TTC with blocked fallopian tubes

asumi

Dear all,

I've been TTC since 2 years ago. Recently, both me and hubby went to do a series of tests at Raffles Hospital and results are very disappointing.

Hubby has got low sperm count, but it's a little bit on the borderline type of case.

With my HSG results, my right fallopian tube is blocked near the entry, about first 1/3 of the tube. Doctor said that it might be due to some infection, and because I've not gone for any surgery before, she cannot really tell the exact problem. For the left side of the fallopian tube, there is a flow, but it did not swell up and overflow at the end whereby it's suppose to, which also meant that it's blocked and nothing can be done to unblock it.

With my blood test results, all seems well, just that my AMH (Anti-Mullerian Hormone), which shows the ovarian reserve is very high. Normal ovarian reserve is 6.5-19.8, good ovarian reserve is anything above 19.8. Mine is 60.2.

For my case, the doctor recommend me to directly do IVF, skipping IUI in all. She does not recommend to do any surgery to unblock the right side of the fallopian, because even so, it's only 50% of the chance and plus hubby got low sperm count.

I'm thinking if we should go to TCM. I know that TCM can help in increasing sperm count, but am not sure if it can help to solve my issue with 2 blocked fallopian tubes. Or we should go to another doctor at KKH for a second opinion?

I hope to get more advise with the people in this forum. Thanks all!

Hi asumi,

I heard going to TCM can help to "tiao" (adjust) the body for conceiving but I think it might not be able to help much on the blocked tubes. You might want to go for second opinion, as I heard can't do much about the blocked tubes except going for IVF if you really want to TTC.

I am a mother of 5years old. I have an EP on 2012 (2nd pregnancy) and it was a terrible experience, that I have lost one of my tube, as the tube was rupture, till now it has left me with the remorse experience of a failed pregnancy. Currently, I only left with one tube, I don't know if my the other tube is healthy and whether I can conceive again. I have been waiting for long, for a day to know. I heard going through the test to check the tube is uncomfortable, is it true? And I am thinking of doing the test that you did, as my hubby and I am aging older each year. Can share with me how much you spend for the test and is it very tedious to go through the test?

After the EP experience, my doctor said that my ruptured tube looks ok, it is not blocked and it might be an isolated case : ( , while I managed to have my first child and they can't really explain how I got the EP in my second pregnancy. Yes, I did go through surgery that was I went through C-section to give birth to my first child. My doctor told me if the other tube is block (which I do not hope so), the only way is to do IVF if I really want to have another child. And she did not mentioned if can do surgery to unblock the tubes or not.

I've got the similar situation as you. After I went for the key hole surgery, kkh doctor said that they can't unblock my right tube. The left one seem damaged. I went to several tcm all of them told me can but tcm sure very long and don't know when can take see effect. If you are still young, you may try tcm slowly recover but if got age go for Ivf. Since is blocked tube no other infertility issue through Ivf you can get pregnant easily. I got a few friends same conditions like me got pregnant from first try. If you really want to try tcm, the one at marine parade is quite reputable and he is very confident sure can recover.

Hi asumi,

I heard going to TCM can help to "tiao" (adjust) the body for conceiving but I think it might not be able to help much on the blocked tubes. You might want to go for second opinion, as I heard can't do much about the blocked tubes except going for IVF if you really want to TTC.

I am a mother of 5years old. I have an EP on 2012 (2nd pregnancy) and it was a terrible experience, that I have lost one of my tube, as the tube was rupture, till now it has left me with the remorse experience of a failed pregnancy. Currently, I only left with one tube, I don't know if my the other tube is healthy and whether I can conceive again. I have been waiting for long, for a day to know. I heard going through the test to check the tube is uncomfortable, is it true? And I am thinking of doing the test that you did, as my hubby and I am aging older each year. Can share with me how much you spend for the test and is it very tedious to go through the test?

