MRSA Bacteria

spongebox08

Hi, anyone had come across this bacteria?

Can give some comments about your encounter?

My mil had it and she is staying with me n my 3 kids.

Worry my kids will catch it. Thou I do whatever I can to watch personal hygiene but my brother in law n my hubby took it very lightly n din really follow doctors instructions that after contact with patient had to wash their hands.

Welcome comments !!

MRSA Bacteraemia mean is in the blood stream. Mostly they will undergo a course of intravenous antibiotic. However it won't be cleared so fast, also it depend on individual as well. As for family members how shld we prevent is to keep gd hand hygiene, esp before & after touching ur mil & surrounding environment.

My sister is a nurse and I have heard of this bacteria before when she told me stories from the hospital.

From what I know, this is mainly a "hospital-based" bacteria, in the sense that it infects mainly people who are already sick or who have very low/poor immune system. It seldom can infect healthy people, because it is not a "community" bacteria, so even if you "touch" it or get into contact with it, your body will just "resist" it and you will not get infected UNLESS you are sick with something or under treatment that suppress your immune system. When someone in the hospital gets this bacteria, they will usually isolate the person so that the bacteria will not get passed on to other patients in the hospital, because in the hospital setting, all the people there are already sick with something so their bodies are already weak...

If your MIL is at home already, I think she should already be cured of the MRSA? Or well on the way to recovery. Because if she is still "contagious", I don't think the hospital will discharge her. They will not discharge a person who has high risk of passing on dangerous bacteria to other people/family members etc. So I think your family is basically "safe". Is your MIL still taking antibiotics/medication for the MRSA? If no, then all the more means she is cured already. If she is still taking medication, you can check with the doctor what "stage" her infection is in, and what kind of precautions your family need to take...

Hope this helps!
cheers~

I think if your MIL is already at home, it means that she has been cured. If it's still contagious, the doctors would have informed you.

Just to share.. My son caught it from the hospital during his phototherapy treatment at 4 days old. It's actually just my guess. I believe he was infected while the nurse was changing diapers for him because he came home with a rash near his lower abdomen. After a week, the rash spreaded and grew into bigger pustules. When he was 13 days old, the pustules which turned into blisters burst and his entire abdomen turned bloody and fiery red. He was cranky and screaming and crying non-stop. Nothing could pacify him. That was when I sensed something wrong. All along I stupidly thought it was a bad diaper rash. Sigh. So stupid of me.

We brought him to the polyclinic but he was rushed to KKH A&E. The doctor on duty could not tell what was wrong so she called for the consultant. The consultant told me he suspected that the infection had reached his blood stream and he was at risk of meningitis. He had to be warded immediately and tests had to be carried out asap. They wanted to draw his bone marrow, blood, urine, faeces and do a swap test to find out the cause. I, obviously, was reluctant. And they told me I could take him home only if I was confident he would survive. It broke my heart but I agreed to it. They immediately put him on the IV drip and gave him four types of antibiotics. I had to sign an indemnity form to acknowledge that these treatments might cause him pain and do his kidneys harm. It was nervewrecking because nobody had a clue what was going on with my baby boy. Seven days passed. The report came out. It was confirmed to be MRSA infection. The antibiotics that was administered previously did not work on the MRSA bacteria. So my boy was given another round of antibiotics treatment. Finally he was discharged just before his full month party. Thank goodness he was fine after this entire nightmarish episode. I will never take a rash lightly ever again.

Back