

I guess plus the fact that our hormonal changes makes us more emotional. Look on the bright side of life and in any case, you can rant here. Hang in there. =)

Hi mummies,
My last appointment with gynae is when i'm 10 wks without scan and after that on 12wks done my Oscar and next appointment with gynae on weeks 17 and without scan again. And my next scan schedule is on weeks 20. The normal procedure should be scan every month right? Any mummies have same experiences with me? This's my 1st one so i don't know it's normal?
Usually gynae scan everytime I visit. So what did your gynae do when you visit when week 17 ? I guess you can request for it, just got to pay for it. Btw did you sign up for any package ??

Do

I'm working at a insurance brokerage firm so yes, there is a type of insurance covering pregnancy complications which can be transferred to the bb after he/she is born. Only complications, not the normal delivery etc.

There are a few insurers which provide travel insurance that covers accidental miscarriage. Its often buried in the schedule of benefits, so have to read abit more.

Sorry mommies, cant advise over here at a public forum cos of all the rules and regulations. Can pm me tho.

Hi cynn, do you know of any policy which is not transferred? Cos I don't need any investment plan but am interested in pregnancy complications coverage as I have heard horror stories about bills going sky high when (touchwood) bb or mum has to be warded. Planning to give birth at private hospital.

Hi mummies,
Same here vinka. I just went for my 16 weeks appt and found out that there no scan only listen to heart beat. Now I am thinking of changing to private doc.

Do

Hi cynn, do you know of any policy which is not transferred? Cos I don't need any investment plan but am interested in pregnancy complications coverage as I have heard horror stories about bills going sky high when (touchwood) bb or mum has to be warded. Planning to give birth at private hospital.

Yes I am also keen with policy not link with any investment plan.

So far I know that my hospitalization plan covers pregnancy complications in 2nd, 3rd trimesters like e-csect, pre-eclampsia, etc. Not too sure if it also includes the baby's hospitalization expenses.

@Vinka hmm by right every mth's consultation with gynae will do a scan to see bb's progress. Which gynae are you going to? But I believe you can request for that for your own peace of mind.

My gynae at KK, yesterday i even call to confirm that there's no scan on my 17wks visit and the nurse said Dr didn't order for that.

@cynn04, May I know which insurance company that you are working for? I am trying to compare the difference for insurance that covers pregnancy complications and the baby. So far as I know, there are only AIA, AXA and Prudential have this kind of insurance.

My gynae at KK, yesterday i even call to confirm that there's no scan on my 17wks visit and the nurse said Dr didn't order for that.
@Vinka, I heard that the scan would not be on every visit in KK, but you can request it if you want. But if you go to private, you will have scan on every visit.

Vinka, your experience sounds very much like the old school gynae I had for my #1. he's an old man, operating a clinic in a matured neighbourhood estate. very interesting character who also did not do ultrasound scan at every visit, only listen to heartbeat to make sure baby's okay. I'm sure you can request for it at your next visit.

this type of insurance can only buy before conception right? can we buy now that we are in 2nd trimester?

bbtessa, it happened to me for #2. I don't think it is a common occurrence. majority of mummies manage to carry their babies till full-term, so there is a very small chance of pre-term labour. I can only advise you that in the event (touchwood!!) your waterbag breaks or you have contractions before 37 weeks, don't bother going to your private gynae. go straight to KKH or NUH A&E first, where you are entitled to heavily-subsidized class-C ward but the level of care given to you and your baby will be equal to those under class-A. KKH and NUH are better equipped in handling preterm babies and any complications that may arise, compared to the private hospitals. so you end up paying way lesser (think 90%??) and your child will still be under the best care possible from the neonatal unit. also, after discharge back home, your baby will have to return to the hospital for review once every few weeks. again, that will be heavily subsidized at KKH or NUH.

Those which covers complications and bb without linking to investment, must get before even getting pregnant.

I think one day in nicu can cost $600-$800 per day? Being in this line, i've seen quite a few horror stories. Not such a good thing to know so much i tell ya :p

@mylilsheep im at a broker firm, so hv access to most insurers. Basically all 3 you mentioned are similar in benefits

Agree that kkh has the best neonatal equipment. Private hospitals refers serious cases to kkh when there's complications.

