36wks pregnant and suffering under bad gynae

I'm a patient under Dr HK Ho at Mt Alvernia hospital and got to know him through a friend's recommendation. However, my experience with him has been terrible and stressful.

I have been seeing him exclusively since I was around 5-6 weeks pregnant. Initially, everything was ok.. I was having some minor pregnancy discomforts but it was all quite mild and manageable and we only ask him about the discomforts at our next visit.. As always, whenever we tell him about any symptom, his usual, standard answer is "its normal" without further explanations or offer of any solution. Being first time mum, I do not feel any assurance from such unconcerned attitude of the doctor.

Throughout the pregnancy, I had thoughts of changing gynae but my husband was not supportive since we have been seeing him right from the start. Hence, I just tolerated and count my blessings that this pregnancy has been normal without complications.. I am also in good health and results of any tests has been good..

However, one day in my 28th week of pregnancy, I suddenly noticed sharp pain at my pubic area. I totally had no idea what it was and I was outside busy running some errands. By late afternoon, the pain was quite intense and I had to call the clinic. No one picked up the call as they were already closed. I then met my husband for dinner. After a nice hour long dinner, I stood up from my seat and suddenly froze as I could not move my legs! I stood still for a good 1-2 mins and the waitresses came to help me move from my chair!

The next morning, I called up the gynae again.. To my surprise and amusement, the nurses outright said that my gynae NEVER takes phone calls from patients and I have to go down personally. I explained my situation that I can't walk without assistance and instead of sympathizing with me, they keep repeating their policy.. It seems like their policy is of more importance to the patient's life. At that time, Mt Alvernia just finished constructing its new carpark and its lifts were still not operational. If I really make my way there as what they insisted, how am I supposed to walk down several floors of stairs on my own? My husband was working and he can't leave work at such short notice. My husband also called them and they gave a lame excuse that doctor is doing surgery now. I was fuming mad upon hearing this and was all the more determined to change gynae. However, my friend advised me from experience that it will be difficult and no gynae will take me as I was already in my 3rd trimester. I had no choice but to suffer in pain for the rest of my pregnancy!

i guess you don't really have much of a choice except to ...wait till u pop... abt 1 more mth to go. if u have no 2, dont go back to him if u rly dont like bein under him..

We tolerated with his unconcerned attitude and decided to just tahan with him till the pregnancy is over. However, problems do not end here.

At my 33rd week visit, I complained about having diarrhea that lasted me a few days already.. As usual, he brushed it off saying its lactose intolerance.. So the next 1-2 weeks, I stopped taking dairy products but the symtoms persists.. I called up the clinic again...

Instead, I got a lashing from the nurse! She reprimanded me for calling and said that after having called him and got rejected before, how can I not know that its usual practice of this doctor not to take phone calls!!

I really can't understand. I am having such stomach discomforts and 35 weeks pregnant, why is this gynae not even abit concerned? How can he even ask his nurse to reject my call? Should any responsible or professional doctor act in this manner?

At our last visit few days ago, we had a bad quarrel with him at the clinic. He ask me what I think could be the answer to my stomach pains.. I thought for a while and it came across my mind that it could be caused by the anxiety of the impending childbirth and not having a reliable gynae whom I can trust!

Last edited:
i guess you don't really have much of a choice except to ...wait till u pop... abt 1 more mth to go. if u have no 2, dont go back to him if u rly dont like bein under him..

Yup, really no choice but to share my experience here and vent a bit of my frustration.. I'm going crazy nowadays and keep scolding my poor husband..

If one day I ever have no. 2, for sure I won't be back to extend my suffering!!

Actually u still can change gynae at this stage. To be honest, I won't be comfortable to let a gynae I have so much differences to deliver my baby. The delivery process is a much more complicated issue.

Actually u still can change gynae at this stage. To be honest, I won't be comfortable to let a gynae I have so much differences to deliver my baby. The delivery process is a much more complicated issue.

Sadly, I dun tink changing gynae at this stage is an option. I don't have the energy to visit multiple gynae to decide who is good. Any good gynae also won't take in pregnant woman at such an advanced pregnancy stage as they dun have my pregnancy records.

My consideration is not just the above but also monetary as well..I've already paid $1200+gst for a package with this gynae. If I change, it means I have to forgo the balance visits.. I was also made to pay a $2800+gst deposit for the delivery already. Almost $5k in all!