After the EP experience, my doctor said that my ruptured tube looks ok, it is not blocked and it might be an isolated case : ( , while I managed to have my first child and they can't really explain how I got the EP in my second pregnancy. Yes, I did go through surgery that was I went through C-section to give birth to my first child. My doctor told me if the other tube is block (which I do not hope so), the only way is to do IVF if I really want to have another child. And she did not mentioned if can do surgery to unblock the tubes or not.

hi,

i too had an EP and lost 1 tube. my first pregnancy and it really scarred me bad. to check if your existing tube is unblock, u can go and do HSG at hospital. it is pretty fast procedure where they insert dye into you thru some tubes. it is not painful but it does feels abit uncomfy. it only takes like 30mins or less. i cant remember the cost of the test but it is not too expensive. you may want to call up KKH as it has to be done within a certain cycle day. i did mine early this year. thankfully my remaining tube is not blocked.

Yup, twinsy is spot-on about the experience of the HSG. I wouldn't call it painful, just a bit uncomfy. I even managed to do it while I had diarrhoea from food poisoning! If I remember correctly, the cost to do it at KKH is between $150 and $180. Also, note that whether or not you have had a tube ruptured/removed, some docs insist you go for HSG to test for blockage before they approve for you to do IVF, so it's pretty hard to avoid it, if you want to do IVF.

nana80jojoyeo, my HSG bill is $252. Blood test sums up to $210. Sperm count test is $67. There's also other things like ultrasonic scan, consultation fee and practice costs. So far spent around $1k for all the tests and consultation at Raffles Hospital.

Hi Asumi, the tcm is at blk 81 marine parade called ban choon chan. This tcm is very popular you may google for more info. By the way, as the queue is very long, I stop visiting him after a few sessions so im not sure if he is good at helping unblock tubes but my friend was treated infertility did conceived after 1 year of constant taking his prescribed medicines.

Actually, prior to visiting the doctor for the series of tests, both of us went to TCM at Bukit Batok for around 6 months or so, think this TCM also been raved in this forum for infertility issues. But she did not detect my problem, in fact she didn't comment much about my or my hubby condition. Just gave us medication to "tiao" our health. After drinking her medication, i did noticed an increase in basal temperature thou...

But now that we found out this situation, hubby hoped that we visit the doctor at KKH first. Unless the doctor gave the green light to go TCM together with IVF, then go consult the TCM. Till then, maybe I will go back visit the Bukit Batok TCM and see what she says...

I did tried to go ban choon chan for 6 mths this yr but it didn't quite workable for my blocked tube. So I went for the key hole surgery in May and very luckily I got pregnant very quickly and I'm on my wk 17 now. I had a blocked tube on the right and a left side have lump cause by backflow mens.

It's on the high side cos it's at TMC. Total bill is $11,304.38, Medisave $2,750. If u have insurance u may wana try ask your agent cos it's claimable.

I did lapo in apr for a blocked tube n during surgery there were lumps due to backflow of menses flow..i had se endo cells too..still ttc..im seeing the bukit batok tcm for abt 2.5mths..i did in nuh so mine was ard 3k..
Pls ensure ur doc do not diagnose as infertility otherwise cant claim..u might want to check with ur insurance co

Hi asumi, I've blocked tubes and also with Raffles Hospital. Failed my fresh cycle and failed my frozen cycle earlier this year. I'm preparing for another frozen cycle and am wondering whether I should continue with Raffles. May I ask which doc are you with? Any feedback? TIA

Hi asumi, I've blocked tubes and also with Raffles Hospital. Failed my fresh cycle and failed my frozen cycle earlier this year. I'm preparing for another frozen cycle and am wondering whether I should continue with Raffles. May I ask which doc are you with? Any feedback? TIA
Hi Hope2bb, I am with Dr Sheila Loh. Likely be going to KKH to look for Dr Tan HH for my IVF, cos got subsidy...

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm also with her. Your description of HSG experience is exactly like mine too.

