Procedure for Fertility Checks

@franch and @chloe_ng , who are your doctors in KKH and NUH respectively?
I am considering if I should seek 2nd opinion in NUH. Haha... Keeping my options open.

ttc.png
Pc Wong. Who is ur dr now?

Oh you went directly to the head of the department. I saw Dr. Tan Heng Hao @ KKH.
How did you end up being in the care of Prof PC Wong? How is he like?

ttc.png
I just randomly searched by reading forums. I wanted a public hosp to reduce cost but i chose nuh over kkh due to distance from my home.

He is no nonsense type, factual but candid. If u like those dr who are chatty u won't like him. He won't give u more info than necessary but of cuz qns he's ok to ans. Very candid abt our chances, he told me on my own i have 5-7% chance of conceive, iui is 7-9%, ivf 30%. So he doesn't sugar coat or mince words.

@chloe_ng , I just think maybe I should seek 2nd opinion since KKH does not offer natural IUI. Natural IUI feels "less invasive" since it does not use drugs to mature more follicles, which is SO-IUI, right? So I thought maybe I should see a doctor @ NUH and ask if I should try natural IUI before SO-IUI. Actually what do you girls think? (@franch let me know your opinion too.)

@franch ! Haha... and we both got the same diagnosis from the same doctor! How do you find Dr. Tan HH?

ttc.png

@chloe_ng , I just think maybe I should seek 2nd opinion since KKH does not offer natural IUI. Natural IUI feels "less invasive" since it does not use drugs to mature more follicles, which is SO-IUI, right? So I thought maybe I should see a doctor @ NUH and ask if I should try natural IUI before SO-IUI. Actually what do you girls think? (@franch let me know your opinion too.)

@franch ! Haha... and we both got the same diagnosis from the same doctor! How do you find Dr. Tan HH?

ttc.png
on paper i'm under him but cos i went thru subsidised track, i see the docs under him. from the waiting room, i observed that he's always in n out of his office, probably too many cases n situations needing his attention n the queue number for his room rarely moves much cos he's always called away. I only met him once n that was at my review when the doc suggested that i go for so-iui after they found all the results normal n the doc then knocked the connecting door to seek his approval to proceed n he agreed with the decision. so i have not much opinion of him.

i also did think abt trying natural iui since there aren't any issues with us but then decided if i have to go thru it, might as well go all the way. i don't think there's any right or wrong in this case, so just do what u feel more comfortable with.

@franch , Oh I see! I am a private patient and so far, seen him twice. He is friendly and approachable. But due to some little complications here and there, I concluded that he might not be that thorough. That is why I am considering to seek 2nd opinion.

Yes I know what you mean about going all the way. Another consideration for me is the cost. SO-IUI is more expensive ($1.9-2.5k) since it is more complicated, which is why I see natural IUI (<$1k) as a first step before SO-IUI. I am reluctant to use my medisave claim for SO-IUI in case I need to move onto IVF where medisave claim will come in more handy. Hmmm... Choices choices...

Did you use your medisave claim for your SO-IUI?
I have been trying to find material on natural IUI versus SO-IUI online but it is mostly on SO-IUI. Without much information, I also don't know what to do.

ttc.png

@franch , Oh I see! I am a private patient and so far, seen him twice. He is friendly and approachable. But due to some little complications here and there, I concluded that he might not be that thorough. That is why I am considering to seek 2nd opinion.

Yes I know what you mean about going all the way. Another consideration for me is the cost. SO-IUI is more expensive ($1.9-2.5k) since it is more complicated, which is why I see natural IUI (<$1k) as a first step before SO-IUI. I am reluctant to use my medisave claim for SO-IUI in case I need to move onto IVF where medisave claim will come in more handy. Hmmm... Choices choices...