Since u have made the decision, just be happy to prepare for the arrival of the baby. Have a smooth and safe delivery!

littlepeanut-ur experience dun sound like wat i know of from sm close gf who sees him.

but whichever doc, if u r not comfortable, u might b better off goin 2kkh 24h o&g or delivery suite to treat and for prenatal care.. at least if u dun like doc 1, u can switch 2doc 2.. no package, pay per tim. n can tak 1 bedder if u dun min payin $..

in anycase, if u really hav urgent any condition, jus walk in2 kkh/sgh/nuh o&g.. dun tak risk..

one more thg, @kk 24h o&g, there is a drop off near é clinic entrance, there r usually clinic assistant station there 2tak temp.. u can ask é taxi 2stop there, get è clinic ast 2find an ah-ma in white uniform 2brg a wheelchair 2wheel u to lvl 2 delivery suite 4treatm if u r more than 22wk pregnant...

u may b passed through several hands.. n hav 2 repeat many times ur condition, but è nurses will truely b very attentive n do smthg 2monitor.. n there will be a doc who will visit u.. may be a MO.. but they know the basic stuff n thgs 2check..

good luck, hope u have a smooth delivery..

@joy_meme, thanks for pointing out other options but it's rather disappointing to be neglected by my own doctor esp when i have been seeing him exclusively ever since I was pregnant..

On hindsight, maybe I should have visited and compare more gynaes and open up my options before settling with one. Rather stupid to get stuck with this current one now with no other options..

@joy_meme, anyway it's not about going to A&E or whatever. Cos after checking around with friends/ forums/ Google, I also found out that my symptoms ie pubic bone pain and irritable stomach are nothing but common pregnancy symptoms. There is no cause for any greater concerns if my gynae has been able to address it well. But he did not.

Being a first time mum, I wouldn't know the extent or seriousness of any problem unless I experience it before, every symptom is entirely foreign to me. With inadequate knowledge about pregnancy and being ignored by a doctor whom I initially thought I could rely on causes much psychological stress to my pregnancy.. I felt very helpless and neglected and had been unhappy throughout my pregnancy..

Little peanut, sorry for yr bad experience with yr gynae. Most impt is yr health and mind. As u going to deliver. U need to have a happy mind so that yr baby will be happy and not a cry baby.

I have a friend that went to private, have similar experience at week 36, she also forfeit her 5-6k to change dr. She is happier and deliever a beautiful gal in nuh.

If really dun like the dr, u still have to face him till after deliver as need followup.

Oh.. There's still follow-up after the delivery? The doc whom deliver for u need to be same as the follow-up?

At our last visit few days ago, we had a bad quarrel with him at the clinic. He ask me what I think could be the answer to my stomach pains.. I thought for a while and it came across my mind that it could be caused by the anxiety of the impending childbirth and not having a reliable gynae whom I can trust!
Haha for me Id probably shrug my shoulders and say. "dunno , it can be anything "

My first gynae was also like that, old man with super mood swings, always dismissing our questions no matter what we asked and had a very bad temper. I paid the package price too, but in the end I was depressed after each visit to his clinic, that my husband decided we should change gynae when I was in my mid 2nd trimester. We would rather forfeit the money, than to be "reprimanded" by him during each visit. Can't imagine myself being "scolded" by him during delivery!!!!

I m sorry that u had to go through such a bad experience with your gynae. I actually saw two gynaes during my pregnancy. I had an intention to deliver at a public hospital cos of the infrastructure n in case of complications such as nicu is more affordable n they have their own blood banks. But as with public hospital setting the gynae is always very busy n hard to make last min appts for small issue. So I saw another gynae near my place who charges reasonably. I also had irritable bowels etc n I told that gynae upfront that while I would love to have him deliver me my priority is still to deliver in public hospital cos he only delivers at Mt A. He was very professional n I still see him for small ailments sometimes. U could consider this arrangement. But since u are very near term I suggest just hang in there n hope for the best. Don't wait too late next time to change gynae

@joy_meme, anyway it's not about going to A&E or whatever. Cos after checking around with friends/ forums/ Google, I also found out that my symptoms ie pubic bone pain and irritable stomach are nothing but common pregnancy symptoms. There is no cause for any greater concerns if my gynae has been able to address it well. But he did not.

Being a first time mum, I wouldn't know the extent or seriousness of any problem unless I experience it before, every symptom is entirely foreign to me. With inadequate knowledge about pregnancy and being ignored by a doctor whom I initially thought I could rely on causes much psychological stress to my pregnancy.. I felt very helpless and neglected and had been unhappy throughout my pregnancy..

