Constipated after drinking Similac Stage 2

Phyllis76

My girl has been consuming Similac Stage 1 since birth. She is on full formula milk since her 3rd month as I have insufficient BM supply. She was alright all along with Stage 1 and no issue on passing motion. Recently as she turns 6 months, we have switched to Stage 2 Similac and we realised that she has difficulty passing out motion. This entire week has the worst, she cried as she was trying to pass out her motion. Yesterday, we have to go A&E to get the doctor to manually remove her faeces as she has trouble forcing them out. Then Woah-Lah... there are so much so that the doctor says,... these doesn't seems only 1 day constipated, it looks like 3 - 4 days. We are recommended by the doctor to give her more fibre fruits / food as well as more water.

I was advised to switch back to stage 1 Similac and slowly introduce Stage 2 concurrently.

Any mother has experience such issue before? What else should I look out for to prevent my baby girl to have such bad trauma constipation. I am only afraid that she might (in future) stopped passing motion because this experience makes her fear of passing motion.

I would actually wish to start with allowing my girl to drink lots of water from now onwards since she is over 6 months old. (considering that she is on full formula milk now). Is there any guideline on how much I should give or should not exceed.

my girl also have constipation problem whenever she switch from stage 1 - 2 - 3 ( similac)
from what I know similac fm is on the heaty side.
During the switch process, she will cry whenever she poo and sometime the faeces just stuck half way and cannot come out.
we have to slowly massage to let it come out and it will bleed a bit

my pd advise to feed her delmonte prune juice .concentrate from the bottle.30ml nick
I tried this method and she is no problem passing motion after that.

you may try

Hi Skiasia, may I ask when you switch to stage 1 - 2, are you still breastfeeding her?

Massage: Can I know how do you normal massage when your baby is having difficult passing motion? I would like to learn.

At what age did you feed your girl with prune juice? Can my girl at 6 months drink that as well? Bec she has not been introduce with solid food yet and beside the point, Prune juice is quite sweet which she has not tasted sweetness as yet.

hi
my gal is on full fm since 2nd month.
I only bf for 1 month.

use your both index finger and go in circular motion near the anus where the faeces is stuck.press lightly for the faeces to come out.
I feed her at 6 month when she has constipation problem only.

if you think is too sweet and it is her first time to try,you may want to dilute with water.
but not too much as too dilute will not be effective.

you can also try apple puree

Thanks Skiasia,

Great help indeed. Yesterday evening fed her apple puree. I bought apple, steam it and smashed them for my girl to eat. She loves it a lot. We will slowly increase the quantity and monitor her as she seems to have allergic to something recently, which I am still not sure which is it.

When she is 6mth old, I fed her with Stage 2 Smiliac and also Rice Cereal, then suddenly she has heat rash and 2 over shape redness on her chest just below her neck. Nurse says it is heat rash, but I think otherwise. Heat Rash supposed to be red spots, but these particular 2 over shape redness doesn't look like heat rash and it has been there for almost 2 weeks already and doesn't goes off. So I have stopped the rice cereal. Now already stopped for 1 week, but the over shape redness still there.

I am still monitoring, if by tomorrow, the over shape redness doesn't goes off, we have to stop the Stage 2 smiliac and go back to stage 1 and see how it goes and retest the rice cereal again if the redness subsided.

Apple purée does not help in my girl constipation. I gave my 6 months old girl 100% prune juice from Ntuc without any sugar and preservatives dilute with abit of water after she did not pass motion for one week. Very effective for me and she stops having the juice now, her poo is still smooth unlike in the past was so hard till bleed and cried

Thanks Poohbear8383. Okie noted. After her visit to hospital last week, her daily bowels are much more better now. I will take note of all your comments and monitor her. it was a very bad week for her last week.

Hi mummys , my boy drinks 80 to 90 % bm, when I try upgrade to similac 2 , he experience more hard on poo texture. After drink more liquid which helps to soften.

You can try for a Similac Stage 2 for growth your 6month baby I recently bought it on cureka I see the goods result for my baby Share your comments if any of you used this.

Back