NOW YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE Not To Screen

Just to share..

Public Education

Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign | October 2014

Breast cancer is the number one cancer among Singaporean women. Each year, over 1,600 women are diagnosed with breast cancer and almost 400 die from the disease.* The chances of surviving breast cancer increases with early detection. So stop making excuses - book your mammogram this October. Together we are stronger.

Get a subsidy of $25 for your mammogram screening. Collect your pink coupon at Singapore Cancer Society (SCS) or at participating Guardian and Metro stores and make an appointment from 1 to 31 October 2014.

For more information, pls view the website of http://www.singaporecancersociety.org.sg/WhatWeDo/BreastCancerAwarenessCampaign.aspx

Hi miracle bebe, you tried before screening at polyclinics? how is the service?
Any good centres that you recommend which probably they are more "gentle"?
charges differs from each centres?

Hi mousemoomoo,
Yes, infact I have..at Queenstown Polyclinic two years ago. Can't recall why I didn't make it to the Mammogram last year, since I did take a Pink Coupon from the Guardian Pharmacy and have been enjoying the subsidy offered and initiated by the Singapore Cancer Society.

At Queenstown polyclinic, the Technician who attended to me was smooth and gentle as she was careful and friendly. I think her name is Victoria and perhaps is the Principal Technician.

I was sharing my fears and she assured me so long my breast behaved as I listened attentively to her instructions, example when to breath and when to hold the breath, everything would come out smoothly. She said my breast was smooth and flabby, so less pain. The worst are those hard stubborn ones. Oh dear...I nearly wanted to laugh but couldn't as I also needed to relax.

As for charges, yes they do differ esp those private clinics and hospitals and some government hospitals too. Example at SGH.

Previously, I had done the Mammogram up at a Healthcare organisation in HPB Bldg..i think 5 th floor and may not be there anymore. Anyway, the technicians there were also very skilled and gentle. Hope this info helps:)

I also have the intention to do it at polyclinics (but not west area as too far for me) as i suppose it will be much cheaper, just worried abt how the nurse handling over there..
So to enjoy the subsidy and get the guardian vouchers, we have to make the appts by thsi month and complete the mammogram by Dec 2014?
May i ask what is the duration of the whole process during the screening?
Do we need to consult the doc when results is ready for collection?

miracle_bebe,

thanks so much for sharing. i went to collect the voucher from guardian n called the poly clinic haha the lady told me this is only for 40 years old or above . no subsidy for below 40 years old.

anyway , thanks much for your sharing. i will go in few years times :)

miracle_bebe,

thanks so much for sharing. i went to collect the voucher from guardian n called the poly clinic haha the lady told me this is only for 40 years old or above . no subsidy for below 40 years old.

anyway , thanks much for your sharing. i will go in few years times :)

Hi lovebabysg

You are most welcome!:)

I had the assumption that the Guardian staff or pharmacist would ask and ensure that a woman qualifies before they hand out that pink coupon/voucher, since the age is one of the criterias to do a Mammogram, even on non-subsidy days.

Anyway, it is good to know that there is such a subsidy available once a year, in October. I myself came to know about this when it was first initiated.

I think it is also good to inform our family and friends about this "offer".

Hi miracle bebe

yes. it's good offer n v good sharing!

will share this with my family n friends :) yes it's good

thanks for letting us know about this :)

I also have the intention to do it at polyclinics (but not west area as too far for me) as i suppose it will be much cheaper, just worried abt how the nurse handling over there..
So to enjoy the subsidy and get the guardian vouchers, we have to make the appts by thsi month and complete the mammogram by Dec 2014?
May i ask what is the duration of the whole process during the screening?
Do we need to consult the doc when results is ready for collection?

Hellow mousemoomoo

Yup, getting this Mammogram done Polyclinics are the cheapest way, ie as far as I know:) Accordingly (referring to terms and conditions), appointments are to be booked btwn 1st to 31st Oct for screening to complete by 31st December 2014.

Now I think I know why I didn't make it last year.... I think I forgot all about it, haha!

The process? I really cannot recall.. perhaps between 10-15mins?
Before you leave the clinic, I think the Radiographer (aah, that's the correct term as I just found out) will tell you to wait. She or her colleague will run through the X-ray, ensuring that all areas are covered and no discrepancies. Otherwise, you may be required to repeat the process again.

It was the same when I used to get the screening done at Parkway Health. They used to have a Radiology clinic up on the 5th flr (I think) in HPB Bldg.

If I am not wrong, the results were sent to my home. They would only call you if there is some concerns.

Hi lovebabysg

My family - my mum actually, is a breast cancer survivor. The breast that was removed was not malignant, just that the lump found was too close to her nipple. As such, she was advd to remove the entire breast. Though not serious, she still had to go through the usual procedure, that is sending the lymph nodes (if i recall correctly) for testing, so to assure that the cancer cells all taken out. She went on to be treated an a post-cancer patient where she paid visit to SGH so frequently, she would come home to tell us stories of other breast cancer-stricken patients. Today, she has been given a clean bill of health from her doctor for the past few years liao.

So we sisters (3 of us) are high-risk. Having said that, we are not consistent with our regular check-ups. For me, it's a psychological pain even for down there and although I am reminded I must also go for a pap smear test every year, I have not gone for one for couple of years. Am trying to gather the courage.

So I share what I can, eventho I may not religiously practice it myself.

Hi miracle bebe

for myself, i don't do body check regularly. your post reminds me its time to do a body check n take good care of health.

all the best to you n your family too :)

Hello ladies, very sorry I didn't do quick reply..been bz with child and stressed with exams lol!

lovebabysg

I am like you too, not in habit of doing regular body checks and same goes with the everyday supplements necessary for overall health. hey guessed what? I hv yet to make that call with polyclinic and Ive just few days left before end-Oct, so what's holding me back, that's more likely the question? Yet....I don't hv an answer:)

No lah, am gonna get that done by Monday lah.

ahpeng,
by now I am assuming you already have your answer? well, if the rule does not say I must place that call of appointment only when I am 40, and upon speaking to the staff (on the other line) who does not ask, I don't see why I can't enjoy this subsidy for a Mammogram check after my birthday which will fall on, yet not after December:)

Thanks miracle bebe, i called in to make appt for myself n my mum. guess what.. i tot it was easy to pick up the pink coupons at guardians after i get my appointments.. to my surprise they told me all given out...
Gosh i quickly head dwn to metro, luckily they still hv a whole stack..hee...
Hope it is not an awful/painful experience, but what to do, we women have to really take care our breast and our health!!

Hi mousemoomoo

Sorry, been busy. Finally, a load of exam stress is over n done with! I only made the appointment for end Dec on Friday for Queenstown Polyclinic. Previously, I remember calling the number of the Polyclinic but now, the calls are handled by a call service line. Perhaps when I am free or have the time, I may call to find out if Victoria is still stationed at Queenstown.

As for pain or not, it's a woman's thing although men can also suffer from breast cancer. I'm wondering when would society encourage men to have a BSE or go for screening too. Stay positive and focus your thoughts and eyes on the good and all things shall work out well:) Haha, I am telling myself that also.

Back