IVF with KKH (Dr Matthew Lau)

Haiz so sad now that I need to abort this cycle.... Did my scan yest at day 16, my dr say my follicle not growing well. Biggest only abt 9mm. She said with clomid by right day 16 shld grow quite big n almost ready for O, but my not showing that so unlikely to O in this cycle. Ask me book appt for ivf. Upset that this mth I prepared so much Liao then haven even try then she tell me no point trying coz I wont O.

Then now Dr Lau's appt also so far away 15/10 for first visit. Really lost dunno what to do in btw this period!

Hugs. I had PCOS so had irregular ovulation too. I rem u are seeing another private gynae right. How abt get clomid from ur private gynae and keep trying while waiting to do ivf?

I'm at 14w now. I had been seeing Dr. Lau for a few years for fertility issues. I hope he can deliver my baby coz I think it would be so meaningful that he saw me thru my ivf, and this baby is finally successfully conceived.

I'm not under dr Lau but would like to jump in..

Clomid is usu the first line of med given to help ovulate n my dr thh prescribed me letrozole after that.. It's better for us I read, u might wanna try.

Hi, I'm starting my 1st IVF cycle this month and just started puregon on Friday. I'm gng for 2nd scan n seeing Dr Lau on Tue. Anyone know why i need to see doctor on the 2nd scan? Seems a little different from iui.

Hi, I'm starting my 1st IVF cycle this month and just started puregon on Friday. I'm gng for 2nd scan n seeing Dr Lau on Tue. Anyone know why i need to see doctor on the 2nd scan? Seems a little different from iui.
Hi blurblur, was Friday yr first scan? I just started in puregon today and only due back for scan on thurs. Usually after scan will see doc that is on duty. May not be yr assigned doc.

Hi blurblur, was Friday yr first scan? I just started in puregon today and only due back for scan on thurs. Usually after scan will see doc that is on duty. May not be yr assigned doc.
Oic, thanks. I started 1st scan on Thur and injection on Fri. Tues is 2nd scan + 1st consultation.

hi ladies,

i am also starting my first IVF journey with Dr Lau. I am also PCOS and have been TTC-ing for 3+ years. i succeeded on my 3rd clomid cycle but unfortunately it is a Heterotopic pregnancy (ie one in the f tube and one outside) and of coz it ruptured and damage my right tube.

i will be starting my cycle in Oct. hoping to hit the jackpot. bio clock is ticking.

good luck ladies

Hi ladies,
I going for thaw cycle at kkh. This fri will be the ultrasound. Hope i can do the ivf soon.
All the best to all mummy

Hi Jieqi,

All the best to u too! Btw can I ask what u mean by thaw cycle?? I'm new to ivf, will be only seeing first dr appt in oct. I jus wanna understand more abt the workflow of ivf.

Oh same as me, my first scan was on thurs. I was on orgalutran for 3 days before starting on puregeon. Protocol seems a little different.
Would u mind sharing why doctor prescribed orgalutran? Did the doctor explain?
My next scan also fall on Thurs. I'm quite happy w yesterday result even though it's not fantastic. Got 10 eggs n 2 of which are size 11, the rest still relatively small. Hopefully by Thurs the rest will grow big enuf for storing. Jia you ladies!

Jieqi, i agree w u. It's good to see Chinese sin seh to tio our body. I didn't tio my body for my 1st iui process and it's v difficult for me to cope. This time round b4 i start ivf, I've been seeing Chinese sin seh for close to 2 months n i can feel the difference. I've more eggs growing n better than the 1st iui cycle, and do not have those nasty symptoms. Like nausea, giddy spell n also not as bloated as b4. :p

Would u mind sharing why doctor prescribed orgalutran? Did the doctor explain?
My next scan also fall on Thurs. I'm quite happy w yesterday result even though it's not fantastic. Got 10 eggs n 2 of which are size 11, the rest still relatively small. Hopefully by Thurs the rest will grow big enuf for storing. Jia you ladies!
Orgalutran is given to prevent premature ovulation.

