(2015/07) Jul 2015 mummies

Yallo my mil was like thst too n she didnt know how to carry n bathe my boy. I basically did everything, bathing my boy, washing n sterilising bottles. She just stood @ the side, observe how i did everything n gave a lot of comments

Jj,
I put abt 1.5 teaspoon of honey into one cup of warm water then just add one thin slice of lemon. It is sweet and lemony. Don't add too much lemon, just a little bit.

Daffy depends where you stay and whether you want male/female gynae, which hospital etc?:)

Jj_jj haha I also find honey lemon bitter now! Maybe our taste buds change?

leighstar, oh dear that must have been very hard on you. But I guess it's difficult to expect our parents or in-laws to take over and be very zhai, esp they likely never take care of baby for 30+ years liao. So I just ignored everything my mil said lol, one ear in one ear out. Smile and nod but just continue doing things my way.

Congrats, jcyp!

Haha I tink he's just being crappy.

Today I forgot to ask Gynae which side is the sac implanted on. But I rber feeling the probe on my right side. Hopefully it'll be a boy hehe

Im not getting a CL too this time round... #1 didn't get one. did everything myself. #2 i got 1 to try out. she's an excellent cook. but as i latch bb and bb slept with us. she was quite eng the whole month. we felt like we were wasting our $$$...

so this time we won't get a CL again. likely will get TMC confinement catering food

I didn't get cl for my #1 but I was home alone with a crying baby all the time. . So stressful nearly get post natal blues I think. Told myself second time I wanna get. But now I think again also quite against it. Made my hubby take 3 weeks off so he can be my cl. My mum will cook for me and hopefully latching works this time so I don't have to worry about pumping

I'm lucky that my #1 was an easy baby. He's quite contented w milk and sleep thru out the day. So my no help confinement was a pretty pleasant one. I got familiar food which my mum cooks and i get to tell her what i feel like having the next day. Like sometimes I'm sick of rice, I'll get her to cook mee sua soup for lunch. She will help me w showering my baby and do some housework for me. So i mainly concentrate on the latching, pumping and taking care of bb. I need to wash bottles and pumps myself too but those are manageable to me. My mum does stay w me, she visit a few hours a day to cook for me so most part of the day I'm by myself. Its really manageable. For those who is considering a diy confinement, its not as tough as you think. I'm gonna diy again this time round, 2nd time already even more no excuse to say can't handle right.. hehe

I was lucky that both my mom and mil help out with my #1. My mil does day shift, while my mother does the night shift. i basically need to take care of latching and pumping for #1. And i do the bathing for #1 myself. My mom and mil just help in my food, coz i really dunno how to cook that time. haha! Moreover, my #1 was relatively an easy baby, never cry kind. I have to purposely make him hungry in order to hear him cry (bad mummy!).

This time, i only want my mom to help me out. Bcoz my mil very meticulous person, complain at everything that i do. She was an ex-nurse btw. She always say i never "clean" baby properly.... she gives me a lot of stress instead of lessening my burden.... so i'd rather hear only +ve things.... She can come visit i don't mind... but no need to take care of me.... hee hee

my friend's mum suppose to do confinement for her and gave up on the first night....she post natal after that. Plus her baby keep crying and all these upset the relationship with the hubby.
Took her 3-4 years before she ready for #2.

If got supportive parents & in laws, i think get them to help always better than having a stranger to help. My parents old liao plus mine #1 was a first baby in the family, so i rather they come and play than to take care of me.

My in laws....arrgggh.....different culture, different mentality lah...i don't want end up jumping out of the windows with baby. When i told them baby will go IFC after he turn 3 months, their face super black. But now, they already accepted coz they see him grow very well and independent.

Yeah...today's gynae appointment. hopefully can see heartbeat lliao *cross finger*

Yallo, it was tough. My boy is not an easy bb. He cried n screamed the whole night every day. My mil slept like a log even though the doors to both rooms were opened. She refused to cook tonics n soup that helped in boosting milk supply suggested by my tcm sinseh n said these cannot be taken in confinement. When my boy cried 10min b4 milk time, she would insist feeding him water n said bbs in the past were fed water. I was so stupid to listen to her. Then his stomach bloated, cant drink milk.

She claimed that she did confinement for her neighbours b4 n learnt how to bathe bb @ kkh so my hb said let her do since she is experienced. Im determined not to let her ruin this time round.

My mum did my confinement when i had mid term miscarriage. She is wonderful but she doesnt want to help this time round. She said it would put my hb at a spot w his mum n our relationship would b affected.