Did you use your medisave claim for your SO-IUI?
I have been trying to find material on natural IUI versus SO-IUI online but it is mostly on SO-IUI. Without much information, I also don't know what to do.

ttc.png
We decided to think positive n use medisave for this 1st round of so-iui cos we went with the hope that this 1st so-iui will work. It really saves time during visits, e.g. after we collect the meds from pharmacy or see the doc, we can leave straightaway n not need to take a queue number again to pay cos every visit can take really long. But the intention is that if we need to do subsequent so-iui, we will then use cash. my husband is a PR so I'm not entitled to the same govt funding as full singaporean couples anyway if we have to move onto IVF. We'll have to pay a substantial amt, medisave can't really help much. anw i think the funding policy is flawed. our child will still be a citizen of this country n if i have sons, they have to serve NS.

ttc.png
In that case i think if u go nuh they will definitely ask u to do natural iui cuz that's their protocol. No ovulation issues =natural. I ask my prof and another stand in dr they advise same thing. Even if i do iui multiple times, it will be natural every time. Got good got bad depends what u are comfy with as franch says.

Hi ladies... Seeing many familiar nicknames from 2ww thread.
I have done pap smear, ultrasound, CD 2 blood tests (to test for FSH and LH), so far everything is okie. Still pending HSG.
I do ovulate but it is usually late ovulation... Anyone has any recommendations on what type of treatment is suitable?
Have yet to speak in depth with gynae on this since I have not done HSG.. probably waiting for my current or next cycle to end before I can do. But just want to know if there are any options that I can consider.

@franch , yes agree that our country has many flawed policies. Haha... Since your HB is PR, I think your children still has a choice of their citizenship when they are 18, right? For boys, their parents should declare them by 11 years old, if they want to choose their father's home country's citizenship to avoid NS when they are 18. You should check this out after you get pregnant.

Its almost a week after your IUI procedure. How time flies! How are you & @chloe_ng feeling so far?

ttc.png

@chloe_ng , actually I am not very sure if I am ovulating by myself or not. My case is a little complicated. To summarise, I realised only the highly sensitive OPKs work for me just 3 months ago, which is much after I have seen the KKH doctor who has prescribed me clomid 50mg for 5 cycles because I told him I wasn't too sure if I am ovulating. I started using the highly sensitive OPKs at the same time I started taking clomid and charting BBT, and so far I have been ovulating. So to date, I have yet to find out if I am able to ovulate by myself or not. Haha... It is complicated, which is why I am not sure if I should just go ahead with KKH or go to NUH for 2nd opinion.

If I go to NUH, the gynae might probably ask me to monitor my ovulation without clomid first, since you said natural IUI is their protocol. That means another 1-2 cycles of unknown and sort of time wasted. Phew~ I think I need to slow down. I am giving myself unnecessary pressure again. Haha...

ttc.png

Hi ladies... Seeing many familiar nicknames from 2ww thread.
I have done pap smear, ultrasound, CD 2 blood tests (to test for FSH and LH), so far everything is okie. Still pending HSG.
I do ovulate but it is usually late ovulation... Anyone has any recommendations on what type of treatment is suitable?
Have yet to speak in depth with gynae on this since I have not done HSG.. probably waiting for my current or next cycle to end before I can do. But just want to know if there are any options that I can consider.

For treatment, are you referring to treatment to bring ovulation forward? Or are you asking about fertility treatment?

ttc.png

For treatment, are you referring to treatment to bring ovulation forward? Or are you asking about fertility treatment?

ttc.png

Hi, I guess is either... Either to bring forward ovulation or if I am suitable to go on any kind of treatment.
I know some people will use clomid but since I am ovulating, just that it is late, I wonder if I should go on that.
Just thinking about options and to get myself prepared abit.. Think I will have to speak with gynae again after I done my HSG.

Hi, I guess is either... Either to bring forward ovulation or if I am suitable to go on any kind of treatment.
I know some people will use clomid but since I am ovulating, just that it is late, I wonder if I should go on that.
Just thinking about options and to get myself prepared abit.. Think I will have to speak with gynae again after I done my HSG.
Did ur hb do SA? Actually fertility treatment very standard one only got iui or ivf. If u pass all ur tests and hubby sperms good, they will probably next step ask u to do iui. But hsg also must pass first.

@franch , yes agree that our country has many flawed policies. Haha... Since your HB is PR, I think your children still has a choice of their citizenship when they are 18, right? For boys, their parents should declare them by 11 years old, if they want to choose their father's home country's citizenship to avoid NS when they are 18. You should check this out after you get pregnant.