Little peanut, I feel sorry for you and can understand how you feel. I am also with Dr Ho. Now you are scaring me :-(. But so far I don't have any unpleasant experience with him but just that I find his charge more expensive than others and usually my consultation is very chop chop about 5 mins or shorter. I havent sign package with him yet cos I am week 17 now. I was having dilemma cos I heard his stitching skills are superb as he's recommended by my sis who delivered her first child under him. Sigh. Now i duno what to do.... I actually considering Dr Kenneth Lee at Mt A ....

Little peanut, I feel sorry for you and can understand how you feel. I am also with Dr Ho. Now you are scaring me :-(. But so far I don't have any unpleasant experience with him but just that I find his charge more expensive than others and usually my consultation is very chop chop about 5 mins or shorter. I havent sign package with him yet cos I am week 17 now. I was having dilemma cos I heard his stitching skills are superb as he's recommended by my sis who delivered her first child under him. Sigh. Now i duno what to do.... I actually considering Dr Kenneth Lee at Mt A ....

@Sotong Mummy, reason why I chose this doc was becos he was recommended by my best friend.. However, problem is she didn't see him right from the start.. In fact, she only started seeing him towards later part of her pregnancy, after 4-5 changes of gynaes... So she also couldn't really tell how good was the quality of care of this particular gynae. Except like what u mention, his stitches were good but that's about it..

I too find him pretty ex and nothing special.. In fact I'm very disappointed in the way he treated me when I needed his advice on the occasions I've mentioned.. Feel that he is only money- motivated and has absolutely no concern over the welfare of his patients.

When I needed his help the most, he persistently rejected my calls. Even when my husband called and persuaded him to at least talk to me to make me feel better, we were flatly refused! His only instructions thru his nurse were to make us go down to his clinic so that he can make the extra bucks from us!

As I have mentioned earlier, my pubic bone pain was so bad, I couldn't walk unassisted. It was really heartless of this doctor to insist that I visit his clinic without even bothering to talk to me. That was the very least we expected of him and we were already on the verge of begging him!

@ Sotong Mummy, just fyi. His package starts at week 20 for $1200+ gst. My other friend visited another gynae, Dr Benjamin Tham and he only charges $650 and package starts much earlier (I can't remember start from when). Dr Ho's fees are really ex!

Not only that, he collected $2800+gst deposit for his delivery when I was only 33 weeks. So far, what I heard is that most doctors don't collect deposit!

@ Sotong Mummy, just fyi. His package starts at week 20 for $1200+ gst. My other friend visited another gynae, Dr Benjamin Tham and he only charges $650 and package starts much earlier (I can't remember start from when). Dr Ho's fees are really ex!

Not only that, he collected $2800+gst deposit for his delivery when I was only 33 weeks. So far, what I heard is that most doctors don't collect deposit!
dr tham's pkg starts at wk 12. am his pt and I like him !

Thanks Littlepeanut. Yes I heard of Dr Benjamin Tham's price very cheap. For me, I looking at just average or slightly above average price. Most impt is the skill of gynae lor. Dr Benjamin is too popular and I dun like to be delivered in TMC. Btw, just curious, why didnt you go to A&E when it happened to you in the evening? So far Dr Ho has been quite ok to me and I feel grateful to him due to a problem I had earlier before I got pregnant and he adjusted to my tolerance of pain as I cried during the check up :p I was scolded by another gynae initially and was really shocked and angry. I see how. Mayb take a look at Dr Kenneth Lee's clinic one of these days :p

I will change if this is ur 1st bb. As u really dont know what to expect. I am with dr paul tseng. I can make calls at 3 am and get reply in 30 mins. Best lucks.

Hi littlepeanut,

I think it is very important to be able to trust and be comfortable with a doctor. If you do not trust or is not comfortable with the doctor and while you still have a little more time to term, you may want to consider changing doctor, as you will most probably need further support post delivery.

My daughter saw Dr Irene Chua and she commented that Dr Chua is very caring and patient.

Thanks Littlepeanut. Yes I heard of Dr Benjamin Tham's price very cheap. For me, I looking at just average or slightly above average price. Most impt is the skill of gynae lor. Dr Benjamin is too popular and I dun like to be delivered in TMC. Btw, just curious, why didnt you go to A&E when it happened to you in the evening? So far Dr Ho has been quite ok to me and I feel grateful to him due to a problem I had earlier before I got pregnant and he adjusted to my tolerance of pain as I cried during the check up :p I was scolded by another gynae initially and was really shocked and angry. I see how. Mayb take a look at Dr Kenneth Lee's clinic one of these days :p

Didn't occur to me to go A&E cos it wasn't anything that requires immediate medical attention. The pain feels like u've just sprained ur joints. Believe u wouldn't go to the extent of going A&E for such issues?