Sorry for this long rant! But i get emo when i think of doing confinement. I dread it!

Good luck for your appt! Mine is next week too and i hope can see heartbeat if possible. Abit worried when i don't see the heartbeat. I went back to see my #1 ultrascan, it was 6 weeks 3 days and heartbeat was visible.

Yar, I also think it's quite manageable without a cl help. For me, I don't have parents or ils to help with #1 , hubby took leave for 2 wks to help me. I also have a regular part time cleaner who comes once a wk to clean the house. I just had to focus on latching bb and changing bb. Every meal will be delivered to my doorstep by the cf catering which tasted quite good. Hubby just kind of helps me handle bb sometimes so I can catch a nap. I didn't find much other things to do, no major sterilization or bottles since I was mostly latching. Night time mostly I latch, some nights I pump and hubby help to bottle feed. Clothes, I just dump into washer and dryer, bb also I will shower on my own. Think I felt quite carefree, no one to nag at me thru the first mth, I actually bring bb grocery shopping with me quite early too. By second mth, whilst others are adjusting to cope without their cf lady, I already more or less know my bb's patterns. So I do like it hands on. But I guess everyone has different styles, I'm quite calm when bb cries. If the mother is panicky and can't put up with bb crying, then perhaps a good cf lady around can help ease the stressz.

Csy and sasaxie,
All the best for today's appmt!! Exciting!

My 2nd appt was last night, bb is @ 7w2d, can see n hear heartbeat. But the image was not clear when scanned on tummy because i din lose the wt gained w the previous pregnancy. So gynae did another scan from below. Nxt appt is 2 weeks later

saraiii & Ash_mum, you all are very good! Can cope so easily without CL! I'm quite tempted to try, esp since I'll most likely just latch all the way again, so no need to wash and sterilize bottles, but I know my hubby will not be supportive. He's the type that believes in spending money to solve the problem and I know he will not be willing to wake up at night to help out at all. I can just foresee he scolding me when things get stressful, say why I geh kiang don't get CL ha sigh.

leighstar, omg that drinking water thing sounds so familiar!!!! My mil also kept telling me to feed bb water when she cries on the middle of the night to train her to sleep through. She claimed she did that for my hubby and he slept through from 2mo onwards! Aiyoh i was thinking my hubby so poor thing. I just totally ignored her grrrr.

Saraiii which caterer you used? I heard sometimes they cook very early and deliver early too, like 5pm or even before that

Hi, anyone has contacts for confinement food catering? My mom helped me with confinement for the first two, but she is getting old. I wanted a CL but just don't like the idea of losing my privacy. Toying with the option to do without one.

Can I ask the experienced bfg mummies? Be coz I exclusive pumped for #1 not sure how is the best. Say after u deliver and take baby home. .The first few days do u just latch or pump after latch? My experience with #1 was be coz he was jaundiced.. he was sleepy all the time. So after I latched him awhile he fell asleep and no matter how I try to wake him to drink..he continue sleeping, so then I pumped. Then be coz he wasn't full coz never drink enough. .The started crying not long after... Then I no more milk coz just pumped out. What is the best Way? Just keep latching and don't pump until baby established a good feeding schedule?

@shan8080 the first few days I do latching so the supply can come in, after that when the supply stable I will pump and feed from bottle. I tried the latching but always fall asleep. After that I just feed from bottle every feed. But I pump every 3 hours even throughout the night.

shan8080, i latch n top up w fm for the 1st week. I tried pumping but it din work out as i had to attend to bb at the same time. When the supply built up, i stopped topping up w fm n did total latching.

I can't really remember but I think I latch and maybe tried to pump a bit also? But mostly just latch. It was very tiring at first coz my girl could latch like 45min for each side, and then barely one hour later start crying again. Then because I didn't know need to moisturize, my nipples started bleeding zzz.... But I think that was for first two three weeks. After that everything got much better, so must really hang in there!!!