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm also with her. Your description of HSG experience is exactly like mine too.
May i know who's your doctor at Raffles Hospital? The doctor told you to consider IVF right after you're diagnosed, or are there more tests to be done?

Same doc. Yes straight away IVF cos IUI won't work for blocked tubes. I'm already late 30s. I did a series of other tests including semen, blood, hormones etc. How about you?

Guess we did about the same stuffs. Just that i haven't reach 30. But if got blocked tubes, guess cannot really conceive thru the normal way also. Did Dr Loh suggest you to go KKH?

Hi all, I hope I'm not too late in my sharing. First of all, please do not believe the doctor's judgment or advice 100%. When I met my fertility doc for the first time, without running any tests, she was more eager to 'sell' me expensive solutions such as ivf and iui. When I probed further, she then suggested hsg. I did mine and it was worse than childbirth somehow. Fr the hsg, both my tubes were blocked. Doc suggested laparoscopy which costs 5k! It wasn't the money I can't bear to part but the idea of doing a surgery that freaked me out. Again, I probed for other options then she said I could do the advanced hsg which is known as Fallopian tubal recanalisation. It's similar to hsg except xray dyes are injected at higher pressure and I was given Anaesthesia. It's a day procedure and cost about 1 or 2k. The doc who treated me was very gd and detailed unlike the fertility doc. The outcome was my tubes became unblocked and I immediately conceived the next month!! My gal is almost two years old now. While my hubby's sperm count is normal, doc said the shape of it looks unusual. Now I wonder if they said that to make me consider more advanced (and more expensive) procedures. I'm sharing my experiences for your considerations and to spread some hope.

Last edited:
Hi all, I hope I'm not too late in my sharing. First of all, please do not believe the doctor's judgment or advice 100%. When I met my fertility doc for the first time, without running any tests, she was more eager to 'sell' me expensive solutions such as ivf and iui. When I probed further, she then suggested hsg. I did mine and it was worse than childbirth somehow. Fr the hsg, both my tubes were blocked. Doc suggested laparoscopy which costs 5k! It wasn't the money I can't bear to part but the idea of doing a surgery that freaked me out. Again, I probed for other options then she said I could do the advanced hsg which is known as Fallopian tubal recanalisation. It's similar to hsg except xray dyes are injected at higher pressure and I was given Anaesthesia. It's a day procedure and cost about 1 or 2k. The doc who treated me was very gd and detailed unlike the fertility doc. The outcome was my tubes became unblocked and I immediately conceived the next month!! My gal is almost two years old now. While my hubby's sperm count is normal, doc said the shape of it looks unusual. Now I wonder if they said that to make me consider more advanced (and more expensive) procedures. I'm sharing my experiences for your considerations and to spread some hope.
Thanks a lot for sharing! It's not too late for me, cos my appointment with the KKH doctor is coming Friday...

Thanks a lot for sharing! It's not too late for me, cos my appointment with the KKH doctor is coming Friday...

All the best, asumi. Anyway every individual's body is also different so I'm not advocating my treatment just because it works for me but do balance your own views, the doctor's and also feedback from others when making any decisions. I'm just glad I didn't straightaway consider IVF or laparoscopy.

The HSG could only test if fallopian tubes are blocked but not able to determine why they are blocked. This is probably why doctors immediately recommend laparoscopy or IVF I think? But I still feel that there may not be a need to go to such extent if my fallopian tubes could be unblocked through FTR (fallopian tubal recanalisation). For some patients, I heard that FTR only helps to unblock one side and not the other but they still have 50% of chances to conceive and some really managed to. Also, for your knowledge, after FTR, there is still this likelihood of fallopian tubes being occluded again but if this ever happens to me again, I think I'll know what to do.

Anyway to conceive, other than doing FTR, I tried to also have sex every other day a few days leading to the ovulation period and also got my hubby to ensure the 'quality of his sperm' by not 'doing it himself' during that period.
Try not to get up immediately after doing it too.