I tot I could just wait and hear my gynae's opinion and instructions. I totally didn't expect to be left in the lurch like that. Also heard from many friends that their gynae gave them their mobile numbers. For Dr Ho, I called his clinic at regular clinic operating hrs. Totally unexpected that he would refuse my call.

Last edited:
I will change if this is ur 1st bb. As u really dont know what to expect. I am with dr paul tseng. I can make calls at 3 am and get reply in 30 mins. Best lucks.

If I had known earlier that Dr Ho's attitude towards handling of patient's calls is like that, I would have skipped him.

Little peanut@ still not to late to change :) just give a call to few gynaes. Ask nurse if the gynae accept to take over at 36 weeks. Say u r really desperate. Which ever got slot for appoontment soon then go for it. Then go with ur gut feeling. At least give urself one more chance. During labour u really dont knkw what to expect. Some ppl get blood. Some ppl water burst.. some ppl etc.. and if this ur #1 u really can get panic eventhough u have friends to help and guide u but friends are still friends .. not medically train. Of coz hospital nurses place a part. But if u know ur gynae then anything u feel not right with the hospital nurse u can call and check with gynae ( just a tot).

Neways not trying to confuse u. Best of luck and hope u have a smooth delivery.

Little peanut@ still not to late to change :) just give a call to few gynaes. Ask nurse if the gynae accept to take over at 36 weeks. Say u r really desperate. Which ever got slot for appoontment soon then go for it. Then go with ur gut feeling. At least give urself one more chance. During labour u really dont knkw what to expect. Some ppl get blood. Some ppl water burst.. some ppl etc.. and if this ur #1 u really can get panic eventhough u have friends to help and guide u but friends are still friends .. not medically train. Of coz hospital nurses place a part. But if u know ur gynae then anything u feel not right with the hospital nurse u can call and check with gynae ( just a tot).

Neways not trying to confuse u. Best of luck and hope u have a smooth delivery.

@bbhopes2009, thanks so much for the advises and suggestions.. Will seriously consider.. However, as the pregnancy advances, I'm getting more and more tired and really no energy... Insomnia, diarrhea, swollen feet etc are bothering me everyday.. Sometimes just wish to let go of everything... If only it doesn't bother me so much.. Just my bad luck and bad decision... Keep blaming husband for insisting I stick with this gynae but at this stage really no energy for any more changes liao...

Hi i want to check with all. Now i am seeing mr don wong chun ping at admiralty. His package started 12 wks and only 660 only. I am wondering is he good gynae or any feedback? Pls advice me before i sign the package.

Littlepeanut@ i know how u feel. Neways u should be 38 weeks now then just let it be.

Just share experience. Make sure u tell ur husband dont panic. Whether u want to take epi or not let him know. Becos when labour pain comes a most calm person also can be lost. Sometimes all it takes is ur husband constant encouragement and u can manage to not use epi and deliver. But u know ur husbamd best. Some husbamd may be lost and end of the day u need to decide urself.

When ur next gynae appointment make sure u ask clearly. What signs i should take note that i could be in labour. For eg i was seeing red but tot i was spotting only then had mild contraction at 4am so dont know i was in labour or not. Sound stupid hor? I tot i see water gush out ( water bag broke) then its in labour haha

But again i am quite blur person .. thats why my advice for u early. Anyway just make sure u send links or articles tp ur husbamd to read up. Ask him to check out the hospital. Where is where. So when ur labour kicks in he is not blur and waiting for u to help him. Best of luck.

Its normal for all the symtomps. Just hang on. But then when bb is out u will wish bb still inside hahaha. Try ur best to rest during confinement too. Very important. :)

Omg!! Another screw up by this clinic!! Don't know what kind of bad luck I have to run into this kind of unscrupulous gynae!

We have been on package since week 20 of our pregnancy. We have an appt tmr but decided to bring it one day forward to today. However, when we left for lunch, we realized we were being charged an extra $200 for today's consultation! Husband blur blur paid for it and now he is back to bang table at the clinic to demand for a refund.

Damn ridiculous! I'm going to give birth anytime soon and keep running into lots of problems with this gynae!