Its almost a week after your IUI procedure. How time flies! How are you & @chloe_ng feeling so far?

ttc.png
Haha 2ww is crawling for me never flying. I'm ok, zero symptoms so far, trying not to think so much.

@chloe_ng , actually I am not very sure if I am ovulating by myself or not. My case is a little complicated. To summarise, I realised only the highly sensitive OPKs work for me just 3 months ago, which is much after I have seen the KKH doctor who has prescribed me clomid 50mg for 5 cycles because I told him I wasn't too sure if I am ovulating. I started using the highly sensitive OPKs at the same time I started taking clomid and charting BBT, and so far I have been ovulating. So to date, I have yet to find out if I am able to ovulate by myself or not. Haha... It is complicated, which is why I am not sure if I should just go ahead with KKH or go to NUH for 2nd opinion.

If I go to NUH, the gynae might probably ask me to monitor my ovulation without clomid first, since you said natural IUI is their protocol. That means another 1-2 cycles of unknown and sort of time wasted. Phew~ I think I need to slow down. I am giving myself unnecessary pressure again. Haha...

ttc.png
Actually did u do cd21 blood test? The cd21 one measures progesterone and that is how the drs determine if u do ovulate. If kkh u nv do, at nuh the prof will prescribe it.

Did ur hb do SA? Actually fertility treatment very standard one only got iui or ivf. If u pass all ur tests and hubby sperms good, they will probably next step ask u to do iui. But hsg also must pass first.

Yah, my husband did his SA. I don't know the absolute numbers but gynae called me and said everything is fine with his SA.
So now just pending my HSG.
I wonder if for late ovulation, can I still do IUI?

@chloe_ng , yeah I know what you mean. Just wish time will pass faster right? But if you are working it should be easier.
For me this 2ww passed by super quickly but sadly this cycle won't work for us. How ironic! Haha...

CD21 blood test? No, I've never done it before. Hmmm... Sounds like I should go NUH for 2nd opinion after all. Can I request for the test?

ttc.png

Yah, my husband did his SA. I don't know the absolute numbers but gynae called me and said everything is fine with his SA.
So now just pending my HSG.
I wonder if for late ovulation, can I still do IUI?

I think you should quickly get the HSG test done.
Not sure about IUI for late ovulation. But theoretically it should be fine since the patient is required to go in for scan to check follicles size. Other ladies please correct me if I am wrong.

ttc.png

I think you should quickly get the HSG test done.
Not sure about IUI for late ovulation. But theoretically it should be fine since the patient is required to go in for scan to check follicles size. Other ladies please correct me if I am wrong.

ttc.png

My cycle has not ended thus I cant do HSG. It has to be done shortly after AF ends.

@chloe_ng , yeah I know what you mean. Just wish time will pass faster right? But if you are working it should be easier.
For me this 2ww passed by super quickly but sadly this cycle won't work for us. How ironic! Haha...

CD21 blood test? No, I've never done it before. Hmmm... Sounds like I should go NUH for 2nd opinion after all. Can I request for the test?

ttc.png
Dr THH did not order a CD21 blood test for u? Thot it would be standard protocol. On my very 1st visit, the doc at KKH ordered 4 different blood tests (1 on CD2 & 3 on CD21) and HSG (on CD11) immediately. So I had to go back on various days in my cycle for them. No wonder u say that he might not be thorough enough. I guess u shd opt for a 2nd opinion.

ttc.png
I think the child only gets to choose at 18 yrs old if both parents are PR n they are born here. In our case, our children will automatically be a singapore citizen at birth because I am a singaporean, unless my hb is a big-shot diplomat (which he is not! haha). So they won't get to choose citizenship at all. My hb's country (msia) won't even know my children's existence! hahaha

it's been 7dpiui. So far no major symptoms i think. The only few symptoms I've experienced so far (eg very sore boobs, slight cramping on n off, high BBT) I attribute them to the progesterone pills I've been taking n also i normally do get them after o. We'll see nearer the date of my AF.

Last edited:
Dr THH did not order a CD21 blood test for u? Thot it would be standard protocol. On my very 1st visit, the doc at KKH ordered 4 different blood tests (1 on CD2 & 3 on CD21) and HSG (on CD11) immediately. So I had to go back on various days in my cycle for them. No wonder u say that he might not be thorough enough. I guess u shd opt for a 2nd opinion.
Agree that is very odd he didn't order it for u. It's very standard test.