Hope the above tips help!

evetteng2013, thanks for sharing. May I know who is your doc?

Hi Hope2bb, my doctor is not from Raffles hospital but KKH and she is none other than the head of her unit. Her name is Dr. Sadhana. I didn't know who to consult so I thought it wouldn't go wrong to choose someone I paid more for (how wrong I was).

I would say she's not a very dedicated doctor. For instance, she gave me all the major and expensive options like IVF, laparoscopy and IUI before we knew the results of all my tests.
Also, after HSG was done, she continued to suggest laparoscopy to unblock my tubes. I probed further then she introduced fallopian tubal recanalisation, which I later did. Though her explanation was FTR may not be able to check if you have a growth in the tubes but laparoscopy would, I felt she could have mentioned both procedures and let me choose.

Anyway, after my FTR, I went back for review. It was rather unprofessional of her to ask me, "So...have you decided? Are you doing FTR?" I said, "Huh? I've done it. I'm here for my report and review." That's when she went oh...and started flipping through the pages of my report and said yes, you have done it. I then asked her if everything's okay because according to the doctor who did FTR for me, he said my right side was heavily blocked and he took a longer time to clear it and as a result, it's slightly swollen compared to the left. Her reply was, "Oh...everything's okay. Nothing is indicated here as a problem." What the...?!!! If she's a concerned doctor who's willing to spend quality time treating me, I believe she would have called the doctor personally to find out more. Or...if she had been more knowledgeable, perhaps she would explain that such swelling is normal and would just take a few days to subside or something. Nothing else was offered by her. No explanation, nothing. Perhaps other patients are more important than me because they could give her the quota of IVF for the month or something. Anyway I'm just thankful to the doctor who administered FTR on me. He is Dr. Luke Toh. If any of you need to do this procedure, you could request for him I guess. He's patient, detailed, caring and skilful. I was given partial sedation during the FTR and was fully conscious. It wasn't painful at all. :)

Hi Hope2bb, my doctor is not from Raffles hospital but KKH and she is none other than the head of her unit. Her name is Dr. Sadhana. I didn't know who to consult so I thought it wouldn't go wrong to choose someone I paid more for (how wrong I was).

I would say she's not a very dedicated doctor. For instance, she gave me all the major and expensive options like IVF, laparoscopy and IUI before we knew the results of all my tests.
Also, after HSG was done, she continued to suggest laparoscopy to unblock my tubes. I probed further then she introduced fallopian tubal recanalisation, which I later did. Though her explanation was FTR may not be able to check if you have a growth in the tubes but laparoscopy would, I felt she could have mentioned both procedures and let me choose.

Anyway, after my FTR, I went back for review. It was rather unprofessional of her to ask me, "So...have you decided? Are you doing FTR?" I said, "Huh? I've done it. I'm here for my report and review." That's when she went oh...and started flipping through the pages of my report and said yes, you have done it. I then asked her if everything's okay because according to the doctor who did FTR for me, he said my right side was heavily blocked and he took a longer time to clear it and as a result, it's slightly swollen compared to the left. Her reply was, "Oh...everything's okay. Nothing is indicated here as a problem." What the...?!!! If she's a concerned doctor who's willing to spend quality time treating me, I believe she would have called the doctor personally to find out more. Or...if she had been more knowledgeable, perhaps she would explain that such swelling is normal and would just take a few days to subside or something. Nothing else was offered by her. No explanation, nothing. Perhaps other patients are more important than me because they could give her the quota of IVF for the month or something. Anyway I'm just thankful to the doctor who administered FTR on me. He is Dr. Luke Toh. If any of you need to do this procedure, you could request for him I guess. He's patient, detailed, caring and skilful. I was given partial sedation during the FTR and was fully conscious. It wasn't painful at all. :)
Thank you for your feedback! It will sure help me in deciding my options available!