Hi Ladies
Wish all of u good luck on your ivf :)

i have a few questions to seek help. :( i have been in this forum for so many yrs, still waiting for my baby, too bad it didn't happen.

considering to seek gynae advice on doing iui. not sure if i am able to do iui or not due to some infertility with both hub n me... or maybe gynae will suggest ivf.

may i know some reviews on dr matthew lau from KKH? if i go in as subsidy patient, cannot choose doc, how is his rate?

though i have heard a lot of awful reviews on how bad n rude the nurses were, how insensitive the nurses were and how rough they were... but i due to my financial constraint, i may not be able to do it as pte cos no subsidy for ivf. but i have heard if i choose gynae at kkh, i m also paying pte rate same as the pte hosp??? :eek: then how? if i wanna do ivf or iui but e gynae is always different??? i m at great loss!

Thanks in advance

Hi Emily_Emily,

U may want to refer to posts #2222, #2226, #2243, #2250, #2254 in this thread abt IVF.

If u are intending to go kkh as a subsidized patient, u need to go visit a doctor at the polyclinic to get a referral letter. Do note that u need to wait for quite a while for ur appt in kkh. If u dun mind gg as a private patient, u can call/email kkh to get an appt with the doc u want.

Once u move on to ivf centre (another clinic on its own), it's private rate until u bfp/bfn and goes back to subsidized clinic to see doc on duty or ur chosen doc as private patient.

At ivf centre, u dun see ur doc until IUI transfer or IVF ER (egg retrieval). U see the ivf doc on duty.

My ttc experience with KKH nurses and Dr. Lau has been great so far. I find the nurses very caring, detailed and always ready to answer my questions. Dr. Lau is a very skillful doc. Nowadays govt and restructured hospitals are very good and particular about service standards so I think u can be assured of good service. Some docs and nurses have their bad days and I dun think u will continually meet with such unfortunate situations (unless really that suay :p).

I suggest u just get a referral clinic from the polyclinic to see a doc as a subsidized patient since u have financial constraint. Have a feel how things are at KKH then proceed from there. :)

Last edited:
Emily_Emily, just sharing my personal review of Dr. Lau so far.

During my ttc journey in KKH, I was less concerned abt who reviews me during IUI and IVF, but I was very assured by Dr. Lau's skills.

I had found out Dr. Lau's profile which indicated he possesses Level 3 Laparoscopy and Hysteroscopy skill set so I was assured if I had needed procedures before IUI or IVF, I would be in good hands. Furthermore, my experience with him during times that I needed a check below, ER and ET were very good. He was assuring, gentle and fast enough so I wasn't uncomfortable.

I'm 17 weeks along. I'm still seeing Dr. Lau now. So far so good. There's a mummy in this thread who commented he's pro-natural, pro-breast feeding and has good stitching skills.

Last edited:
:)thanks mosburger for ur link, thanks for sharing ur gynae, thanks for filling me up info on ivf. I will read them up slowly. and big congrats to u ! take care. hope u have a smooth preg n delivery

jieqi66 ur u/s is today. how was everything? all e best to u!

all e best to all ladies here!!! rmb to stay positive, stay happy and take care.

Last edited:
Hi ladies, anyone has failed 1st IVF due to poor egg quality (1 egg transferred) but succeeded on 2nd fresh? Any valuable advice to share for preparation?

Just went to see dr Lau this morning. He doesn't recommend Ivf for us, despite knowing that I had tried clomid for 7 cycles. He want me to try letrozole first.. Any ladies tried this before?

Just went to see dr Lau this morning. He doesn't recommend Ivf for us, despite knowing that I had tried clomid for 7 cycles. He want me to try letrozole first.. Any ladies tried this before?
Hi there,cant advise u much on this as i do not have e chance to be able to skip ivf for conception.
But i feel that u maybi should listen to dr lau n try on medication method once? As ivf is invasive,best to avoid if can. And also ivf have emotional strain to handle plus e injections

Hi there,cant advise u much on this as i do not have e chance to be able to skip ivf for conception.
But i feel that u maybi should listen to dr lau n try on medication method once? As ivf is invasive,best to avoid if can. And also ivf have emotional strain to handle plus e injections

Thanks, I'll be trying it for this coming AF(dunno when will come) while waiting to complete some pre test. Dr Lau wanna my hub to repeat SA, coz last result in 2012. So he say don't waste time try this oral med n see how.