@franch & @chloe_ng , oh my! I just knew something is amiss. When I showed my TCM physician all my test reports, she told me the tests are not complete. Now I know she is right! Hmmm... I guess tomorrow I should make an appointment with NUH. Thanks ladies for this piece of information. :)

ttc.png

Yes iui doesn't matter for late or early o

Thanks. :)
Saw that your suggest cd 21 blood test to Bepositive and you mentioned that this is the test which test for progesterone and whether one ovulates? So BBT may not be enough to confirm ovulation?
In my case, since I ovulate late, e.g. after CD 21, how do I know when to go for the test? Would you happen to know if there is a standard name for the test?

My gynae only sends me for ultrasound. CD2 blood test, HSG and SA for hubby. No mention of tests for progesterone yet.

Thanks. :)
Saw that your suggest cd 21 blood test to Bepositive and you mentioned that this is the test which test for progesterone and whether one ovulates? So BBT may not be enough to confirm ovulation?
In my case, since I ovulate late, e.g. after CD 21, how do I know when to go for the test? Would you happen to know if there is a standard name for the test?

My gynae only sends me for ultrasound. CD2 blood test, HSG and SA for hubby. No mention of tests for progesterone yet.
U can ask ur dr. If u do o late they probably count backwards from ur af date and use a later cd. The idea is about 7 dpo your progesterone levels shud be high to indicate o

Hi all babes

I'm one of the patient with KKH under dr thh. Just went through the blood test and consultation last month. Currently waiting to do the HSG test. I'm quite disappointed with them as today is my 4th day of period. I called them on the 1st day to make appointment but they told me don have slots. Ask me to wait for their call. But they never call me until today. I call back and continue to ask me to wait. I understand that HSG must do within 12 days of period. I take hormone pill intentionally for this test and they can make an appointment with me. I emotionally feel depressed as if I miss this, then I have to wait for another one to two months again. And I need to take pill again.

*they CAN'T make appointment with me*
Not sure if this would work, other ladies please correct me if I'm wrong.

You can try asking for a referral letter fr KKH, so that you can try contacting all other hospitals to check with them? Or ask the nurses at KKH to help?

You're probably extremely frustrated now :(

Not sure if this would work, other ladies please correct me if I'm wrong.

You can try asking for a referral letter fr KKH, so that you can try contacting all other hospitals to check with them? Or ask the nurses at KKH to help?

You're probably extremely frustrated now :(

:( yes. I'm extremely frus. They keep asking me to wait for their call. But nobody call me. And when I called, the lady over the phone said she is not the in charge and she will ask her colleague who is the in charge to call me back. But never! I told them just to give me an answer can, or cannot. If cannot, just give me advice how to resolve it, like what u said, get referral letter and do the test from other hospital or whatever. But they never call me. :(

:( yes. I'm extremely frus. They keep asking me to wait for their call. But nobody call me. And when I called, the lady over the phone said she is not the in charge and she will ask her colleague who is the in charge to call me back. But never! I told them just to give me an answer can, or cannot. If cannot, just give me advice how to resolve it, like what u said, get referral letter and do the test from other hospital or whatever. But they never call me. :(
I hate to suggest this but best way is to write a feedback in and explain your situation. They respond within 1 day or 2 and they then act very fast. I dunno why it takes feedback to make some hospital departments work. *shakes head*

I hate to suggest this but best way is to write a feedback in and explain your situation. They respond within 1 day or 2 and they then act very fast. I dunno why it takes feedback to make some hospital departments work. *shakes head*

Just wrote the feedback via their web. Someone has replied me via email and she said will get back to me promptly on Monday. Thanks for the suggestion to write feedback. I hope this works. :)

Hi Chloe can i check what is the ultrasound scan procedure like?

I'm a private patient with nuh. I did about 3 consultation so far and today just went for my iui. I did hsg, 2 blood test, some scanning. My hb did two SA. My ovulation is ok but I have a suspected blocked right tube. My hb is showing poor sperm results and has been on supplements for a mth so far.
E

Back