Hi evetteng, good to know abt ur success....can u plz let me know whether ur FT blockage was proximal or distal? I'm diagnonised with left FT hydrosalpinx (distal)

For mine, left side is proximal, right side is distal. I had my operation done at KKH, total damage is about 2.5k after subsidy. 2k can be deducted from medisave, the rest pay by cash. Doctor cause of blockage is due to the thickening of the uterus wall.

Thanks evetteng2013 for sharing! Can u share Dr Luke toh is from which hospital? And how much u spent for ur FTR?

I am also don know which doc to consult, can anymore recommend? My condition is I have my eptopic pregnancy abt 3 years ago n left with one tube and hoping to ttc with the left over tube. And I not sure should I check if my left over is not block & healthy and I can proceed to ttc.

Hi evetteng, good to know abt ur success....can u plz let me know whether ur FT blockage was proximal or distal? I'm diagnonised with left FT hydrosalpinx (distal)
Hi, sorry I seldom visit this site. only read your message now. I don't rem if my FT blockage was proximal or distal because my fertility doc was really not detailed in her explanation. I just remember that my tubes were very thin and full of 'twists and turns' and that's why blockages became very common. In fact now I may have to see a fertility doc again because I still couldn't conceive a second one. I think my tubes are probably blocked again sigh. I don't know who to look for too but will likely return to kkh for consultation and treatment.

Thanks evetteng2013 for sharing! Can u share Dr Luke toh is from which hospital? And how much u spent for ur FTR?

I am also don know which doc to consult, can anymore recommend? My condition is I have my eptopic pregnancy abt 3 years ago n left with one tube and hoping to ttc with the left over tube. And I not sure should I check if my left over is not block & healthy and I can proceed to ttc.

Hi...Dr. Luke Toh Han Wei is from kkh too but he's not my fertility doc. He was the doc who performed FTR for me to unblock my tubes. I think he's very good because during the process, he was very calm and assuring. Also detailed in explaining to me that my right tube was very much blocked compared to my left but he did help to unblock both tubes just that the right was slightly swollen after the procedure. The FTR cost me about 1-2k ...I can't rem and can't find the receipt too but I rem it's not that costly. It's also a day procedure with 2 days of mc.

I did tried to go ban choon chan for 6 mths this yr but it didn't quite workable for my blocked tube. So I went for the key hole surgery in May and very luckily I got pregnant very quickly and I'm on my wk 17 now. I had a blocked tube on the right and a left side have lump cause by backflow mens.

Hi. Was your doctor Loh Sf at TMC? I have bilateral hydrosalpinx. Not sure if j should go back to him to do a proper laparoscopy ...

Dear all,

I've been TTC since 2 years ago. Recently, both me and hubby went to do a series of tests at Raffles Hospital and results are very disappointing.

Hubby has got low sperm count, but it's a little bit on the borderline type of case.

With my HSG results, my right fallopian tube is blocked near the entry, about first 1/3 of the tube. Doctor said that it might be due to some infection, and because I've not gone for any surgery before, she cannot really tell the exact problem. For the left side of the fallopian tube, there is a flow, but it did not swell up and overflow at the end whereby it's suppose to, which also meant that it's blocked and nothing can be done to unblock it.

With my blood test results, all seems well, just that my AMH (Anti-Mullerian Hormone), which shows the ovarian reserve is very high. Normal ovarian reserve is 6.5-19.8, good ovarian reserve is anything above 19.8. Mine is 60.2.

For my case, the doctor recommend me to directly do IVF, skipping IUI in all. She does not recommend to do any surgery to unblock the right side of the fallopian, because even so, it's only 50% of the chance and plus hubby got low sperm count.

I'm thinking if we should go to TCM. I know that TCM can help in increasing sperm count, but am not sure if it can help to solve my issue with 2 blocked fallopian tubes. Or we should go to another doctor at KKH for a second opinion?

I hope to get more advise with the people in this forum. Thanks all!

Hi i am in the same situation as you. both tubes are blocked and husband has sperm issue as well. just want to find out did you proceed with IVF after that? TIA!

Back