OSCAR test - are you doing it?

mamapig

Hi ladies,

I am 8 weeks preggie now and deciding whether to take the OSCAR test.

Anyone else who is 33 years old and having the same dilemma?

I am very afraid to take the test, cos I heard that there is a lot of false positive results. I will be devastated if my OSCAR results says that I am high risk and I am quite unwillingly to do an amnio becos of the risk of miscarriage. In fact, I had a miscarriage 2.5 months ago.

what do you think?? help :S

go for it.

i did mine 2yrs ago when i was 34yrs old and expecting my girl. I wanted to do it becos one of my husband's aunty has down syndrome. The result came out fine, but would still worry now and then. Now, i have a healthy girl, who is turning two next month.

Cheers!

thanks, mummy to princess. Keeping my fingers crossed that the screening results will be low risk... otherwise i gonna break down at the docs office :S

hi

for my case, the gynae asked me to take a blood test first and see how the results. thank god the results shows my baby has very very low risk, and hence i dont need the OSCAR
hope it useful for you.

I was 31 when I was pregnant with my first baby. And I gave birth just 3 weeks ago to a healthy baby girl on 7th April 2009 at the age of 32.

Due to my age, my gynae didn't push me but advice me on the Oscar test. I decided not to go for it one week before the scheduled test.

At that moment, I was feeling very pressurized. But I just went with my gut feeling. I have faith in God.

What happens if the test is negative? What am I going to do? It is not 100% fool proof that my baby is going to have down syndrome.

Just to share my experience as a worried mother-to-be then.

it can be pressurizing when everyone is doing it ... and you start to wonder if you should follow the crowd as well.

It's a probability count, what happens when the odds are against you ... are you going to kill your own flesh and blood?

Hi,
Yes,you need to know what is your stand on testings and what you would do after you get test results. For some mummies, they know they will keep their bbs regardless of result. So they may choose not to do the test and will accept their bb whatever the outcome. For some mummies, they know they cannot accept a DS baby and feel they rather not bring bb to the world and suffer, so they want to test and make sure. So yes, it is a probability count and how much risk you want to take. For others, it gives them peace of mind if ok, or if not ok, at least they are mentally prepared already.

I am one of those high risk cateogory-older mom, carrying twins, had 2 previous ectopic preg, had a emergency c-section and 2 previous miscarriage. But I still went ahead to do it. It's your choice really.

Hi, I didn't do the oscar test but my gynae's scan machine is good enuff to show that my foetus has thick neck (one aspect of Oscar test). 4.2mm. I was very upset for very long. But chose not to go for ammnio test. Went for detailed scan and triple test instead. Prayed alot too. Am
happy.gif
to say that my boy born on 2 Oct 09 is normal and healthy.

The thick neck indicator is not very accurate and causes many mothers to be worried and fearful.

I did OSCAR - scan + blood test. high risk for downs but didn't do amnio. Prayed and talked to baby alot. baby was born normal...

think OSCAR is good to give some awareness, and if the parents are prepared to risk losing baby, then go for amnio. For us, we didn't want to risk losing baby so rejected amnio, but still did OSCAR (no regrest doing it.. and still did it for our #2) to give us a sense of whether bb is high or low risk. so we can plan our finances accordingly.

it really depends on your family health history and your age.
i was under 30 for both my pregnancy and see no need to do it at all
i just did a detailed scan and everything ok

actuaklly it all depoends on your final decision - if abnormal will u abort it?
if u are a firm believer of anti-abortion, then no use doing oscar scan

l would prefer not to do the OSCAR test, then to scare myself. A detailed scan would be sufficient.

Hi mummies,

I m so lost n helpless now. I jus wanna share my feeling n would appreciate some advises fm u.

I jus did my Oscar on Tue n my gynae called me to tell me that i m at risk n suggested a amnio test on 25th Jan. She said e passing pt should be 1 to 300 while for my case its 1 to 227. She said e scan shows very positive result n e risk is reduced to 1 to 500 but my blood test result increases e risk to 1 to 227.

If i were to take e amnio test, there is a 1% risk of miscarriage and i will have to wait for 4 more wks to take e test n e test result will only come out 2 to 3 wks later. Meaning i will have to stay this worried, lost n helpless for almost 2mths.

Should i take e amnio test? Is e result accurate? Pls help

Hi I heard Thomson medical center add in an compulsary of prediction of pre-eclampsia in the OSCAR TEST, does anyone know how much is the total OSCAR test charges now ?

Hi I heard Thomson medical center add in an compulsary of prediction of pre-eclampsia in the OSCAR TEST, does anyone know how much is the total OSCAR test charges now ?
my oscar + 20th wk scan at TMC cost me $495.50 in june 2014

my oscar + 20th wk scan at TMC cost me $495.50 in june 2014

Not forgetting another round of consultation fees, cause still need to head down to gynae clinic for further explanations on the results.
Anyway, i am skipping the OSCAR test due to the accuracy , going for genetic scan instead at Prof Ananda.

Back