Connie_hopeful which stage are u in now?

I just removed my polyp found from saline sis scan n now waiting for doc review in nov :) doc has not give greenlight to proceed ivf yet,need to wait fpr review see wat doc says :)

Hi jieqi,thanks for e reply. Actualli i prefer dr lau. I shall go for my polyp removal post review n see if i can changed back the dr to dr lau or not.

Are u with dr matthew lau now?

Last edited:
Niece, i am private for e day surgery op which i did until tan hh. I want to switch back to dr lau after my post op review. Previously under dr lau with poly clinic letter. Hope dr lau is not angry and its still ok to switch back to him as private.

Hi sisters, anyone knows if Dr lau see patients on Wed morning or hv seen him on a Wednesday morning?
I saw him last Wed morning.

His consultation days at Clinic D are Tue, Wed and Thu. But he does run off every now and then for surgeries if u see him in the morning.

I find Dr. Lau a very careful doc. I rem he told me many, many times tt ivf is the last resort. Did u give him a record of ur medical history? Have u done the tests recommended? What did he conclude from ur history and results? Did Dr. Lau say why is ivf not recommended for u?

For my case, I took clomid for many cycles too, then went on to IUI before finally allowed to do ivf. The reason was becoz my hubby and I started w a case of unexplained infertility. My test results revealed my womb was ok, egg reserve was good, tubes were ok, hubby's sperm was ok, etc. but I dun ovulate in some of my cycles. It's like all the machine parts are in good order so Dr. Lau initially did not recommend tt we do ivf. PCOS was only diagnosed later. It took something like 6 months to confirm I wasn't ovulating regularly every menstrual cycle.

While age is an issue for us ladies, but u really can't rush in medical procedures. If u understand ur body well enough from ur medical reports, u may want to go for TCM at the same time. Bring along ur medical reports. Some TCM docs can read medical reports.

Last edited:
Connie_hopeful, if u are a private patient, u can request for ur preferred doc. Just call in to book an appt.
Hi mosburger,thank you. I have benefited much from yr advises so far.
I only scared dr lau angry with me for going to tanhh for polyp removal n not him but finding him back for
ivf. Hope he will not angry with me

Hi mosburger,thank you. I have benefited much from yr advises so far.
I only scared dr lau angry with me for going to tanhh for polyp removal n not him but finding him back for
ivf. Hope he will not angry with me
U're most welcome. I get a lot of support from this forum too. I found it so comforting tt there were ppl trying as hard as I did to conceive while my friends around didn't have to go thru such experiences. As I continue to follow some threads, I really hope ppl who are still trying will succeed one day too.

Hugs, connie_hopeful. U must jiayou ok!

I dun think Dr. Lau would be angry lah. Haha... A friend told me before one of doctors' KPI in public hospitals is the no. of private patients they are seeing. Coz when a patient sees a specific doctor exclusively, there is a way to better track the patient's treatments and progress, then the hosp can assess the doc's skills better. Good for both doc and patient. If u are worried, why dun u drop an email to Dr. Lau first, indicating ur preference to continue treatment with him, and sound him out? While it's important the doctor has good skills (so many good doctors out there nowadays), u need to have a doctor whom u can 'click' with so that u can feel more assured and just trust that doc to do his/her job.

I started off with KKH as a subsidized patient so I have also seen other docs other than Dr. Lau. Then I was private patient of another doc at KKH (sorry I dun want to say who, doc is good but I dun feel comfortable w tt doc) so I switched and stayed on with Dr. Lau. Dr. Lau didn't ask why I switched but I just briefly told him I'm more comfortable seeing him, and well, we had a good doc-patient relationship for a good 2-3 years. Haha, now u can easily guess how long I had been trying to conceive. :p

To share with u further, after I bfp from ivf, at the first pregnancy consultation back with Dr. Lau, he was very nice to offer me choices: (1) to see a different doc for follow-up to support my pregnancy or (2) continue to see him. I find him a very nice doctor.

Last edited:

Back