I can't really remember but I think I latch and maybe tried to pump a bit also? But mostly just latch. It was very tiring at first coz my girl could latch like 45min for each side, and then barely one hour later start crying again. Then because I didn't know need to moisturize, my nipples started bleeding zzz.... But I think that was for first two three weeks. After that everything got much better, so must really hang in there!!!
Ya..Mine was latch then he stop drinking after a while.. put him down he cry..Then latch again... Then stop drinking.. aiyo whole cycle like this for one month. Then end up he got green poo pd said didn't get the hindmilk at all... so I no choice had to pump for him. Really hope I can latch with #2... I like it

@shan8080 the first few days I do latching so the supply can come in, after that when the supply stable I will pump and feed from bottle. I tried the latching but always fall asleep. After that I just feed from bottle every feed. But I pump every 3 hours even throughout the night.
Ya me too... In the beginning I pumped every 2 hours... midnight also up... so tiring.. that's why hope this time can do with just latching first

i was trying to create a table .. to put up who's who and EDD date etc.. i failed leh... anyone got any idea how to do it...

Saraiii which caterer you used? I heard sometimes they cook very early and deliver early too, like 5pm or even before that

Yallo, that time I used natal essentials, I paid abt 1kplus if I recall right. They were quite good, food was warm and on time. I was always hungry so quite happy that it arrive promptly. Then two wks into confinement, I feel very heaty due to ginger and longan, requested to switch to normal food, and they actually were very kind to put extra fish for me daily and no prawns and yet still refund me for two wks switch from confinemt to normal tingkat. Very good service! But now I see got a lot of new popular catering, I'm thinking of trying from chilli padi.

I latched till my supply is in then i start pumping to stimulate the supply. I mainly latched the baby for the first few months. Its really abt hanging in there. I went thru the engorgement, bleeding nipples and bloody tomato milk that i pumped out. But tell yourself it will only get better. All the pain will go away soon and you will enjoy breastfeeding later

Honestly i find breastfeeding more painful than the labour itself. . Opps! I hope i didn't scare any new mummies here. Haha.. but its one of the most rewarding experience

I think to up supply quickly, better to latch then each time continue to pump for a short while to empty the breast completely, this way supply increase faster. But I'm lazy, I may just latch and partial supplement fm till supply matches up.

Yup to up supply, latch first then pump to empty the breasts. Continously do that and you will see supply goes up.
Most importantly trust your body to produce enough milk for the baby.

Perfect! it worked!!!!!!! Yabedabedoooooooo!

Gals, pls post your details, or let me know what else to add on so that we know who/wat/how far along we are.... i will add the info on....

Last edited:
@Ash mum i gotta agree that breastfeeding was painful. Especially the beginning part when they start to suckle... i could feel my insides screaming in pain, but after the initial flow, it was ok... it took me a few days i think before the initial pain of suckle cease. I only bf for 3 months coz i have no patience. This time round, I intend to do for 1 whole year.....

Anyone knows how to curb nausea? These few days I've been feeling so nauseous from lunch time all the way till after I sleep. It's affecting my appetite. It was never like this for my previous 2 pregnancies so I'm at a total loss...

Anyone knows how to curb nausea? These few days I've been feeling so nauseous from lunch time all the way till after I sleep. It's affecting my appetite. It was never like this for my previous 2 pregnancies so I'm at a total loss...
I know how it feels...miserable.

consider getting sea band from pharmacy? Drink ginger ale? I find that it's gassy so the burping helps. Peppermint eo?

Yes latch one side for 10-15 min then switch sides. If baby latch for too long then gotta unlatch cos he's taking you as a pacifier which is wrong.

My gynae recommends Blackmore's Travel Calm Ginger... she said can take up to 6 tablets a day (if i'm not wrong) ... For me, my nausea is considered quite bad compared to #1. But i had temporary relief when i eat plain crackers in between meals, and keep on munching... I do wear Sea Band too esp at home... and i feel nausea gets worse if i feel hungry.... see what works out for you....

For a start its common for babies to cry after 1 hr of latching. Jus be ready and latch on demand, its tiring but the routine will smooth out after a while. Once bb can latch properly can drink enough, usually can last 2 to 3 hrs for next feed.

I simply have no mood to work...
my nausea is not that bad but bad enuff to affect my daily life haha..
really no mood and energy to do anything

i'm contemplating if I should buy e sea band n try....
how do we use the peppermint EO? just inhale?

my mum will be doing my confinement for me like my #1 but I would strongly encourage to engage a CL if financially n space is not an issue
I ended up feeling more tired cos I can't bear to watch my mum doing everything herself while I rest n my #1 was quite a difficult baby..
backside got sensor, wana put her inside cot she start crying liao...
n I had abit of blues after delivery, kept crying uncontrollably n keep getting scolded by mum for crying n ended up crying even more haha

some in my #1 grp even engaged CL for 2 months cos 1st month is to rest n 2nd month to learn the ropes hehe

Back