But if you are transferred from a private hospital, kkh charges u as a private patient. So like what starrymommy suggests, better do walk in yourself.

this type of insurance can only buy before conception right? can we buy now that we are in 2nd trimester?

bbtessa, it happened to me for #2. I don't think it is a common occurrence. majority of mummies manage to carry their babies till full-term, so there is a very small chance of pre-term labour. I can only advise you that in the event (touchwood!!) your waterbag breaks or you have contractions before 37 weeks, don't bother going to your private gynae. go straight to KKH or NUH A&E first, where you are entitled to heavily-subsidized class-C ward but the level of care given to you and your baby will be equal to those under class-A. KKH and NUH are better equipped in handling preterm babies and any complications that may arise, compared to the private hospitals. so you end up paying way lesser (think 90%??) and your child will still be under the best care possible from the neonatal unit. also, after discharge back home, your baby will have to return to the hospital for review once every few weeks. again, that will be heavily subsidized at KKH or NUH.

@starrymommy, there are two type of insurance that you can buy before conception and after conception. The maternity coverage insurance, you should get before conception. But there are another pregnancy insurance that can cover your pregnancy complications plus your baby but must sign between week 18-32. So if you have that complications before week 18, there might be some exclusion / even be rejected to buy this insurance.

Btw, want to ask you something. Just in case if I have preterm labour (*touchwood*), do I need to go to polyclinic for the referral letter to go to KKH/NUH for subsidized rate?

Those which covers complications and bb without linking to investment, must get before even getting pregnant.

I think one day in nicu can cost $600-$800 per day? Being in this line, i've seen quite a few horror stories. Not such a good thing to know so much i tell ya :p

@mylilsheep im at a broker firm, so hv access to most insurers. Basically all 3 you mentioned are similar in benefits

@cynn04, I saw notification at my gynae that the NICU can cost $1500 perday in private hospital. That's why I am quite worry if something happen, then the bill would kill me. I am not sure what is the cost in gov hospital.

Usually gynae scan everytime I visit. So what did your gynae do when you visit when week 17 ? I guess you can request for it, just got to pay for it. Btw did you sign up for any package ??
Sin nee,
Gynae will review on my Oscar scan on this week 17. Yeah i would like to request for the scan. I did't sign any package.

cynn04, the charges including PD fees (excluding complications like hernia surgeries etc) will be $1k per day. some more need to add GST to the total tally.. so imagine how much money it all adds up to if baby stays there for a month or more.

mylilsheep, no need. just walk in to A&E straightaway. we took a cab while contracting and leaking water, still made it in good time. imagine need to go polyclinic take referral letter, I'd have delivered on the highway liao. lol!!

gov hosp's NICU fees are a lot cheaper! think $200+ or $300+ per day for class C patients, if I remember correctly. daily maximum medisave deduction is $450 so end you won't have to fork out very much cash. compared to private, daily $1k++, you still need to top up at least $600 cash per day.

yes! pray daily for healthy babies come May 2015. :) my gynae told me he won't say everything is fine until he sees baby for himself, as anything can happen while still inside tummy.

@starrymommy heehee delivered on the highway… gosh e fees r so expensive! But to be honest, e preg insurance only just covers a small portion of e hospitalisation.

And its true about e many exclusions part and insurer bring strict. When i got mine for #1, they initially didnt want to cover me cos my gal has not turned head down in 20+ wks.

Hi cynn04, but I read the max coverage is only at $5,000 for pregnancy complications and $5,000 for baby's illness. So if we are with private hospitals - the coverage is not much, am I correct to say this?

Sorry I come here Kpo. As I'm with Prudential, so I thought of giving my opinions of the pregnancy insurance. It's true the coverage is not much for hospitalisation and complications, I think it's more of covering ur bb from birth. Making sure that ur bb is covered even if got any congenital abnormalities (touch wood).

Starrymommy, really thankful that u r so open to share your #2 delivery experience with us here. Really a gd information for us.
Pray all of us have a safe & smooth delivery.

50_BBN, glad to share. :) it's sad enough if baby has to be in NICU for a long period of time. really no need to add on to the sorrows of that with a huge debt to pay off after baby comes home.

Hi mommies,
Can I ask, have any of you travelled when u are 6 weeks pregnant?
Were there any concerns?
How did u cope w the morning sickness

Hi starrymommy, i jus want to check again regarding preterm labor : we can skip private n jus walk into kkh A&E to enjoy subsidised rate in ward c without getting referral letter? Abit unbelievable leh.. as i dun think our govt can be so kind..

Back