Anyway, just to update that the clinic had refused to refund us the monies! It's really ridiculous. I dun understand why we were being charged a new set of fees and charges just because change the appointment date a day earlier??! In fact, our original appt tmr has been cancelled! Very pissed by the clinic assistants!

This is really the final straw! We are changing gynae! After bb is born, we will be making a claim from the medical council or the small claims tribunal!

@bbhopes2009, since u mentioned ur gynae, we decided to give him a try and saw him for the first visit just now... First impression was good... How's ur experience with him? Need to make a quick decision as I'm already 37weeks... Omg... Didn't expect such things to happen... TIA :)

Dr paul? He is famour for pro-.natural. he doesnt talk much. Kinda chop chop consultation but if u ask question he would answer. His machines are not extreme top top type.. he pretty much is less is better type of doctor. For eg 1st tri he dont give multi vit or fish oil.

My mom likes his stiching skills when she saw him stich me on my #1. Generally.. no issues with him. My issues with the anethetic who does epi. His 1st choice was away and i got his 2nd choice which i find not ethical. Still jab me when i am 8cm and didnt tell me.

Neways where u plan to giv birth? If u do at tmc.. benefit is his clinic there so he chk on u twice before u chk out.but again tmc is famous for its issues. So make sure ur hubby is wide alert. Make sure nurses are doing right etc.. dont forget u r paying for hospital. Fully utilise the service but dont be kiasu or mafan type.

@bbhopes2009, thanks so much for your sharing.. After going thru such streasful times with our ex-gynae, Dr HK Ho. really hope that Dr Paul will be better...

Visited his clinic shortly after our hospital tour at Mt A today.. Would say that he has friendly nurses and Dr Paul seems quite experienced as well.. He didn't scan the bb unlike the ex- Dr HK Ho whom scans and charges exorbitantly at $80-$100+gst every visit.

We were quite amazed when he could correctly tell the position of the bb including where the head, spine and limbs were located just by touching and feeling with his hands. The ex-gynae never once did that!

Anyway, is it really bad at TMC? We have been familiar with Mt A and so far our encounters with Mt A staffs and nurses have been good..

It's also convenient to find parking space since the new carpark bldg is up.. Our only complaint is that the rooms and delivery suites are rather old and rundown...

Just to share, all my friends had gd review of Dr Paul and he is very pro-natural. You can check whether Dr Paul deliver in Mt A. If he does, just go ahead to deliver in Mt A. Recently, TMC tell all their doctors to strongly encourage their patients to deliver in TMC so they have to promote TMC delivery suite. But in actual fact, most doctors are so experience that it makes no difference whether they deliver in TMC or Mt A.
My doctor is under TMC & 80% of her patients deliver in TMC. Initially, I have this thought that delivering in Mt A will put me in some kind of disadvantage but I'm wrong. I realized all my worries were unfound as these doctors have been in the biz so long tat they know the hospital very well.
Don't worry about your pregnancy, if possible, go on maternity leave earlier so you will feel more relax and less stress. All the best!

Dr paul does mt A.. mt E and Tmc. He prefer tmc becos if u need deliver he can just go down. And he does hospital rounds ard noon to check on u if u still in labour. Thats another benefit of tmc. As wat nurse say too 4 yrs ago. Well logically tmc will be also more convenient to dr paul in general also.

I am considering #2 for mt A is becos of the nurses actually as i had bad experience with nurse and lactation nurses in tmc . However due to convenient to have dr paul come fast i am reconsiderong using tmc again.. hahaha thats my dilemma now..

Well.. think of it. If u can just go down and do a deliver.. then u had to get ur car and drive to mt A from tmc with the traffic.. and thend rive back tmc ( during day time) its logic he prefer tmc haha

@bbhopes2009, so far we also feel nurses and lactation consultants at Mt A could be better than those in TMC.. TMC also feels very commercialized and cramp.. However, Mt A's downside is the rooms are not very inviting and has a old look and smell...

Littlepeanut... sorry to hear abt your experience. I will definitely change gynae if I were you. Have to feel comfortable with the gynae.. money spent can always be earned back. Quite shocked that the clinic refused to refund the $200 even. Operate like a 黑店

Littlepeanut@pls share ur experinece with mt A if u decided to go with mt A :)

And if u decided to go with dr paul.. make sure u ask clearly what type of symtoms should u go to hospital and see what his instruction is. Ask abt the pain reliefs types too and ask his view on them. Give urself a bit of time to think abt it. :)

Back